View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Big Ten won't pursue expansion 
Modmin Dude

Post Big Ten won't pursue expansion
ESPN wrote:
Big Ten won't pursue expansion
By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com

The Big Ten announced Sunday that it will no longer actively pursue expansion after a 12-month study period.

The league's Council of Presidents/Chancellors agreed at its winter meeting to end the expansion study, which was announced last December and scheduled for 12-to-18 months. The Big Ten added Nebraska as its 12th member on June 11, marking the league's first expansion in two decades.

"We have been thoroughly engaged in the process since last December," said Indiana University president Michael McRobbie, the chair of the Big Ten's Council of Presidents/Chancellors. "Following detailed discussions at today's meeting, my colleagues and I can report that we believe that this process has reached its natural conclusion. We are pleased with the addition of Nebraska and look forward to working with our colleagues there in the years ahead."

In a statement, the Big Ten said it will monitor the landscape in college sports but "will not be actively engaged in conference expansion for the foreseeable future and does not expect to be proactively seeking new members."

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5888109

December 6th, 2010, 10:13 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Big Ten won't pursue expansion
Nice to hear, a super conference would be crazy... too many teams. I like the Nebraska add.

December 6th, 2010, 11:16 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Big Ten won't pursue expansion
steensn wrote:
Nice to hear, a super conference would be crazy... too many teams. I like the Nebraska add.

Totally agree, anything beyond 12 teams becomes too much and Nebraska is a great add and it gives us a conference championship game.

December 6th, 2010, 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]