View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Down goes BAMA!!! 
RIP Killer

Post Down goes BAMA!!!
If OSU can finish out they should leave #1

October 9th, 2010, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Down goes BAMA!!!
steensn wrote:
If OSU can finish out they should leave #1

and take on the undefeated Spartans in the BCS Championship game. Go Big Ten!

October 9th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

MSU certainly has a chance to go undefeated (only team I see having a chance at beating them is Iowa) but a lot would have to happen for them to go to the NC game, especially if OSU finished undefeated. Oregon, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Boise and TCU would heavily challenge them Oregon, Nebraska or Oklahoma would be in easily over MSU and Boise and TCU would have legit shots because of how high they entered the season ranked as opposed to MSU and the fact that the human aspect of the BCS won't want to see an all Big-10 NC game and would vote the other teams ahead of MSU.

In all honesty I could even see Oregon getting in over MSU with 1 loss.

Now if OSU was to lose a game on the other hand....

October 10th, 2010, 6:22 am
Div 1 - Starter

It's difficult to see right now, but it is possible to see Sparty in the title game right now which is kind of impressive. LSU, Auburn, Oregon, Nebraska, Oklahoma and a few others I probably forgot would all have to lose one I think, but it isn't out of the question.

October 10th, 2010, 9:55 am
RIP Killer

MSU has a pretty weak schedule outside of Iowa in a couple weeks. They could easily go into the tourny with 1 loss or even undefeated.

October 10th, 2010, 9:56 am
RIP Killer

Imagine Sparties and OSU in a NT game :)

October 10th, 2010, 3:10 pm
QB Coach

I don't know, i'm not sure if OSU could match the pace of Boise. It would be an excellent match up, and I think OSU against Bama would be a good show too.

OSU is sitting on the top by process of attrition, but I guess that's the way this thing goes anyway.

The top four spots should be a play off scenario just to get the real deal #1 instead of attrition.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 11th, 2010, 7:47 pm
RIP Killer

Boise couldn't score like they do against OSU. They haven't played a tough defense all year and won't.

October 12th, 2010, 9:08 am
QB Coach

Everyone said the same thing when they played Oklahoma a few years ago, and Oklahoma got stunned. They are a well coached team that have run a quick paced offense for some time, and their coaches know what they're doing. I think it would be a shoot out, unless OSU had size to wear down and abuse the OL of Boise.

It would be a good game to watch in my opinion.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 13th, 2010, 1:59 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not going to respect Boise until they can play a schedule worthy of a top ten team. Great, they had a huge upset, awesome. They are certainly a GOOD team, no questions asked, but there is no proof they are a great team with the schedule they play. They chose to be in the Mountain West, they don't deserve to be treated as a known good team. Who have they played all year? No currently ranked teams or ones likely to even be ranked. Sorry, but even if they are the best team in the nation they are doing a disservice to themselves for not jumping into a Pac-10 or Big 12. Maybe the Big 12 an go back to twelve by taking in TCU and Boise? But that is right Boise just moved... into a different subpar conference...

If you want to be treated like you are good, then prove it is all I have to say. OSU will have to prove it through their schedule. Alabama already proved they weren't. Every other top 10 team BUT TCU and Boise will have to prove it. Boise simply hasn't played a team with talent... they haven't played a top defense all year and won't. It would NOT be a shootout... no way.

October 13th, 2010, 2:15 pm
steensn wrote:
I'm not going to respect Boise until they can play a schedule worthy of a top ten team. Great, they had a huge upset, awesome. They are certainly a GOOD team, no questions asked, but there is no proof they are a great team with the schedule they play. They chose to be in the Mountain West, they don't deserve to be treated as a known good team. Who have they played all year? No currently ranked teams or ones likely to even be ranked. Sorry, but even if they are the best team in the nation they are doing a disservice to themselves for not jumping into a Pac-10 or Big 12. Maybe the Big 12 an go back to twelve by taking in TCU and Boise? But that is right Boise just moved... into a different subpar conference...

If you want to be treated like you are good, then prove it is all I have to say. OSU will have to prove it through their schedule. Alabama already proved they weren't. Every other top 10 team BUT TCU and Boise will have to prove it. Boise simply hasn't played a team with talent... they haven't played a top defense all year and won't. It would NOT be a shootout... no way.

Steen, I think it's funny you say that, because many of these same things could have been said about OSU prior to this year. OSU rarely plays a tough opponent outside of Columbus, and they seem to get blown out in bowl games left and right.

October 13th, 2010, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

Not at all, that is silly WJB. You're comparing UM to Hawaii or Fresno State? MSU to New Mexico State or San Jose State? We are talking about two different levels of scheduled here. OSU has scheduled USC the two years prior to this, Texas the to prior to that... they have scheduled Miami this year and next (they scheduled that when they were better), California the two years after that, then VT, then Oklahoma, then Tennessee. That is not exactly picking easy wins for your second game.

I just cannot imagine anyone comparing Iowa, UM, Wisconsin, and PSU to ANY team in on Boise's schedule. I'm not even going to mention the "blown out" BS as you are focusing on one game against Florida and not the multiple of wins and close loses. Yes, someone COULD say those things, but they would be DEAD wrong. If 5-3 record since 2003 is considered blowouts right and left, then maybe we need to change the definition of the term...

Let's not be silly guys, Boise State has proven they can consistently beat up on weak opponents and when thrown into a bigger game squeak out a win. They a 3-4 in bowl games since 2003 loosing to teams like Louisville, Boston College, East Carolina, TCU and wins against Oklahoma and TCU. Who did they beat last year? Oregon in week one and TCU (again questionable) in a bowl game. What about 2008, Oregon again. 2007, no one good. Compared to the Buckeyes who beat in 2009: Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Oregon all ranked in the top 16, 2 in the top 10.

It's a dumb statement... not even close to reality.

October 13th, 2010, 4:34 pm
steensn wrote:
Not at all, that is silly WJB. You're comparing UM to Hawaii or Fresno State? MSU to New Mexico State or San Jose State? We are talking about two different levels of scheduled here. OSU has scheduled USC the two years prior to this, Texas the to prior to that... they have scheduled Miami this year and next (they scheduled that when they were better), California the two years after that, then VT, then Oklahoma, then Tennessee. That is not exactly picking easy wins for your second game.

I just cannot imagine anyone comparing Iowa, UM, Wisconsin, and PSU to ANY team in on Boise's schedule. I'm not even going to mention the "blown out" BS as you are focusing on one game against Florida and not the multiple of wins and close loses. Yes, someone COULD say those things, but they would be DEAD wrong. If 5-3 record since 2003 is considered blowouts right and left, then maybe we need to change the definition of the term...

Let's not be silly guys, Boise State has proven they can consistently beat up on weak opponents and when thrown into a bigger game squeak out a win. They a 3-4 in bowl games since 2003 loosing to teams like Louisville, Boston College, East Carolina, TCU and wins against Oklahoma and TCU. Who did they beat last year? Oregon in week one and TCU (again questionable) in a bowl game. What about 2008, Oregon again. 2007, no one good. Compared to the Buckeyes who beat in 2009: Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Oregon all ranked in the top 16, 2 in the top 10.

It's a dumb statement... not even close to reality.

HAHAHA... What about the out of conference schedule? The school has little control over their inconference schedule, so I won't fault Bosie for that, but OSU plays a cupcake @ home schedule for all of their non-conference games. OSU has received complaints about it for years!

Nice way to cherry pick your numbers. How about 1-4 over the last 5 years? How about getting BLOWN OUT twice in the ONLY two National Championship games that they've played since Tressel got there? How about going back to Tressel's arrival and going 5-5? If you go back further, to when I started watching college football (1990ish) OSU is 8-20 in bowl games.

5-3 is a good record, but 1-4 is terrible over the last 5 years, and 5-5 isn't all that great. Losing in HORRIBLE fashion in two National Championships is what ultimately tarnished their rep. though, IMO.

October 13th, 2010, 4:59 pm
RIP Killer

I fixed everything in bold for you...

wjb21ndtown wrote:
HAHAHA... What about the out of conference schedule? The school has little control over their inconference schedule, so I won't fault Bosie for that, but OSU plays a cupcake @ home schedule for some of their non-conference games. OSU has received complaints about it for years, mistakenly as they have scheduled top teams for their second game as you pointed out in the post above

BS, they do what EVERY other school does. They schedule a BIG team the second week and cupcakes the rest. OSU is no more to blame for that than ANY other school... accept the cupcake teams that schedule their annual beatdown for money. OSU doesn't get any more flack for that than any other big school that has a REAL conference schedule. I DO blame Boise for their schedule because they had a chance to move and DIDN'T move to a harder one. Do I know they had an option to? Not at all... but with the PAC-10 publicly wanting to go to 16 teams they could have absolutely got in this year INSTEAD of choosing the Mountain West division. THEY get blamed because THEY chose the MW. They can control it... by getting in another conference.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Nice way to cherry pick your numbers though the ones I'm about to post are wrong. How about 2-4 over the last 5 years? How about getting BLOWN OUT twice in the ONLY two back-to-back National Championship games that they've played since Tressel got there, winning one against Miami in 2003? How about going back to Tressel's arrival and going 5-5? If you go back further, to when I started watching college football (1990ish) OSU is 8-11 in bowl games.

5-5 in bowl games with 3 national championship appearances? Still sounds great to me! I didn't cherry pick I just picked 2003 because that made sense. OSU has been in BIG bowl games and to go 5-5 against the top teams in a pretty dang good thing. Let's see how the other top schools compare over the last 10 years:

USC: 7-2 w/ 1 NT win (removed due to issues) (9)
Oklahoma: 5-5 w/ 1 NT loss (10)
Texas 7-3 w/ 1 NT game loss (10)
tOSU: 5-5 w/ 1 NT win 2 NT loses (10)
Florida: 5-5 w/ 2 NT game wins (10)
LSU: 7-3 w/ 2 NT win (10)
Alabama: 4-3 w/ 1 NT win (7)
Michigan: 3-5 (8 appearances)
Boise: 5-4 (9)
Miami: 5-4 w/ 1 NT loss (9)
Florida State: 5-5 (10)

5-5 is not great, but it is what happens when you play THAT level. 3 NT appearances against some of the best teams of the decade. That is why they are not #1 in these rankings but rather #2-#5 in almost everyones list.You start ranking best programs of the past decade and here is what you get (ESPN is prolly the most authoritative):

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=4845013
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2947988

All time?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

wjb21ndtown wrote:
5-3 is a good record, but 2-3 is terrible over the last 5 years, and 5-5 isn't all that great. Losing in HORRIBLE fashion in two National Championships is what ultimately tarnished their rep. though, IMO.

I'm sorry, but this is utter trash to hang it on win loses and not put it in proper context. You're talking 2 NT appearances in that timeframe and
a SUPER close game with Texas. We were busy playing Florida, LSU, Texas, Oregon... how is that for playing top notch teams. Does it look good to lose in two NT games like that, no... BUT WE MADE IT TO THREE IN ONE DECADE!

Sorry WJB, but this notion that OSU is not one of the best football programs is stupid and fed by twisting of the facts. You blindly take it to mean they haven't proven anything when in reality they have proven they are top not, just not #1. That is the consensus from the college football experts and most everyone... you can have your opinion... but it surely doesn't fit reality.

October 13th, 2010, 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]