View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 11:44 pm



Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 2010-11 bowl schedule 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12038
Post 2010-11 bowl schedule
Sorry for the formatting...too lazy/busy to reformat...
ESPN wrote:
2010-11 bowl schedule

The 2010-11 bowl season starts in Albuquerque, N.M., and ends in Glendale, Ariz. Here's a look at the schedule from the New Mexico Bowl on Dec. 18 to the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 10 in University of Phoenix Stadium.

All times Eastern


2010-11 College Football Bowl Schedule
Bowl Location Date/Time Network
New Mexico
BYU vs. UTEP Albuquerque, N.M.
University Stadium Dec. 18
2 p.m. ESPN
uDrove Humanitarian
Northern Illinois vs. Fresno State Boise, Idaho
Bronco Stadium Dec. 18
5:30 p.m. ESPN
R+L Carriers New Orleans
Ohio vs. Troy New Orleans
Louisiana Superdome Dec. 18
9 p.m. ESPN
Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg
Southern Mississippi vs. Louisville St. Petersburg, Fla.
Tropicana Field Dec. 21
8 p.m. ESPN
MAACO Las Vegas
Utah vs. Boise State Las Vegas
Sam Boyd Stadium Dec. 22
8 p.m. ESPN
S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia
Navy vs. San Diego State San Diego
Qualcomm Stadium Dec. 23
8 p.m. ESPN
Sheraton Hawaii
Hawaii vs. Tulsa Honolulu
Aloha Stadium Dec. 24
8 p.m. ESPN
Little Caesars
Florida International vs. Toledo Detroit
Ford Field Dec. 26
8:30 p.m. ESPN
AdvoCare V100 Independence
Air Force vs. Georgia Tech Shreveport, La.
Independence Stadium Dec. 27
5 p.m. ESPN2
Champs Sports
West Virginia vs. NC State Orlando, Fla.
Florida Citrus Bowl Dec. 28
6:30 p.m. ESPN
Insight
Missouri vs. Iowa Tempe, Ariz.
Sun Devil Stadium Dec. 28
10 p.m. ESPN
Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman
East Carolina vs. Maryland Washington, D.C.
RFK Stadium Dec. 29
2:30 p.m. ESPN
Texas
Illinois vs. Baylor Houston
Reliant Stadium Dec. 29
6 p.m. ESPN
Valero Alamo
Oklahoma State vs. Arizona San Antonio
Alamodome Dec. 29
9:15 p.m. ESPN
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
Army vs. SMU Dallas
Gerald J. Ford Stadium Dec. 30
Noon ESPN
New Era Pinstripe
Kansas St. vs. Syracuse Bronx, N.Y.
Yankee Stadium Dec. 30
3:20 p.m. ESPN
Franklin American Mortgage Music City
North Carolina vs. Tennessee Nashville, Tenn.
LP Field Dec. 30
6:40 p.m. ESPN
Bridgepoint Education Holiday
Nebraska vs. Washington San Diego
Qualcomm Stadium Dec. 30
10 p.m. ESPN
Meineke Car Care
South Florida vs. Clemson Charlotte, N.C.
Bank of America Stadium Dec. 31
Noon ESPN
Hyundai Sun
Notre Dame vs. Miami El Paso, Texas
Sun Bowl Dec. 31
2 p.m. CBS
AutoZone Liberty
Georgia vs. UCF Memphis, Tenn.
Liberty Bowl Dec. 31
3:30 p.m. ESPN
Chick-fil-A
South Carolina vs. Florida State Atlanta
Georgia Dome Dec. 31
7:30 p.m. ESPN
TicketCity
Northwestern vs. Texas Tech Dallas
Cotton Bowl Jan. 1
Noon ESPNU
Outback
Florida vs. Penn State Tampa, Fla.
Raymond James Stadium Jan. 1
1 p.m. ABC
Capital One
Alabama vs. Michigan State Orlando, Fla.
Florida Citrus Bowl Jan. 1
1 p.m. ESPN
Gator Bowl
Mississippi State vs. Michigan Jacksonville, Fla.
Municipal Stadium Jan. 1
1:30 p.m. ESPN2
Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO
Wisconsin vs. TCU Pasadena, Calif.
Rose Bowl Jan. 1
5 p.m. ESPN
Tostitos Fiesta
Connecticut vs. Oklahoma Glendale, Ariz.
U. of Phoenix Stadium Jan. 1
8:30 p.m. ESPN/ESPN3D
Discover Orange
Stanford vs. Virginia Tech Miami
Sun Life Stadium Jan. 3
8:30 p.m. ESPN
Allstate Sugar
Ohio State vs. Arkansas New Orleans
Louisiana Superdome Jan. 4
8:30 p.m. ESPN
GoDaddy.com
Middle Tennessee vs. Miami (Ohio) Mobile, Ala.
Ladd-Peebles Stadium Jan. 6
8 p.m. ESPN
AT&T Cotton
LSU vs. Texas A&M Arlington, Texas
Cowboys Stadium Jan. 7
8 p.m. FOX
BBVA Compass Bowl
Pittsburgh vs. Kentucky Birmingham, Ala.
Legion Field Jan. 8
Noon ESPN
Kraft Fight Hunger
Nevada vs. Boston College San Francisco
AT&T Park Jan. 9
9 p.m. ESPN
Tostitos BCS National Championship Game
Oregon vs. Auburn Glendale, Ariz.
U. of Phoenix Stadium Jan. 10
8:30 p.m. ESPN/ESPN3D

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 6th, 2010, 10:16 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
The 2010-11 Big Ten bowl lineup is now official.

As expected, Wisconsin earned the league's automatic BCS berth and will face TCU in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio. It marks Wisconsin's first trip to Pasadena since 2000.

Ohio State earned a BCS bowl berth for the sixth consecutive year and will face Arkansas in the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Not surprisingly, Michigan State was snubbed by the BCS selections but gets to face defending national champion Alabama in the Capital One Bowl.

Iowa is headed to the Insight Bowl to face Missouri for the first time since 1910.

Here's the full lineup:

Insight Bowl, Dec. 28: Iowa vs. Missouri

Texas Bowl, Dec. 29: Illinois vs. Baylor

TicketCity Bowl, Jan. 1: Northwestern vs. Texas Tech

Gator Bowl Presented by 5-Hour Energy, Jan. 1: Michigan vs. Mississippi State

Outback Bowl, Jan. 1: Penn State vs. Florida

Capital One Bowl, Jan. 1: Michigan State vs. Alabama

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio: Wisconsin vs. TCU

Allstate Sugar Bowl: Ohio State vs. Arkansas

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 6th, 2010, 11:15 am
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Indeed, a great time of year :cheers:

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


December 6th, 2010, 11:17 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
As expected, Wisconsin earned the league's automatic BCS berth and will face TCU in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio. It marks Wisconsin's first trip to Pasadena since 2000.

Ohio State earned a BCS bowl berth for the sixth consecutive year and will face Arkansas in the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Not surprisingly, Michigan State was snubbed by the BCS selections but gets to face defending national champion Alabama in the Capital One Bowl.


so lame... College football is really broken and needs some fixin.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 6th, 2010, 11:40 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
By broke, is it that a VT team that got beat by James Madison, or a terrible Uconn, both getting a BSC bid? In that case, there needs to be some provisions for ending up in the top 10 final BCS rankings or something.

But the BCS has the BEST two teams playing each other in college football, it did it's job.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 6th, 2010, 12:01 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
By broke, is it that a VT team that got beat by James Madison, or a terrible Uconn, both getting a BSC bid? In that case, there needs to be some provisions for ending up in the top 10 final BCS rankings or something.

But the BCS has the BEST two teams playing each other in college football, it did it's job.


Really, so only the top two teams in a regular season should play in the title game? I guess then that only the teams with the best NFC an AFC records need to play in the SuperBowl.

BTW - the BEST two teams in your opinion, I'd happen to disagree but we will never know because of this jacked up system. Let's determine this on the field, not in the computers...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 6th, 2010, 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
That is fine, you can disagree with y opinion, but it is shared by most of the US. There are very few who dissent, on the basis of any normal dissension.

Look, the two best teams should play each other, regular season or not. These are the two best teams in the country, based on most the countries opinion and their play. A single loss playoff system doesn't pit the two best teams in the championship game usually. The two best teams could be in the same bracket, maybe they lost in the final four to the best team. Either way, everything is flawed and the same arguments can be said for the playoff system.

I want to see the two best teams in the country square off, a playoff does not guarantee that anymore than the BCS. I think this is a combination of opinion and some logical algorithm to help clear it up a bit. The BCS attempts to do that, though some rules keep some great teams from good bowl games. Arguably, the CAPITAL ONE BOWL this year is better than the TOSTITOS FIESTA BOWL... but that is getting picky when a playoff doesn't even afford these teams the option to make this kind of cash post season. I think some rules should change to get the right teams in place for the bigger bowl games, UCONN and VT should not be in a BCS game.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 6th, 2010, 1:14 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Actually, I thinks most folks opinion is that the BCS sucks and would like a playoff system. I want to see two teams play for a championship that earned it by knocking off other great teams, not by "oh they were the best team in the regular season" - thankfully Pro sports and NCAA B-Ball get this.

This opinion stuff is OK for figure skating and gymnastics, but not football!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 6th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
You keep saying "regular season" like it doesn't mean anything. You have a false belief that a playoff system is somehow more fair. Why does a win in a bracket mean more than a win in the regular season? If OSU beats MSU twice in regular season then faces off in the playoff and loses, why does that one win count and the others not? It's easy, because artificial importance is placed on that one win. it only means more because it is the step to get farther. Why can't those steps be in the regular season? Why can't every game or win matter? Why do we have to rely on one game to have all the meaning?

I'm sorry, but it is a farce...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 6th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12038
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Pablo wrote:
Actually, I thinks most folks opinion is that the BCS sucks and would like a playoff system. I want to see two teams play for a championship that earned it by knocking off other great teams, not by "oh they were the best team in the regular season" - thankfully Pro sports and NCAA B-Ball get this.

Agreed!

Pablo wrote:
This opinion stuff is OK for figure skating and gymnastics, but not football!

LMAO!!! :lol:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 6th, 2010, 3:30 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12038
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
You keep saying "regular season" like it doesn't mean anything. You have a false belief that a playoff system is somehow more fair. Why does a win in a bracket mean more than a win in the regular season? If OSU beats MSU twice in regular season then faces off in the playoff and loses, why does that one win count and the others not? It's easy, because artificial importance is placed on that one win. it only means more because it is the step to get farther. Why can't those steps be in the regular season? Why can't every game or win matter? Why do we have to rely on one game to have all the meaning?

IMO the "regular season" counts for seeding in the playoffs and the playoffs are where champions are crowned.

Let me put it this way: Why does ANY sport have a playoff system? Why not just bypass that part of the competition altogether, maybe just extend all the seasons to make up for the difference, right?

steensn wrote:
I'm sorry

Yes, yes you are :lol:

j/k :wink:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 6th, 2010, 3:35 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
Why does a win in a bracket mean more than a win in the regular season?


Because it is win or go home. Really, you can't understand that? Would a Lions playoff win mean more than a regular season win? Hell ya.

Based on your logic, hell just name Auburn the champion now - why do they even need to play a game since most people and the computers this Auburn was the best team in the regular season. Starting to see how flawed your argument is yet?

But you still don't get it. Let's see OSU finishes one spot ahead of MSU in basically every poll but gets into a BCS game and gets $17M to the Spartans $4.25M, really one spot in the standing equals four times the payout? talk about a farce...

BTW - here is an interesting article on how the BCS rankings aren't checked and just another reason why they are flawed...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -final-bcs

This system is a joke, I can't believe anyone out there still supports it.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 6th, 2010, 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
TheRealWags wrote:
IMO the "regular season" counts for seeding in the playoffs and the playoffs are where champions are crowned.

Let me put it this way: Why does ANY sport have a playoff system? Why not just bypass that part of the competition altogether, maybe just extend all the seasons to make up for the difference, right?


There is a distinct difference here IMO. I agree a playoff is the way to crown THE champion. Not to determine the #2, #3, etc. It certainly crowns the champion as best you can determine. I think the NBA/NHL playoffs do the best deciding, they do multiple game series to make sure it wasn't a one time thing. That is their job, the point is to crown the champion. It is a business... perfect for me IMO.

In the NCAA basketball world, there is a compromise for the students so they are not overwhelmed, they do not play multiple game series. There is LESS likely a chance the best team actually wins it all, but it is good enough for the situation and trade offs. Fine, we all agree...

In the NCAA football world, there is tradition, $$$, etc. at steak. The schools WILL NOT let go of bowl games because that keeps their programs running. For example, the OSU athletics actually funs the academics to some level. The small schools are playing for a chunk of change too, just to keep their athletics open. A playoff system WILL NOT distribute that kind of money. It simply won't happen because schools cannot afford it. The NCAA basketball can have their tourney because the FOOTBALL programs are raking in the dough to fund the athletic department. It's simple... tradition and $$$ will never see the bowl games go away. Even Pablo is complaining about not getting the $$$ yet wants to do away with it!?

The BCS looks to pit great match ups of the best teams. It did it this year, it has done it in years past. NCAA football doesn't need a 100% for sure winner... it is the biggest college sport by far even with it's flaws. Why change it? The goal doesn't need to be crown a champ on your way to losing the millions of dollars pumped into the schools. It isn't worth it because it isn't a NEED.


TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
I'm sorry

Yes, yes you are :lol:

j/k :wink:


Ouch.. haha!

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 6th, 2010, 4:01 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12038
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
In the NCAA football world, there is tradition, $$$, etc. at steak. The schools WILL NOT let go of bowl games because that keeps their programs running. For example, the OSU athletics actually funs the academics to some level. The small schools are playing for a chunk of change too, just to keep their athletics open. A playoff system WILL NOT distribute that kind of money. It simply won't happen because schools cannot afford it. The NCAA basketball can have their tourney because the FOOTBALL programs are raking in the dough to fund the athletic department. It's simple... tradition and $$$ will never see the bowl games go away. Even Pablo is complaining about not getting the $$$ yet wants to do away with it!?

The BCS looks to pit great match ups of the best teams. It did it this year, it has done it in years past. NCAA football doesn't need a 100% for sure winner... it is the biggest college sport by far even with it's flaws. Why change it? The goal doesn't need to be crown a champ on your way to losing the millions of dollars pumped into the schools. It isn't worth it because it isn't a NEED.

Who said anything about giving up the Bowl games??? Incorporate those bowl games into the playoff capping it off with a TRUE, LEGIT National Championship game. Why can't that be done? Why does it have to be Bowl game OR playoff? Not too mention, a true playoff system would probably generate MORE $$$ for the schools (and NCAA as a whole).

First off, I'm sure we all know I am NO NCAA football expert (not really that big of a fan...)...that being said, here is my Q&D ideas for a potential playoff system:

ALL NCAA D1/BCS conferences will have a Conf Championship game (which could be some of the current Bowl games??)
The winners of those games, will face each other and so on until a true National Championship game is played.
Teams that don't make it to their Champ game will be going to Bowl games.

Granted that is very simplistic, but I'm sure you get the idea. Its not really that far fetched or that difficult to accomplish. Will it take some time? Sure, but the end result should eliminate all this ranking crap (which is purely subjective).

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 6th, 2010, 4:14 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9450
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Football has to be a one and done playoff system as you can't have a multiple game series due to the recovery time of the sport.

steensn wrote:
A playoff system WILL NOT distribute that kind of money. It simply won't happen because schools cannot afford it. The NCAA basketball can have their tourney because the FOOTBALL programs are raking in the dough to fund the athletic department. It's simple... tradition and $$$ will never see the bowl games go away. Even Pablo is complaining about not getting the $$$ yet wants to do away with it!?


I'm not complaining about the $ per se, I'm stating how flawed even that system is. One spot in the rankings = 4X the $, so MSU's other sports are screwed because the computers put OSU one spot ahead - that makes it fair? BTW - shouldn't the system be set up to distribute the $ in a fairer means?

steensn wrote:
it is the biggest college sport by far even with it's flaws. Why change it?


So it's the biggest sport, why change it? Hummmmm, to make it better - much better? A novel concept I know. GM was the biggest automaker in the world, did they need changing? Rome was the most powerful... Oh, I could go on and on blowing away that line of thinking. Your argument has been made by MLB for years, how is that turning out? Well, I guess they are still America's passtime.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 6th, 2010, 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.