View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Who will the Lions Rookie-of-the-Year be? 

Poll ended at January 10th, 2005, 6:54 pm
Roy Williams 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Kevin Jones 65%  65%  [ 15 ]
Teddy Lehman 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

RIP Killer

Post Who will the Lions Rookie-of-the-Year be?
All the talk early in the season was Roy was going to be the NFL ROY. That talk seems to have faded. My question for everyone is who will be the Lions Rookie-of-the-Year? KJ has strung together an impressive four games in a row and should now challenge Roy for ROY (at least as far as the Lions are concerned).

December 6th, 2004, 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Trendwise I gotta give it to Kevin Jones. Roy has been great but the momentum is in Jones corner. He gets better every week althought I doubt he tops last weeks performance. But IMO it's whomever finishes out the year strongest.

Great question though and a case can be made for either Jones or Roy.

December 7th, 2004, 10:42 am
Profile WWW
All State

Trendwise I gotta give it to Kevin Jones. Roy has been great but the momentum is in Jones corner. He gets better every week althought I doubt he tops last weeks performance. But IMO it's whomever finishes out the year strongest.

Great question though and a case can be made for either Jones or Roy.

i agree with alpha, jones has the momentum on his side and should finish strong. i would never have thought he had a chance after the first 5 or 6 games but williams hasn't been the same since the ankle injury and jones is getting stronger and stronger. i like em both but voted for jones.

December 7th, 2004, 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

the fact that we can even have 2 guys to argue is a GREAT thing :lol:

December 7th, 2004, 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Got to give it to Jones. He has helped the Lions a lot more than Roy has in my opinion, and has been coming on very strong near the end of the season.

He is in the running with Roethlisberger for O-ROY, and has a decent chance if he continues running like he has been. He will certainly break 1,000 yards on the season, which didn't seem like it was going to happen 3 weeks ago.

December 7th, 2004, 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Water Boy

My vote goes to Kevin. Roy has been a big help, but I'd say overall it would be Jones. :D

December 8th, 2004, 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Over the last 4 games Jones is averaging 119 yds a game...that would be about 1900 yds for a season :shock:

He is top 10 in ypc and within the top 20 some he is the only 1 w/o a fumble at all :shock:
:shock:

Yardagewise he is 18th. The group of 17 rushers ahead of him avg 228 carries and that is 82 more than our man Jones. Give him those carries and he is number 7 in the league ahead of Clinton Portis, Ladainian Tomlinson, Ahman Green and other notables. Consider the league leader has 282 touches to Jones 145 (the lowest in that group). Give him Curtis Martin # of carries with his avg per carry and you have the league leader with 1360 yds :D :shock: :D :shock:

I know this is pure geek juice but it is pretty damn exciting...give him more carries and lets see what he can do... :idea:

December 8th, 2004, 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Right now I will give Roy the vote. But, KJ gets my " most improoved" award on this team. If this poll was posted at the end of the year I would probably vote for KJ.

Let's not forget some of the things Roy has done. It's easy to remember the "now" and it's easy to forget the past.

48% to KJ
52% to Roy

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!

December 8th, 2004, 1:13 pm
All State

He is in the running with Roethlisberger for O-ROY, and has a decent chance if he continues running like he has been. He will certainly break 1,000 yards on the season, which didn't seem like it was going to happen 3 weeks ago.

brian, i don't think anyone is in the running with big ben. regardless of stats where he has an over 2-1 td to int ratio, the guy is doing something that rookie qbs not named marino simply don't do. give him the award today, its over. ben has also won rookie of the week 7 times, nobody else has even won it twice. he hasn't lost a game as a pro either. let's get out the vote for kj this week http://www.nfl.com/rookies/vote

jones would win rookie-rb-of-the-year but it might not be kevin. julius in dallas has had two monster games in a row on national tv, plays for the cowboys and had 198 yards and 3 touchdowns last week. i'm not sure if two rbs are selected to the all-rookie team but if only one gets selected kj should get the nod on yards (703 vs 445), although jj has 5 tds to kjs 2.

December 8th, 2004, 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post I might be biased
being from Austin and seeing Roy play the last 4 years, that I would have to choose him as ROY. Although if KJ can keep his numbers up for the rest of the year he very well could get my vote.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 9th, 2004, 12:59 am
Baton Girl

Lehman should get a lot of consideration... he is the only of the 3 who has played in every game.... he is the most consistent of the three.... and he does do great things to win games... like the pick last week.... Defensive players always end up under the radar since they are not nearly as "spectacular"

December 9th, 2004, 1:36 pm
Bubbles the Lion

December 11th, 2004, 10:07 pm
QB Coach

ben has also won rookie of the week 7 times, nobody else has even won it twice.

That's according to a spammed internet site who asks the "fans" to vote for rookie of the week. 1/2 the times Roethlisberger won it, he shouldn't have (ex. Week 3 over Roy Williams).

I'd make the argument that Roethlisberger isn't ROY, because he isn't doing as much for his team as say, Kevin has. If Jones puts up 1,100 yards and 5 TDs, and is the single pulse on the Lions offense, then do you give it to a rookie who isn't as good when compared to other QBs in the league?

Roethlisberger is just benefiting off of other people in the Pittsburgh offense. The running game allows him to succeed, as he doesn't throw the ball at all. He only looks at his first progression, and isn't asked to do much. He isn't winning the games for Pittsburgh, it's their defense and their rushing game.

December 12th, 2004, 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

Hard to say! Roy would be my Rookie of the First Quarter. He's been lost since then!

December 15th, 2004, 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]