View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: OSU and Tattos
I don't think it's enforceable either.. but we will see how good these kids words are here soon enough.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 30th, 2010, 3:22 pm
RIP Killer

LionsFan4Life wrote:
More news on this... apparently Tressel made the offending players commit to coming back next season in order to play in the Sugar Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/s ... id=5970169

Wow... interesting... I think that this will show a lot about these kids.

December 30th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, it will steen!

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 30th, 2010, 5:21 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Hmm, seems to me that some peeps may be discounting how much a FREE EDUCATION is worth. These kids are getting paid, maybe not in cold, hard cash, but they're still getting paid. How much does a 4 year degree at OSU or MSU or UofM cost???

When you are talking about kids who are ONLY at OSU for football, then the education is worthless. For some, it is a huge opportunity, but those kids are not looking at the NFL as an opportunity. They are not the difference makers for the NCAA, they don't draw the crowds. Value isn't in what an education cost but what it is used for. It's like giving a billionaire a chevy F150. It's worth $20-$30k to most people, but to him or her it is worthless.

Sad to say, but that is the situation. They are only there because they want the ONLY stepping stone to the NFL. The NCAA is a development league, we all know that, let's not act like it is anything else for a LOT of these players. They get invested in nickles on the dollar by these institutions to make millions each each year.

"Ohio State football generated $60.8 million last year, finishing $28.5 million in the black" = nickles on the dollar.

Yes, WJB, hey get a benefit. But the benefit is NOT equal to the benefit to OSU, not even close.

December 30th, 2010, 5:21 pm
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:
More news on this... apparently Tressel made the offending players commit to coming back next season in order to play in the Sugar Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/s ... id=5970169

Wow... interesting... I think that this will show a lot about these kids.

Like 2 seconds after the fat lady sings after the Sugar bowl. Let's see how many of them say, I am going pro. Of course, they might wait until they are back in Columbus for fear of Tressel leaving them at the bowl game. LOL.

December 30th, 2010, 8:39 pm
RIP Killer

Well see Billy but all that stuff is just rumors. Tressel is not the type of guy to just jet because of a little incident like this. If he was going to retire he was going to retire... he's not a Urban Meyer.

December 30th, 2010, 9:38 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

steensn wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Hmm, seems to me that some peeps may be discounting how much a FREE EDUCATION is worth. These kids are getting paid, maybe not in cold, hard cash, but they're still getting paid. How much does a 4 year degree at OSU or MSU or UofM cost???

When you are talking about kids who are ONLY at OSU for football, then the education is worthless. For some, it is a huge opportunity, but those kids are not looking at the NFL as an opportunity. They are not the difference makers for the NCAA, they don't draw the crowds. Value isn't in what an education cost but what it is used for. It's like giving a billionaire a chevy F150. It's worth $20-$30k to most people, but to him or her it is worthless.

Sad to say, but that is the situation. They are only there because they want the ONLY stepping stone to the NFL. The NCAA is a development league, we all know that, let's not act like it is anything else for a LOT of these players. They get invested in nickles on the dollar by these institutions to make millions each each year.

"Ohio State football generated $60.8 million last year, finishing $28.5 million in the black" = nickles on the dollar.

Yes, WJB, hey get a benefit. But the benefit is NOT equal to the benefit to OSU, not even close.

Yeah but Steens.....doesn't all that coaching and skill building count as free education as well. Lets face it, college ball is still training for a future career...the same as an engineer taking classes. And they still get a free ride to take that education lesson. These kids need to be patient...if football is going to be their career, they WILL get paid! if it's not then who's fault is it that they ignored the rest of their education?

December 31st, 2010, 1:27 pm
RIP Killer

It would be the same, but when I got my engineering degree I also worked as an engineer making $25-$35k a year. There was and is no stipulation that everyone else getting trained in their profession has to keep an "amateur" status. I wasn't patient, I didn't wait... and I didn't have to. Why do they have to?

December 31st, 2010, 5:06 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

steensn wrote:
It would be the same, but when I got my engineering degree I also worked as an engineer making $25-$35k a year. There was and is no stipulation that everyone else getting trained in their profession has to keep an "amateur" status. I wasn't patient, I didn't wait... and I didn't have to. Why do they have to?

Cuz you paid for your schooling,.....they are gettin it free!

December 31st, 2010, 5:09 pm
RIP Killer

I got some of it paid for and I know many people who got full rides and worked while in school. Again, it is the same thing only they are not allowed to get paid because of a GOOD rule to make sure they are picking schools to make bank. All my point is is that a small amount should be allowed just like it is possible for anyone else spending 20+ hours a week working. Only difference is that the work they put in brings the university millions of dollars and mine MAYBE paid for my salary at the place I worked.

December 31st, 2010, 5:14 pm
steensn wrote:
I got some of it paid for and I know many people who got full rides and worked while in school. Again, it is the same thing only they are not allowed to get paid because of a GOOD rule to make sure they are picking schools to make bank. All my point is is that a small amount should be allowed just like it is possible for anyone else spending 20+ hours a week working. Only difference is that the work they put in brings the university millions of dollars and mine MAYBE paid for my salary at the place I worked.

Steen, what you received from OSU and what the football team receives from OSU are two entirely different things. You really can't compare the two in terms of resources given, resources received, and opportunities available.

January 3rd, 2011, 3:40 am
RIP Killer

And this is where the opinion comes in, don't think it is equal to the time and effort these kids put in and what the university receives. The big time kids bring in a 30+ million dollar PROFIT to the University... and get less than 20-30k a year.

January 3rd, 2011, 11:21 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

First off, education is NEVER worthless and if anyone thinks so, then try going without it for a while :wink:

Now is it possible that most of these athletes don't know how good they have it? Yup, but that doesn't mean they don't have it good. I know that I would have loved the chance to go to a 4-year top rated university/college for FREE not too mention the FREE coaching and training, but alas I couldn't afford even Jr College and ended up in the military.

Let's see, 4 years at 20-30k = 80-120k hmmm...that seems like a pretty good salary for an average 18-24 yr old don't ya think? and that's not including the top notch coaching and training received during those 4 years.

Of course, if this isn't enough money for these "poor" students, they can drop out of college and get "real" jobs...

All in all though we will probably not see eye-to-eye on this and will just have to agree to disagree (like so many other topics :wink: )

January 3rd, 2011, 11:50 am
TheRealWags wrote:

and that's not including the top notch coaching and training received during those 4 years.

This is the most annoying part of Steens argument to me. OSU is paying a weight trainer, medical staff, doctors, coaches, assistant coaches, position coaches, etc. Not to mention publicists, P.R. representatives, and providing a media outlet... and the school enters all of their students (figuratively) in a lottery to be a millionaire... And this all comes into play in spite of the fact that these kids would likely do it for their own egos for FREE, just to play the competitive sport that they love. Remember, the soccer team, swimming team, track team, etc. all make the same sacrifices, if not more, and have little to nothing to gain out of the end-game of it all...

These kids are far from being taken advantage of. Ask Matt Stafford or Sam Bradford, or even James Laurenitus for that matter, if they were taken advantage of. They're all millionaires at this point. The school made $20-30 million per year and created millionaires out of 20-30% of the graduating (or leaving cast). Seems fair to me...

January 3rd, 2011, 12:15 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

First off, education is NEVER worthless and if anyone thinks so, then try going without it for a while :wink:

Now is it possible that most of these athletes don't know how good they have it? Yup, but that doesn't mean they don't have it good. I know that I would have loved the chance to go to a 4-year top rated university/college for FREE not too mention the FREE coaching and training, but alas I couldn't afford even Jr College and ended up in the military.

Let's see, 4 years at 20-30k = 80-120k hmmm...that seems like a pretty good salary for an average 18-24 yr old don't ya think? and that's not including the top notch coaching and training received during those 4 years.

Of course, if this isn't enough money for these "poor" students, they can drop out of college and get "real" jobs...

All in all though we will probably not see eye-to-eye on this and will just have to agree to disagree (like so many other topics :wink: )

It's not about how good they have it, I would have loved the same as well. It is about what they have earned...

January 3rd, 2011, 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 68  Next