View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 QB's in this draft... 
RIP Killer

Post QB's in this draft...
So it seems that the top 4 QB's all went to a team that can use them to their best advantages. It's nice to see character so highly thought of after the Big Ben fiasco. He'll get a chance to sit and learn for a year or two behind Orton (gets shafted AGAIN no matter how slightly above average he plays). Just the situation he needed to go into.

McCoy get's the same setup playing behind Delhomme and Wallace till he is ready. Mike Holgram knows the value of sitting him his rookie year. Amazing to see them snag him with a freaking 3rd rounder. I thought they would snag him in the first... then the second round came around... still confused... what a steal.

Clausen goes to a team he can start sooner rather than later, he;s more ready for the NFL. Still, Panthers got a stupid good deal getting what COULD be the best QB in the draft (best chance of being better than Bradford if he can play as solid as some thought he could). At one time he was even thought to be a better drat prospect.

Seems like the teams undervalued the QB's this year IMO. Seems as if these things go back and forth. Everyone thought that McCoy, Bradford, and Clausen should have came out early... yet they stayed put and maybe just possibly screwed themselves outta the QB grab last year (Not Bradford of course)?

April 26th, 2010, 2:14 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: QB's in this draft...
I like McCoy a lot, hell he is the winningest QB in college football history and helped the burnt orange quickly forget about a guy named Young who lead them to the promised land over what was considered one of the best college teams of all times. Only thing is arm strength, and playing outdoors in CLE that could be a problem.

I've heard too many concerns with Clausen's personality and that he really isn't a leader, could got the Joey route.

I'm still surprised Tebow went in the first, that is going to add pressure to his development - he will be the most interesting to watch to see if he pans out.

Bradford was very accurate, but when I watched him play he was behind a very good OL and basically never pressured so I always had trouble fully evaluating the guy. Not sure what he is like under pressure and getting hit. The few times I did see him get hit, he didn't return.

Also got to route for the hometown kid that went to Central. Fire up Chips!

April 26th, 2010, 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Old-timers may remember when the accepted wisdom was that a QB wasn't ready to start in the NFL till he spent five years in the league! :shock: Ridiculous rookie contracts have pretty much precluded that wisdom.

In my opinion, the Packers did it right with Aaron Rodgers. :wink: The likes of Vinny Testaverde, Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Jim Plunkett, and others bear it out as well.

April 26th, 2010, 5:40 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I do not feel any of the QB's drafted this year will turn into anything.

April 26th, 2010, 6:43 pm
RIP Killer

Not even Bradford? Really? I think he is a STUD and will do well. I am up in the air on the rest, but each one at least got into a situation where they do not need to start right away but Bradford.

April 26th, 2010, 6:46 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

bradford has too much bust potenial to have gone #1.. besides the shoulder... can he read D's.. comes from a very gimmic offense. plus 3rd yr (jr) qbs bust more then that make it in the league.

best qbs long term from this draft...

1. clausen
2. mccoy
3. bradford
4. tebow

April 26th, 2010, 7:09 pm
RIP Killer

mike06181 wrote:
bradford has too much bust potenial to have gone #1.. besides the shoulder... can he read D's.. comes from a very gimmic offense. plus 3rd yr (jr) qbs bust more then that make it in the league.

best qbs long term from this draft...

1. clausen
2. mccoy
3. bradford
4. tebow

I think Bradford has shown with his incredibly amazing stats that he has what it takes. Yes, the offense helped fluff them, but you can't get the kind of numbers he got without the talent. Is he as "ready" as Clausen... no, but he has more ability than Clausen can dream of.

April 26th, 2010, 7:13 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

steensn wrote:
Not even Bradford? Really? I think he is a STUD and will do well. I am up in the air on the rest, but each one at least got into a situation where they do not need to start right away but Bradford.

I said it last year when the Bradford Stafford debate was raging. I believe Bradford's ceiling is Matt Hasselbeckish and I believe he will only achieve that through 3 years on the bench. The fact that he went #1 overall to a team without another real QB option does not bode well for him. I honestly want Bradford to do well for the Rams sake but I do not see it. Colt McCoy and Tebow are both products of gimmicky systems as well. I think Clausen has the best chance and I would not bet on him either.

April 27th, 2010, 12:25 am
RIP Killer

That is fair, I do remember your stance taken against Bradford. I was the exact opposite in that debate.

April 27th, 2010, 10:12 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I think this could be one of those years that every QB fails. Clausen is the most NFL ready, but there are questions concerning his leadership abilities. This makes me think that he could suffer the same fate as Joey. I never had any confidence that McCoy (arm strength) or Tebow (mechanics) would ever develop into an NFL starting QB, so they are works in progress which could take a few years. That leaves Sam Bradford as having the best chance to succeed. Unfortunately for him though, the Rams are terrible and he has very little (besides Jackson) to work with. Because of that, I can see him struggling for a couple of years until the talent around him improves. By then, will it be too late?

April 27th, 2010, 10:37 am
NFL Team Captain

Well... I'm gonna buck the system and go out on a limb and say that I think McCoy goes on to have the most success. He will get the luxury of being brought along slowly (barring injury to Jake) and he will get the option to learn the system rather than being thrown to the fire. He'll also have the luxury of waiting a year or so for the team to add additional talent. The only thing that will effect McCoy, is that I believe Man -Gina will be gone after this year. I'd look for Gruden or Cowher to be high on the list of Coaches that Holmgren will be after for the 2011 season. If that were to happen, then his chances for success continue to climb.

April 27th, 2010, 11:09 am
Walk On

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
Well... I'm gonna buck the system and go out on a limb and say that I think McCoy goes on to have the most success. He will get the luxury of being brought along slowly (barring injury to Jake) and he will get the option to learn the system rather than being thrown to the fire. He'll also have the luxury of waiting a year or so for the team to add additional talent. The only thing that will effect McCoy, is that I believe Man -Gina will be gone after this year. I'd look for Gruden or Cowher to be high on the list of Coaches that Holmgren will be after for the 2011 season. If that were to happen, then his chances for success continue to climb.

Maybe with Cower but not with Gruden. Gruden has a short temperament with QB's.

Also if Mangina is out at the end of the year and the Browns are picking at the top. There is a good chance the next coach is going to want their guy. I honestly think that no QB went to the right team. I don't think Tebow will ever have the skill. Bradford is never going to get the time one the bench he needs, unlike Stafford, Sanchez, Ryan, and Flacco, Bradford did not play in a similar offense and will not be able to play as an NFL QB his first year. Clausen is Cutler 2.0 even if he succeeds early, it seems like he is a rift maker and that is going to kill him in the pros. McCoy will not as a third round pick get a chance to start until his second year, its very likely a Stanton like move will happen and they will pick a high first round pick before he has a chance to develop.

April 28th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]