View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 GAME DAY THREAD: Cardinals 
QB Coach

Post GAME DAY THREAD: Cardinals
Sorry this is a little early, but i'm just so excited for this game. I don't know if I am going to be able to sleep tonight. If we win, we have a chance at the playoffs, and this season isn't a wash. If we win, we aren't going to be talking about the draft next week. If we win, Harrington will be praised for his performance, and the Lions won't have a QB controversy (who am I kidding).

Still, this is a winnable game, we should win at home, and it could be the most important game of our season thus far.

December 4th, 2004, 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm looking forward to KJ busting out big time. He is on a role averaging 5.6 yards/carry his last 3 games with 280 rushing yards (he had 227 the first eight) and he faces the 27th ranked run defense. In addition, with a QB still looking to throw his first NFL pass and and a undrafted rookie RB the Lions should be able to keep the Cards off the field. If the Lions can build a decent lead, expect to see a lot of Jones.

MOOCH QUOTES: "That was our aim ? to make the playoffs ? and we're still headed toward that," Mariucci said. "As crazy as it is right now, we're not that far out of it. It's just because of the records in the NFC. We can work our way right back in it. We're only a game away right now, out of the wild card."

"First and foremost, we're trying to win games right now," Mariucci said. "Who gives us the best chance to win a game right now? So the last five games are the most important thing ? this Arizona game and the last five, obviously."

"We will have to determine what we're going to do for next year and going forward. Of course, we have to determine that. You've got one guy that's a free agent, you've got one guy that's been here for three years."

MATCHUPS TO WATCH:

Lions DE James Hall vs. Cardinals RT L.J. Shelton ? Hall is having a career year rushing the passer with 8.5 QB sacks in the first 11 games, and he'll have his sights set on Cardinals rookie QB John Navarre, making his first NFL start. If Hall can beat Shelton, he could do some real damage to the Arizona passing game.

Lions CB Dre' Bly vs. Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald ? Despite the Cardinals' QB problems, Fitzgerald is having a solid rookie season with 41 receptions for 578 yards and four touchdowns. Bly has struggled after spraining his knee in the season opener and is not playing with the same confidence he exuded in his Pro Bowl season a year ago.

Lions RB Kevin Jones vs. Cardinals WLB James Darling ? Jones is averaging 5.6 yards per carry in the last three games and is likely to get plenty of work against the Arizona run defense, which ranks 27th in the NFL. Darling is the Cardinals' leading tackler.

SERIES HISTORY: 56th regular-season game between the Lions and Cardinals, in a series dating to 1930. The Lions lead the series 29-21-5. The Lions' victory against Arizona in the season opener last year was their first after five consecutive losses to the Cardinals.

:idea: Image :idea:

December 5th, 2004, 3:19 am
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

I seriously don't care anymore, KJ busts for a 80+ yard run and Joey throws an interception. I'm done supporting him at this point, although we have no alternative we need to start shopping right now for next season.

edit: ok, i'm calm now, although that was a huge mistake.

December 5th, 2004, 3:23 pm
RIP Killer

That was a terrible play call. KJ is having another big day and still not seeing the number of carries he should. Mooch, you said KJ would get 25 carries - lets see it.

Harrington is inaccurate again today. He is also getting a lot pressure, the oline needs to step up at some point these last five games.

The play calling is making me crazy though...

December 5th, 2004, 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Post Victory
It was like watching Sylvester Stalone and Pele defeat the Germans...victoire, victoire, vitoire!

December 5th, 2004, 5:48 pm
QB Coach

As for Joey "Ballgame"...at least he wasn't the worst QB on the field Sunday. His QB rating was 75.5, but he wasn't doing anything playmaking wise, for the 4th week in a row.

I didn't like what I saw in Navarre at all. I thought he was going to be better. Maybe just first game jitters, but come to think of it, he was exactly this way at Michigan as well.

The entire Cardinals team pissed me off today, they played with no emotion after the first quarter, especially near the end of the game. Green has the look on his face of "What did I get myself into?"

December 5th, 2004, 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Finally a win. For the playoffs, the Rams won to move to 6-6, the Giants are losing right now to the Redskins (don't think this will hold up). If they lose the Lions could be tied for the final wild-card spot (with the tie breaker on the Giants).

Also, with the Bears win over the Vikes a loss by the Pack (they are losing to the Eagles right now) and the Lions are only 2 back in the division with games remaining against all three teams.

5-7 gets you a long way these days in the NFC.

KJ - nice game! :idea:

December 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
All State

critical win but i'm not getting my hopes up to high just yet. then again, looking at the standings for the wildcard...

vikes 7-5
rams 6-6
-------------
lions 5-7
giants 5-7
bears 5-7
panthers 5-7
bucs 5-7
cowboys 4-7 (play monday night)

i'm hoping the lions can break out from this pack but i'm thinking if its not the rams it could be one of the south teams (carolina or tampa).

December 6th, 2004, 12:42 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

First off, let me start with Navarre. Man I love this kid. No talent.....no hope....and he doesn't even play for the Lions!! Did you see him bouncing balls off of helmets at the line of scrimmage? Getting balls slapped down at the line of scrimmage? He was over-throwing guys ( and getting them picked ) he was throwing behind guys ( and getting them picked ) he was staring guys down the whole time ( and getting them picked.....by a defensive end ). It looked like he was still throwing for Big Blue!!! Same lost look on his face. Glad to see him do it for someone else, not just a Michigan team.

Next. I had a 34-10 prediction with KJ going for 130. Honestly I would have taken any score as long as they won, but KJ was a pleasant surprise. (Basking in the glow of the win, I'll wait til tomorrow to be critical of the team ).

I liked seeing Detroit come out and throw the ball deep to start the game. You have to at least throw it deep to get the respect from the secondary. I heard a quote be Dan Hawkins, the coach of Boise State. In it he stated that "We will throw the ball deep at least 15 times a game, even if it's not open. You have to let the other team know that you are going deep so they respect your passing game" I fully agree. Man, I wish he was coaching Big Blue. The point is that Detroit came out and loosened up the defense, which helps the running game.

There has been a Tai Streets sighting. He is actually alive and apparently well. I liked seeing them get him and the tight ends involved early.

December 6th, 2004, 9:10 am
QB Coach

Quote:
Man I love this kid. No talent.....no hope....and he doesn't even play for the Lions!!

Quote:
There has been a Tai Streets sighting. He is actually alive and apparently well. I liked seeing them get him and the tight ends involved early.

December 7th, 2004, 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]