View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Draft Day Thread 
Junior Varsity

Post Re: Draft Day Thread
m2karateman wrote:
Also, as alluded to by other posters, the biggest problem is that the Lions would have had a GOLDEN opportunity to now trade down and pick up additional picks.

I don't dislike Best. As I said, I feel he has first round talent. I just don't think he was the best pick for this team at that spot. I am of the opinion the Lions need a back to wear down defenses and control the clock moreso than the so called "home run hitter" that Best represents.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel in a nutshell. Well put. =D>

I know a lot of people were really high on best going into this draft. In this case I hope they're right.

April 23rd, 2010, 4:47 pm
RIP Killer

I was high on Best, still am, hope I'm right.

April 23rd, 2010, 4:56 pm
Junior Varsity

steensn wrote:
I was high on Best, still am, hope I'm right.

Well, I hope you're right too. [-o<

Overall, I'm right in middle on Best and figure him to be a decent pickup that'll make some highlight reels moves and maybe win a game or two for us over the course of time.

I was so down on the move up to get him and the pick itself because what I'm scared to death of is because of trading back up to get him, we won't get a CB in the draft and they're going to bring punkman jones and preacher deion to town as a result. They've made so many moves for players with class to try to inch us towards respectable, that would be such a huge step backwards both talent and character-wise.

April 23rd, 2010, 5:25 pm
RIP Killer

mike06181 wrote:
dont forget the possiblity of trading a 2nd next yr for a pick in this yrs 2nd. the pats love to trade into future drafts. There is no way they use all of those picks this yr. They dont have the room on their roster for all of them.

Mike, the Pats have a bunch of picks every year. Last year they traded and picked up two exta second rounders for this draft, but still managed to pick 12 players in 2009. They will take the players they want, let them compete in camp, and cut the ones they can't use. If another team wants their trash, they truly don't care. They take the best players to fill their roster with. They will look for chances to get future picks, sure. But rest assured, the Pats will not take a 2nd round pick next year for a 2nd round pick this year. Their demand will be the Lions first rounder next year.

Would you be willing to pay that? I don't think the Lions should. The Lions won't be a playoff team. As such, their picks will be in the top 15 of each round.....possibly top ten.

April 23rd, 2010, 5:48 pm
Stats Boy

Steensn,

I agree, everything up to this point is speculation about Best. It may not seem like it, but I do like him as a player. I'm just a little unsure that this was the best way to use our 2nd round pick. Let's hope that he turns out to be a playmaker for this offense. His play on the field will determine if this was the right move.

Like many of you, I am really hopeful that the Lions will be able to stay at #66 and get a starting quality CB. I am really big on Javier Arenas, but I've read in a few places that he may be a nickel back at best. I liked what I saw from him at Alabama and I really like what he brings in the return game. Do you guys think that he would present good value at #66? Do you think that he will even be available at that spot?

April 23rd, 2010, 5:50 pm
Junior Varsity

Hmm, ESPN is still showing Detroit as having the #100 pick tomorrow. Didn't we switch that with the Vikes #128 to move up for Best? :-s

April 23rd, 2010, 10:12 pm
RIP Killer

CalvintheBeast wrote:
Hmm, ESPN is still showing Detroit as having the #100 pick tomorrow. Didn't we switch that with the Vikes #128 to move up for Best? :-s

Yes, we made that trade. ESPN is dropping the ball with their draft coverage, in more ways than one.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:17 pm
Junior Varsity

Thanks, I had a feeling it was an ESPN thing....

And I agree about the coverage, I was so glad Cleveland drafted McCoy. The last 4 hours+ of hearing about how every team apparently needed either Claussen or McCoy was much, much mroe then enough. Heard those 2 names more then every other combined today it felt like.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:27 pm
RIP Killer

CalvintheBeast wrote:
Thanks, I had a feeling it was an ESPN thing....

And I agree about the coverage, I was so glad Cleveland drafted McCoy. The last 4 hours+ of hearing about how every team apparently needed either Claussen or McCoy was much, much mroe then enough. Heard those 2 names more then every other combined today it felt like.

Don't hold your breath....because now we might have to deal with hearing Dan LeFevour's name tomorrow until somebody mercifully selects him. After that, it will likely be about whether Mike Kafka or Jonathan Crompton or John Skelton should be the next QBs taken.

I used to enjoy the ESPN draft coverage. Whoever is running the show for the year is doing a horrific job, and I think Chris Berman is going to go apesh!t once it's all said and done. More than once he seemed visually perturbed at the lack of information or direction coming in.

I would have switched over to NFL Network, but I don't get the channel. I watched the feed on NFL.com last night for about three minutes and I just couldn't handle it any longer.

I might just watch the feed on NFL.com for the draft tracket without watching coverage on TV.

April 23rd, 2010, 11:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

What happened to Donovan Warren, He's a very unerrated player

April 23rd, 2010, 11:44 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Killwill25 wrote:
What happened to Donovan Warren, He's a very unerrated player

He is still on the board.

April 24th, 2010, 9:49 am
RIP Killer

Really good fourth round pick by the Lions. Fox is worth more than a fourth rounder, and he fell due to a knee injury. If he heals up properly, with a little NFL coaching, the Lions could have their LT of the future.

Let's just hope his leg is OK, and he can use his athleticism to our advantage. If he's OK, he may even start at RT this season at some point. Lord knows Cherilus has had his chance.

April 24th, 2010, 11:55 am
Junior Varsity

ESPN just put millen on to give his obviously "expert" opinion on draft evaluations. Far as I'm concerned they should have their ability to televise it permanently revoked.

millen... this :finger: is for you.

April 24th, 2010, 12:46 pm
Junior Varsity

Ok, it figures I turn away from the ESPN broadcast and when I flip back to see trade news there's millen in the spotlight of shame, apologizing for something he apparently said to Jaworski that "could've been construed as offensive to people of Polish descent".

Argh, but at least I didn't miss watching millen forced to squirm. Ahh... but it's the little things I enjoy :cheers:

April 24th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Div 1 - Starter

CalvintheBeast wrote:
Ok, it figures I turn away from the ESPN broadcast and when I flip back to see trade news there's millen in the spotlight of shame, apologizing for something he apparently said to Jaworski that "could've been construed as offensive to people of Polish descent".

Argh, but at least I didn't miss watching millen forced to squirm. Ahh... but it's the little things I enjoy :cheers:

The moron needs to stick to in game analysis and do nothing else. The only thing he's good at is sounding like he knows what he's talking about.

April 24th, 2010, 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next