View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 11:22 am



Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9390
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb, MSU didn't beat Wisconsin on a fake - they beat them by 10 points on the road - that is the best win by any of these teams in the Big Ten. Yes, we lost to Iowa on the road - the same Iowa team that lost to both Wis and OSU by a combined 4 points.

MSU shares the same record as OSU and Wis and has not lost to either. You want to go by style points, fine, you want to say luck, fine - but then apply the same logic to the Lions and the NFL.


Pablo, without the converted fake punt MSU never takes the lead, and loses to Wisconsin, period. The fake punt won them the game. They converted a fake punt, scored, and Wisconsin blew it on their comeback attempt (I think throwing a pick). Wisconsin dominated MSU that whole game, until the final 4 minutes.


Really? You have a really backwards definition of domination...

1st downs - MSU 19, Wisconsin 15
Total Yards - MSU 444, Wisconsin 292
3rd Downs - MSU 9/19, Wisconsin 3/11
4th Downs - MSU 2/3, Wisconsin 0/1
TOP - MSU 36:24, Wisconsin 23:36

The only state Wisconsin won was the turnover battle, 3-0, if not for those turnovers the score would have been a lot more lopsided than 34-24...

I'll give you a little room to backtrack on your statement now. Did you watch this game?

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 29th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
Here is one thing we can ALL agree.... why the heck is Stanford's computer rankings so high when they have beat zero ranked opponents. That is a mystery... their schedule is no better than OSU's and they haven't beaten anyone better. OSU easily had the weakest schedule of the 3 Big Ten teams, and it shows in the computer rankings. Wisconsin and MSU had a harder schedules than Stanford and Stanford is ranked MUCH higher than both. That I do not get...

Stanford IMO is the only anomaly in this mix.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 29th, 2010, 9:03 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
regularjoe12 wrote:
so MSU did what it took to win....that should count against em?????

Im confused!


According to Steens, yes.

To steens, all that matters is Ohio State and anything anti-Michigan. To be honest, I'm surprised the title of this thread wasn't "I can't believe OSU has to share the B10 title with a couple of turd schools"

Oh, and steens, your random stats are pointless. How easily you fail to mention that, against Indiana, they threw the ball 7 times and ran 7 times in the third quarter, when they were already up 45-10. Oh, and all their starters were in for that 59-13 shellacking at the end of the 3rd.

How about Northwestern? 49-17 at the half, starters kept playing...fortunately, after the talk of running up the score, Bielema decided to purely run the ball the entire 2nd half. I guess this time he found that a 30+ point lead was good enough to simply run the ball.

Also, against Minny, why would I need to look at the scoring to know that going for 2 after leading 41-16 is just cheap BS???? I like how you simply ignored my point and spun it into garbage about running out the clock. Also, it was 35-9 before Minny scored again, then Wisc scored, then Minny scored again.

Also, I've been saying the BCS is crap for years and a playoff system has long been desired. Isn't it tiring watching the same damn schools compete for a national championship? I know I'm tired of it. It's pretty much a gimme who's going to the Rose Bowl and the Orange Bowl.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


November 30th, 2010, 9:01 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
Convo... really? You are going to resort to that? That is sad... You want to mouth of saying how they were "still passing" and I show how they basically weren't and you blow them off and resort to "OSU homer." I'm sorry, but you lost my respect in this discussion with that lame last ditch attempt. Lame...

The rest of the world disagrees with you, are they all OSU homers? :roll:

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 30th, 2010, 11:08 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
steensn wrote:
Convo... really? You are going to resort to that? That is sad... You want to mouth of saying how they were "still passing" and I show how they basically weren't and you blow them off and resort to "OSU homer." I'm sorry, but you lost my respect in this discussion with that lame last ditch attempt. Lame...


Well, the threads like "#2 goes down!" and the like just screams of the homerism. How many people made threads last season when OSU got bounced in the first round last year?

By the way, you're saying I'm "mouthing off" and you "showed how they basically weren't" and I "blew it off". Nice. Maybe you should learn to read. Let me repost what you failed to read...

conversion02 wrote:
Oh, and steens, your random stats are pointless. How easily you fail to mention that, against Indiana, they threw the ball 7 times and ran 7 times in the third quarter, when they were already up 45-10. Oh, and all their starters were in for that 59-13 shellacking at the end of the 3rd.

How about Northwestern? 49-17 at the half, starters kept playing...fortunately, after the talk of running up the score, Bielema decided to purely run the ball the entire 2nd half. I guess this time he found that a 30+ point lead was good enough to simply run the ball.

Also, against Minny, why would I need to look at the scoring to know that going for 2 after leading 41-16 is just cheap BS???? I like how you simply ignored my point and spun it into garbage about running out the clock. Also, it was 35-9 before Minny scored again, then Wisc scored, then Minny scored again.

Also, I've been saying the BCS is crap for years and a playoff system has long been desired. Isn't it tiring watching the same damn schools compete for a national championship? I know I'm tired of it. It's pretty much a gimme who's going to the Rose Bowl and the Orange Bowl.


You failed to address my point that going for a 2 pt conversion when up 41-16 is running up the score. But yet, you tell me I need to look at the scoring for some reason. Sorry, but please explain the point in going for 2 when you're up by 25 points, in the 4th quarter??? Actually, I don't want to hear it, because there's no reasonable explanation to go for 2 when up by 25, with a whopping 6:39 left in the game

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


November 30th, 2010, 11:28 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
So instead of jumping all over calling me an OSU homer why can't you just say that? Why do you have to go there? That is a cowardly low route to go IMO. I haven't said anything about homerism in this even though it is a MSU fan & you (not sure) against UM fans and the rest of the world.

Here is what he said:

"For what it’s worth, Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said after the game that he went for two because according to his chart when you’re up by 25 in the fourth you have to go for two."

Take it or leave it, I don't care. I have zero faith you would accept any answer because you firmly believe he shouldn't do it for any reason at all. But the math says go for two and that is what he did. Was it right to do so? Should he have said screw the math at some point? Probably. But is ti proof he is running up the score? Come on.. there is more than enough evidence he starts running the ball more when he's ahead and near the end of the game. I could care less if you want to take ONE 2 point conversion as proof over the AMPLE amount of dead on proof that he runs the clock out when ahead. That is your decision to make on what you want to accept.

What I posted showed DECISION after DECISION to run the clock out. Compared to Oregon, Oregon still ran a 50-50 offense while up over 30 points on most teams.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 30th, 2010, 11:49 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
Bielema's comment is assinying. 6 minutes left, up by 25. Sorry, but when has a team scored 4 TDs in 6 minutes?

So your "ample proof" fails to include the 3rd quarter, apparently. Let me say for a 3rd time...How easily you fail to mention that, against Indiana, they threw the ball 7 times and ran 7 times in the third quarter, when they were already up 45-10. Oh, and all their starters were in for that 59-13 shellacking at the end of the 3rd.

Yeah, leave the starters in to build up to that 46 point lead, after they already had a 35 point lead at the half. Oh, and the 50/50 play call split to boot. How's that factor into your PROOF? Is that not AMPLE and DEAD ON enough for you?

Sure, he did primarily run the ball in the 2nd half against Northwestern (maybe that's where you're getting all your "ample amount" of proof from). It's too bad he still had ALL of his starters in with a 49-17 lead.

Cowardly? You're right, I'll stick to cheering OSU losing and making threads about it.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


November 30th, 2010, 12:01 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
conversion02 wrote:
Well, the threads like "#2 goes down!" and the like just screams of the homerism. How many people made threads last season when OSU got bounced in the first round last year?


I have a thread on here about #1 OSU going down against Wisc. I even mentioned in another thread how you guys were ignoring that fact... funny... it's happening again.

Why can't we joke around and have fun about this stuff? Is teasing a MSU fan about losing wrong between friends? Geez...

conversion02 wrote:
You failed to address my point that going for a 2 pt conversion when up 41-16 is running up the score. But yet, you tell me I need to look at the scoring for some reason. Sorry, but please explain the point in going for 2 when you're up by 25 points, in the 4th quarter??? Actually, I don't want to hear it, because there's no reasonable explanation to go for 2 when up by 25, with a whopping 6:39 left in the game


It doesn't matter, I gave his reason, no one makes all the right decisions. There is no reason to freak out over it and make it a bigger deal than it is. Was it wrong? Sure, coaches make the wrong decisions all the time. Taking the wind for instance. It happens, it doesn't DEFINE the person.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 30th, 2010, 12:34 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
conversion02 wrote:
Bielema's comment is assinying. 6 minutes left, up by 25. Sorry, but when has a team scored 4 TDs in 6 minutes?

So your "ample proof" fails to include the 3rd quarter, apparently. Let me say for a 3rd time...How easily you fail to mention that, against Indiana, they threw the ball 7 times and ran 7 times in the third quarter, when they were already up 45-10. Oh, and all their starters were in for that 59-13 shellacking at the end of the 3rd.

Yeah, leave the starters in to build up to that 46 point lead, after they already had a 35 point lead at the half. Oh, and the 50/50 play call split to boot. How's that factor into your PROOF? Is that not AMPLE and DEAD ON enough for you?

Sure, he did primarily run the ball in the 2nd half against Northwestern (maybe that's where you're getting all your "ample amount" of proof from). It's too bad he still had ALL of his starters in with a 49-17 lead.

Cowardly? You're right, I'll stick to cheering OSU losing and making threads about it.


Again, who cares? Everyone keeps their starters in now, it's part of the game and making sure you show up on the ranking higher. You are mad that they are playing the game to get higher in the rankings? Then asking why they are higher in the rankings?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 30th, 2010, 12:50 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
That's my point. It's stupid to run up the score in order to improve BCS rankings. Oregon has done it this year too. I think it's stupid and it's the fault of the BCS system. It's another reason as to why playoffs are needed. The fact that MSU beat the team going to the Rose Bowl and won't even get an at-large bid is ridiculous.

For the record, I think if MSU and OSU played Saturday, OSU would win.

How is Arizona even in the top 25? The only good team they beat was Iowa. Stanford at #4 is really ridiculous. They lost to Oregon and the rest of the Pac10 is crap. Maybe it's the Andrew Luck love? I fail to see how they've proven more than any of the 3 top Big 10 teams.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


November 30th, 2010, 1:05 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9390
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
conversion02 wrote:
For the record, I think if MSU and OSU played Saturday, OSU would win.


I agree as well...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 30th, 2010, 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
conversion02 wrote:
That's my point. It's stupid to run up the score in order to improve BCS rankings. Oregon has done it this year too.


It isn't stupid, it is doing what you need to to get to a better bowl game.

conversion02 wrote:
I think it's stupid and it's the fault of the BCS system. It's another reason as to why playoffs are needed. The fact that MSU beat the team going to the Rose Bowl and won't even get an at-large bid is ridiculous.


Then hate the system, not those playing in it.

conversion02 wrote:
For the record, I think if MSU and OSU played Saturday, OSU would win.


conversion02 wrote:
How is Arizona even in the top 25? The only good team they beat was Iowa. Stanford at #4 is really ridiculous. They lost to Oregon and the rest of the Pac10 is crap. Maybe it's the Andrew Luck love? I fail to see how they've proven more than any of the 3 top Big 10 teams.


As I stated before, I do not get the computer rankings at all... it makes no sense. Stanford has played a weaker schedule than all the 3 teams, yet has the #4 computer ranking. The reason MSU's computer rankings are lower than Wisc is because Wisc strength of schedule includes OSU and MSU, two top ten teams while MSU and OSU's each only have one. How is Arizona in the top 25? They aren't anymore.

I have yet to defend the computer rankings, only the human polls, which is based on opinion.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 30th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
It is stupid that the system rewards that type of play. Then again, maybe you weren't pissed when you saw Schwartz trotting out top players like CJ with 2 minutes left in a 44-6 blowout. Sure, it's different, but not entirely. If you don't think it's cheesy, then whatever, that's your opinion. Mine is that running up the score, no matter the situation, to improve BCS standings is garbage. I think the system is garbage and it needs to change.

As of Sunday, Arizona was #23. Maybe look at the BCS standings and not the AP.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


November 30th, 2010, 1:45 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
Guess you're right on AZ.

Again, all I wanted to make a difference is that you have a problem with the system... so focus on that and not those playing in it. Facts are, MSU couldn't have run up the scores like that and that means something.

You may want 100% fairness, but I don't think the NCAA needs that. I think the expectations for a 100% fair system are not that interesting compared to tradition. I think being just about right enough most of the time is good enough for this situation. It makes the season so much more exciting.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 30th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: 3 Big Ten Teams in Top Ten
The problem with the BCS, IMO, is that it rewards the super conferences only. With the moving around of conferences, it really won't matter if any team from a conference outside the SEC, Pac-10, Big 10, and maybe the Big 12 runs the table, because they'll never have a shot at the orange bowl.

That's part of the reason I was against Nebraska leaving the Big 12. The Big 12 has a north and south, that results in a championship game. The Big 10 doesn't. It may when Nebraska joins.

Would NCAA basketball be half of what it is today without March Madness? Imagine a playoff system in football.

Sure, I like watching Bowl games, but I'm not a fan of watching two weak 7-5 teams go at it in some Humanitarian Bowl.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


November 30th, 2010, 2:04 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.