View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe. 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Lions 1st round pick from the 2011 draft? Maybe.
kdsberman, I pretty much agree with you, but you may want to add LB to that list too. Because of his salary, I doubt Julian Peterson will return after this season. Regardless, defense early and often in the 2011 draft.

July 6th, 2010, 9:11 am
NFL Team Captain

My vote is Patrick Peterson. The guy is a stud and he should just get better and better as he goes on.

I will say that I'm a little torn, however. Patrick Peterson should be gone in the top 5 and I really do not want to be picking in the top 5 again. [-X

July 11th, 2010, 1:52 pm
Team MVP

TNLionsFanatic wrote:
My vote is Patrick Peterson. The guy is a stud and he should just get better and better as he goes on.

I will say that I'm a little torn, however. Patrick Peterson should be gone in the top 5 and I really do not want to be picking in the top 5 again. [-X

I know man, i was thinking the same thing. All we've done this offseason only to pick top 5 again, it just wouldnt feel right.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 11th, 2010, 2:24 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
TNLionsFanatic wrote:

I know man, i was thinking the same thing. All we've done this offseason only to pick top 5 again, it just wouldnt feel right.

I am hoping for #11(ish) overall

As weak as the 2011 draft is bound to be, UNLESS, a bunch of juniors declare, I am not opposed to trading up high enough to get Peterson. Even if it requires a package like our 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounders.

But, then again, there are a couple more CB's that will be in the draft that are nearly every bit as good as Peterson.

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
and
Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

Also,

Ras-I-Dowling, CB, Virginia
and
Brandon Harris*, CB, Miami

Are no slouches.

CB is a position of strength in next years otherwise weak draft.

July 12th, 2010, 3:50 pm
RIP Killer

Watched the LSU Florida game tonight on my TiVo watching Peterson closely - gotta say I wasn't impressed. Not very physical at the line of scrimmage (plays way off most of the time). Can't shed WR blocks. Took some bad angles on his tackles and whiffed after getting juked easy. Doesn't look for contact when the play comes his way.

That said, given the nature of this game and some of the camera angles I had a hard time judging his true cover skills, but still he just didn't do anything for me in this one. I'll TiVo some more LSU games in the future hoping to see what looks like a future shut down corner in the NFL.

October 11th, 2010, 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Watched the LSU Florida game tonight on my TiVo watching Peterson closely - gotta say I wasn't impressed. Not very physical at the line of scrimmage (plays way off most of the time). Can't shed WR blocks. Took some bad angles on his tackles and whiffed after getting juked easy. Doesn't look for contact when the play comes his way.

That said, given the nature of this game and some of the camera angles I had a hard time judging his true cover skills, but still he just didn't do anything for me in this one. I'll TiVo some more LSU games in the future hoping to see what looks like a future shut down corner in the NFL.

I think Peterson has gotten accolades as a player because of his return skills, not necessarily because of his cover skills. I mentioned in a different post that I didn't think Peterson was that impressive as a cover corner and people said I was wrong. I'm glad someone else has decided to take a closer look and sees the same thing I do.

October 12th, 2010, 6:45 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I think Peterson has gotten accolades as a player because of his return skills, not necessarily because of his cover skills. I mentioned in a different post that I didn't think Peterson was that impressive as a cover corner and people said I was wrong. I'm glad someone else has decided to take a closer look and sees the same thing I do.

Did you see the game vs florida? He cut the field in half for FLA's passing game. Imagine a 6'2 220lb CB jamming your WRs. He was getting accolades before the season as well, he just happens to be a very good return man. He has 2 INTS so far this season. He is as good as advertised and will go in the top 10 in next years draft.

I don't know what you were expecting to see from the guy. He's the best player on one of the nations best defenses.

October 13th, 2010, 2:11 am

Just read that he's maternal cousins with Bryant McFadden, Sinorice Moss, and Santana Moss not that it matters. Still cool though

October 13th, 2010, 2:15 am
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Did you see the game vs florida? He cut the field in half for FLA's passing game. Imagine a 6'2 220lb CB jamming your WRs. He was getting accolades before the season as well, he just happens to be a very good return man. He has 2 INTS so far this season. He is as good as advertised and will go in the top 10 in next years draft.

I don't know what you were expecting to see from the guy. He's the best player on one of the nations best defenses.

I did see the game, thus the feedback. As I stated, it was hard to judge his cover skills, in part the game plan seemed to go away from him. It that true talent or reputation, I need to see a few more games first.

Did you watch the game? Did you see him jamming up WRs at the LOS? Did you see him getting off of WR blocks? Did you see him being a factor in run defense or showing any sort of nose for the ball? I certainly didn't and was disappointed because I would have thought he was more aggressive and physical.

I also saw him get easily run off on a short curl route. I also saw him in a 1:1 situation totally whiff at the ball carrier. I'm sure if you watched the game, you also saw these things.

I'm not saying he isn't a top ten pick or even the best corner in college football, I just gave my impressions from watching him very closely in one game.

October 13th, 2010, 9:39 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:

Actually no I didn't get to see that game and didn't record it. However, I did see a couple LSU games this season, and what Pablo has said is pretty much spot on. I've seen him get caught looking into the backfield while the receiver ran right past him. Luckily for him the ball was overthrown on one play, and on another play the QB was run out of the pocket before he could throw the ball downfield. I'm not saying Peterson doesn't have the talent to be a solid or elite NFL cover corner. The tools are there. But it will depend on just how well Peterson can be coached up in the NFL. It's why teams find the interview process so much more important than the workouts......unless you're Al Davis. I guess, based on his reputation, I expected him to be better.

October 13th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Pablo wrote:

Oh, I guess I misunderstood you because you described it as if you you've seen his whole body of work. "Not very physical at the line of scrimmage (plays way off most of the time). Can't shed WR blocks" & "Doesn't look for contact when the play comes his way" sounds more like a scouting report than observations of just one game.

October 14th, 2010, 3:21 am
RIP Killer

focused on the Nebraska - Texas game this week (just finished watching it on TiVo) and was impressed with both Prince Amukamara (Neb) and Aaron Williams (Texas). Prince did have a pass int call on him but looks very solid in man coverage with fluid movements and looks back to track the ball. He didn't shy away from coming up to help in the run game (missed on bad tackle). Like the fact that he plays close to the line, can redirect his man, and stay on him. Could the Lions take another player from Nebraska with a tough name? BTW - really like Nebraska's other corner as well (Dennard).

Williams looked even more aggressive than Prince but didn't move quite as well. Harder to judge his coverage skills as UT was sometimes in zone. His aggressiveness makes him vulnerable in the passing game as he bites on fakes from what I saw.

Need to see these guys a few more times. Both are listed at 6'1", I'll be curious to see how tall Prince is cause he didn't look that tall on the field but I'm not sure how tall the guy he was covering was.

Lions need one more corner to match with Houston and Smith (Wade was garbage again today).

October 18th, 2010, 12:21 am
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:
focused on the Nebraska - Texas game this week (just finished watching it on TiVo) and was impressed with both Prince Amukamara (Neb) and Aaron Williams (Texas). Prince did have a pass int call on him but looks very solid in man coverage with fluid movements and looks back to track the ball. He didn't shy away from coming up to help in the run game (missed on bad tackle). Like the fact that he plays close to the line, can redirect his man, and stay on him. Could the Lions take another player from Nebraska with a tough name? BTW - really like Nebraska's other corner as well (Dennard).

Williams looked even more aggressive than Prince but didn't move quite as well. Harder to judge his coverage skills as UT was sometimes in zone. His aggressiveness makes him vulnerable in the passing game as he bites on fakes from what I saw.

Need to see these guys a few more times. Both are listed at 6'1", I'll be curious to see how tall Prince is cause he didn't look that tall on the field but I'm not sure how tall the guy he was covering was.

Lions need one more corner to match with Houston and Smith (Wade was garbage again today).

Can't have enough good dbacks. Look at the Jets--they traded for Cro and drafted Wilson even with Revis.

October 21st, 2010, 10:56 am
RIP Killer

it helps when Revis is planning to hold out...kind of need another one. Plus AC is in a contract year and possibly won't be back next year. They could have been left with no top CBs on their roster next year - they kind of needed to draft/trade/sign another one.

October 21st, 2010, 11:32 am

conversion02 wrote:
it helps when Revis is planning to hold out...kind of need another one. Plus AC is in a contract year and possibly won't be back next year. They could have been left with no top CBs on their roster next year - they kind of needed to draft/trade/sign another one.

Agreed about AC, but I think they were pretty sure Revis would be back. I know they acted otherwise, but I think that was just maneuvering.

October 21st, 2010, 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next