View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 This is why MSU is NOT going to be a big player in the NCAA. 
RIP Killer

Post This is why MSU is NOT going to be a big player in the NCAA.
Watching the NW game... the stadium has OPEN SEATING!!! #7 in the nation and NW does fill the stand and neither does Sparty. Pathetic.... OSU can fill a 100,000 seat stadium on their own on the other side of country and Sparty can't get a few thousand there to fill some seats..

October 23rd, 2010, 1:22 pm
Heisman Winner

Post Re: This is why MSU is NOT going to be a big player in the N
steensn wrote:
Watching the NW game... the stadium has OPEN SEATING!!! #7 in the nation and NW does fill the stand and neither does Sparty. Pathetic.... OSU can fill a 100,000 seat stadium on their own on the other side of country and Sparty can't get a few thousand there to fill some seats..

Who said anything about being a big player? I'm happy they are making a run at a Big Ten title. Do it a few times before you can even consider making the jump to being a big player.

October 23rd, 2010, 6:12 pm
RIP Killer

always gotta try something to rip you on, even when you are undefeated.

October 23rd, 2010, 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Just an observation that astonished me. I don't know a single team that gets in the top ten that has ANY game where seats are empty. I was shocked...

October 23rd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Heisman Winner

steensn wrote:
Just an observation that astonished me. I don't know a single team that gets in the top ten that has ANY game where seats are empty. I was shocked...

I don't think they can control the NW fans all that much, at least not yet. Like I said that will change if they continue to put together years of football like this.

October 24th, 2010, 4:01 pm
RIP Killer

That is the difference betwen big programs and small though... NW fans shouldn't fill the seats, MSU should. If that had been Texas, OSU, USC, etc... the stadium would have been packed regardless of NW fans. I mean, your #7 for that week... it;s worth the trip!

October 24th, 2010, 4:18 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Except that Michigan has one of the highest unemployment rates for the country. My unemployment check wouldn't cover a trip half way across the country. I don't think anyone would argue that MSU fans are in worse financial shape than OSU fans.

October 24th, 2010, 7:26 pm
I will be at the U of M v PSU game... MSU doesn't seem to travel well for some reason.

IMO what is even more embarrassing is that MSU couldn't sell out Ford Field!!! That, IMO, is utterly RIDICULOUS.

October 24th, 2010, 7:43 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I will be at the U of M v PSU game... MSU doesn't seem to travel well for some reason.

IMO what is even more embarrassing is that MSU couldn't sell out Ford Field!!! That, IMO, is utterly RIDICULOUS.

Let's not forget that State doesn't have the same football tradition as these other schools. They are also supported primarily by Alumni, unlike these other schools again where the majority of fans didn't attend the school. Finally, MSU is a basketball school - lets not forget that as well, and set an NCAA record for fans at a basketball school at said Ford Field. Guess the Spartan fan base isn't too pathetic or ridiculous when you put things into perspective...

GO STATE!

#1 Big Ten
#5 BCS

Go Green, Go White!

October 24th, 2010, 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Local BBall game doesn't tell the whole story. The big difference between elite programs and non is the traveling fans, of which MSU seems to have none.

October 25th, 2010, 10:08 am
Heisman Winner

steensn wrote:
Local BBall game doesn't tell the whole story. The big difference between elite programs and non is the traveling fans, of which MSU seems to have none.

I really like how you are referring to MSU as an elite program. I just don't think they are anywhere near that in Football as of yet.

I think you are just upset that MSU could win the Big Ten and not have to play OSU in the process.

October 25th, 2010, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

Oh, I certainly am mad that we screwed the pooch on our chances at not only a Big Ten title (small beans compared to...) but ANOTHER NT game in a year were there are NO great teams. That I cannot deny...

But I am a Big Ten homer. I root for the Big Ten to look as great as possible... I want MSU to do well, but not at the expense of OSU. I'd love to see UM resurge as a power house in football. I want the Big Ten to go into the bowl games and show we are strong. But I find it disheartening when I see a Big Ten team represented so badly... if I were and SEC fan I'd be saying "That'd never happen in the SEC."

October 25th, 2010, 10:33 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

Really, I thought the difference was they were consistent winning programs. See, when you win consistently you gain lots of fans beyond alumni like those programs you mentioned. Look at all the Michigan fans on this board, how many of them actually graduated from UofM? Michigan has won for a long time (until recently), so as kids they gravitate to in the in-state school that wins. OSU is the same, along with all the others. One year does not a program make nor does it build a fan base.

Remember how you got all excited to win a share of the Big Ten BBall title and to me that meant nothing. That is because we win continuously in basketball and set our sights higher, along with that comes the fan base.

Regardless, who cares at this point. All I care about is beating a tough Iowa team, taking the Big Ten crown, and making some noise in the BCS. GO STATE!

October 25th, 2010, 10:56 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Honestly good reasons, but you don't see this with the SEC. If their team was #7, they'd have filled up with fans no matter the location.

October 25th, 2010, 12:24 pm
RIP Killer

Who cares about selling out? They've got the best record in the Big 10 and ranked top 5, who the F#$! cares about anything else?

October 25th, 2010, 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next