View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 WHOOHOOO Boise Lost!!! 
RIP Killer

Post Re: WHOOHOOO Boise Lost!!!
Pablo wrote:
Actually, according to strength of schedule Boise St had a tougher schedule than Ohio State or Wisconsin for that matter.

Speaking of strength of schedule and the fact that steensn was harping on Stanford's schedule, did you know they had the hardest SOS of any of the top 10 ranked schools.

In the 3-way Big Ten tie, MSU had the toughest SOS, but not by much.

Not according to steens on page 3 of this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14154&start=30

steens wrote:
tanford has played a weaker schedule than all the 3 teams, yet has the #4 computer ranking. The reason MSU's computer rankings are lower than Wisc is because Wisc strength of schedule includes OSU and MSU, two top ten teams while MSU and OSU's each only have one.

December 1st, 2010, 10:32 am
RIP Killer

hamma77 wrote:
Sucks Boise lost.

It's not Boises fault they don't have a tough schedule. They try to play tough games and no one will play them. EVERY TIME they play a good team outside their conference they beat them. Nevada is a good team and got the best of Boise, It's ashame.

Now they have no one to blame but themselves, Had they won out I deff. think they deserved to be in the title game if oregon or auburn loses.

No, it's actually not true. TCU and Boise have turned down many chances to play very good teams. Boise specifically turned down Texas and it was made public.

December 1st, 2010, 11:35 am
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Actually, according to strength of schedule Boise St had a tougher schedule than Ohio State or Wisconsin for that matter.

Speaking of strength of schedule and the fact that steensn was harping on Stanford's schedule, did you know they had the hardest SOS of any of the top 10 ranked schools.

In the 3-way Big Ten tie, MSU had the toughest SOS, but not by much.

Matter how you rate strength of schedule. If you go by wins - loses then it's a farce. What list you using and how do they rate it?

To say this:

Sacramento State
Wake Forest
UCLA
Notre Dame
Oregon (#1)
USC
Washington State
Washington
Arizona (#23)
Arizona State
California
Oregon State

Is harder than this:

UNLV
San Jose State
Arizona State
Austin Peay
Michigan State (#8)
Minnesota
Ohio State (#6)
Iowa
Purdue
Indiana
Michigan

I'm sorry, I just don't see it... based on win-loss records of opponents and opponents is skewed when everyone plays everyone else.

December 1st, 2010, 11:53 am
RIP Killer

Look at the PAC-10 conference this year:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/stan ... &year=2010

Oregon 11-0
Stanford 11-1
Arizona 7-4
USC 7-5
Oregon State 5-6
Washington 5-6
Arizona State 5-6
California 5-7
UCLA 4-7
Washington State 2-9

vs the Big Ten:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/stan ... &year=2010

Wisconsin 11-1
Ohio State 11-1
Michigan State 11-1
Iowa 7-5
Penn State 7-5
Michigan 7-5
Northwestern 7-5
Illinois 6-5
Purdue 4-8
Minnesota 3-9
Indiana 5-7

You line up everyone in that order, maybe shuffle the top three around, and you tell me who comes out on top. I have no problem saying I think the Big Ten wins every single one of those match-ups.

December 1st, 2010, 12:00 pm
Heisman Winner

Boise has also been turned down alot too.

I bet the deal with Texas was that the game had to be played in Texas...Why would they do that? Even if that wasn't the case, They have been turned down by good teams too.

Other teams don't want to come to Boise to play, and many big teams have turned down Boise. Obviously a move to a tougher conference would fix all of this, and I think they would fair pretty well. Boise has a great team this year, They could beat most teams in college football.

A playoff would fix all of this though, the best team would win.

December 1st, 2010, 12:26 pm
RIP Killer

hamma77 wrote:
Boise has also been turned down alot too.

I bet the deal with Texas was that the game had to be played in Texas...Why would they do that? Even if that wasn't the case, They have been turned down by good teams too.

Other teams don't want to come to Boise to play, and many big teams have turned down Boise. Obviously a move to a tougher conference would fix all of this, and I think they would fair pretty well. Boise has a great team this year, They could beat most teams in college football.

Boise is NOT too good to accept a 1 game option. A few upsets here or there doesn't earn them that respect.

hamma77 wrote:
A playoff would fix all of this though, the best team would win.

That is a farce, the team that wins a playoff doesn't mean they are the best team. upsets happen all the time, it is why they are called upsets.

December 1st, 2010, 12:33 pm
Heisman Winner

Being the best team has to factor in consistancy.

Are you saying the best team in the NFL is not the Super Bowl winners?

Obviously the range of talent is much different in college football, but I still think the best team would win out.

December 1st, 2010, 12:36 pm
RIP Killer

hamma77 wrote:
Being the best team has to factor in consistancy.

Are you saying the best team in the NFL is not the Super Bowl winners?

Obviously the range of talent is much different in college football, but I still think the best team would win out.

I think in the NFL the consistency is much better and the playoffs are better suited, but no, I do not think the best team always wins in the NFL either. In 2008, I don't think the Giants were the best team in the NFL. Why? Well why does that win say they are better than the Patriots when the Patriot beat the Giants in week 17 @ the Giants stadium. Why isn't that win the one that counted? It had all the makings of showing the Patriots were better...

My point is, playoffs just force the importance of winning to the playoffs themselves. It makes the regular season more and more meaningless as you increase the size and puts all the importance more and more on the playoffs. I think that you get different negative effects fro playoffs, generally people just accept them because it seems fair. I don't think the best team always wins, so are we really kinging the true winner each playoff? No, but we are ACCEPTING the results of the system.

December 1st, 2010, 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2