View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 My Thoughts and Draft Grades on the Lions Draft 
NFL Team Captain

Post My Thoughts and Draft Grades on the Lions Draft
Not that anyone cares, but here are my thoughts and grades on our draft:

#2 Ndamakong Suh DT - Obvioulsy this a great pick and with Suh arguably being the best player in the draft, the Lions spanked a home run on this pick. Suh is already a fan favorite. As long as he can stay healthy he will create nightmares for opposing offenses for many years to come. Absolutely love the pick. A+

#30 Jahvid Best RB - I'll admit I wasn't all that interested in Best. I had bought into the injury label, but after watching film on this kid, he is going to be exciting to watch. I think moving up 4 spots to get him hurt the second half of our draft and forced us to draft for need instead of BPA. With that said this kid just might make the move worth it. A-

#66 Amari Spievey CB - Mixed reports on this kid have me a little concerned that this was a panic pick for the FO. Some reports having this kid listed as a "shut down" corner and some reports say that he struggles. Guess we'll see? I saw a lot of talent still on the board at #66 and the last time I checked we need talent. Not crazy about the pick, but nothing would make me happier than to be wrong. C+

#128 Jason Fox OT - Question marks on where he may have ended up prior to the leg inury have him being a 2nd round talent. We need depth at OL, but again I felt like our players were coming off the board and the FO was trying to stick to the BPA plan but feeling some pressure to fill needs. I don't see Fox as being our replacement to Backus nor do I think he was drafted to be. Depth is good, but a surprise starter at this pick would be awesome. C-

#213 Willie Young DE - To see Everson Griffen fall so far down the board and then to see the Vikings pick him in our spot in round 4 really got my goat! Young is athletic, but will need to bulk up. Possible contributor? Possible Mystery LB'r? Who knows, but pickings get slim in the last round again this would be a nice surprise to see Young turn into a contributor and he just might be able to make that leap in a year or so, especially with the lack of talent ahead of him. I liked this pick at this spot. B-

#255 Timmy Toone WR - Small school reciever that stood out at Weber State. Looked more like high school than college. Absolutely hated this pick with Donovan Warren, Lagarrett Blount, Joquise Bell, still on the board and again a team that has needs. I will be shocked to see Toone on the practice squad come August. F

Overall Draft Grade: B-

April 24th, 2010, 7:59 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: My Thoughts and Draft Grades on the Lions Draft
Just my personal opinion, but I think you've judged the Lions a little too harshly. I wasn't a big fan of the trade up to secure Best, but they didn't give up a tremendous amount for him. I would have rather the Lions got a power back to wear down defenses, but if Best can stay healthy and live up to the expectations, he'll be a steal.
Spievey was seen as anywhere from a second to fourth round talent, depending on what draft "expert" you give credence to. All I know is that Jon Gruden seemed to think the kid is a great fit for the Lions in Gunner's defense, and Gruden should know.
Getting a second round talent in Jason Fox that late in the fourth round is a solid move by any standard. The Lions are going to be staring down the idea of either getting rid of Jeff Backus or Gosder Cherilus before the 2011 season. Fox is supposedly 100% healed from his knee injury, and was having a pretty good year before electing to have the surgery with two games left in the Hurricanes season. He played a number of games with a gimpy knee, which shows his heart and toughness. And despite the knee injury, he still played fairly well. I saw him as a late two to mid three talent. This could be their best pick, value wise. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jason Fox starting at right tackle sometime during this season, ahead of a healthy Gosder Cherilus.
Willie Young was a very good pick, though he needs to bulk up. I suspect he will do just that, as he has the size and frame to do it. NC State likes to have big DTs, but lean and quick DEs in their defense. I suspect Young will be 15-20 pounds heavier by the start of the season.
Toone, I agree, is a questionable pick. He was considered a sleeper, and does have a decent skill set. However, I just don't feel that getting yet another receiver with return skills was the wisest course of action. Wide receiver is not a position where we lack depth, and seventh round picks should be used on such things. Personally, a safety or linebacker would have been more prudent possibilities. Donovan Warren could have been considered for moving to free safety, as well as Western Illinois player Patrick Stoudamire. Simoni Lawrence or Kion Wilson would have been ideas for taking a linebacker as “Mr. Irrelavent”.

April 24th, 2010, 11:35 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
#255 Timmy Toone WR - Small school reciever that stood out at Weber State. Looked more like high school than college. Absolutely hated this pick with Donovan Warren, Lagarrett Blount, Joquise Bell, still on the board and again a team that has needs. I will be shocked to see Toone on the practice squad come August. F

Those are my thoughts on this guy, too. I watched his "highlight" film and that was my thought exactly. Was that high school football? Has he ever played against any real talent? Was he even scouted? Why not take the best available cornerback or linebacker and hope to get lucky?

The only reason I can think of for picking Toone is that they think he can be a good return man. What talent does he have? Speed? It seems like it's hard to judge his speed when he wasn't playing against Division I speed. Who knows, maybe he doesn't have many drops, runs good routes, and will beat out bust Derrick Williams.

April 24th, 2010, 11:55 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

from what i have read toone was brought in because they thought fans would like him said follet might have competition in that department

April 25th, 2010, 2:26 am
Junior Varsity

Growler wrote:
Those are my thoughts on this guy, too. I watched his "highlight" film and that was my thought exactly. Was that high school football? Has he ever played against any real talent? Was he even scouted? Why not take the best available cornerback or linebacker and hope to get lucky?

Ok, to a point I understand. I had a lot of players I would've liked to see them draft myself. Of all the picks though this one I'll wait and see. Our WRs outside the top 2 are totally suspect and if this guy can give us a slot option and/or an explosive returner (which his press clipping and highlights suggest).... could be well worth it. But asking if he played against any "real talent? Just because they aren't playing for a major college doesn't immediately make them bums... if it did Jerry Rice would've never made it to the pros, never mind that whole HOF or GOAT thing he had going on :wink:

Not saying the guy is anywhere near Jerry Rice, just saying you shouldn't count him out entirely based only on that. Course, considering Best if getting compared to Barry already maybe.... :-#

Last edited by CalvintheBeast on April 27th, 2010, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2010, 2:32 am
Position Coach

I think we Willie young was drafted to play LB

April 25th, 2010, 10:51 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Not that anyone cares

Ya got that right! :lol: j/k

April 25th, 2010, 12:39 pm
NFL Team Captain

slybri19 wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Not that anyone cares

Ya got that right! :lol: j/k

Ahhh, you're still sore over me winning the Fantasy Football Championship! =;

April 25th, 2010, 1:39 pm
Veteran General Manager

Growler wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

The only reason I can think of for picking Toone is that they think he can be a good return man. What talent does he have? Speed? It seems like it's hard to judge his speed when he wasn't playing against Division I speed. Who knows, maybe he doesn't have many drops, runs good routes, and will beat out bust Derrick Williams.

I am hoping that Mayhew and Schwartz look at him and see the next Mel Grey. ( I am not saying he will be Mel Grey. I'm hoping he is though.)

April 26th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]