View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Draft Grades/Winners and Losers 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Draft Grades/Winners and Losers
Calvin, I understand what you're saying, but you don't trade a bunch of proven players for a bunch of "what if's?". Personally, I think what the Broncos did at the beginning of last season was a fluke, and this year's team will more closely resemble what they did in the latter half. I guess we'll see.

April 25th, 2010, 12:33 pm
RIP Killer

CalvintheBeast wrote:
Stallion wrote:
I hate McDaniels, I hate the Broncos, and I hated their draft. I feel like McDaniel's is tying his own noose with this draft but I have a horribly strange feeling it won't be that bad. Hope I am wrong though.

Tebow says " [-o< "

And I loved their draft. Loved even more that people hated it. :mrgreen:

Well, lets take a look at Denver's draft.

#22 WR Demaryius Thomas-actually, I don't think this pick is bad at all. Thomas is not a character concern like Bryant, has better speed and height, and was very productive when thrown to in college. However, he is not considered to be NFL ready, since he doesn't really know a route tree, hasn't shown the discipline to run crisp routes. He'll likely be a day one starter, but will be a work in progress throughout the season.

#25 QB Tim Tebow-selecting a QB in the first round who has spent the past two and a half months reworking his throwing mechanics and pocket footwork isn't what I'd call a shrewd move. McDaniels and Denver panicked, pure and simple. They already have two starters on their roster, so it is true that they can bring Tebow along slowly and hope that he evolves into a starting quality NFL QB. But, as we've found with Obama, hope is not a great strategy for the future.

#45 OG Zane Beadles-a reach, if ever there was one. Beadles was OWNED routinely during the Senior Bowl practices. With better players like Ducasse, Asamoah and Jerry still on the board, this is a very questionable pick. I know that the need at OG was dire for the Broncos, but much better players were still on the board, and Beadles was selected two rounds beyond what he graded at.

#80 OC J.D. Walton-a nice pickup, particularly with the loss of Casey Wiegman. But once again, this was a reach. Walton, like Beadles, was more of a fourth round talent. Given their desperate need for a center, I can't blame McDaniels too much for this pick.

#87 WR Erick Decker-Actually, this is a pick I like quite a bit. Decker is a solid receiver, and getting him late in the third round was a pretty good value. He'll see time as a third or fourth receiver for this team.

#137 CB Perrish Cox-My favorite pick for this team. I think Cox is a late second round talent who fell because of ridiculous "character" concerns. There were guys drafted far higher, with less talent. Cox isn't the fastest guy, but he has quick feet, fluid hips and good ball skills. He can return kicks and punts as well. One of the best value picks of the draft, in my opinion.

#183 OC Eric Olsen-I don't think this was a good pick at all. They got their center already, and Olsen was lackluster at the Senior Bowl, the Combines and the ND Pro Day. I expected him to go undrafted. I think he would have if Denver had not taken him.

#225 CB Syd'Quan Thompson-Good value in the seventh round. Thompson was once seen as a second round talent, but his stock dropped like a rock in quicksand with a lackluster 2009 season. He isn't tall, isn't strong, and isn't terribly fast. He'll be lucky to make the team.

#232 DE Jamie Kirlew-Not a bad pick. It remains to be seen how well he can adjust into a 34 OLB role, but seventh rounders are supposed to be developmental talent. Not overly intriguing, but not a complete waste of a pick. Kirlew was viewed by some as a possible sixth round pick.

Let's face facts, as a body of work this wasn't a terrible draft. Needs along the interior offensive line were addressed, as was the wide receiver position. Perrish Cox will fight for a starting job, but will likely become the dime or maybe nickel cover corner. However, they didn't address their inside line backer position, and they had opportunities to. I'm surprised the Broncos didn't make the trade for Kirk Morrison. But their first four picks can be considered reaches. And when it comes down to it, this draft for the Broncos will be judged on just one pick, Tebow. If he doesn't develop into a starter by 2012, this will be considered a poor pick, and a poor draft as a result.

April 25th, 2010, 5:57 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
#25 QB Tim Tebow-selecting a QB in the first round who has spent the past two and a half months reworking his throwing mechanics and pocket footwork isn't what I'd call a shrewd move. McDaniels and Denver panicked, pure and simple. They already have two starters on their roster, so it is true that they can bring Tebow along slowly and hope that he evolves into a starting quality NFL QB. But, as we've found with Obama, hope is not a great strategy for the future.

The rest of your analysis I agreed with, but this is incorrect. While I agree Tebow was a reach, it was not a panic move. Tebow purchased all those Broco hats (something like ~20) well before the party on draft day. He knew that Denver wanted him specifically, and I believe he knew that it would be in the 1st round. Without Denvers reach he likely would have been taken near the middle of the 2nd, but Denver knew they wanted him, and he was pretty sure that Denver was taking him. That isnt Panic. That is continuing the concept of him being the Chosen One. They believe he will ressurect their franchise. Most Denver fans are ecstatic right now.

I actually would like to see him succeed, but am not holding a lot of hope in that.

April 25th, 2010, 8:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Team Captain

DJ-B wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

The rest of your analysis I agreed with, but this is incorrect. While I agree Tebow was a reach, it was not a panic move. Tebow purchased all those Broco hats (something like ~20) well before the party on draft day. He knew that Denver wanted him specifically, and I believe he knew that it would be in the 1st round. Without Denvers reach he likely would have been taken near the middle of the 2nd, but Denver knew they wanted him, and he was pretty sure that Denver was taking him. That isnt Panic. That is continuing the concept of him being the Chosen One. They believe he will ressurect their franchise. Most Denver fans are ecstatic right now.

I actually would like to see him succeed, but am not holding a lot of hope in that.

I read somewhere that Tebow actually bought several dozen hats of the teams that he thought would take him. Supposedly his agent returned the unused ones. Not sure if that is true, just what I read.

April 25th, 2010, 8:37 pm
RIP Killer

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I read somewhere that Tebow actually bought several dozen hats of the teams that he thought would take him. Supposedly his agent returned the unused ones. Not sure if that is true, just what I read.

I heard the same thing. I heard he had hats from Denver, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Cleveland.

Also, there was some rumors running around DURING the draft that Buffalo was making inquiries as to what it would take to move up in round two, or at the end of round one if Tebow was still available.

Honestly, I don't see why any teams were scrambling to get Tebow. People sit there and say, "he was a winner in college". Well, so were scores of other college QBs who didn't make it in the NFL. And many of them were better passers.

We'll see how it turns out. I predict epic bust.

April 26th, 2010, 10:43 am
RIP Killer

After Big Ben, someone lie Tebow became a "must" have with his larger than life character. He's one you won't have to worry about raping anyone...

April 26th, 2010, 11:01 am
#1 Overall Pick

slybri19 wrote:
Calvin, I understand what you're saying, but you don't trade a bunch of proven players for a bunch of "what if's?". Personally, I think what the Broncos did at the beginning of last season was a fluke, and this year's team will more closely resemble what they did in the latter half. I guess we'll see.

I heard on NFL network that the Broncos gave up 170 rushing yards per game over the last 10 games last year, in the process of going 2-8.

Not only that, but 8 of the top 11 tacklers for the Broncos will be 30+ years old this year.

The Broncos had 5 picks in the top 100 selections in the 2010 draft, and they spent ALL of them on offense.

They have drafted 7 defensive players with their 19 picks over the last 2 drafts, but 2 of those were in the 7th round this year.

The also have only drafted 2 defensive players that play in the front 7 of the defense in 2 years!

The age.....

Brian Dawkins.... 36 y.o. turns 37 in October.
Jamal Williams..... 34 at start of season
Champ Bailey...... 32 y.o. at start of season
Andre Goodman.... 32 y.o. at start of season
Justin Bannan...... 31 y.o.
Renaldo Hill............ 31 y.o. (turns 32 in November)
Mario Haggan......... 30 y.o.
Jarvis Green.......... 31 y.o.

Kenny Peterson..... 31 y.o. (turns 32 in November) ...not sure if he is FA.
Vonnie Holliday..... 34 y.o. (UFA? retired?)
Ty Law............. 36 y.o. signed for part of 2009, doubt he returns!

The youth?

DJ Williams.... 28 y.o.
Dumervil....... 26 y.o.
Ronald Fields.... 28 y.o. NT (turns 29 in September)
Woodyard..... 24 y.o. (undersized LB for 3-4 defense @6'0", 220LB.)
Jarvis Moss..... 26 y.o.
Robert Ayers.... 24 y.o.
Alphonso Smith.... 24 y.o.
Darcel McBath...... 24 yo.
Marcus Thomas..... 25 y.o.

Even IF the DBs the Broncos have taken in the past 2 drafts pan out, they still are looking at a lot of trouble for their front 7 in the next few years.

Before McDaniels arrived, this was a team with a top 10 offense that couldn't win because of its defense. Now, they don't even have the players that made them a top 10 offense..... and they still have MAJOR problems on defense.

April 26th, 2010, 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2