View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 8:59 pm



Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 It's that week.... THE GAME 
Author Message
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2692
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
I guess my main point is that it is important the university does not fire Rich Rod just to fire him. Don't be ND.

If we can't get Harbaugh, I would like them to keep RR and hire someone like Randy Shannon for DC and give him carte blanche.

The 2012 schedule is downright brutal with the Alabama game in Texas, @OSU, @ND, @Nebraska

Harbaugh will be given a long leash due to his Ann Arbor ties, but another outsider won't, and would be expected to have a successful season in 2012 despite it being only the second year of their reign. Thus, I don't think many outside coaches will take the chance on coming here, unless they are supremely arrogant or are somehow given a guarantee of long term employment.


November 28th, 2010, 4:52 am
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2692
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
The lack of activity today makes me believe that RR will be fired come Jan 1, or at least, that is the current plan.

If DB was planning on retaining him, I would've expected him to come out and state it by now. As it is, this uncertainty is going to kill Michigan recruiting.

I suppose its possible that he's waiting until after the bowl game to make his decision, but I don't think letting it come down to the team's performance in that one game is a smart idea.


November 29th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
I think that they agree with you, they are not going to fire just to fire. I agree as well, don't fire until you have the replacement. You can see marginal improvements by just replacing the D coordinator and getting better, the offense is solid. I don't think Harbaugh jets before a bowl game. not after all the work he has done.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 29th, 2010, 2:30 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
Blueskies wrote:
The lack of activity today makes me believe that RR will be fired come Jan 1, or at least, that is the current plan.

If DB was planning on retaining him, I would've expected him to come out and state it by now. As it is, this uncertainty is going to kill Michigan recruiting.

I suppose its possible that he's waiting until after the bowl game to make his decision, but I don't think letting it come down to the team's performance in that one game is a smart idea.


In a way if RichRod isn't getting a ringing endorsement at the moment..."like you'll be our coach in 2011"...it makes no sense to retain him. Then if you're only replacement is Harbaugh and it isn't 100% certain he will come then your delimma continues. Besides Harbaugh, who is out there that would satisfy the alumni and fan base? I believe you are right that we won't see any action until Stanford's and UMs bowls are completed and whatever the decision is, it is going to hurt the progress for next year since the recruiting period will be winding down. I read something about a banquet is being held this week or sometime in the near future where they will be honoring the 1985 UM football team and Harbaugh will be present for that event. I would love to be a fly on the wall that evening and listen to all the chatter over cocktails.

I don't know if anyone caught Matt Millen comment during the game Saturday where he stated that UofM should give RichRod the benefit of the doubt, that alone should tell you to fire him immediately.

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


November 29th, 2010, 3:35 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2692
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
Actually, that banquet is this Thursday and Harbaugh already announced that he won't be attending.

But yeah, if Jan 2 rolls around and DB announces that Rich Rod will be getting a contract extension, I'm going to be a little upset--not because of the decision necessarily but because of hit to recruiting.


November 29th, 2010, 5:57 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
My honest opinion is that MI's fastest route to winning again is a top notch DC.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 29th, 2010, 6:02 pm
Profile
Online
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3818
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
I disagree...it's more than that. like for example...can you tell me a how a campus with 10k+ people can't have open tryouts to find someone who can kick a dang field goal beyond 25 yards???? rediculous.

Just another example of a coach in WAAAYYYYYYY over his head and only focusing on offense, forgetting there are 2 other phases of the game.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


November 29th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Profile
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
steensn wrote:
My honest opinion is that MI's fastest route to winning again is a top notch DC.


I agree, and have to add... The HC, IMO, needs to be told that the DC has total control over the defense. The HC can still perform his regular duties and make calls to manage the game, but the defensive scheme is entirely up to the DC's discretion.


Re: Fg tryouts... If you think MI doesn't have 5 kids on their football team that can regularly kick 30+ yard Fgs in practice you're a complete moron. The problem is finding a 18-20 year old kid that can do it in front of 100,000 people with the game on the line - that's not easy to do.


November 29th, 2010, 6:37 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
HAHA, my buddy and I were discussing the FG and punting tryouts thing during the game. We suggested opening it up to the soccer team to earn a full scholly... make them kick in front of a pep rally or something crazy like that.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 29th, 2010, 6:49 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
steensn wrote:
My honest opinion is that MI's fastest route to winning again is a top notch DC.


I'm sure fans of all UofM opponents want them to keep RR, it only makes sense from their point of view.

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


November 29th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9489
Location: Dallas
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
grgrundge wrote:
steensn wrote:
My honest opinion is that MI's fastest route to winning again is a top notch DC.


I'm sure fans of all UofM opponents want them to keep RR, it only makes sense from their point of view.


As a Michigan fan, but even bigger MSU fan and alumni, I would like them to keep RR only for the MSU game please.

BTW - thanks a lot for nothing this weekend, funny how State's Rose Bowl hopes all came down the the Maize and Blue... well not that funny... stupid Michigan!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 29th, 2010, 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
Blueskies wrote:
Actually, that banquet is this Thursday and Harbaugh already announced that he won't be attending.


Last I heard he was going to be there, oh well, I guess there won't be any drama in AA this Thursday evening.

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


November 29th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Profile
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
Pablo wrote:
grgrundge wrote:
steensn wrote:
My honest opinion is that MI's fastest route to winning again is a top notch DC.


I'm sure fans of all UofM opponents want them to keep RR, it only makes sense from their point of view.


As a Michigan fan, but even bigger MSU fan and alumni, I would like them to keep RR only for the MSU game please.

BTW - thanks a lot for nothing this weekend, funny how State's Rose Bowl hopes all came down the the Maize and Blue... well not that funny... stupid Michigan!


They actually came down to the Iowa game... but no one wants to blame themselves...


November 30th, 2010, 5:44 am
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7430
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
grgrundge wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
The lack of activity today makes me believe that RR will be fired come Jan 1, or at least, that is the current plan.

If DB was planning on retaining him, I would've expected him to come out and state it by now. As it is, this uncertainty is going to kill Michigan recruiting.

I suppose its possible that he's waiting until after the bowl game to make his decision, but I don't think letting it come down to the team's performance in that one game is a smart idea.


In a way if RichRod isn't getting a ringing endorsement at the moment..."like you'll be our coach in 2011"...it makes no sense to retain him. Then if you're only replacement is Harbaugh and it isn't 100% certain he will come then your delimma continues. Besides Harbaugh, who is out there that would satisfy the alumni and fan base? I believe you are right that we won't see any action until Stanford's and UMs bowls are completed and whatever the decision is, it is going to hurt the progress for next year since the recruiting period will be winding down. I read something about a banquet is being held this week or sometime in the near future where they will be honoring the 1985 UM football team and Harbaugh will be present for that event. I would love to be a fly on the wall that evening and listen to all the chatter over cocktails.

I don't know if anyone caught Moron of the Millennium comment during the game Saturday where he stated that UofM should give RichRod the benefit of the doubt, that alone should tell you to fire him immediately.


I heard that. And that was my exact thought.


November 30th, 2010, 10:55 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: It's that week.... THE GAME
But isn't RR offense one of the best in the country? Why would keeping him for that aspect be bad for the team?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


November 30th, 2010, 11:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.