View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 4:19 pm



Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
steensn wrote:
I am not that big of a homer. I call it like I see it.... though you may call this next part homerism:

Tressel and OSU should be commended for being the ones to report this to the NCAA just like they have in the past. Teams like Auburn and others all new about the pay for play scheme of Newton's dad and said nothing till it got out. This should be recognized that they are not willing to throw it to the wind to hid things.

If Sweater-vest-boy and OSU want to be commended, then suspend all these players for the bowl game.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 23rd, 2010, 3:23 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
I am not that big of a homer. I call it like I see it.... though you may call this next part homerism:

Tressel and OSU should be commended for being the ones to report this to the NCAA just like they have in the past. Teams like Auburn and others all new about the pay for play scheme of Newton's dad and said nothing till it got out. This should be recognized that they are not willing to throw it to the wind to hid things.

If Sweater-vest-boy and OSU want to be commended, then suspend all these players for the bowl game.


I read somewhere that OSU did, but NCAA reversed it.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


December 23rd, 2010, 3:28 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
Why?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 3:28 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
grgrundge wrote:
Steensn, has there been any rumblings of this issue in Buckeye nation and if so when did it first come to light? The first time I heard about it was last night and all of a sudden these guys are suspended for five games. I'm a sports junkie who pretty much keeps up with everything and this caught me by surprise. You would think there would of been rumors and such earlier in the year, these rule infractions go back like three years.


I heard the rumblings 2-3 days ago.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 3:29 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
LionsFan4Life wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
I am not that big of a homer. I call it like I see it.... though you may call this next part homerism:

Tressel and OSU should be commended for being the ones to report this to the NCAA just like they have in the past. Teams like Auburn and others all new about the pay for play scheme of Newton's dad and said nothing till it got out. This should be recognized that they are not willing to throw it to the wind to hid things.

If Sweater-vest-boy and OSU want to be commended, then suspend all these players for the bowl game.


I read somewhere that OSU did, but NCAA reversed it.

So, are you saying that no team can suspend any of its players without the NCAAs sayso??? If so, WOW!! :shock:

I'm quite sure this 'activity' could fall under something like conduct detremental to the team, breaking team/school rules, etc.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 23rd, 2010, 3:34 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
steensn wrote:
grgrundge wrote:
Steensn, has there been any rumblings of this issue in Buckeye nation and if so when did it first come to light? The first time I heard about it was last night and all of a sudden these guys are suspended for five games. I'm a sports junkie who pretty much keeps up with everything and this caught me by surprise. You would think there would of been rumors and such earlier in the year, these rule infractions go back like three years.


I heard the rumblings 2-3 days ago.


Thanks. Pretty much kept under wraps, hard to believe in this day and age. No Wikileaks in Buckeye nation :lol:

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


December 23rd, 2010, 3:38 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
grgrundge wrote:
steensn wrote:
grgrundge wrote:
Steensn, has there been any rumblings of this issue in Buckeye nation and if so when did it first come to light? The first time I heard about it was last night and all of a sudden these guys are suspended for five games. I'm a sports junkie who pretty much keeps up with everything and this caught me by surprise. You would think there would of been rumors and such earlier in the year, these rule infractions go back like three years.


I heard the rumblings 2-3 days ago.


Thanks. Pretty much kept under wraps, hard to believe in this day and age. No Wikileaks in Buckeye nation :lol:


It was generally believed to be false, so I didn't post it here.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
TheRealWags wrote:
So, are you saying that no team can suspend any of its players without the NCAAs sayso??? If so, WOW!! :shock:

I'm quite sure this 'activity' could fall under something like conduct detremental to the team, breaking team/school rules, etc.


JT has in the past suspended players without NCAA being involved. He put Claret, the next big college RB out for a year. I can't imagine they can't suspend them longer.. but I also fail to see why for him to be commendable in this that he HAS to suspend them longer. If he does, great, if not, it isn't his job to suspend them longer. Do you really see this as a big infraction? think it is disrespectful to sell those things, but not an infraction needing to punish the rest of the team this year. No competitive advantage was gained, so a next year suspension makes sense.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 4:28 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
Here is the explination of the bowl game allowance, take it for what it is worth:

Quote:
The twist is that all the players will be eligible for the upcoming Allstate Sugar Bowl matchup against Arkansas. According to Kevin Lennon, the NCAA's vice president of academic and membership affairs, the players are allowed to participate in the Sugar Bowl based on several factors, which include "the acknowledgment the student-athletes did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred."

From Ohio State's news release:
NCAA policy allows suspending withholding penalties for a championship or bowl game if it was reasonable at the time the student-athletes were not aware they were committing violations, along with considering the specific circumstances of each situation. In addition, there must not be any competitive advantage related to the violations, and the student-athletes must have eligibility remaining.
The policy for suspending withholding conditions for bowl games or NCAA championship competition recognizes the unique opportunity these events provide at the end of a season, and they are evaluated differently from a withholding perspective. In this instance, the facts are consistent with the established policy, Lennon said.

Hmmm. This seems like a very creative way for the NCAA to defer punishment.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith contends that the players were only specifically educated on the consequences of selling items in November 2009, after they had committed the violations. Players cannot sell items given to them by the university while still eligible, but they can sell them after their eligibility is up.

"We were not explicit with these young men that you could not resell items that we give you," Smith said. "We began to be more explicit in November 2009."

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
We should take a flyer on Herron if he comes out. He's a bruiser... will likely go round 3-4 at best.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 4:36 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
So, I guess one could ask, "Is Tressel in violation of not promoting an atmosphere of compliance?" The NCAA cited the players were unfamilar with the rules, isn't it the coaches responsibility to inform and teach the players of the rules? What is the difference between UofM infractions compared to this one besides one school it was the players and the other school it was the coach?

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


December 23rd, 2010, 4:56 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
It is one of those "We weren't told the coffee was hot and could scold me" deals. Do you really think they didn't know?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 5:05 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
You are darn right, they knew exactly what they were doing, just like Cam Newton knew what his dad was doing,. Pryor's HS coach is already coming out and defending him for his actions saying he did it to help his mom out. I guess you need to keep your violations in the six figure range and they won't touch you. The NCAA as I said earlier is a very hypocritical organization and what they do half the time doesn't make any sense but to themselves I guess.

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


December 23rd, 2010, 5:37 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
Go big or go home ;)

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 6:09 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
steensn wrote:
Why?


No clue, but I bet what you posted below that you found, may have something to do with it.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


December 23rd, 2010, 10:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.