View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Week 2 Match-ups 
QB Coach

Post Re: Week 2 Match-ups
What really concerns me is how Michigan will match up against the high powered defenses, and the running games of the Big 10/12 schools. A 3-3-5 will pose some difficulty, and I hope the we can score on demand as needed.

The 2nd half of Mich/ND showed me a lot of concern because we weren't productive at all.

I too was sick of the ND leaning announcers who showed the rainbow, and the light shining on the field as if it was destined to be an ND victory. I can say I was nauseous, because the fans are so over powering with "luck of the Irish" nonsense.

Although the Michigan D did slow down the ND running game, was that because ND had a young O line?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 13th, 2010, 12:01 pm
RIP Killer

Easy to put 8 in the box in defend the run when your playing against 1 good pass catcher (Rudolph) and a couple backup QBs.

I wouldn't take much away from this victory. ND stinks and was far overrated.

September 13th, 2010, 12:12 pm
BillySims wrote:
I have finally gotten to see a game since RichRod took over. I don't know what that was. But, it wasn't MICHIGAN FOOTBALL.

Robinson is one heck of an athlete. But, do you really want your QB to be your top RB also? The defense was better than I expected.

My biggest problem with RichRod though is the circus that follows him around and the NCAA investigations that have followed him to Michigan from WV.

Billy - RR was brought in SPECIFICALLY to CHANGE "Michigan Football." If you don't like it then you don't like the premise behind the hire. Michigan Football was antiquated, boring, and their offense was so far behind the times that they came into every game with a huge disadvantage. You obviously quickly forgot how people were clamoring for Lloyd Carr's head because he was too conservative, allowed other teams to keep it close, and often lost games in the 4th Q because he failed to put teams away. RR was brought in to change that, and he has. I'd like to see what he can do with a team full of his talents before I call him a failure.

September 13th, 2010, 1:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I have finally gotten to see a game since RichRod took over. I don't know what that was. But, it wasn't MICHIGAN FOOTBALL.

Robinson is one heck of an athlete. But, do you really want your QB to be your top RB also? The defense was better than I expected.

My biggest problem with RichRod though is the circus that follows him around and the NCAA investigations that have followed him to Michigan from WV.

Billy - RR was brought in SPECIFICALLY to CHANGE "Michigan Football." If you don't like it then you don't like the premise behind the hire. Michigan Football was antiquated, boring, and their offense was so far behind the times that they came into every game with a huge disadvantage. You obviously quickly forgot how people were clamoring for Lloyd Carr's head because he was too conservative, allowed other teams to keep it close, and often lost games in the 4th Q because he failed to put teams away. RR was brought in to change that, and he has. I'd like to see what he can do with a team full of his talents before I call him a failure.

I was one of those calling for Carr to be fired. I practically lead the charge. Carr was a great coach in all aspects except the fact that he would never go for the jugular. He would get a lead and then sit on it and play prevent defense. Which we, as Lions fans, know all to well as the "prevent you from winning defense". That was the conservative coaching that I hated. The game plans that he had were just fine in the style of offense we ran, if he would have gone for the kill shot when it was available.

That was the only change that Michigan Football needed. I will guarantee you this. As long as RR is running the show, we will not see anymore Michigan QB's drafted high. Because MOST NFL teams don't want a Michael Vick type QB. RR puts all his eggs in the basket of 1 player. We are so screwed if the one player is bottled up or worse yet, injured. That is stupid. But, then again, I have never heard anyone accuse RR of being smart.

September 13th, 2010, 1:40 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I was one of those calling for Carr to be fired. I practically lead the charge. Carr was a great coach in all aspects except the fact that he would never go for the jugular. He would get a lead and then sit on it and play prevent defense. Which we, as Lions fans, know all to well as the "prevent you from winning defense". That was the conservative coaching that I hated. The game plans that he had were just fine in the style of offense we ran, if he would have gone for the kill shot when it was available.

That was the only change that Michigan Football needed. I will guarantee you this. As long as RR is running the show, we will not see anymore Michigan QB's drafted high. Because MOST NFL teams don't want a Michael Dawg Killa type QB. RR puts all his eggs in the basket of 1 player. We are so screwed if the one player is bottled up or worse yet, injured. That is stupid. But, then again, I have never heard anyone accuse RR of being smart.

What U of M qb was drated high? Brady? Nope... Henne? Nope

U of M Qb's aren't traditionally drafted high. You can argue that U of M Qb's will no longer have success in the NFL, but WHO CARES!!! The same is true about OSU Qb's. I would rather be able to compete with OSU's offense than worry about what a Qb is going to do 4-6 years after he's drafted.

September 13th, 2010, 2:05 pm
RIP Killer

wjb makes good points...

September 13th, 2010, 2:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
wjb makes good points...

Yeah. And they are all on the top of his head. LOL.

September 13th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I guess you have to decide, do you want your favorite college team to resemble an NFL minor league team or do you just want them to win? Many aspects of the college game today is totally different then the pro level, its about space and speed and taking advantage of it. Look at all the spread formations and option football being played versus the pro set, coaches employ that offense to win games and secure their future, not to satisfy fans who want to look at players skill sets at the next level. Now being sucessful with what you choose to run is altogether a different topic for discussion. And, if I were a betting man I would say DRob if he stays healthy and somewhat stays at this level of play he will be drafted higher than Henne. Not necessarily as a QB, but a player with football skill with that speed some team will fall in love with him.

September 13th, 2010, 2:51 pm
QB Coach

Easy to put 8 in the box in defend the run when your playing against 1 good pass catcher (Rudolph) and a couple backup QBs.

You definitely under estimated ND, and I can't believe I'm saying this, because it pains me so......

ND has an outstanding RB, and WR set in Floyd, and Rudolph.

I have to say in watching the game, and living in the shadow of the Urine colored dome, I like ND's coach better.

When the back ups got in trouble, he got mad, but then immeadiately went into teaching mode. I remember reading his lips after a Montana interception: "What did I tell you."

I see him with better character, and teaching presence than RR, but I'm way far away from Ann Arbor so I don't get to see details. I think this rivalry has changed form, but will be long standing with a new spread style offense on both sides. Next year will be REAL interesting!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 13th, 2010, 3:07 pm
BillySims wrote:
steensn wrote:
wjb makes good points...

Yeah. And they are all on the top of his head. LOL.

You invent points that don't exist - like U of M's Qbs are currently drafted high...

:nerd:

September 13th, 2010, 3:11 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
What U of M qb was drated high? Brady? Nope... Henne? Nope

U of M Qb's aren't traditionally drafted high. You can argue that U of M Qb's will no longer have success in the NFL, but WHO CARES!!! The same is true about OSU Qb's. I would rather be able to compete with OSU's offense than worry about what a Qb is going to do 4-6 years after he's drafted.

Gotta agree here. Go back through the years:

Henne: 57th pick (2nd round)
Navarre: 7th round
Henson: 6th round
Brady: 6th round
Griese: 3rd round
Grbac: 8th round
and so on. Michigan simply does not have a history of highly drafted QBs. Not sure where you got that from Billy.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 14th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Don't purposely misinterpret his point guys.

I'm completely against his argument and have pretty much been the lone supporter of Rich Rod on this forum for a while, but I think its reasonable to assume that he meant highly regarded NFL QBs, not necessarily highly drafted ones, even though that's what he's typed.

And its true, Michigan QBs have had decent success in the NFL, and more than likely that trend will end with Rich Rod's system. But who cares? The NFL is not college football.

If the Lions were made up of 100% former OSU players, I would still be a Lions fan. Different teams. Different leagues. Different levels of play.

Further, the fact that many of Rich Rod's offensive players will be ill-suited for the NFL is good for Michigan--less chance of players leaving early for the draft.

September 14th, 2010, 5:25 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'll concur that Blueskies has "pretty much been the lone supporter of Rich Rod on this forum for a while". I still hate the guy though and can only hope that he's gone after this season. His undoing will probably be using the 3-3-5 in the Big Ten, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

September 14th, 2010, 6:04 pm
Blueskies wrote:

I'm completely against his argument and have pretty much been the lone supporter of Rich Rod on this forum for a while, but I think its reasonable to assume that he meant highly regarded NFL QBs, not necessarily highly drafted ones, even though that's what he's typed.

And its true, Michigan QBs have had decent success in the NFL, and more than likely that trend will end with Rich Rod's system. But who cares? The NFL is not college football.

If the Lions were made up of 100% former OSU players, I would still be a Lions fan. Different teams. Different leagues. Different levels of play.

Further, the fact that many of Rich Rod's offensive players will be ill-suited for the NFL is good for Michigan--less chance of players leaving early for the draft.

I already stated the bolded part of your post, but I agree with you completely.

September 14th, 2010, 6:08 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Blueskies wrote:

Or less likely that the really good players will come to Michigan because the system isn't conducive to getting drafted into the NFL.

edited to add:
And yes, highly drafted QB's was a poor choice of words on my part.

Last edited by BillySims on September 14th, 2010, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2010, 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next