View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 2010/11 Celebrity Death Pool. Wanna play in 2012? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2010 Celebrity Death Pool
steensn wrote:
You guys are all sick people... :cry:

Why? It's not like they are on here rooting for their selections to die. It's simply a list of prediction. Everyone dies, that's a fact. Predicting that some celebrities will die in the coming year is not that morbid or sick.

Now, if they were on here wishing for one of their picks to die, that would be a different story. So far, I've seen nothing of that nature....it's actually been somewhat respectful of their passings.

May 13th, 2010, 2:33 pm
RIP Killer

Just teasing...

May 13th, 2010, 3:29 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

AP wrote:
Metal legend Ronnie James Dio dead at 67
By WAYNE PARRY, AP
9 minutes ago

Ronnie James Dio, whose soaring vocals, poetic lyrics and mythic tales of a never-ending struggle between good and evil broke new ground in heavy metal, died Sunday, according to a statement from his wife and manager. He was 67.

Dio revealed last summer that he was suffering from stomach cancer shortly after wrapping up a tour in Atlantic City, N.J. with the latest incarnation of Black Sabbath, under the name Heaven And Hell.

"Today my heart is broken," Wendy Dio wrote on the singer's site, adding he died at 7:45 a.m. "Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all," Wendy Dio continued. "We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us ... Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

The statement was confirmed by Los Angeles publicist Maureen O'Connor.

Though he had recently undergone his seventh chemotherapy treatment, he was hopeful to perform again. Earlier this month, the band Heaven And Hell canceled its summer tour, but Dio did not view being sidelined as a permanent thing.

"Wendy, my doctors and I have worked so hard to make it happen for all of you, the ones we care so much about, that this setback could be devastating, but we will not let it be," he said in a statement. "With your continued love and support, we ... will carry on and thrive. There will be other tours, more music, more life and much more magic."

Dio rose to fame in 1975 as the first lead singer of Rainbow, the heavy metal band put together by guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who had just quit Deep Purple.

Dio then replaced legendary vocalist Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1980 with the critically acclaimed album "Heaven And Hell," considered by many critics to be one of the finest heavy metal albums of all time. His on-again, off-again tenure with Black Sabbath touched off an intense debate among fans as to which singer was the true essence of the band — a discussion that lasted until his death.

He also enjoyed a successful solo career with his self-titled band, Dio, in between his three stints with Black Sabbath (1980-82; 1992; and 2007-2009, when the band toured as Heaven And Hell, to differentiate it from Osbourne-led versions of Sabbath).

Many of his most memorable songs revolved around the struggle between good and evil, including his signature tune "Heaven And Hell." He also drew heavily on medieval imagery in songs like "Neon Knights," "Killing The Dragon" and "Stargazer."

"He possessed one of the greatest voices in all of heavy metal, and had a heart to match it," said Twisted Sister guitarist Jay Jay French, whose band toured with Dio since 1983, and was to do so again this summer at European rock festivals. "He was the nicest, classiest person you would ever want to meet."

Dio organized an all-star charity collaboration in 1986 called "Hear N' Aid" to raise money for famine relief in Africa, styled on the successful "We Are The World" campaign of a few years earlier.

His solo hits included "Rainbow In The Dark," "The Last In Line" and "Holy Diver."

RIP Dio.

I was a big fan of his with Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and his solo career. I also was lucky enough to see him in concert twice, once in 1987 and again in 1994. He will be missed. And for those that think that heavy metal singers can only scream, this guy could sing and sing well.

As for the purpose of this thread, I just picked up 33 points with his passing, so I'm now in first place with 65 points. Mwill2 is 2nd with 32, and everyone else has zero.

May 16th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Fox News wrote:
Actor Dennis Hopper Dies at 74 After Suffering From Prostate Cancer

Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper died Saturday in Venice, Calif., from complications due to prostate cancer, Reuters reported.

RIP Dennis.

This now gives me 91 points in the death pool, with mwill2 in 2nd with 32.

May 29th, 2010, 1:54 pm
3rd Round Selection

So I guess Gary Coleman has to be the first surprise here considering no one picked him and I don't imagine anyone really even thought of him as a possibility.

Well...ok Peter Steele would probably be the FIRST surprise but he's not a "huge" celebrity that most people on here would know. (lead singer of Type O Negative for those who have no idea who he is)

Steele and Dio are the only deaths so far this year that really hit me, huge fan of both...they both really provided a lot to the metal community Dio is one of the greatest rock/metal vocalists of all time and Steele while not at the level of Dio had a unique voice himself and doing most of the writing for Type O helped really usher in a new sound in the 90's.

IDK why but for some reason when I heard about Hopper's death the only thing I could say was "Shoot the Hostage!"

May 30th, 2010, 1:58 am

Rob, I'm in another Death Pool where two people actually had Gary Coleman, so it wasn't that big of a surprise. That site had 193 people enter and I'm currently in 6th place. That's pretty good considering how many others are playing. They're also a bunch of sicko freaks (unlike here) who celebrate every death and use the phrase, "Pray for more!"

June 1st, 2010, 9:28 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Quote:
John Wooden, a staid Midwesterner who migrated to U.C.L.A. and became college basketball’s most successful coach, earning the nickname the Wizard of Westwood and an enduring place in sports history, died Friday at Ronald Reagan U.C.L.A. Medical Center, where he had been hospitalized since May 26. He was 99.

His death was announced by the university.

Wooden created a sports dynasty against which all others are compared, and usually pale. His teams at U.C.L.A. won 10 national championships in a 12-season stretch from 1964 to 1975. From 1971 to 1974, U.C.L.A. won 88 consecutive games, still the N.C.A.A. record.

Four of Wooden’s teams finished with 30-0 records, including his first championship team, which featured no starters taller than 6 feet 5 inches.

Three of his other championship teams were anchored by the 7-foot-2 center Lew Alcindor, who later changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Two others were led by center Bill Walton, a three-time national player of the year.

Wooden retired after U.C.L.A.’s 1975 championship victory over Kentucky. A slight man hugely popular for his winning record and his understated approach, he ultimately became viewed as a kind of sage for both basketball and life, a symbol of both excellence and simpler times.

[Excerpted from NYtimes.com] http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/05/sports/ncaabasketball/05wooden.html

One point for me. I'm second-guessing my strategy of choosing people in their 90's--my only previous score was 32 for Chemical Ali. The rest of my choices are pretty old so with 33 points, I don't think I'm going to catch Sly, who has 91.

June 5th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Thanks for updating, but why would anyone pick somebody who was 99 years old?

June 7th, 2010, 8:48 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

slybri19 wrote:
Thanks for updating, but why would anyone pick somebody who was 99 years old?

Well, because they are more likely to die. However, it obviously isn't a winning strategy! I'm an idiot, what can I say?

June 7th, 2010, 11:49 am

Quote:
Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia dead at 92

mwill2 and njroar each get 8 points. This makes the current standings:

slybri19 = 91
mwill2 = 41
njroar = 8

June 28th, 2010, 2:24 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Im good at this game! ](*,)

June 29th, 2010, 12:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, me too! I am awesome at this! /sarcasm

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 29th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Veteran General Manager

slybri19 wrote:
Quote:
Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia dead at 92

mwill2 and njroar each get 8 points. This makes the current standings:

slybri19 = 91
mwill2 = 41
njroar = 8

Oh man! No more Millie the Dog speeches during a filibuster.

On the positive side, There is now 1 less liberal in Washington.

June 29th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Reuters wrote:
Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dies: NY Daily News
11 minutes ago

NEW YORK — New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has died, the New York Daily News reported on its website on Tuesday, citing an unnamed source.
(Reporting by Daniel Trotta)

Pablo is on the board with 20 points.

July 13th, 2010, 10:05 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
Reuters wrote:
Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dies: NY Daily News
11 minutes ago

NEW YORK — New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has died, the New York Daily News reported on its website on Tuesday, citing an unnamed source.
(Reporting by Daniel Trotta)

Pablo is on the board with 20 points.

damn, I was hoping to finish with 0 points and in last place.

July 13th, 2010, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next