View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Cornerbacks 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I was trying to find info on players that have visited with the Lions when I came across some disappointing news. The St. Louis Rams have already had visits with Kyle Wilson, Kareem Jackson, and Devin McCourty. So, if any of those guys fall out of the 1st round, there's a chance that the Rams could select them with #33. I was kinda thinking that they would go WR or TE with that pick, but now, I'm not so sure. :(

April 12th, 2010, 4:02 pm
NFL Team Captain

Who do they have on offense besides Jackson and presumably Bradford? Didn't pay much attention to the Rams last year. Watching more than one shiiity team is more then I can handle :cheers:

Love that Emoticon, that and some of that new 32% beer from Scotland and I'll watch anybody doing anything :cheers:

April 12th, 2010, 5:56 pm
Who they have to protect Bradford?

Who do they have on offense besides Jackson and presumably Bradford? Didn't pay much attention to the Rams last year. Watching more than one shiiity team is more then I can handle :cheers:

Love that Emoticon, that and some of that new 32% beer from Scotland and I'll watch anybody doing anything :cheers:

Donnie Avery is pretty good. I had him on and off for FF last year. He's a little undersized, but he is definitely electric. I'm sure he would be a heck of a lot better if they had another true threat.

April 12th, 2010, 7:43 pm
RIP Killer

Who they have to protect Bradford?

Well....they DID take a LT last year at #2, though he didn't do so well in his rookie campaign. I'm sure they haven't given up on him to be the blindside protector yet.....

The Rams will probably look very hard at Jermaine Gresham if he falls out of the first round, but I think they'll prefer to get someone on defense if they can. Everson Griffen, Jared Odrick, Brian Price (maybe). If Weatherspoon miraculously falls, he'll be snapped up by them. If Demaryius Thomas is at #33, they'll have to strongly consider him as well.

And then there's the question marks surrounding Steven Jackson. If Best is there, do they take him to either replace Jackson (if he gets jailed/suspended) or to lengthen Jackson's career (since the wear and tear is starting to show)?

April 12th, 2010, 8:17 pm
RIP Killer

NFL Draft Expert Interview Series: Drew Boylhart likes Brandon Ghee as underrated corner
By Philip Zaroo | MLive.com
April 13, 2010, 7:35AM
AP File Photo
Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Tuesday, March 2, 2010.
Despite adding some pieces to their secondary this offseason, the Detroit Lions still need to bolster the position with talent and depth.

But from the looks of it, there aren't any cornerbacks worthy of the team's No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft.

NFL draft analyst Drew Boylhart, of The Huddle Report, thinks Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee is flying under the radar, yet could give the Lions with a strong cover corner. The 6-foot, 192-pounder ran a 4.45 40 at the NFL combine, but NFL scouts question his ability to provide run support. (Clemson running back C.J. Spiller might disagree with that theory.)

Not a problem, according to Boylhart, whose methods frequently find him going against the grain when it comes to player evaluations.

"Brandon Ghee runs into this 'a-little-too-skinny' type physique that scouts and GMs get caught up on," he says. "These guys are wiry. And they don't have the injury problems that most other people have.

"And when you get to corners, I don't mind corners being what I call a 'drag-down tackler,' which is fine with me as long as they're a sure tackler. And Brandon's a drag-down tackler.

"And that's another knock against him that scouts and GMs and coaches seem to have a problem with. They want that macho, knock'em-in-the-chin type of guy, and that's fine, but when you come to a good cover corner, I want him to be able to tackle, and make sure the tackle is good, and cover, and intercept the ball.

"I'll worry about somebody else knockin the snot out of somebody later on."

Check out The Huddle Report's archives to see how their past evaluations have turned out, and listen to the whole interview to hear which top-ranked offensive lineman Boylhart calls "a turnstyle":

April 13th, 2010, 12:03 pm
RIP Killer

Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson fits Lions' goal of getting tougher and more physical
By Tom Kowalski
April 13, 2010, 7:00AM
AP File Photo
Cornerback Kyle Wilson has gone from a third-round draft prospect to a player projected to go in the middle of the first round.
This is the third segment of a 12-part series on the NFL draft and some of the prospects the Detroit Lions will consider in the top three rounds. Today: Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson. Wednesday: USC defensive end Everson Griffen.

ALLEN PARK -- Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson has moved so fast in the past couple of weeks that it's possible he might have just slipped through the fingers of the Detroit Lions.

After being a lightly recruited high school senior out of New Jersey who ended up at Boise State, Wilson has roared up the draft charts.

He went from a third-round draft prospect in January to a second-rounder in February. In March, he saw his name start to appear at the bottom of the first round. This month -- just days before the April 22 draft -- Wilson is expected to go in the middle of the first round.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper has Wilson going at No. 20 to the Houston Texans. Others, though, have Wilson later in the first round, and some have him available for the Detroit Lions in the second round (34th overall).

While most analysts say Wilson has the talent to be selected in the middle of the first round, it's a deep draft in defensive linemen, and a run on linemen is expected in the first round. That could push Wilson and others down the draft board.

KYLE WILSON
Position: Cornerback

Size: 5-foot-10, 194 pounds

Projection: Middle of the first round, top of the second.

Key workout number: A highly impressive 25 reps on the bench press.

Scouting report: From Scouts Inc. -- A quick-twitch and smooth athlete. Changes directions effortlessly and can mirror receivers in man coverage. Can turn and run with receivers when lines up in press man coverage.''

Why he fits Lions: Detroit's defense needs a player with speed (Wilson ran 4.43 in the 40) and strength, which Wilson clearly possesses. He also has excellent instincts and plays with the kind of attitude defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham covets.
The Lions don't just have a need for a cornerback, they are desperate for one. The three players who had 31 of the 32 starts at cornerback for the Lions last season -- Phillip Buchanon, Anthony Henry and Will James -- are gone.

Detroit filled one of the spots in the trade with the Atlanta Falcons for three-year veteran Chris Houston. After that, the Lions don't have anyone with significant starting experience on the roster. Grabbing a cornerback in the second or third round is a necessity.

Another reason Wilson will be high on Detroit's wish list is his ability to return kicks.

"I feel like I can return with the best of them," Wilson said. "Every time I get the ball, I think I can score. My biggest strength is my playmaking ability. I cover, I hit, I can do it all.''

Although Wilson is just 5-foot-10 and 194 pounds and doesn't appear to fit Detroit's philosophy to get bigger players, he does fit the Lions' desire to get a lot tougher and more physical. Wilson impressed scouts with 25 repetitions on the bench press at 225 pounds at the scouting combine, which was three more repetitions than highly regarded defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who weighs 100 pounds more.

"I don't think I lack size,'' Wilson said. "I try to be extra physical. I try to put my hands on receivers. I continue to use my technique to my advantage. I can tackle with the best of them.''

A cornerback, though, has to prove he has the speed to keep up with NFL receivers, and Wilson has done that, too. While he didn't run at the combine because of a hamstring injury, he ran 4.43 at his pro day a couple weeks ago.

"I think I proved to them what I can do,'' Wilson told the Dayton Daily News.

In another interview, Wilson said, 'I know I'm as fast as they come so, hey, I'll trust my speed (against) anybody.''

April 13th, 2010, 12:09 pm
Team MVP

That would be so awesome to be able to get Kyle Wilson.

I know we have a lot of needs, but if we could leave the draft with Suh, Wilson, and a starting RB, i would be happy!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 13th, 2010, 12:10 pm

I'm glad to see that someone else likes Brandon Ghee as much as I do. During the 2008 season, I watched a lot of Wake Forrest games to see Aaron Curry, and to a lesser extent, Alphonso Smith. At that time, I noticed that Ghee was just as good as Smith, who was getting much more media attention. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see as much of him this past season, but I like his potential. He's someone I would consider in the mid 2nd round or definitely at the top of the 3rd.

April 13th, 2010, 12:26 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

There seems to be very little agreement on how to rank this year's CB's especially in the top 5. Everyone can agree that Joe Haden is #1 but thats where it's gotten hairy. I've seen Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, and Patrick Robinson all listed as the #2 guy. I've seen Robinson and Wilson at 5 and 4 on some boards. I'm wondering if that means that Kyle Wilson is actually that low on some boards (I tend to believe he'll be a late first rounder and maybe even the second CB taken) leaving him to fall to the Lions at 34 (if the Rams don't take him). What does everyone think is the proper top 5 ratings for CB's??

1- Joe Haden
2- Devin McCourty
3- Kyle Wilson
4- Patrick Robinson
5- Kareem Jackson

Maybe some of the disparity is because of system... who knows.

April 13th, 2010, 1:54 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

There seems to be very little agreement on how to rank this year's CB's especially in the top 5. Everyone can agree that Joe Haden is #1 but thats where it's gotten hairy. I've seen Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, and Patrick Robinson all listed as the #2 guy. I've seen Robinson and Wilson at 5 and 4 on some boards. I'm wondering if that means that Kyle Wilson is actually that low on some boards (I tend to believe he'll be a late first rounder and maybe even the second CB taken) leaving him to fall to the Lions at 34 (if the Rams don't take him). What does everyone think is the proper top 5 ratings for CB's??

1- Joe Haden
2- Devin McCourty
3- Kyle Wilson
4- Patrick Robinson
5- Kareem Jackson

Maybe some of the disparity is because of system... who knows.

I think, like you said, disparity is because of system. The teams will rank them on their boards, based on how they feel they fit their system. Some they may knock off their boards altogether, if they feel it's a bad fit. IMO.

April 13th, 2010, 4:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

If Wilson does fall as far as #32, we better be prepared to trade our #34 to the Saints for #32 because the Rams would take Wilson at #33.

April 15th, 2010, 9:44 am

Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson another physical player Lions could consider
By Tom Kowalski
April 15, 2010, 8:00AM

This is the fifth segment of a 12-part series on the NFL draft and some of the prospects the Detroit Lions will consider in the top three rounds. Today: Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson. Friday: Oklahoma State left tackle Russell Okung and Oklahoma left tackle Trent Williams.

ALLEN PARK -- When it comes to drafting defensive players, Detroit Lions head coach Jim Schwartz has a theory: He likes to get big, tough and physical players in the front seven so they can bulldoze the opponent on a regular basis.

When it comes to defensive backs, Schwartz likes to get big, tough and physical players because he knows that, more often than not, they'll get bulldozed by the opponent on a regular basis.

"Defensive backs get hurt at a higher rate than just about any other position on the field,'' Schwartz said. "The reason is, other positions have gotten bigger and bigger while defensive backs have stayed basically the same, especially corners. It's not a matter of if somebody gets hurt and has to miss a game, it's a matter of when.

"It's important to get guys who are very strong. A lot of those guys are very strong benchers. You can compensate for not being tall or not being big.''

That's why Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson would be an ideal candidate to get selected with the Lions' second-round pick (34th overall). Robinson has good size at 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds, and he plays very physical.

Robinson knows he might have to step it up.

"If they say I need to be more physical, then that's what I plan on doing when I get to the next level,'' he said. "But if you couldn't tackle against the run, you couldn't be on the field. That's the way it was at Florida State.''

While Robinson has no problem sticking his nose into the action, the reason he's so highly rated is because of his 4.42 speed in the 40-yard dash. He shows that speed on the field and has an excellent closing gear when he loses a step to a receiver.

In the mock drafts, Robinson is regarded anywhere from the second- to fifth-best cornerback available.

Florida's Joe Haden is No. 1, and then Robinson gets mixed in with a group that includes Boise State's Kyle Wilson, Rutgers' Devin McCourty and Alabama's Kareem Jackson.

Robinson has excellent leaping ability, good hands and shows strong instincts whether it's zone or man-to-man coverage. Still, a lot of it comes back to toughness and being able to withstand the rigors of the NFL.

Schwartz said the Lions are trying to stick to their strategy of drafting players who are more physical than their peers.

"Our philosophy is that, all things equal, bigger is better,'' Schwartz said. "But there's a balance there, you don't want to sacrifice size for speed. If you have two players who run the same, you want the bigger player. Size is important at a lot of positions, and there are some positions where you don't have a size-speed profile.

"If want to be a big, physical team, you'd better draft big, physical players. You've got to have the discipline to do that long term and not make exceptions.''

I still view Robinson as a boom or bust type of player. He has all the physical skills you would want, but appears to be missing something upstairs. If he ever truly puts it all together, he could be great. On the other hand, he could turn out to be a great athlete who simply can't play. I just don't know.

April 15th, 2010, 10:50 am

Alabama's Kareem Jackson could be defensive back to pair up with Lions' Chris Houston
By Tom Kowalski
April 19, 2010, 8:00AM

This is the ninth in a 12-part series on the NFL draft and some of the prospects the Detroit Lions will consider in the top three rounds. Today: Alabama cornerback Kareem Jackson. Tuesday: Auburn running back Ben Tate.

ALLEN PARK -- Several months ago, when somebody talked about the draft status of an Alabama cornerback, they were talking about Javier Arenas.

Now that all the game tapes have been viewed and evaluated, the combine results have been tabulated and the pro days have come and gone, when people talk about the best cornerback from the Crimson Tide, they're referring to Kareem Jackson.

Arenas also will get drafted this week, but it likely will come a round or two after Jackson gets picked. Arenas, with his spectacular return ability, overshadowed Jackson on the national championship winning team, but the scouts believe Jackson's overall game will translate better to the NFL.

The Detroit Lions are in the market for a cornerback and Jackson is expected to be in a group of them available in the second round. The Lions are looking for a rookie with enough ability to step in and start next to veteran Chris Houston.

Why he fits Lions: Doesn't have great size, but is very instinctive and makes plays in the passing game -- something the Lions could use from time to time on third down. He also could see some action as a kick returner.
Jackson said he believes he's ready to tackle the pro game, which is why he decided to skip his senior season at Alabama and come out early. Jackson said he met with head coach Nick Saban several times and, while Saban believed Jackson should return to school, Jackson had other ideas.

"It was one of those decision that, going into the year, I wanted to do everything possible to put myself in that situation to be able to make that decision at the end of the year,'' Jackson said. "I felt like I did that as a player and I proved myself as an all-around player that can cover and tackle. So I sat down with my family and I told them, 'That's what I want to do' and they supported me on my decision.''

That decision was helped along when the draft evaluation board came back and said Jackson likely would be selected in the second round.

"I had a couple of meetings with (Saban) and he thought I should come back, but I was pretty confident in my decision and I stuck with it,'' Jackson said.

A three-year starter with Alabama, Jackson had five career interceptions and proved to be good in both man and zone coverage. Saban, who installed a pro style defense with the Crimson Tide, had his corners playing a lot of man coverage. This season, Jackson had one interception (which he returned 79 yards) and was second on the team in passes defended with 13.

One of the reasons Jackson projects to the NFL better than his more publicized teammate is that while Arenas ran 4.61 at the combine in the 40-yard dash, Jackson turned in a 4.4. Jackson also has been timed as low as 4.34.

The one area that's tough to gauge with Jackson, though, is his return ability. He believes he has the skills to do it in the NFL, but he didn't get many opportunities because Arenas was one of the nation's best in that category.

"I really didn't get a chance to show it because we had Javier Arenas,'' Jackson said. "I also returned and I think that'll set me apart, too.''

I'm really starting to believe that Jackson could be the pick at #34, if he isn't selected at the end of the 1st round.

April 19th, 2010, 10:01 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cornerbacks
Quote:
Louis Delmas' friend Brandon Ghee would like to join him with Lions
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Comments (0) Recommend Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share
NEW YORK -- As the Detroit Lions build their secondary around safety Louis Delmas, one prospect would feel comfortable: Wake Forest cornerback Brandon Ghee.

NEW SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY FUELS MUSCLE BUILDING

AGE 55 OR OLDER? PAY UP TO 75% LESS FOR YOUR CRUISE

DO YOU QUALIFY FOR A CREDIT CARD BAILOUT?

MYSTERIOUS FRUITS REVERSE AGING, IMPROVE HEALTH

3 SIGNS YOU'RE OVERPAYING FOR AUTO INSURANCE

VIEW YOUR CREDIT REPORT AND SCORES
“I wouldn’t mind playing with my boy Delmas,” Ghee said. “He know he’s crazy, hitting. He’s one of my good friends.”

Ghee worked out with Delmas in Miami this off-season. He didn’t come to Detroit for a predraft visit, but he didn’t have to. He played for the Lions’ coaches in January at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and spoke highly of secondary coach Tim Walton.

“Coach Walton’s a funny guy,” Ghee said. “I think he’s a good coach. He’s young. He’s very energetic. He got me better, to be honest with you. He got me ready for the NFL.”

Ghee also gave a strong showing in February at the NFL scouting combine, where he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds, fastest among defensive backs. The knocks on Ghee are his ball skills -- one career interception -- and run-stopping ability.

The Lions, who ranked last in pass defense last season, are overhauling their secondary and could draft someone like Ghee or Florida State’s Patrick Robinson.

“I think it’s a possibility,” Ghee said. “I think they are looking for a corner. It’s obvious.”

The NFL invited Ghee to the draft because he is projected as an early round pick. The Lions have the second pick in each of the first four rounds.

“I think I could fit into Detroit, hands down,” Ghee said. “No doubt about it, I would love to play for the Detroit Lions.”

Does Ghee think Delmas put in a good word for him?

“Hopefully,” Ghee said.

Delmas usually has a lot of words to put in.

“He talks so much,” Ghee cracked, “I don’t know if they’re going to pay attention to him.”

April 21st, 2010, 5:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Cornerbacks
I will be very surprised if Wilson makes it out of the top 20

April 21st, 2010, 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next