View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Another way to look at position value.. 
RIP Killer

Post Another way to look at position value..
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... NextLevel4

Interesting!

April 18th, 2010, 4:03 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I find a few things interesting, but the article has a few flaws also.

Quote:
Defensive end
What do Jared Allen, Trent Cole, Jay Ratliff and Aaron Kampman have in common, besides each being named to multiple Pro Bowls?

What DON'T they have in common?

Ratliff is not a DE!

He plays NT in a 3-4 defense. I realize he did play some DE in previous years when Parcells was there, but that was still in the 2-gap 3-4 defense that Parcells ran, so I would have grouped him with the DTs for comparison.

ALSO....

Quote:
This system allows us to study talent depth across various positions in the draft

But what about un-drafted free agents?

I know they would be tough to include in terms of success rate, but there are a lot of UDFAs that would skew a statistical comparison that is only comparing players drafted.

Quote:
As Todd McShay points out in the Feb. 22 issue of ESPN The Magazine, all five of 2009's leaders in quarterback rating were among the first 33 picks.

This is an article about statistical comparison.

Yet, they have used a quote to support their story that contradicts the premise. It is TRUE that all 5 of the QBs in QB rating were drafted in the top 33 picks, but 2 of those 5 QBs were 2nd round picks. Furthermore, those 2 QBs were not drafted by their present team.

They also could have used the same stat category to make a case against drafting a QB in the 1st round.

They could have said that despite 18 QBs drafted in the 1st round being listed in the top 32 ratings, only 4 of them landed in the top 10 of the QB ratings. That means more than HALF of the top QBs in 2009 were not 1st round QBs.

I'm not making a case that the article is wrong.

I'm only raising questions about the manner in which they have presented the data.

April 18th, 2010, 6:46 pm
RIP Killer

There is always another way to slice the data, but I think what they were trying to say about the QB's is that it is important that the TOP QB's were all first rounders. Yes, you can find a QB that was not... but statistically they are much less likely to be a top 5 QB. So, yes it could be stated differently, but I think the point is still valid. No one is hoping for a better than average QB with a first round draft pick...

April 18th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]