View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 2:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Vote!! Toby Gerhart 2nd Rd. Pick 

Who wants Toby Gerhart?
Poll ended at April 24th, 2010, 2:00 pm
Yes 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
No 83%  83%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 40

Vote!! Toby Gerhart 2nd Rd. Pick 
Stats Boy

Personally I think the 2nd round pick is really hard to predict for the Lions. The reason is because of the strict following of BPA, there will probably be someone that drops that has greater value then a cornerback or running back so I wouldn't be surprised if the pick isn't a position of need.

In regards to Gerhart, I don't see them reaching for him because that is the exact opposite of what Mayhew has said he would do, unless they have Gerhart way higher up on their draft board then most people think.

April 17th, 2010, 7:07 pm
QB Coach

I don't want Best or Gerhart at #34. I'm hoping somehow either McCourty or Wilson fall. If not, trade down and take Robinson. We can take a RB in the third or fourth that can make an impact. Perhaps even Toby at 66.

April 17th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Our first 2 picks need to be:

Suh and then the best remaining CB. PERIOD :!:

Then we can look for a RB and whatever else.

Exactly. I hope it will be and then we can select a RB in the 3rd.

April 17th, 2010, 9:17 pm
RIP Killer

No fraking way... he's a third rounder... trust me...

April 17th, 2010, 9:38 pm
RIP Killer

Gerhart is an absolute stud and would have gotten my vote for the Heisman if I had a vote. Numbers were just eye-popping.

He doesn't have off the chart measurables by any means, but the dood can play and he produces.

April 17th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Heisman Winner

So everyone is OK with them picking Jahvid Best as the 2nd pick, because that's what most experts have us doing. I'm not saying our needs isn't some place else, they are and if he's a late 2nd or early third awesome but I think if we go RB he's better than taking Best off the boards there. My dream scenerio would be trading back at 2 and picking up picks to improve every where.

No. Not at all.

I would like to see a CB at 34. Preferably Robinson I guess. At the 3rd round pick, if Gerhart is there, I seriously consider it. I like Tate however. I would like to see a DE from this draft as well, but I'm unsure of the relative grades of guys like that Gerhart vs. Tate vs. Wooten for example.

I like your trade back option for #34, as I think it is very likely that the CBs will all be gone by then.

April 17th, 2010, 10:28 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

In my mock, all the top corners are gone by the top of the 2nd. The rest had 3rd round grades, so they might wait.

As for trading down at #34, its a big possibility. In the past, the early 2nd day spots were always premium spots with heavy trading possibilities. When people go home to sleep, they start thinking the player they want is going to be gone and they made deals. It used to be the 4th round, then the 3rd when they changed the format, and now 2nd and probably 3rd are going to be the spots with the 3 day format. We could get alot of value from those picks, maybe even more than trading out of #2, because people won't have the higher salary requirements as an extra consideration. And in this deep draft, those middle range picks are quality spots.

April 18th, 2010, 12:06 am
Walk On

April 18th, 2010, 12:56 am
Walk On

njroar wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
So everyone is OK with them picking Jahvid Best as the 2nd pick, because that's what most experts have us doing. I'm not saying our needs isn't some place else, they are and if he's a late 2nd or early third awesome but I think if we go RB he's better than taking Best off the boards there. My dream scenerio would be trading back at 2 and picking up picks to improve every where.

CB should be the pick at #34, but i'd understand the Best pick if it happened, but not Gerhart. "Just enough speed to be a threat" is what scouts say about him. Isn't that what they said about Smith? Finding a short yardage back is easy. You can even transform a defensive player to push a pile. Even Speed is easy to find. What you can't find anywhere is elusiveness and explosion. The ability to make people miss. His concussion that ended his 2009 season was doing much of the same, exploding over the defenders and into the endzone.

Injuries happen and luck plays apart in it. But realistically, who would have a greater chance of injury? The elusive, explosive back, or the big bruiser back who makes contact? This isn't playing against a majority of subpar defenders that you can run over consistently. I think Gerhart will spend more time on the sidelines than best will.

Best also fits in here better because we already have Morris and Smith when he finishes rehabbing. I'm hoping they go corner, or trade down and select a RB later in the 2nd or even as far down to the 4th, but IF we select a RB at 34, it'll be Best.

Yeah I definetly think if Jahvid Best is there at #34, we should take him. I know we need CB help, big time. But I just think if Best is there we cannot afford to pass on him. The coaching staff wants a home run type runner with speed, and I think Best fits that perfectly.

Are u sure we should take Best as a 2nd or at all? My boy who's a Cal Alumni said he's watched Best closely and he's afraid to take the hit. So instead of getting the extra yards he'll go down. Also take a look at the article down below.

Jahvid Best still concerned about concussions

Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2010 12:07 AM ET
Our friends at Rotoworld have spotted in a pre-draft feature from Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel a quote that serves only to strengthen our belief that Cal running back Jahvid Best could be the last of the 16 guys who'll attend the draft to wear a team hat and hold up a jersey with the number 1 on it.

Per McGinn, an unnamed scout said that Best remains concerned about a history of concussions.

Yeah, he's worried about it," said the scout, who has spoken to Best. "Plus, he has a muscle going down from his neck to his leg that bothers him. That's my reservation on Best. He's coming in all beat up."

And if a guy is emerging from the college game "all beat up," there's a chance he won't last too long when he's getting beat up by grown men.

Last edited by Mufasa on April 18th, 2010, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2010, 1:03 am
Walk On

I would rather draft Tate in the 3rd or Blount in the 4th.

You do realize Blount ran a 4.73 in the 40, there's lineman who runs faster than him. An he would be suspended most of the year on the lions. Because he'll knock out a player every time we lose a game which is a lot. So he'll never see the field with his anger problems.

April 18th, 2010, 1:11 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

liontrax wrote:
I have to vote no at 34. His value seems to fit him in the late 2 to early 3 area. I would love to have him, but not at 34. If we trade back in the second or if he's there at 66, absolutely.

Totally agree.

I like Gerhart a lot, but there are other solid RBs in this class that will be available later and allow us to fill other needs first.

April 18th, 2010, 2:58 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Here's a YouTube video of his 2009 Highlights. He looks like a big, strong, rough-and-tumble type of guy who relishes physical contact and who runs hard but lacks that extra gear to really take it to the house. He can run over some defenders to make big plays, but will he be able to do that as easily against NFL defensive talent? Is he what the team really wants? I thought he looked like he might make a great fullback. He seems like a guy who could consistently get a couple yards, but does he have the speed needed to break longer runs against speedy NFL defenders?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLh_yO41jw

April 18th, 2010, 4:22 am
RIP Killer

Stallion wrote:
I would rather draft Tate in the 3rd or Blount in the 4th.

You do realize Blount ran a 4.73 in the 40, there's lineman who runs faster than him. An he would be suspended most of the year on the lions. Because he'll knock out a player every time we lose a game which is a lot. So he'll never see the field with his anger problems.

First, I really don't care that Blount ran whatever at the Combine. Watch his game tape and tell me he's slow. I don't think you'll draw the same conclusion. Second, the guy he punched had it coming. You simply don't sit there and taunt someone after your team has beaten them and not expect a reaction. Blount's mistake was that he continued his tirade against his teammates, coaches and tried to go after fans. If he had just punched that guy and let it go, he might have only got suspended a game or two. So, in essence, you are giving Blount a bad rap. He played plenty of games previous to that one in a Duck uniform where Oregon lost and he did nothing against anyone.

Don't let that one act of passion make you think this guy isn't a good football player, or is a troublemaker who is the second coming of Pacman Jones.

April 18th, 2010, 8:47 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I moved this to the NFL Draft Forum where it belongs.

As for Gerhart, I really doubt that he would be the BPA at #34, so I wouldn't take him that early. I'd think about it if he was available at #66, but even that could be a bit of a reach. I'd prefer Ben Tate at that spot if he was still on the board.

That PFT article about Best being worried about concussions just makes me wonder which team leaked that bit of info (or misinformation)? Chances are that it came from a team that wants to draft him and are hoping that the teams selecting above them will be scared off.

April 18th, 2010, 9:03 am
Walk On

Not that its comparable. But its like the saying "with hindsight in regards to Ed Reed no one would question him as the #1 pick in the draft". I am absolutely sure that Gerhart is the most underrated RB in the draft. He will be worth #34 in the draft.

But reality is he isn't rated anywhere near #34. In fact our 3rd round pick (#66?) is probably to high to pick him. What I am going to be disappointed in is that no CB's of value will be available at #34. Its a pipe dream that one will fall to us. There will be a few 2nd round RB's available and that scares me, I really don't think anyone will have the career Gerhart has the potential to have.

I can't support a Gerhart there because he will be available later. But in the end I really can't support a CB or RB pick there. So the only real hope is that a highly rated player at position of need falls to #34 (OT, DE, OLB, S, TE, WR...ect), in a way it could be CB I just sadly don't see it happening. Currently I am crossing my fingers for Golden Tate. I know people don't want us to draft a WR but I think the fears of drafting Dez Bryant will postpone WR drafting (no one wants Dez Bryant, but no one wants to be the team that passed on Dez Bryant for a different WR). If he falls he would be a great pickup no matter what the current makeup of the team is.

Then we can get Ben Tate or Gerhart in the third and Cox in the 4th if they are available with value.

April 18th, 2010, 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next