View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Power Backs 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Power Backs
How'd Dayne fair in Denver and Houston? Sure, he had good YPC, but he was a simply a role player.

October 28th, 2010, 2:27 pm
RIP Killer

It's all about what you produce and for all the hype Dayne got he didn't get it done.

October 28th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Walk On

Our power back is a linebacker named Dontay Moch out of Nevada who's 6'1 245pds and get this runs a 4.25 in the 40 believe or not. Unless Al Davis take him as a 1st rd. pick.

December 21st, 2010, 1:51 am
RIP Killer

Mufasa wrote:
Our power back is a linebacker named Dontay Moch out of Nevada who's 6'1 245pds and get this runs a 4.25 in the 40 believe or not. Unless Al Davis take him as a 1st rd. pick.

So, you want the Lions to take a small school linebacker and make him a running back in the NFL? [-X :-k [-(

December 24th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

So, you want the Lions to take a small school linebacker and make him a running back in the NFL? [-X :-k [-(

Maybe you should read it as a joke, when u hear one or did you miss the last part about AL taking him the first round. I'm just impressed with his 40 time at that size.

December 27th, 2010, 12:18 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I'd be in favor of the Lions using a 3rd or 4th on a bruising running back... Just as long as his first name isn't Kevin.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

December 27th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Thought I'd revisit this since the prospects have been examined and their rankings are getting finalized. Lions still could use a nice power back to be the Thunder to Best's lightning. Criteria is any round, and they have to have the measurable of a nfl power back (at least 220 lbs around 6'). Exceptions made for lighter/shorter backs who play the power back role (See Ingram).

Name Position Height Wieght 40 Bench
Mark Ingram RB Alabama 5-09 215 4.62 21
I think Mark is the most overrated back. He's slippery and tough to tackle for sure, but seems pretty average as a prospect to me.

Mikel LeShoure RB Illinois 6-0 227 4.56 21
No. 1 back on my board. I think he has the running style, size and power to be not just a short yardage back, but to be the best every down back in this class.

DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma 6-0 213 4.37 21
Another feature back type, who has top end speed but can take contact and will punish defenders occasionally.

Daniel Thomas RB Kansas State 6-0 230 4.62 21
Big enough to take punishment, but doesn't like to dish it out. Classic 1 cut north south runner. Doesn't have a top gear but hard to argue with his ridiculous production.

Delone Carter RB Syracuse 5-09 222 4.54 27
Would be a perfect compliment to Best. He's a bowling ball who has that compact build with the lower body power you see in MJD and Ray Rice. True power back running style that will punish defenses and wear them out.

Jamie Harper RB Clemson 5-11 233 4.53 24
Another guy who relishes contact. He loves to punish tacklers. A bit too east-west as a runner, and would be in the conversation as a top back if his running style were more north-south.

Alex Green RB Hawaii 6-0 225 4.45 20
Plays more like a big speed back then a bruiser. But has the tools to be one. Needs to add power and mass in his lower body. Will have to transition to pro-style offense.

Allen Bradford RB USC 5-11 242 4.53 28
Another big compact back who fits the punisher mold. Pretty fast for his huge mass. A Tolbert clone?

Steven Ridley RB LSU 5-11 225 4.65 18
Looks like he could be a feature back at the next level, but there's red flags in his measurable's and depending on how you look at it, he's either a one hit wonder or a guy with low tread on the tires.

Anthony Allen RB GT 6-1 228 4.56 24
Excellent measurables to be a power back, but gets docked as a system player.

John Clay RB Wisconsin 6-1 230 4.83 N/A
Will go undrafted. Too many red flags. Superb offensive line gave gaping holes. Also, while I don't let measurables affect me, his 40 time in conjunction with his oline keeping him clean is enough to send all kinds of red flags.

Mario Fannin RB Auburn 5-10 231 4.37 21
Amazing measurables. Just plain underachieved in college. Shows flashes, but despite all signs pointing to how great he can be, just does not perform on a consistent basis.

April 18th, 2011, 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

I like Alex Green from Hawaii, He's like a poor man's Steven Jackson. He even have the dreds. Then we have Best, who's like a mini Chris Johnson. That would be a good one two punch, both can catch out the back field and have speed to break away in open field. But we should have taken Blount last year as Mr Irrelevant like I wanted and this wouldn't even be a discussion.

April 20th, 2011, 8:22 pm
RIP Killer

Mufasa wrote:
I like Alex Green from Hawaii, He's like a poor man's Steven Jackson. He even have the dreds. Then we have Best, who's like a mini Chris Johnson. That would be a good one two punch, both can catch out the back field and have speed to break away in open field. But we should have taken Blount last year as Mr Irrelevant like I wanted and this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Absolutely correct. The Lions were still holding out hope that Kevin Smith would be a serviceable back. I wanted the Lions to take him in the seventh round. I can't believe he went undrafted because he punch a guy that was taunting him. If the guy had done nothing and Blount just walked up and hit him, then I might feel differently. But the talent can't be denied.

April 21st, 2011, 12:21 pm
NFL Veteran

I don't think anyone could deny the talent. Blount was a certifiable first round pick prior to the punch that knocked him out of the draft. But I think that's why I'm more inclined to take these "character issue" guys instead of getting burned by being "safe."

Now there are some who just "ooze trouble," and it's not that hard to identify. See Pacman Jones and Dez Bryant... trouble just followed them everywhere. I could sense it on draft day with Pacman, and the whole issue with the Miami front office thing with Dez gave me the "problem with authority" vibe.

But I think my favorite guys are the one's who have question marks because we can get great prospects on the cheap.

April 21st, 2011, 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
Thought I'd revisit this since the prospects have been examined and their rankings are getting finalized. Lions still could use a nice power back to be the Thunder to Best's lightning. Criteria is any round, and they have to have the measurable of a nfl power back (at least 220 lbs around 6'). Exceptions made for lighter/shorter backs who play the power back role (See Ingram).

Name Position Height Wieght 40 Bench
Mark Ingram RB Alabama 5-09 215 4.62 21
I think Mark is the most overrated back. He's slippery and tough to tackle for sure, but seems pretty average as a prospect to me.

Mikel LeShoure RB Illinois 6-0 227 4.56 21
No. 1 back on my board. I think he has the running style, size and power to be not just a short yardage back, but to be the best every down back in this class.

DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma 6-0 213 4.37 21
Another feature back type, who has top end speed but can take contact and will punish defenders occasionally.

Daniel Thomas RB Kansas State 6-0 230 4.62 21
Big enough to take punishment, but doesn't like to dish it out. Classic 1 cut north south runner. Doesn't have a top gear but hard to argue with his ridiculous production.

Delone Carter RB Syracuse 5-09 222 4.54 27
Would be a perfect compliment to Best. He's a bowling ball who has that compact build with the lower body power you see in MJD and Ray Rice. True power back running style that will punish defenses and wear them out.

Jamie Harper RB Clemson 5-11 233 4.53 24
Another guy who relishes contact. He loves to punish tacklers. A bit too east-west as a runner, and would be in the conversation as a top back if his running style were more north-south.

Alex Green RB Hawaii 6-0 225 4.45 20
Plays more like a big speed back then a bruiser. But has the tools to be one. Needs to add power and mass in his lower body. Will have to transition to pro-style offense.

Allen Bradford RB USC 5-11 242 4.53 28
Another big compact back who fits the punisher mold. Pretty fast for his huge mass. A Tolbert clone?

Steven Ridley RB LSU 5-11 225 4.65 18
Looks like he could be a feature back at the next level, but there's red flags in his measurable's and depending on how you look at it, he's either a one hit wonder or a guy with low tread on the tires.

Anthony Allen RB GT 6-1 228 4.56 24
Excellent measurables to be a power back, but gets docked as a system player.

John Clay RB Wisconsin 6-1 230 4.83 N/A
Will go undrafted. Too many red flags. Superb offensive line gave gaping holes. Also, while I don't let measurables affect me, his 40 time in conjunction with his oline keeping him clean is enough to send all kinds of red flags.

Mario Fannin RB Auburn 5-10 231 4.37 21
Amazing measurables. Just plain underachieved in college. Shows flashes, but despite all signs pointing to how great he can be, just does not perform on a consistent basis.

I like Jamie Harper the best from your list. If he's there in the 5th.

April 22nd, 2011, 12:35 pm
Varsity Captain

Why waste a pick? Sign UFA legarrette Blount.

Nvm, that was my advice last year.

April 24th, 2011, 6:44 pm
Varsity Captain

Michael Bush should be available in free agency if they aren't able to find their guy in the later rounds of the draft.

April 26th, 2011, 1:25 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2