View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 ponderings... 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post ponderings...
In our league we have a rule that states "any player drafted after the fifth round of one year (or free agent) may be kept in exchange for an 8th round selection the following year." This year I am fortunate enough to be keeping either J. Jones or W. McGahee.

Now, I figure I need to take advantage of the fact I already have a first round RB in my back pocket. Normally I'd go RB RB in the first two rounds, but this year I'm looking at picking up an uber-stud WR or QB with one of my selections in the first two rounds.

So, who are your top 5 non-RB's? I think my list will be as follows:

1. P. Manning
2. McNabb
3. T. Owens
4. R. Moss
5. Culpepper

Culpepper will be ranked as the #2 QB this year in many publications, but in the first couple games without Moss last year, he seemed rather mediocre. Maybe my memory doesn't serve me right, but I'm thinking without Moss or O. Smith, defenses will key on Culpepper this year. So that's why I put him at #5.

Basically I'm trying to figure out which non-RB's would be worth taking above guys like Dillon, J. Lewis, McCallister, or A. Green (basically the guys that should be there toward the latter half of the first round/early second).

12 team re-draft league, one keeper, standard scoring.

Guys who probably be kept:

Ricky Williams
Roy Williams
K. Collins
J. Plummer
W. Dunn
S. Jackson
C. Palmer
B. Stokley
J. Walker
Larry Johnson

July 26th, 2005, 4:54 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

There is a question of supply and demand, which makes it difficult to answer your question in regards to not knowing the size of your league. The difference between 10 and 16 would change the answer.

Basically winning consists of getting more higher ranked guys that the next guy and ranking correctly. Invoking that logic there is an abundance of 3 star QBs. With questions swirling around Culpepper and McNabb, I would only pick Manning, because in the fifth round you figure that either Favre, Brady, or Green will be available, at least in 12< leagues. Any of those guys will put up similar numbers to the above two with less downside. Depending on where you are picking I would look for a 5 star RB in the first or a 4 star RB in the second round. Then in the third you would look WR and TE where there is a drop off after the big 2.

Not quite what you asked, but my read on your situation.

July 26th, 2005, 5:31 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

There is a question of supply and demand, which makes it difficult to answer your question in regards to not knowing the size of your league.

TK wrote:
12 team re-draft league, one keeper, standard scoring.

We start 2 RB, 1 QB, 3 WR/TE.

So I figure, with a stud RB in my back pocket, I would benefit most from getting another stud RB in the first, then targeting one of those 5 guys in the second. If they're all gone (and they won't be), then I'd just go RB again (make the value pick).

July 27th, 2005, 8:09 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Well, if I were you I would definately try to draft Peyton Manning with your round 1 pick... If not draft a wideout in the 1st round. Better yet draft a guy like Ladanian Tomlinson and have two 1st round RB's!

Having a round 1 RB with your 8th round pick is very ideal, theres no way your team will be bad....

Michael Huff for DROY

July 27th, 2005, 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Welp, we had our draft. Lemme know what you think of my squad:

QB:

P. Manning (1.02)
J. Delhomme (5.02)

RB:

W. McGahee (8.11 - Keeper)
C. Martin (3.02)
S. Davis (6.11)
C. Taylor (10.11)
N. Davenport (13.02)

WR:

T. Owens (2.11)
S. Smith (4.11)
E. Moulds (7.02)
M. Jenkins (9.02)
T. Calico (11.02)
M. Jones (14.11)
S. Parker (15.02)

D:

Panthers (12.11)

K:

M. Nugent (16.11)

Overall, I think my team's pretty solid. I passed up Alexander to land Manning, and was delighted to be able to land TO with my #2. I was gripping with that pick, though, because I really wanted CMart in that slot, but I just couldn't pass up having possibly the #1 WR out there. Then the guy in the 1st position drafted Westbrook and Jordan, leaving me CMart! The fantasy gods smiled upon me.

September 6th, 2005, 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]