View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:35 pm



Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2271
Post NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
There is no doubt that Big Ben Fumbled at the goal line AND that it was recovered by the Dolphins, but the crew gives the ball back to the steelers.

Pittsburgh has been americas team for awhile, even with Besn indiscretions. I am pretty dissapointed. If the steelers win because of this, its as big a travesty of the Lions being robbed in week 1.


October 24th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2271
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
And there it is. GG Refs. GG NFL. What a disgrace.


October 24th, 2010, 4:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: January 1st, 2008, 8:03 pm
Posts: 1213
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
Packers just got a Touchdown even thoe the reciever did not complete the process of the catch Total BS.


October 24th, 2010, 9:16 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9775
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
There have been numerous bad calls by officials this season. Yesterday was atrocious across the NFL. The call that the ref made last night with the supposed Percy Harvin TD catch.....OMG. He was RIGHT THERE and didn't see that his second foot stepped out of the end zone?! Collinsworth saw that from up in the booth before the replay.

The call with Pittsburgh and the fumble was explained, but once again the NFL has written a VERY bad rule. There has to be VIDEO EVIDENCE of the fumble recovery? Yeah, right. Only if the players start wearing helmet cams. Otherwise, how can that possibly be done except in OBVIOUS situations?

The people that write the rules in the NFL are idiots....my 7 year old can write more concise and understandable rules than those butt pirates.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 25th, 2010, 9:24 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
That was a TERRIBLE call... I was amazed that went that way. Wow...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


October 25th, 2010, 10:45 am
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2716
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
It was ruled that way not because they need video evidence of the recovery, but because it wasn't obvious. It was a scrum and the whistle blew when they called it a touchdown. I understand why it was called the way it was. The blowing of the whistle ended the play and technically anyone jumping on the pile afterwards could have been blown for a late hit, so its a tough situation either way. Because you had players from both teams going for the ball at the time, it had to be brought back. We've seen plenty of cases where its obvious the other team recovers and this wasn't one of them. Bad rule, bad call, but right outcome on the replay according to the rules.


October 25th, 2010, 11:26 am
Profile
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
m2karateman wrote:
There have been numerous bad calls by officials this season. Yesterday was atrocious across the NFL. The call that the ref made last night with the supposed Percy Harvin TD catch.....OMG. He was RIGHT THERE and didn't see that his second foot stepped out of the end zone?! Collinsworth saw that from up in the booth before the replay.

The call with Pittsburgh and the fumble was explained, but once again the NFL has written a VERY bad rule. There has to be VIDEO EVIDENCE of the fumble recovery? Yeah, right. Only if the players start wearing helmet cams. Otherwise, how can that possibly be done except in OBVIOUS situations?

The people that write the rules in the NFL are idiots....my 7 year old can write more concise and understandable rules than those butt pirates.


Another bad call, IMO, was Shianco's over-turned TD catch.

The Pitt call was the correct call, but again, a bad rule. I don't know how much more "clear" video evidence you need than 3 Dolphins on a ball that Pitt was no where near, but I understand that a strict application of the rule points to the recovery not being able to be seen on the replay. STUPID...


October 25th, 2010, 12:57 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
Stupid rules are stupid rules, we've seen more of them this year than any other IMO go the wrong way. I liked how the ref's in the NE/SD game handled it. They refused to blow the whistle if it wasn't obvious and allowed for a replay challenge. If the ref's don't blow the whistle then there is no concern.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


October 25th, 2010, 1:00 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2271
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
Lets go over the evidence.

1) It was a Fumble, that was confirmed.
2) The first guy to fall on the ball was IAF, and he was the 1 to get up with it. 99% of the time when BOTH of these facts match up, that player recovered. If it "Changes possession" in the pile, thats when you have to question.
3) Closest Ref called WHite Ball before he even realized the other Ref had called it a touchdown, making his ruling Moot. OOPS.
4) Re-read #3.
5) The Refs grouping together to discuss said facts, then watching the video evidence that confirms said facts (Yep, 2 dolphins fell on the ball 1st, and the guy on the bottom of the pile got back up with the ball) meant that EVEN FOLLOWI(NG THE RULES, it was Miamis Ball.

The ref had a loophole, and used it. Bad Call/Corrupt Call, call it what you will, but that was neither Observationally correct, nor rules correct. NFL Bias FTW.

No I dont think there is a consipracy discussed amount any refs, etc. I also dont think NBA refs are told to give favoritism in calls to Kobe, Lebron and other super stars, but it has been factually proven with observation and statistics that they do. This is no different than the Lions always getting the calls against them.

Same Bias ruined the SB a few years back. On harrisons 100yd No time on clock halftime INT return, there was a Super clear block in the back on thwe last guy who would have tackled harrison OOB ending the play with no TD.. but they didnt call it, even though the ref was running 15 ft away and saw it happen.


October 25th, 2010, 1:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2219
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
Did you hear how Jeff Fisher alluded to the refs encouraging him to take timeouts in that MNF blowout last week because there had been too few 'TV timeouts'? I'm telling ya, at this rate, Roger Goodell's wife will be running for a Senate seat in Connecticut in 20 years. :D

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 25th, 2010, 1:50 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2219
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
Speaking of terrible calls, did anybody see the 'fumble' that decided the Bills/Ravens game?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights (around 2:50)

The guy had so clearly stopped making forward progress, yet the whistle isn't blown and the Ravens strip it. Ridiculous.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 26th, 2010, 3:20 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
Just like baseball...except the NFL can review damn near anything.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


October 26th, 2010, 3:34 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3058
Location: London, UK
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Speaking of terrible calls, did anybody see the 'fumble' that decided the Bills/Ravens game?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights (around 2:50)

The guy had so clearly stopped making forward progress, yet the whistle isn't blown and the Ravens strip it. Ridiculous.

I disagree. I think that's a legit call. He was going forward, go stopped, then got pushed forward again. That kind of play happens all the time.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.


October 26th, 2010, 11:39 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11845
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
PFT wrote:
NFL holding conference call with all officials on blown calls
Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2010 6:19 PM ET

At a time when NFL officials seems to be blowing more calls than a stuttering telemarketer, the league is taking an unprecedented step to get the most out of their men in black. And white.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the NFL will be conducting a "rare -- if not unprecedented" conference call with all game officials, which will be aimed at encouraging them to do a better job when it comes to getting calls right.

Usually, such calls involve only the referees. This specific call, which will happen Friday, will include every member of every crew.

As we observed via Twitter during Monday night's Giants-Cowboys game, it seems that a lot of mistakes have been made by officials as to events occurring right in front of them. The biggest blunder of the weekend came when officials determined that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had scored a touchdown, when replays showed he had fumbled. Application of the replay rules, though done accurately by referee Gene Steratore, created a sense that the Fins had been screwed.

Sunday night's on-field decision that Vikings receiver Percy Harvin had caught what would have been a game-winning touchdown pass came from an official who was looking down at Harvin's feet as one of them clearly landed out of bounds. Though the call was corrected via replay review, the "oh my heavens!" moment followed by a "what the hell?" realization surely made it harder to refocus on having to try to do it all again.

And then there was referee Scott Green's boneheaded reversal via replay review of Visanthe Shiancoe's touchdown reception in the same game. Though the explanation from NFL V.P. of officiating Carl Johnson left us even more confused about the rule, the fact remains that the league office believes Green screwed up.

While the conference call may not quite be an Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross moment, perhaps it should be. NFL officials are graded after each game, and they're held accountable for their mistakes.

But what of the ultimate accountability? How many officials actually are fired for repeated mistakes?

The correct answer may be "not enough."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... own-calls/

PFT wrote:
League privately downplays officiating conference call
Posted by Mike Florio on October 29, 2010 9:33 AM ET

Late yesterday afternoon, Jay Glazer of FOX reported that the NFL will conduct a conference call on Friday with all officials for the purposes of giving the men in black and white a "pep talk" and to clean up mistakes.

Publicly, the league-owned website has devoted a top-of-the-stack story to the Glazer report, characterized the report as something Glazer "reported" while appearing on NFL Network's Total Access.

Privately, the league is characterizing the situation much differently, explaining that the conference call was not scheduled to address officiating mistakes or to provide a pep talk to the men charged with getting the calls right.

As explained in a memo sent by V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson to all teams, key portions of which we have obtained, the conference call is part of new V.P. of officiating Carl Johnson's goal to expand and improve communications among the members of the officiating staff, the 32 NFL clubs, and the league office.

The memo explains that the conference call will include "all members of the Officiating staff, including supervisors, trainers and instant replay crews," and that it is intended to "provide an opportunity to review common issues relating to application of the playing rules, game management, player safety, and instant replay."

Anderson's memo also points out an "expectation" that "calls of this type will become a regular feature of our training and review program, along with our pre-season clinic, weekly training videos, our program of grading and film review, in-person teaching by veteran officials, and other steps to ensure that our games continue to feature the highest quality officiating."

That said, we assume/hope that the call will include some tough talk aimed at officials who can't get calls right that happen right in front of them, or who overturn via replay review calls that had been made correctly in the first instance. But to the extent that this conference call has been painted as a bat-signal-style gathering to shore up a troubled pack of zebras, the league's position is that the conference call is "unprecedented" only because it's the first time this new communications initiative will be utilized.

Hopefully, we've sufficient harmonized the two realities in a manner that won't prompt Glazer to threaten to "choke [me] out."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ence-call/

I still say its time for Full-Time officials. On top of that, why can't they do something similar to what the NHL does and have a "Command center" at NFL HQ and work in concert with officials there too? I think I speak for everyone in saying that we just want consistency and the calls to be correct. Get 'er done NFL!

_________________
Go Lions!!! headbang.gif

Joe Fauria, MVP!


October 29th, 2010, 9:44 am
Profile
Post Re: NFL Bias Blows another Call IMO
TheRealWags wrote:
I still say its time for Full-Time officials. On top of that, why can't they do something similar to what the NHL does and have a "Command center" at NFL HQ and work in concert with officials there too? I think I speak for everyone in saying that we just want consistency and the calls to be correct. Get 'er done NFL!


IMO that's ridiculous. "Full time officials" is a mantra put in place by the union representing the refs, and the ONLY difference is that they want to get paid for a full season, while working 16 weeks. It's ridiculous.

I do think that their should be a "command center" though, and I think the review process should be handled by that command center and not by the ref on the field. It would do two things:
1) speed up the game and the review process; and more importantly
2) have someone reviewing the call that didn't make the call in the first place.

They're basically asking the refs to admit that they were wrong when they're reviewing one of their own calls. They do it, but they have a bias before going into the booth - "they know what they saw" when they made the call.


October 29th, 2010, 12:42 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.