View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 DT Ndamukong Suh 
Walk On

CalvintheBeast wrote:
I'm glad to see the Lions are at least apparently demanding a lot in trade. That's the *only* reason I would like to see them trade down for: someone mortgaging the proverbial farm for that #2 pick.

Now, in hindsight it was better the Lions didn't. CJ is one of the very few good players drafted by Millen, and he likely would have screwed up royally with all those picks. But the fact is, a trade offer like that doesn't come along every day, and the more picks you have the better your chances of hitting on a player worthwhile that can help the team (unless you are named Moron of the Millennium, then you just suck).

The Problem is you need great players to win. Top 15 you tend to have 4-6 PB players a year. 15-32 maybe two. A move back if your sure on someone like Suh for bodies could be really bad. All of a sudden you past on one of the cornerstone members of the team for the next 10 years depth and a chance a decent to good players. Even if you think you will make the greatest picks at those spots those players are not likely to amount to much more then general purpose starters available off of rookie contracts in FA.

Now the deal you put up is within 200-300 points of value. Maybe have them throw in a RB and to tie it up. Even at 200 in value I could see the "deepness" of the draft and increased value of the second round as rounding it up. So even without a random player thrown in Mayhew might not pass it up.

The only trade I ever challenged was the 3 third rounders trade with the Browns because it was a late 1st in value off. But with Schwartz and Mayhew in charge both are numbers people, they are not going to throw away a pick just horde up on depth, but they are not going to be the in love type people where they absolutely have to pick a player, well maybe Stafford, but that is because of the increased value of the QB position.

April 17th, 2010, 11:08 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Ndamukong Suh was on the Jimmy Fallon show last night. I've been looking for a YouTube video of it, but haven't found one yet. I managed to see the last few minutes of it, but would like to see the rest. Anyways, he came across as very intelligent, humble, and well-spoken. He also doesn't know where he'll end up, but said that the Rams, Lions, and Bucs appeared to be the most interested. He also met Matt Stafford at the Super Bowl and they talked for awhile. I didn't know that. Jimmy Fallon was also pumping up the city of Detroit, which I found surprising.

April 17th, 2010, 11:42 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/friday-april-16-2010/1219656/

IT starts at 32 minutes

April 17th, 2010, 1:50 pm
RIP Killer

The Problem is you need great players to win. Top 15 you tend to have 4-6 PB players a year. 15-32 maybe two. A move back if your sure on someone like Suh for bodies could be really bad. All of a sudden you past on one of the cornerstone members of the team for the next 10 years depth and a chance a decent to good players. Even if you think you will make the greatest picks at those spots those players are not likely to amount to much more then general purpose starters available off of rookie contracts in FA.

1. Great players can be found throughout the draft, not just in the first round. And although I understand that most great players come from the top of the first round, most of the monumental busts do as well.

2. Great players without support from their teammates equate to a losing team. The Lions need a talent infusion, not necessarily just a great player or two. I'd prefer to see them land four to five players of starting quality (notice I said quality, not necessarily immediate starters) than to land one "elite" player and strike out on the rest.

3. Great players get injured. That they do is inevitable. Lack of quality depth will eventually get exposed.

4. 'Cornerstone' type players won't stick around for 10 years if you don't get others on the team that can help them to win. If the Lions don't make a solid move this year to becoming a respectable franchise, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see CJ start looking for a way out. And then, where is your 'cornerstone'?

5. I'll take a team full of 'general purpose' starters over a team with three or four superstars, and the rest of the team filled with mediocre players who would be backups on another franchise. The Lions already have their 'superstar' in place (CJ, Stafford, Delmas, Levy). Getting another one would help, but unless they improve their depth, they better hope those superstars are bullet proof. We already know they aren't.

I'm not saying I don't want the Lions to take Suh. But they have to determine whether that one player is going to be enough of a difference maker to offset adding talent at multiple positions. Remember, this draft has about 40 guys that are solid first round talent. And truthfully, I think that number is probably a bit low. I think it's close to 50-55. Multiple picks inside the top 64 will surely net you multiple starters, or at least an overall increase in the talent on your roster and depth players. The Lions definitely shouldn't just jump at the chance to trade out of that spot. But they shouldn't make the price so high that no other teams even both to investigate making a trade.

April 17th, 2010, 4:01 pm
Heisman Winner

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Suh-won-t-wait-to-make-Husker-weight-room-his-2?urn=ncaaf,234877

Class Act, Lions must draft this guy! "Faster than Tony Romo, hits harder than Ray Lewis."

April 17th, 2010, 6:21 pm
QB Coach

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... OEM_ID=100

Here's another video that was linked to in the article in the previous post.

April 17th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Afghan Allstar

I love this guy. Also, Construction Management is not a cake degree. That says something about his character getting a degree like that.

April 17th, 2010, 8:03 pm
Heisman Winner

I love this guy. Also, Construction Management is not a cake degree. That says something about his character getting a degree like that.

Are you sure about that, I always thought Construction Management was for the Civil Engineering drop out.[/b]

April 18th, 2010, 10:48 am
Afghan Allstar

Well, I'm not in construction or engineering, so my knowledge is second hand. But, a couple of the guys I worked with in Afghanistan who had Construction Management degrees were all very bright and said that the degree wasn't that easy.

I could be wrong, though.

April 18th, 2010, 11:08 am
NFL Team Captain

Now that I've seen Kong on Jimmy Fallon, and learned about him donating $2.5 mil to Nebraska for a new strength and conditioning center as well as scholarships with preference given to students from his old highschool, I've come to one conclusion.

If Suh is there at 2......he is THE PICK :cheers:

Last edited by jomo269 on April 18th, 2010, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2010, 11:45 am
NFL Team Captain

By the way, after the Navy, I was a construction inspector for United States Testing at Nuke plants in Midland, MI and Clinton Ill. as well as under ground Hydroelectric plants and Dam projects in CA and New Mexico.

Project managers and construction managers (basically the same thing) must have knowledge of all aspects of the project including, scheduling, ongoing cost anaylisis, quality control and contract adherence. The Civil Engineers work for the Constuction Managers.

Suh is a very intelligent individual, a class act and a beast that can put over 3,200 lbs of pressure into a hit.

Again, he is THE pick.

April 18th, 2010, 11:54 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: DT Ndamukong Suh
Detroit News wrote:
Ndamukong Suh has 'no idea' if Lions will draft him
John Niyo / The Detroit News
New York -- Ndamukong Suh leaned back on a bench in Central Park, stretched out his legs -- and, yes, he was sporting a pair of Honolulu blue Nike shoes -- and idly tossed a football.

His life is about to change. So is his address.

And Suh, a dominant defensive tackle out of Nebraska, has heard all the speculation he'll end up in Detroit as the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday night's NFL draft. But he'll believe it when he hears commissioner Roger Goodell say it.

"I'm dead-nuts uncertain: I have no idea what's gonna happen," Suh said Wednesday. "Nobody's approached me to say they want to draft me. So until that happens, I can't give you guys an answer like you're looking for. It may be Detroit or it may be St. Louis or it may be Tampa Bay or -- who knows? -- maybe somebody could trade up and do something."

Asked what color suit he'd wear Thursday night at Radio City Music Hall, Suh laughed.

"I can't tell you," he said. "You'll have to come out and see. I've got options. I love options. You gotta have options."

Everybody's got options, or so it would seem, at the top of the draft, with teams still soliciting trade offers and playing coy about their plans. That only adds to the intrigue as the NFL expands its made-for-TV extravaganza to prime time in a new three-day format.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will announce Thursday's first draft selection at 7:32 p.m., but the first round likely won't end until after 11 p.m.

"Yeah, the new format will be interesting," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said this week. "I don't know if I'll be able to stay awake."

A few of the nearly 20 top prospects invited to New York looked a little bleary-eyed Wednesday morning as they took part in a youth clinic in Central Park. Their day began at 6 a.m., but all were in good spirits as they played flag football with kids. (Suh had one of the light-hearted highlights, with a leaping interception returned for a touchdown.)

Afterward, though, they sounded weary as they tried to answer questions.

"If I just knew the uniform, it'd be a lot easier," sighed Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, who is expected to be the Rams' choice at No. 1.

But even that's not a certainty. Rams general manager Billy Devaney said Tuesday he's still talking to teams about trading down, and the Rams had yet to enter into contract negotiations with Bradford. Last year, the Lions agreed to terms on a record-setting rookie deal with Matthew Stafford on the eve of the draft.

"I think the Rams are trying to stay open for business until the last second," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said Wednesday. "And I think they feel like Sam Bradford's their guy.

"However, they trade (defensive lineman Adam) Carriker and that creates a potential hole in the defensive line where people say, 'Oh, they might take a defensive tackle, so now if we want (Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald) McCoy or Suh, do we have to come and get him?' They're just trying to create a market. At the end of the day, if they don't get blown away, I think it's Sam Bradford."

And after that, it's likely Suh to Detroit, despite widespread belief the Lions are strongly considering Oklahoma State offensive tackle Russell Okung.

Asked about that Wednesday, Okung just shrugged.

"It's like a card game, like poker," Okung said. "Everybody's bluffing and nobody's showing their cards or if they're really interested in you or not."

Clearly, the Lions are interested in adding a defensive tackle as part of an overhaul of their front four. That was part of the sales pitch Schwartz made to free agent Kyle Vanden Bosch before his signing in early March.

And while the team did trade for Cleveland's Corey Williams, Mayock said, "I don't think at this point in his career he's what they're looking for. He can be for a short-term basis. But I think when you get a chance to get a Suh, you go get him."

"I think Suh's the pick at No. 2. If you sign Kyle Vanden Bosch, you've got to put a three-technique next to him. Because if he doesn't have a good three-technique next to him, he's not quite the same pass rusher. So I think it's the Tennessee philosophy that Schwartz is gonna go through there and hope to get (an offensive) tackle (later in the draft.)"

Suh said his visit with the Lions in Allen Park went well, and he talked about sitting down with new defensive line coach Kris Kocurek to see "how he saw me in his vision in the defense."

And what does he think about coming to a team that ranked last in the NFL in defense in 2009?

"They've got a lot of good guys coming in, and I'd be happy to go there and help them out if they choose to come and get me," Suh said. "Until that happens, I really can't tell you any more than that."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100422 ... z0lpsuOkfw

April 22nd, 2010, 9:37 am
RIP Killer

Ok, so this construction engineering gig is not for idiots and not for the super smart. It's kinda an in between of guys that are more adept at leading construction jobs, but not enough to actually design the jobs they are at. Some get into it are smarter than others, but for a potential NFL prospect to take civil engineering instead of some BS degree is nice. It isn't an easy program, but it certainly is no rocket science either. I have many friends who took it in school while I took different engineering degrees, they are not dumb at all... but I wouldn't have them design parts for my car or computer. It is more of an engineering "tech" degree.

April 22nd, 2010, 10:02 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Now that Sims has been traded, the only MOM first rounders we still have are Backus and Calvin. Last year, we took the cornerstone of our offense. This year, we need to get a guy that can be the foundation of our defense. Time to turn this thing around.

Ndamukong Suh in Honolulu Blue

April 22nd, 2010, 10:23 am
Heisman Winner

steensn wrote:
Ok, so this construction engineering gig is not for idiots and not for the super smart. It's kinda an in between of guys that are more adept at leading construction jobs, but not enough to actually design the jobs they are at. Some get into it are smarter than others, but for a potential NFL prospect to take civil engineering instead of some BS degree is nice. It isn't an easy program, but it certainly is no rocket science either. I have many friends who took it in school while I took different engineering degrees, they are not dumb at all... but I wouldn't have them design parts for my car or computer. It is more of an engineering "tech" degree.

That's probably how i should have worded that.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next