View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
Not sure how the computer rankings figure into all of this but the pollsters probably saw Wisc progressing faster than MSU during the latter part of the season. That win over OSU for Wisc was huge and then they blew a couple of teams out of the water afterwards. MSU plodded along, barely beating Purdue and then just having ho hum victories over Illinois, Minnesota, and PSU probably didn't help their BCS cause.

November 29th, 2010, 3:45 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Thank god Ohio State isn't in the Rose Bowl.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 29th, 2010, 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It's not like we get there often. We've been there twice since 1996...

November 29th, 2010, 3:54 pm
RIP Killer

It shouldn't matter if you run up the score on the bad teams, or simply beat them by 7, 10, or 14 points. The fact that running up the score on poor teams to increase BCS ranking is ridiculous. Just because MSU is a solid team that beat their opponents and controlled Wisconsin and beat them, shouldn't mean they're lower in the rankings simply because they didn't run up the score on their weak opponents.

I also don't buy the fact that Wisconsin beating OSU two weeks after MSU beat them SHOULD have boosted them in the rankings. Just because MSU beat Wisconsin in Week 5 (vs week 8 or so) shouldn't hurt them in the standings either.

November 29th, 2010, 4:08 pm
RIP Killer

I think you are confusing running up the score verses dominating. MSU did not dominate opponents and show that they were a far superior team, MSU squeaked by some poor teams. There is a difference, because again, sometimes UPSETS happen, it is why they are considered upsets. Wisconsin didn't jump OSU after they beat them, it wasn't until they beat Iowa the next week that they jump OSU. Little did everyone know beating Iowa wasn't going to be that big of a deal, lol...

But conversion, the fact is, this has a lot to do with opinions on how good a team is, not the wins/loses. You should well know from the NFL that the best teams get beaten by lesser opponents. It doesn't matter whether or not they lost, though it plays a large part. As I LISTED above, you wouldn't say the same about the other teams, why must it be a fact about this one?

November 29th, 2010, 4:39 pm
RIP Killer

wjb, MSU didn't beat Wisconsin on a fake - they beat them by 10 points on the road - that is the best win by any of these teams in the Big Ten. Yes, we lost to Iowa on the road - the same Iowa team that lost to both Wis and OSU by a combined 4 points.

MSU shares the same record as OSU and Wis and has not lost to either. You want to go by style points, fine, you want to say luck, fine - but then apply the same logic to the Lions and the NFL.

November 29th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

No, when you're up by 40 points on an opponent, you don't keep throwing the ball. Didn't the same team also go for 2 when they were up by 25 against Minnesota. I'm sorry that I don't consider that dominating opponents. I call that classless and Bielema and his team has it written all over them.

MSU did what it needed to do to win. Do you consider the Jets any less of a team because they barely beat the Lions and the Browns, both in OT? No. They're a good team and they did what they needed to do to win.

November 29th, 2010, 4:59 pm
RIP Killer

NFL:

Indy lost to Jacksonville, have the same record as Jacksonville... is Jacksonville really better than Indy?

ESPN thinks by far not:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

Fox says no:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

Fanhouse as well:
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/23/nfl- ... eperation/

I could find one after another but I don't think that is needed. Again, the best team does NOT always win...

November 29th, 2010, 5:03 pm
RIP Killer

^^^ Clearly missing the point of the post.

Steens, I don't care if you think MSU "upset" Wisconsin. Good teams do what it takes to win. MSU has done that this season. Who cares about style points. A "W" is all that SHOULD matter. That's all that matters in the NFL. Do style points matter in the NFL?

Also, yes, I would say Jacksonville is a better team, because they're not one-dimensional. Have you watched Indy without Dallas Clark or Joseph Addai? They have zero run game, their defense sucks, and Peyton is forcing everything. They're one-dimensional and should be thrilled to even sniff the playoffs.

November 29th, 2010, 5:06 pm
RIP Killer

1) Wisconsin scored 0 points in the fourth against Northwestern.
2) Against Northwestern, Wisconsin in the 3rd ran 14 times and passed once.
3) Against Indiana, Wisconsin ran 10 times and threw 3 times in the 4th.
4) Look at the scoring for the Minnesota, it was 14-9 Badgers at the half. Then they went up 2 TD's in the 3rd making it 28-9. Minn came back and scored 2 TD's. Wisconsin's response was to RUN OUT THE CLOCK with 18 rushes and 5 passes.
5) I could go on... but I don't need to.

The issues is that Wisconsin's offense is built around a tremendous run game. For them to "run out the clock" plays to their offenses strengths.

November 29th, 2010, 5:19 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
^^^ Clearly missing the point of the post.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

conversion02 wrote:
Steens, I don't care if you think MSU "upset" Wisconsin. Good teams do what it takes to win. MSU has done that this season. Who cares about style points. A "W" is all that SHOULD matter. That's all that matters in the NFL. Do style points matter in the NFL?

The NFL has playoffs... they don't have to "get it right" with the top two. They don't have to look past a loss here or there to determine who the best team is. All of them play fairly equal opponents, over a long schedule, and the top 12 teams go into the playoffs. If the NCAA had all the teams playing a fairly equal schedule, with a large enough quantity, then I would say it is comparable, but it isn't. No tourney, no equal schedules.

It's funny we have Pablo defending ONE win here and mocking a loss off in the NCAA thread. It totally makes sense, but is the totally best indication of why these things are different. You need to acknowledge the difference with Pablo, a win matter, that is why none of those teams are in contention for the BCS championship. But separating out the 1 loss teams, 2 loss teams, and the mix in the middle is a bit of an opinion. The BCS is not a playoff system. If you are advocating for one, then just do it... but don't treat a non-playoff system like one.

November 29th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Pablo wrote:
wjb, MSU didn't beat Wisconsin on a fake - they beat them by 10 points on the road - that is the best win by any of these teams in the Big Ten. Yes, we lost to Iowa on the road - the same Iowa team that lost to both Wis and OSU by a combined 4 points.

MSU shares the same record as OSU and Wis and has not lost to either. You want to go by style points, fine, you want to say luck, fine - but then apply the same logic to the Lions and the NFL.

Pablo, without the converted fake punt MSU never takes the lead, and loses to Wisconsin, period. The fake punt won them the game. They converted a fake punt, scored, and Wisconsin blew it on their comeback attempt (I think throwing a pick). Wisconsin dominated MSU that whole game, until the final 4 minutes.

November 29th, 2010, 5:51 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

so MSU did what it took to win....that should count against em?????

Im confused!

November 29th, 2010, 6:22 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
so MSU did what it took to win....that should count against em?????

Im confused!

I never said that it should count against them. I give MSU credit for the win, but they're not the better team. If MSU and Wisc lined up this weekend and played a game on neutral turf Wisc would be favored by 7 points and they would likely cover the spread.

Wisc. is the better team, hands down, they played tougher competition, they beat tougher competition (OSU) and they're rightfully ranked higher in the BCS.

November 29th, 2010, 6:39 pm
RIP Killer

It doesn't count against them, it simply is part of the equation when evaluating what team is actually better overall. Rankings have mostly to do with win loss and a lot to do with opinion on team strength. We are talking BCS where you get one chance to get things right, not a playoff system. By all accounts, Wisconsin has shown the most in the Big Ten...

November 29th, 2010, 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next