View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 6:44 am



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!! 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
But, can Moch jump out of a swimming pool?


December 23rd, 2010, 7:04 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
I've seen him going in mocks in the 3rd round. He'll definitely jump up if he really does run a 4.25 at the combine. Now, there are a lot of guys who run fast times on fast tracks using their timers (see Florida Gators). I bet he'll test out well in the 40, but he won't be anywhere near 4.25. He might hit 4.4, and that's still blazing fast for a LB.

There are some good teams in the WAC and some good players, but I'm not sold on the records he's set as being proof positive that he can play. The draft is a crap shoot, and there are plenty of guys who win games, set records, test well, then wash out of the league after 3 or 4 years. It's not all about measurables and accolades, yet we as fans get excited when we see that 40 time. Would his straight-line speed be an asset in our 4-3? Can he cover RB's and TE's? Can he shed blocks? Does he hold at the point of attack? How is his contain?

_________________
Forward down the field!


December 23rd, 2010, 8:35 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
So, for the East-West Shrine game Dontay Moch is among the players there. He measured in at an Ernie Sims-like 6'1", 229 lbs. He played DE at Nevada. According to reports I've read, he looks completely lost playing LB in practice, and there's no way he can successfully work against top tier OTs that are at the practices. While he may be getting some second and third round love from the mock draft experts right now, I see this poor kid falling much farther unless he can prove his ability to adapt to the OLB spot for a 43 team, or unless he can gain about 30 pounds to be a rush OLB in a 34.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


January 22nd, 2011, 12:57 pm
Profile
Online
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2330
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
I'm gonna be keeping an eye on Hogue from 'Cuse and Lloyd from UConn. Hogue was pretty impressive at OLB after making the switch from RB just last year. It will be nice to see how Lloyd does now that he's back at his natural position in the middle. He's coming off an ACL injury last year and played out of position this year at DE.

Not to get off topic but also keep an eye on Delone Carter(RB) and Bartholomew(C) both from 'Cuse.


January 22nd, 2011, 1:27 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2296
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
m2karateman wrote:
So, for the East-West Shrine game Dontay Moch is among the players there. He measured in at an Ernie Sims-like 6'1", 229 lbs. He played DE at Nevada. According to reports I've read, he looks completely lost playing LB in practice, and there's no way he can successfully work against top tier OTs that are at the practices. While he may be getting some second and third round love from the mock draft experts right now, I see this poor kid falling much farther unless he can prove his ability to adapt to the OLB spot for a 43 team, or unless he can gain about 30 pounds to be a rush OLB in a 34.


Man. With the supposed speed he has at his current weight, Id almost rather see if he can be a Taylor mays type safety available in the Low rounds... or adding weight and an OLB, but yeah, theres no way he can play DE ..


January 22nd, 2011, 2:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
I've been watching some tape of available LB's for this draft in the 1st/2nd/3rd range, depending on the board of the team picking. There seems to be a consensus that Von Miller is the top LB in the draft, but where he fits is still somewhat debatable. I don't think he would have a problem plugging in at a 4-3 or a 3-4, but where he will be most effective is still up in the air. Then there is Akeem Ayers which seems to be the most polarizing prospect on this board. He is getting a first round grade from most scouts, and he falls into the range where the Lions could conceivably take him and not have to reach too much. Would he fit a position of need? Yes, but would be able to make a big impact? I don't know. His tackling form bothers me. He makes a lot of arm tackles and isn't the best pass rusher. He does play pretty well in space, and has been versatile in his years at UCLA. They played him as a nickel LB, a DE, and at OLB. Maybe he just needs some coaching up, but at 13 you would hope you don't have to do a total overhaul of the kids game.

The guys who I would like to see the Lions look at are Mason Foster and Martez Wilson. I've been more impressed with the tape I've seen of Foster then I have of Ayers. It looks like he reads and reacts quicker than Ayers and has just as good coverage skills. He also seemed to be a better form tackler. He has not been given that first round grade like Ayers, so he might be able to be had in the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how he runs. Wilson looks like a stud in the run game. The only problem with him is he might be too much of a 2 down thumper but he did have 4 PBU's this year. Perhaps he's coming around. If the Lions were to grab him, they would have to move Levy, which I don't know if they're going to do; they seem committed to him being the Mike for years to come. If they LB corp ended up being Foster Wilson Levy, it could be scary good for a number of years to come. Plus, these guys could be had in the 2nd and 3rd round. Grab a Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris (if we can trade down) and that D is looking real good.

_________________
Forward down the field!


Last edited by Wayne Fontes on February 9th, 2011, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.



February 9th, 2011, 11:10 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I've been watching some tape of available LB's for this draft in the 1st/2nd/3rd range, depending on the board of the team picking. There seems to be a consensus that Von Miller is the top LB in the draft, but where he fits is still somewhat debatable. I don't think he would have a problem plugging in at a 4-3 or a 3-4, but where he will be most effective is still up in the air. Then there is Akeem Ayers which seems to be the most polarizing prospect on this board. He is getting a first round grade from most scouts, and he falls into the range where the Lions could conceivably take him and not have to reach too much. Would he fit a position of need? Yes, but would be able to make a big impact? I don't know. His tackling form bothers me. He makes a lot of arm tackles and isn't the best pass rusher. He does play pretty well in space, and has been versatile in his years at UCLA. They played him as a nickel LB, a DE, and at OLB. Maybe he just needs some coaching up, but at 13 you would hope you don't have to do a total overhaul of the kids game.

The guys who I would like to see the Lions look at are Mason Foster[b] and Martez Wilson[/b]. I've been more impressed with the tape I've seen of Foster then I have of Ayers. It looks like he reads and reacts quicker than Ayers and has just as good coverage skills. He also seemed to be a better form tackler. He has not been given that first round grade like Ayers, so he might be able to be had in the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how he runs. Wilson looks like a stud in the run game. The only problem with him is he might be too much of a 2 down thumper but he did have 4 PBU's this year. Perhaps he's coming around. If the Lions were to grab him, they would have to move Levy, which I don't know if they're going to do; they seem committed to him being the Mike for years to come. If they LB corp ended up being Foster Wilson Levy, it could be scary good for a number of years to come. Plus, these guys could be had in the 2nd and 3rd round. Grab a Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris (if we can trade down) and that D is looking real good.


I agree with you, and that would be awesome having those 3 guys as our starting backers. But depending on how those guys look at the combine and other workouts, do you really thinks its possible to get both Wilson and Foster? I can definetely see getting one, but we'd have to be dang lucky to be able to get both, I would think.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 9th, 2011, 11:35 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Well sure, it would be quite a haul to get both, but pre-draft/pre-combine is a time full of hyperbole and hope. There are certain guys who will fall and certain guys who will rise. MLB's usually drop in the draft, for whatever reason, so Wilson could conceivably drop to the third, especially if Greg Jones and Quan Sturdivant have good pro days or combines. I don't know if Foster or Wilson will be second rounders. This is the time when it would be great to have more than just one pick in the second round.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 9th, 2011, 11:46 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3396
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Ya your right. This just proves once again that trading down is probably our best option.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 9th, 2011, 11:50 am
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Exactly. If they can trade down into the Smith/Harris range (20-25) they might be able to pick up an additonal second rounder, which could mean they could grab both of these linebackers.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 9th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: January 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Midland, MI
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Depending whose left on the board, Sparty's Greg Jones should get a look or two. IMO :idea:


February 9th, 2011, 12:22 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1087
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
kdsberman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I've been watching some tape of available LB's for this draft in the 1st/2nd/3rd range, depending on the board of the team picking. There seems to be a consensus that Von Miller is the top LB in the draft, but where he fits is still somewhat debatable. I don't think he would have a problem plugging in at a 4-3 or a 3-4, but where he will be most effective is still up in the air. Then there is Akeem Ayers which seems to be the most polarizing prospect on this board. He is getting a first round grade from most scouts, and he falls into the range where the Lions could conceivably take him and not have to reach too much. Would he fit a position of need? Yes, but would be able to make a big impact? I don't know. His tackling form bothers me. He makes a lot of arm tackles and isn't the best pass rusher. He does play pretty well in space, and has been versatile in his years at UCLA. They played him as a nickel LB, a DE, and at OLB. Maybe he just needs some coaching up, but at 13 you would hope you don't have to do a total overhaul of the kids game.

The guys who I would like to see the Lions look at are Mason Foster[b] and Martez Wilson[/b]. I've been more impressed with the tape I've seen of Foster then I have of Ayers. It looks like he reads and reacts quicker than Ayers and has just as good coverage skills. He also seemed to be a better form tackler. He has not been given that first round grade like Ayers, so he might be able to be had in the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how he runs. Wilson looks like a stud in the run game. The only problem with him is he might be too much of a 2 down thumper but he did have 4 PBU's this year. Perhaps he's coming around. If the Lions were to grab him, they would have to move Levy, which I don't know if they're going to do; they seem committed to him being the Mike for years to come. If they LB corp ended up being Foster Wilson Levy, it could be scary good for a number of years to come. Plus, these guys could be had in the 2nd and 3rd round. Grab a Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris (if we can trade down) and that D is looking real good.


I agree with you, and that would be awesome having those 3 guys as our starting backers. But depending on how those guys look at the combine and other workouts, do you really thinks its possible to get both Wilson and Foster? I can definetely see getting one, but we'd have to be dang lucky to be able to get both, I would think.



I think Miller fits on either side, has displayed the speed and quick twitch that could make him a load at weak side. Feel he will be gone by 13. Ayers has the size, speed and fluidity to play in space, and looks like a good prospect to play the sam. Problem is when I've seen him play, I just don't see any "mean" in his game, as well as your reference to his "tackling form" leaves me skeptical of him.
In regards to Wilson, I read one profile that said, "Impression: A long, V-cut linebacker who doesn't seem to have the lower body girth to hold up inside. However, he has some range in pursuit, reads his run keys well and exhibits some pass-rush ability. Could get some long looks as a potential 3-4 rush guy as well as strong side back in a 4-3."
I think Levy will be staying put a MLB. Feel the Lions have no doubts about his ability to fill that role. Wilson could be a great fit at sam.
I'm not as high on Foster. One game he's making all his tackles down field and by committee. then in another he's making plays behind the line of scrimmage. So I have my doubts. Maybe he just needs better coaching.


February 9th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Profile
Color Commentator - John Madden
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2007, 3:21 am
Posts: 1919
Location: A2
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
liontrax wrote:
Maybe he just needs better coaching.


That could very well be the case with Ayers too. I think that Foster might be closer to being a "finished product", although I don't like that term, than Ayers. Ayers is a JR and Foster is a SR. Plus, both are from underachieving Pac-10 teams. Take that for what it's worth.

_________________
Forward down the field!


February 9th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1087
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
Wayne Fontes wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Maybe he just needs better coaching.


That could very well be the case with Ayers too. I think that Foster might be closer to being a "finished product", although I don't like that term, than Ayers. Ayers is a JR and Foster is a SR. Plus, both are from underachieving Pac-10 teams. Take that for what it's worth.



At least with Foster you get proper tackling and attitude. Maybe what he lacks in athleticism, he makes up for with intensity.


February 9th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Mayhew, Draft this Linebacker!!!
The coaches and scouts were very high on Foster coming out of the Senior Bowl practices. Reports were that he showed great fluidity and flowed to the ball well, took on blockers and was good in coverage too.

Based on some of the things I'm hearing, Mason Foster may get late first round consideration from teams who need a 43 OLB. The fact that he can play inside as well boosts his stock.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


February 9th, 2011, 4:58 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.