View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 2011 draft, need CBs and LBs, but soon OL needs rebuilding 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: 2011 draft, need CBs and LBs, but soon OL needs rebuildi
Mahew is probably kicking himself for letting Foote go and trading Sims.

That aside, I think we need a CB in the first round, irrespective for whether Houston works out. We could get decent LBs in the later rounds, assuming we didn't address that in FA, so I'd say RT second round with an LB/S/G in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds.

Looking at things from this stand point, now I know why Backus and Raiola so valuable to this team. Having them means we don't have to worry about LT and C, backups included. Granted they aren't the best, but they are reliable for the most part.

August 31st, 2010, 5:58 pm
RIP Killer

There's a noticeable difference between 1st and 2nd round LBs and late round LBs. Think of Cushing, Matthews, Ryans, Harris, Woodley, etc. Those Pro-Bowl LBs were all 1st or 2nd rounders. Sure, you can get depth in the later rounds, but I think you're more apt to hit on a later round CB than a later round LB.

September 1st, 2010, 9:42 am
RIP Killer

According to some draft websites, it is expected that the crop of linebackers should be above average to excellent in the 2011 draft, depending on what juniors declare and how healthy the seniors can stay. I think the Lions should consider taking the best linebacker they can get, whether he be outside or inside. Levy can move back to the outside if needed, particularly if the Lions can find a real thumper to play in the middle.

September 1st, 2010, 9:22 pm
RIP Killer

That is good news, I wasn't aware the crop was so promising. Is it just deep or super talented at top? That might tell them whether we can get a flier on a guy in the second and come out just as well.

September 1st, 2010, 9:34 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
That is good news, I wasn't aware the crop was so promising. Is it just deep or super talented at top? That might tell them whether we can get a flier on a guy in the second and come out just as well.

I wouldn't call them super talented, but there isn't such a huge divide when it comes to top tier talent and second tier talent. There seems to be the opinion that the first and second rounds might yield about six or seven players at linebacker....that's not counting college DEs that are taken as OLBs by teams running a 3-4. I am talking about pure 4-3 linebackers that can play either inside, outside or both.

I think Greg Jones will be a good pro, but will probably have to play outside in the pros. It wouldn't bother me to see the Lions land him, but only if they are picking in the late teens in the first round.

September 2nd, 2010, 2:18 pm
Team MVP

slybri19 wrote:
If the Lions do not select a CB in one of the first two rounds of the next draft, I will not be a happy camper. Just saying.

I agree 100%. We cannot leave those 2 rounds without a starting CB.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 2nd, 2010, 3:23 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
If the Lions do not select a CB in one of the first two rounds of the next draft, I will not be a happy camper. Just saying.

That is, if there is one available to them worth the value when the pick. It is looking like the CB prospects aren't going to be all that great. I realize the Lions need starting corners (I've been saying that for YEARS), but I don't want them to reach for someone, overpay, and then have to eat that contract and keep a player who isn't worth it. That kind of stuff got them into the boat they are in today. If nothing else, they can trade down. Of course, we want that every year. Hopefully after this season they won't be picking in the top ten, and will have a genuine shot at being able to trade down and gain value with their picks.

September 2nd, 2010, 6:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

That is, if there is one available to them worth the value when the pick. It is looking like the CB prospects aren't going to be all that great. I realize the Lions need starting corners (I've been saying that for YEARS), but I don't want them to reach for someone, overpay, and then have to eat that contract and keep a player who isn't worth it. That kind of stuff got them into the boat they are in today. If nothing else, they can trade down. Of course, we want that every year. Hopefully after this season they won't be picking in the top ten, and will have a genuine shot at being able to trade down and gain value with their picks.

From what I have read, the top 4 CB's are all very close to each other in talent. Peterson heads the list and is followed closely by Prince Amukamara, Aaron Williams, and Brandon Harris.

With only a slight drop-off there is Ras-I Dowling who is actually considered the 2nd best CB by some.

a few other 2nd round CB's:
Curtis Brown
Rashad Carmichael
Brandon Hogan

That's 8 CB's expected in the the first 2 rounds. I'd say that is pretty deep.
So I don't know where you get this from:
Quote:
It is looking like the CB prospects aren't going to be all that great.

September 3rd, 2010, 11:46 am
RIP Killer

What I've been reading is that the top cover corners lack ideal speed, some posting 40 times in the 4.5 and above range. But they have fluid hips and great instincts.

Some of the other better corners do have that great speed (4.45 or lower) but don't have the hips to turn and burn with the receivers. They also might be suspect with their burst or instincts when the ball is in the air.

Something that was mentioned regarding the Lions corners the other night is that they are having a hard time getting their heads turned when the ball is in the air. Apparently they lose speed when they turn to locate the ball? I don't know what the problem is. I know when I was playing CB in HS, I was taught to watch the receivers eyes when running with them, and they'd let you know if the ball was in the air and if it was coming to them. It worked very well. I'd like to know why the Lions receivers aren't able to get that down.

September 4th, 2010, 10:32 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

In a perfect world I would love to get this guy in 2012 draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJCYhOdazE

October 9th, 2010, 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2