View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 11:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LB IS GONE! Flip Saunders front runner 
RIP Killer

Post LB IS GONE! Flip Saunders front runner
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2110640

After back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals under Larry Brown, the Detroit Pistons will have a new coach next season, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Pistons and Brown, sources said, moved closer Monday to a buyout of Brown's contract, which has three years left at an estimated $18 million.

There was not immediately known whether the buyout would contain any stipulations that would prevent Brown from coaching another team for this upcoming season.

Brown said as recently as Friday that he was "confident" about returning to the Pistons next season, having overcome season-long speculation about new jobs to lead Detroit to within one victory of back-to-back championships. Yet Brown, according to sources, could not guarantee that his health would hold up for a full season, which Pistons owner Bill Davidson had made a prerequisite for the 64-year-old's return.

It was not immediately known if the buyout arrangement would be finalized Monday.

It also remains to be seen whether Brown -- plagued by serious bladder complications throughout much of the season after hip surgery -- intends to take some time away from coaching or immediately pursue the New York Knicks' vacancy. New York president Isiah Thomas has held off on making Herb Williams his full-time head coach in the event that Brown becomes available.

Ex-Minnesota coach Flip Saunders, who turned down a lucrative offer from Milwaukee while waiting for the months-long Brown saga to reach a climax, is the leading candidate to replace Brown in Detroit but has yet to interview with the Pistons.

July 18th, 2005, 3:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hopefully we can see some of our young talent more.

July 18th, 2005, 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I just saw this and was about to post, but I guess I was a little slow. I like Flip Saunders. The only issue I have with him is he had only been out of the 1st round of the playoffs 1 time with Minnesota. And that was with 7 tries! Hopefully, he can blend in well with what we have going here. but his playoff resume scares me :shock:

Tim

July 18th, 2005, 5:35 pm

Hopefully, he can blend in well with what we have going here. but his playoff resume scares me :shock:

I could probably coach this group into the Conference Finals. Don't worry about that. :wink:

What I am worried about is the coaching style. Brown and the Pistons fit hand and glove. Anyone know Saunders' style?

July 18th, 2005, 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I kind of figured we would fire him... I wanted him gone to be honest with you, now we can see our young guys produce... I suspect Flip Saunders will be our new coach. I'm 98% sure we'll get him; look for an anouncement in the next week or so...

Michael Huff for DROY

July 18th, 2005, 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

About time this controversy ends with LB, was getting sick and tired reading in the paper the same old thing.

GO STATE!
2005 Austin Regional Champs!
4/7 years Final Four apperances
5/7 years Elite 8 apperances

Michigan...
Missed 64 team tourney AND,NIT tourney(tourney for losers hahaha)

July 18th, 2005, 10:49 pm
Stadium Announcer

Is it me, or do would you guys like to see Bill Laimbeer or Tom Izzo as coach? Laimbeer would definately bring out that defensice tenacity that our players have, and Izzo is the one of the best coaches ever at any level.

July 19th, 2005, 2:30 am
RIP Killer

Is it me, or do would you guys like to see Bill Laimbeer or Tom Izzo as coach? Laimbeer would definately bring out that defensice tenacity that our players have, and Izzo is the one of the best coaches ever at any level.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The only guy I half liked was Nate McMillan, otherwise I don't see anyone taking the Stones back to the finals next year (I guess I don't see McMillan doing that either). I think Laimbeer would stink it up as the Stones coach and Izzo would need some transition time (two years).

July 19th, 2005, 7:52 am
Varsity 1st Team

Well Izzo said the only coaching job in NBA, he would take would be Detroit. But he will be sticking around MSU for a little longer so I think he is out of the question

Lambo would be a good coach. He turned down Isiah's offer to coach the knicks. Even had rumors of him talking with Seattle. I dont know what he would want to do because he did say he wanted to coach in the NBA one day.

GO STATE!

Michigan...

July 19th, 2005, 10:25 am
Site Admin

Hey MAY be a good coach one day but coaching the Shock hardly makes him a great canidate for a head coaching gig let alone a Championship calibur team like Detroit. There is no way you can go from LB to Lambs. Maybe they work something like he is an assistant to Flip S. but there is NO WAY he will be our head coach.

BTW...he did not turn down the job in NY he removed his name from being a canidate...I am sure his name was in there as a courtesy of an old friend in Isiah and not any serious contention.

July 19th, 2005, 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

What I am worried about is the coaching style. Brown and the Pistons fit hand and glove. Anyone know Saunders' style?

He is a lot more laid back and more of a player's coach. He kind of let's the player's do their thing, but will put his foot down when he needs to. He will let the player's figure it out. More or less the opposite of LB.

Flip is also a great offensive scheme coach and X' and O's guy. He can be a little to laid back at times, but not too much of a worry with this group.

Two things that scare me about him is his playoff resume and defensive philosophy. He does like to incorporate the zone defense a lot. I don't think this type of defense will work well with our group.

Well, that is my 2 cents. I actually do think that his coaching style make work well after having 2 years of LB. Really, there is no replacing LB. He is the best coach in the game IMO. Let's just hope it works out.

Tim

July 19th, 2005, 11:34 am
Stadium Announcer

Flip is also a great offensive scheme coach and X' and O's guy. He can be a little to laid back at times, but not too much of a worry with this group.

See, i like Flip. As you pointed out, he is a great X's and O's guy. His defensive philosiphy is nothing like LB's or even Rick Carlisle. But speaking of Carlisle, didn't he get us fairly deep into the playoffs before? Flip is a better coach, isn't he? It should work out.

Someone said earlier in this thread that he can coach the Pistons and get them deep into the playoffs. I probably can to. Most of us can. On top of all this, we have the best GM in basketball. He will most definitely make the right choice for our team.[/quote]

July 19th, 2005, 12:49 pm

On top of all this, we have the best GM in basketball. He will most definitely make the right choice for our team.

I was just thinking about that. I am very comforted that Joe is in charge.

July 19th, 2005, 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

How about Gar Herd or how ever you spell it? He's our man if he cant do it no one can!...yea that was a joke.

GO STATE!

Michigan...

July 19th, 2005, 4:30 pm
QB Coach

Flip Saunders - He couldn't lead an incredibly talented team with Kevin Garnett on it to the finals. He isn't that good of a coach.

Bill Laimbeer - Wouldn't we want someone better than a WNBA coach who's team couldn't even make the playoffs last season?

Tom Izzo - He coaches Michigan State.... nuff said. OKAY FINE! I'll keep my biases aside. Why would he want to leave the dynasty he has left at Michigan State for us?

Garr Herr - He coached the Pistons when Larry had health concerns, and wasn't that successful. I like him though.

There's no one. I don't like any of those candidates. Why not just allow Dumars to coach? Now that would be entertainment!

This isn't looking good. I felt comfortable with Brown at coach, even though he was a public relations mess. What about Pat Riley? Do you think there's any chance in hell he would leave his spot in Miami to coach Detroit? I don't, but hey, this is a message board to explore ideas!

July 19th, 2005, 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next