View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The McDaniels Trainwreck 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post The McDaniels Trainwreck
I don't know what it is, but I love watching the McDaniels trainwreck in Denver. Maybe it's just relief that we're not the worst run organization in the NFL anymore. Here's a good article that sums up things to date:

Quote:
Q&A: Squandering draft picks not the way to move forward
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 10/30/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Today's question comes from Dan in St. Louis:

Q: My issue with Josh McDaniels is that he has squandered too many draft picks. He has blown several first-round selections, and he has traded multiple picks to move up and take players who aren't playing on game day or are not even on the team. Is there a serious issue with Josh McDaniels and/or Brian Xanders when it comes to recognizing talent?

A: Dan, certainly McDaniels has already sent two Pro Bowl players on their way in Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall — likely the two most high-profile NFL moves he has made — and he also has traded Peyton Hillis and Alphonso Smith.

Hillis continues to be a bone of contention for fans since he has been a productive player for the Browns. Smith, whom the Broncos traded a first-round pick to move up and select in the 2009 draft, leads the Detroit Lions in interceptions, having returned one for a touchdown,

Ultimately, the NFL is about talent. Schemes can make the difference in a game between two teams that are fairly close in ability level, perhaps surprise somebody from time to time, but talent is almost always the tipping point.

Especially when an NFL team has to overcome the inevitable injuries it faces.

At this moment around the league, most personnel executives still see the Broncos as having a thin roster, and many cite the fact a player like Jason Hunter can be released by the Lions and then join the Broncos near the end of the preseason and still become a starter.

And the Broncos have had some draft issues. The first is all of the trades the team has made — and there have been plenty — when they have targeted players they've wanted.

When using a draft-value chart that is commonly used by teams around the league, the Broncos have routinely surrendered picks that are worth more in the point value on that chart than the picks they've gotten in return.

The second is the Broncos' early-round picks are still working their way into the lineup. McDaniels has had four first-round picks; of the four, only Robert Ayers was an unquestioned starter before he was hurt.

Running back Knowshon Moreno often has been injured and is still without a 100-yard rushing game in his career. Demaryius Thomas has lots of potential, but he's still a bit player on offense.

And Tim Tebow is a rookie quarterback behind Kyle Orton, who the Broncos have signed through 2011 season.

Those four first-rounders have to be the linchpins of the McDaniels-built roster as he moves forward. If they aren't, then premium picks were used on role players, and that's a tough way to go.

There's also the matter of the 2009 second-round selections. Smith is gone, and tight end Richard Quinn has rarely played.

Again, premium draft picks who aren't forwarding the Broncos' cause. And that is an issue the Broncos must deal with if they are going to get out of their current funk.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16 ... z13r4NjvY7

October 30th, 2010, 11:08 am
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: The McDaniels Trainwreck
I love the job McDaniels is doing in Denver almost as much as what Childress is doing in Minnesota (gotta love when I can watch a franchise run themselves into the ground, especially when it's not my Lions)

November 18th, 2010, 10:42 am
RIP Killer

Schwartz would be making that list if the Lions were ever good.

November 18th, 2010, 10:54 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
At this moment around the league, most personnel executives still see the Broncos as having a thin roster, and many cite the fact a player like Jason Hunter can be released by the Lions and then join the Broncos near the end of the preseason and still become a starter.

Ouch...

November 18th, 2010, 11:22 am
RIP Killer

Hunter's been pretty damn good filling in for Dumervill this season.

Also, they just cut Jarvis Moss, who they were trying to force at OLB. Might be worth a look at DE, the guy has a ton of talent. Too bad we're deep at DE.

November 18th, 2010, 11:26 am
Modmin Dude

conversion02 wrote:
Schwartz would be making that list if the Lions were ever good.

Um..yeah....ok

:wink:

November 18th, 2010, 11:30 am
RIP Killer

Wags, can you really argue with that comment? or just need a place to post your picture?

November 18th, 2010, 11:31 am
Modmin Dude

If you think Schwartz is doing a lousy job 1.5 years removed from the worst team in NFL history, then I really don't know what to say.

November 18th, 2010, 11:56 am
RIP Killer

If you could read, I would know what to say.

If you bothered reading, rather than jumping to conclusions, I said IF the Lions were ever good. Schwartz has demonstrated his boneheadedness over and over in every game. Don't really think that's arguable. The difference - the Lions were garbage and Schwartz hasn't made them any better in terms of the record, which is what counts in this league.

November 18th, 2010, 12:04 pm
QB Coach

conversion02 wrote:
If you could read, I would know what to say.

If you bothered reading, rather than jumping to conclusions, I said IF the Lions were ever good. Schwartz has demonstrated his boneheadedness over and over in every game. Don't really think that's arguable. The difference - the Lions were garbage and Schwartz hasn't made them any better in terms of the record, which is what counts in this league.

Absolutely it's arguable. Sure he's made some mistakes. But overall I think he's done well. I agree with most of his decisions.

If you can't see that this team is better now than it was when Schwartz took over, you're blind. It hasn't translated to wins yet, but it will. And don't give me any of this crap about coaching decisions costing us wins. The reality is, if players make plays, we win. If Stanton just takes the sack, we probably win, etc. Coaches are geniuses when their gambles pay off (i.e. when players make plays), and idiots when they don't.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 18th, 2010, 1:31 pm
RIP Killer

If Swartz had a better team then the small thnigs wouldn't turn into why we lose.

November 18th, 2010, 1:33 pm
RIP Killer

He's made many decisions that have directly led to losing games.

I don't care about talent. I don't care about close games. I care about wins, as does the rest of the world.

Do you pay to watch an 0-16 team lose games by 3 points? I surely would rather pay to watch an average team WIN 6-8 games. I'm sick of rooting for the league's biggest loser. It's painful. It's hard to watch giving games away because of piss poor execution, play calling, and retarded penalties. That's fundamentals. Tackling. Snap counts. Blocking. Holding containment. Fundamentals. Every game, there's dozens and dozens of miscues. The Browns suck, but they at least are winning some games.

It comes down to coaching. This team is more talented than Buffalo. More talented than Cleveland. More talented than Oakland. What happened to Dallas after Wade got canned? They exploded and are about to go on another 60 minutes of destruction against our hapless Lions.

Steens, you obviously have no clue as to what I said, so I'm not going to bother explaining it.

November 18th, 2010, 1:44 pm
RIP Killer

I understand what you said if we were good, he'd be on the list. I would say, if the team was good, this team was coached good enough to win even with the mistakes. No one ends up on the list if they are winning. That is all I'm saying, they overlook that stuff.

November 18th, 2010, 1:56 pm
RIP Killer

I was referring to prior to Gym Shorts taking over. Broncos were pretty good when Shanny was there.

November 18th, 2010, 1:58 pm
Modmin Dude

conversion02 wrote:
He's made many decisions that have directly led to losing games.

I don't care about talent. I don't care about close games. I care about wins, as does the rest of the world.

Do you pay to watch an 0-16 team lose games by 3 points? I surely would rather pay to watch an average team WIN 6-8 games. I'm sick of rooting for the league's biggest loser. It's painful. It's hard to watch giving games away because of piss poor execution, play calling, and retarded penalties. That's fundamentals. Tackling. Snap counts. Blocking. Holding containment. Fundamentals. Every game, there's dozens and dozens of miscues. The Browns suck, but they at least are winning some games.

It comes down to coaching. This team is more talented than Buffalo. More talented than Cleveland. More talented than Oakland. What happened to Dallas after Wade got canned? They exploded and are about to go on another 60 minutes of destruction against our hapless Lions.

Steens, you obviously have no clue as to what I said, so I'm not going to bother explaining it.

With all due respect, then why don't you go find another team? And don't tell me you can't, because that's just BS. You do realize it is just a game, right? There is NO need to get all worked up over any sports team. Jeebus folks, take a chill pill. ITS JUST A FREAKIN GAME!
/rant

November 18th, 2010, 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next