View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 12:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Now we can find out about Troy... 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Now we can find out about Troy...
Good, so I don't need to explain to you that QB's don't need to be top 10 to be good or decent. They can get the job done and not make a lot of mistakes and still be good QB's.

November 30th, 2010, 3:22 pm
steensn wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'll say that I've been impressed so far with his play. I don't think he's done anything great, but he's been average, which is honestly more than I expected out of him.

That is what I expected out of him.

Honestly, I expected him to looked rushed, confused, short (lacking vision), and inaccurate. I thought that he would make bad decisions, bad passes, try to move the ball on the ground too much, fumble or throw picks, etc. I'm impressed with his composure and his decision making thus far, and that's huge for a Qb.

November 30th, 2010, 3:23 pm
steensn wrote:
Good, so I don't need to explain to you that QB's don't need to be top 10 to be good or decent. They can get the job done and not make a lot of mistakes and still be good QB's.

I sure agree with you there... Which is why it pains me that we have a $70 million dollar kid with a busted shoulder on our squad right now...

November 30th, 2010, 3:23 pm
RIP Killer

Depends on how you define "good"

Is good defined as enough to win - ala Kyle Orton circa 2005 or not enough to win but putting up excellent numbers - ala Kyle Orton circa 2010? LOL, it's completely different. Is it based on winning or being a game changer with top stats?

November 30th, 2010, 3:24 pm
RIP Killer

Not 2005 Orton or 2010 Orton. I'm thinking 2008 Orton. 2007, 2006 or 2003 Kitna would do as well. or how Troy has played in his 4 starts. Of this years crop, Cassel, Garrard, Josh Freeman, Bradford, Sanchez, Palmer, Gradkowski, Manning, Kitna are all doing enough to win without great top 10 stats. I think the perfect current play to show this is Garrard, nothing great, but he is good enough to build a team around.

November 30th, 2010, 3:33 pm
steensn wrote:
Not 2005 Orton or 2010 Orton. I'm thinking 2008 Orton. 2007, 2006 or 2003 Kitna would do as well. or how Troy has played in his 4 starts. Of this years crop, Cassel, Garrard, Josh Freeman, Bradford, Sanchez, Palmer, Gradkowski, Manning, Kitna are all doing enough to win without great top 10 stats. I think the perfect current play to show this is Garrard, nothing great, but he is good enough to build a team around.

Troy Smith is far from David Garrard. He's shown me that he may be an adequate back-up (al la Shaun King), but he is not someone that I would want to build my team around.

December 7th, 2010, 11:45 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:

Troy Smith is far from David Garrard. He's shown me that he may be an adequate back-up (al la Shaun King), but he is not someone that I would want to build my team around.

Actually he seems to be progressing just like Garrard...

December 7th, 2010, 11:54 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:
Smith hasn't played at all for the 49ers in a game, how can anyone say he is awful. It's laughable.

He hasn't played anywhere else either, and that's because other teams think he's awful too! The Ravens drafted him to play WR, and only switched his position due to a dire need. The guy is NOT an NFL Qb.

T Smith for you is going to be like Mike McMahon, and Drew Stanton for delusional Lions fans. You won't admit that he's terrible until he's ready to retire or he's out of the NFL.

Again... I'll let him do the talking... and take the little wins:

Not an NFL QB to adequate backup QB... good enough for now.

December 7th, 2010, 11:56 am
RIP Killer

Is that 2 losses in a row now?

December 7th, 2010, 12:00 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
Is that 2 losses in a row now?

Nope...

Beat Den, then Stl, lost to Tampa, beat Cards, lost to GB

December 7th, 2010, 12:08 pm
RIP Killer

But SF is stupidly going with Alex against Seattle... how dumb are they?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/In- ... Smith.html

December 7th, 2010, 12:11 pm
RIP Killer

Maybe a 10/25 for 194, 1/1 doesn't impress them and they want to give Alex another shot, seeing as though they've got a ton of money invested in him.

December 7th, 2010, 12:39 pm
RIP Killer

Maybe, doesn't seem like a good decision to me.

December 7th, 2010, 12:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Im still not sure on Troy, but he definitely proved to be better than most thought (non nfl qb) and at least secured a Backup QB role IMO.

That said, theyve tried the Bench and re-start thing with AS a few times... I woulda let Smith finish out the season so you "know what you got" with him, rather than the 3rd/4th/5th retread of Alex Smith who we all know just can't get it together.

December 7th, 2010, 12:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Alex Smith wasn't benched, he had a shoulder injury. I doubt they would have had Carr starting if Smith was healthy. It was Carr sucking so bad that let Troy Smith get the default chance to start.

December 7th, 2010, 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next