View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Andrew Luck 
NFL Veteran

Post Andrew Luck
I know they lost this week. But I swear, after seeing Luck play three games this season. He feels like the best pro QB prospect since Peyton Manning. Anybody feels the same?

I speak this because I hate the fact that Bradford and Sanchez are doing well. And Freeman to an extent too. While I fear an injury riddled career with Stafford. Not saying I want to draft Luck because we already made our bed with Stafford. I know I didn't want to draft him, but he won me over in the Cleveland game. I just pray he gets a healthy long career.

Otherwise I will always have this what-if scenario swirling in my head, had we done the "Add QB as final piece" strategy. We might have been in a position to draft Luck.

October 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Andrew Luck
We may still be in position to draft Luck. Might end up with #1 the way this season has been going. Esp considering I assumed wed be ahead of the Chiefs and Browns...

It might not be a bad thing though if there is a new rookie wage scale in place, meaning that #1 picka nd a shot at Luck will actually be worth trading for for multiple teams that need a QB, and since it wont cost 90million, many teams may be willing. Might even get a bidding war.

October 4th, 2010, 11:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran General Manager

DJ-B wrote:
We may still be in position to draft Luck. Might end up with #1 the way this season has been going. Esp considering I assumed wed be ahead of the Chiefs and Browns...

It might not be a bad thing though if there is a new rookie wage scale in place, meaning that #1 picka nd a shot at Luck will actually be worth trading for for multiple teams that need a QB, and since it wont cost 90million, many teams may be willing. Might even get a bidding war.

You can't be awarded the #1 pick when you win 7 games. LOL.

October 5th, 2010, 12:37 am
Pro Bowl Player

Even if Stafford comes back and immediately goes on IR, you can't write him off. Too soon. If for nothing else, his contract.

The Lions won't be picking first, but if they theoretically were, and there was a Peyton Manning version 2.0 sitting there, you trade the pick to Cleveland or Buffalo and call it a day.

October 7th, 2010, 5:09 pm
RIP Killer

With no season next season stafford has a whole year to get healthy anyways.

October 7th, 2010, 5:13 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Even if Stafford comes back and immediately goes on IR, you can't write him off. Too soon. If for nothing else, his contract.

The Lions won't be picking first, but if they theoretically were, and there was a Peyton Manning version 2.0 sitting there, you trade the pick to Cleveland or Buffalo and call it a day.

You don't pass on Peyton Manning, you trade Stafford for what you can get and go win a Super Bowl!

October 7th, 2010, 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

You don't pass on Peyton Manning, you trade Stafford for what you can get and go win a Super Bowl!

So if we are pikcing #1 and Luck is there you take him? You cant trade Staff for anythign because of his cost. Nobody would pay. Youd have to cut him and eat all the losses, and we dont even know what the kid has got left.

You trade the pick in a giant bidding war, unless Staff comes back AND sucks the rest of the season. Then you KNOW hes not "it".

October 7th, 2010, 6:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran General Manager

steensn wrote:
With no season next season stafford has a whole year to get healthy anyways.

Plus we will have 2 draft classes to fix the Defense ( Linebackers and DB's) and the Offensive line.

October 8th, 2010, 2:13 pm
Team MVP

I know Stafford has been hurt, which sucks, but why are we giving up on him???

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 8th, 2010, 2:36 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:

Most of us haven't. Only a couple have given up on him. And they didn't want him from the very start. So, they are starting to beat the "BUST" drums without coming out and calling him a bust yet. They have been looking for the opportunity to demonize him. And so they are latching onto the injuries as their main focus right now.

And, they won't stop until they get what they want. They want to make him the next Joey. Some people just refuse to be happy with what we have, if it isn't who THEY wanted.

edited to add:

I am not calling out anyone in particular. I am also not saying that the author of this post is one of the "THEY" people. Because, I don't think he is.

October 8th, 2010, 3:32 pm
kdsberman wrote:

I don't think that anyone is giving up on him. It's just a hypothetical. I never understood why people take a hypothetical situation (Payton Manning available at the top of the draft and we have the #1 pick) and extrapolate craziness (that we're giving up on Stafford) out of it...

I haven't given up on him, at all. That said, I don't expect much from him, I think he was the wrong pick, and I think we're building the team the wrong way. People will say "you shouldn't be so down on him" as if my thoughts somehow play a role in his success or failure... I just sit back and watch - he hasn't shown much to me thus far...

October 8th, 2010, 3:40 pm
RIP Killer

I have no problem seeing how the season plays out... but if after two seasons he misses 50% of the games I think that we should e concerned if he can't finish the year if he has another injury.

October 8th, 2010, 4:28 pm
NFL Veteran

DJ-B wrote:

This is a great point. Assuming a CBA is worked out, a wage scale is a foregone conclusion. And Luck would be had for much cheaper than Stafford. And any could be used as a trade chip. Stafford's price is all in the signing bonus which the Lions have already fronted. And depending on how the CBA is structured, Stafford might be the cheaper more attractive option, from here going forward.

All that said, I still hope to use our first pick on defense. Hence, I hope for a healthy Stafford.

October 11th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Yes you take Manning, DUH!!!

IF there was a BARRY and you knew in advance that he would be all of that, wouldn't you take him even though we have Best. OF course you would pick him.

Stupid question if you ask me.

But.....

I also have concerns about Staffords health. Were these just unlucky landings or is he fragile. Hard to say, but IF he cannot stay healthy...he cannot stay on the field....therfore is of no use to us.

Frok

October 11th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Yes, you take Manning, but remember how there was debate about Manning and Leaf? The draft is such a crap shoot that you can't assume that Andrew Luck is going to be the next Peyton Manning or the next Joey Harrington. What if he ends up like Joey Ballgame? Would you want to get rid of Stafford, who has shown flashes, for Jeff George?

Mayhew knows how to bilk teams when trading, so it would totally surprise me if he does something crazy, but this might be even beyond crazy.

October 15th, 2010, 11:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next