View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 12:54 am



Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Position by Position Breakdown 
Author Message
Stats Boy
User avatar

Joined: December 22nd, 2010, 11:02 pm
Posts: 16
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
I agree to at least keep Peterson around. We need to draft 2 LB's, but if we let Peterson go then we'd probably need to acquire another LB as a backup. It'd be good to mix a veteran like Peterson with a rookie at a position to keep the defense fresh. While Peterson is getting up there in age he hasn't exactly been the cause of the Lions' problems.


December 23rd, 2010, 4:45 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
Not the biggest problem of the D, but he definitely plays a part. He misses a lot of tackles and that makes the D look real bad. I think he's really only a spot duty type of guy any more, but he's starting here out of necessity and salary.

_________________
Forward down the field!


December 23rd, 2010, 4:51 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2286
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
plach1jm wrote:
I agree to at least keep Peterson around. We need to draft 2 LB's, but if we let Peterson go then we'd probably need to acquire another LB as a backup. It'd be good to mix a veteran like Peterson with a rookie at a position to keep the defense fresh. While Peterson is getting up there in age he hasn't exactly been the cause of the Lions' problems.


Would you keep petersen if he wont negotiate (at least a 50/50 proposition) at the cost of 8+ million?

Id let him walk in that case and think the Lions would be insane to keep him for more than 4mil.

Look at it this way. The Defense got MUCH Better this year, and yet his play has declined. Landon johnson looks like a quality backup/potential starter at Will, but Petersen cant get anything done at SAM with this Dline? He is part of the problem, not part of the solution, even as short as we are at LB. Its not that hard to bring in 1 Starting (doesnt have to be an 8million dollar stud) FA LB, Draft another one or two int he first 4 rounds, and go into next season with those 2-3 + Levy, Follet Back, Landon johnson, and maybe another depth player.


December 24th, 2010, 5:32 am
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
DJ-B wrote:
plach1jm wrote:
I agree to at least keep Peterson around. We need to draft 2 LB's, but if we let Peterson go then we'd probably need to acquire another LB as a backup. It'd be good to mix a veteran like Peterson with a rookie at a position to keep the defense fresh. While Peterson is getting up there in age he hasn't exactly been the cause of the Lions' problems.


Would you keep petersen if he wont negotiate (at least a 50/50 proposition) at the cost of 8+ million?

Id let him walk in that case and think the Lions would be insane to keep him for more than 4mil.

Look at it this way. The Defense got MUCH Better this year, and yet his play has declined. Landon johnson looks like a quality backup/potential starter at Will, but Petersen cant get anything done at SAM with this Dline? He is part of the problem, not part of the solution, even as short as we are at LB. Its not that hard to bring in 1 Starting (doesnt have to be an 8million dollar stud) FA LB, Draft another one or two int he first 4 rounds, and go into next season with those 2-3 + Levy, Follet Back, Landon johnson, and maybe another depth player.


I completely agree. Peterson has done nothing this season to justify his bloated salary. His historical refusals of renegotiation and his likely desire to move to a team in serious playoff contention because of his nearing the end of his career is probably going to get him out of Detroit. If Mayhew keeps him at that salary, I'll lose a ton of respect for him as a GM.

I understand that the Lions need linebackers, but not at that ridiculous cost, and certainly not after the season he's had. Perhaps the Lions will have a better shot of landing a quality FA linebacker now that they've earned a measure of respect throughout the league.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 24th, 2010, 2:05 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2286
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
Exactly.

We are desperate for LBs, but we can get an adequate SAM for 4million a season coming off say a rookie contract as compared to paying him 8 for being (maybe) adequate but still declining. Plus if we get a Younger player they might actually become the future of the position, rather than soon to be done playing.

Spend the extra $4 on a second free agent.


December 24th, 2010, 3:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
DJ-B wrote:
Exactly.

We are desperate for LBs, but we can get an adequate SAM for 4million a season coming off say a rookie contract as compared to paying him 8 for being (maybe) adequate but still declining. Plus if we get a Younger player they might actually become the future of the position, rather than soon to be done playing.

Spend the extra $4 on a second free agent.


Spot on, my feelings summed up brilliantly. $8M per season can buy you a damn fine LB plus some depth players.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 24th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
I wonder if they try to bring him back the way the Tigers brought back Magglio Ordonez. He was slated to earn 17 million this year, and they cut him, let him try to get a big contract, then brought him back for 10 million. He and Peterson are similar types of guys. Once all star type of players, but on the wrong end of 30 with declining talent and big egos. They both think they're worth more then their play dictates, and Peterson will be in for a rude awakening, like Ordonez was when he got 7 million less than he thought.

_________________
Forward down the field!


December 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
I've been thinking for awhile now that the Lions will cut Peterson and his $8M salary this off-season. Then, I'd like to see them sign a mid-level LB in FA and draft another one fairly high. Originally, I was hoping that they would go after David Hawthorne or Derrick Johnson, but they have been extended by their current teams. Now, I'm not sure who they should target who won't cost an arm and a leg.

_________________
Image


December 25th, 2010, 11:40 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
Well, it will be an interesting off-season given the whole CBA thing and the idea of having a rookie pay scale. If that happens, and the cap doesn't dramatically change, I can see some veteran players (not all) giving strong consideration to holding out for more money, since there will be more in the kitty. You know that some of these slimeball agents, being pissed off about the rookie contract reductions, are going to try to "earn" more money from their veteran clients by talking them into holding out for a new deal. Some teams may buckle for their premier players, but I think most teams might tell their less than franchise talent to bugger off and go elsewhere. It's going to make for a very interesting off-season, if they ever get to an agreement.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 25th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7458
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
Well, for the price of Peterson, we should be able to get either David Harris or Chad Greenway.

Greenway is even more intriguing because he would make us stronger while, at the same time, making a division opponent weaker.

Adding both? We would be able to draft a CB in the 1st round and then focus the rest of the draft on O-line and depth.

If all this happens? I guarantee playoffs in 2011. Provided the season isn't canceled.


December 25th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
BillySims wrote:
Well, for the price of Peterson, we should be able to get either David Harris or Chad Greenway.

Greenway is even more intriguing because he would make us stronger while, at the same time, making a division opponent weaker.

Adding both? We would be able to draft a CB in the 1st round and then focus the rest of the draft on O-line and depth.

If all this happens? I guarantee playoffs in 2011. Provided the season isn't canceled.


I would be VERY happy to sign Chad Greenway!

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 25th, 2010, 4:03 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
BillySims wrote:
Well, for the price of Peterson, we should be able to get either David Harris or Chad Greenway.

Greenway is even more intriguing because he would make us stronger while, at the same time, making a division opponent weaker.

Adding both? We would be able to draft a CB in the 1st round and then focus the rest of the draft on O-line and depth.

If all this happens? I guarantee playoffs in 2011. Provided the season isn't canceled.


I'd be happy with either/both, but I don't think either one is going to be given up by their teams. The Jets have already said re-signing David Harris is a priority for them, and the Vikings will free up a pretty good chunk of money because Favre is done.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 26th, 2010, 10:40 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
Greenway is a stud. Watching him last night made me want a player like that in our D. I don't think the Vikes would let him go. This team is going to be in a quasi-rebuilding mode because of their uncertainty at QB and in the secondary. They won't let him go, as their LB's are a pretty good bunch, and something to build upon. Pat Williams is retiring, and they'll have to replace him, Ray Edwards might bolt in FA, leaving them with a lot of holes. Why create another by not trying to re-sign a guy like Greenway?

_________________
Forward down the field!


December 29th, 2010, 5:23 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Well, for the price of Peterson, we should be able to get either David Harris or Chad Greenway.

Greenway is even more intriguing because he would make us stronger while, at the same time, making a division opponent weaker.

Adding both? We would be able to draft a CB in the 1st round and then focus the rest of the draft on O-line and depth.

If all this happens? I guarantee playoffs in 2011. Provided the season isn't canceled.


I'd be happy with either/both, but I don't think either one is going to be given up by their teams. The Jets have already said re-signing David Harris is a priority for them, and the Vikings will free up a pretty good chunk of money because Favre is done.


Definitely agree. I hear the Jets GM on the radio a few weeks ago saying that Harris was their #1 priority right now.

Greenway could come free if the new coach wants to implement a 3-4 and can't find a place for Greenway in that scheme. However, I'm guessing that Leslie Frazier keeps the job and will want to hang onto Greenway.

_________________
Proud member of the Contract Extension for Schwartz Fan Club.


December 29th, 2010, 6:10 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9908
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
mwill2 wrote:
Definitely agree. I hear the Jets GM on the radio a few weeks ago saying that Harris was their #1 priority right now.

Greenway could come free if the new coach wants to implement a 3-4 and can't find a place for Greenway in that scheme. However, I'm guessing that Leslie Frazier keeps the job and will want to hang onto Greenway.


If the Vikings were to move to a 3-4, I think they keep Greenway to be their weakside ILB, and let Leber go or be the backup to both inside spots. I don't imagine the Vikings being dumb enough to let their leading tackler walk in FA.....but I'm not saying it definitely won't happen.

As for Frazier keeping the job, that's a tough call. I don't know that they've improved with him coaching over Childress. They may have won against Philly, but they didn't beat Philly. The Eagles did everything they could to give that game away. Minnesota's blitzing was the real difference maker there. The offense wasn't that spectacular, and the Eagles defense left at least four picks on the field.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 29th, 2010, 9:18 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.