View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Position by Position Breakdown 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Position by Position Breakdown
plach1jm wrote:
Point taken. But if the lions don't want that contract I can't see any other teams that would.

Anyone know if it is just salary? If so, isn't it his last year? If so we can just drop it and it is gone...

January 1st, 2011, 10:11 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Concerning Peterson's contract, M2K was correct earlier. The Lions would owe him nothing if he were released. All of his bonus money was due the first three years and was paid by the Seahawks. As a result, they took the cap hit when he was traded to the Lions. Right now, the only things remaining on his contract are a $8M salary in 2011 and a $8.5M salary in 2012.

January 1st, 2011, 11:13 am
RIP Killer

plach1jm, you have to remember that the folks on here, including me, saying to get rid of Julian Peterson is predicated on two things: how much money he is due to be paid, and the idea that he will not re-negotiate that deal. Now, in years past with other teams when he refused to redo his contracts (once with San Francisco and another time with Seattle) he was playing at a much higher level. He was not just racking up tackles, he was an impact player, capable in all aspects (tackling, coverage and blitzing), which made him so attractive to either 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme using teams.

I would prefer that the Lions were able to convince him (and his bloodsucking agent) that he won't get paid as much money anywhere else, and to redo his deal. Were I the Lions, I would add two more years, make his average salary each year about 4 million, and add some bonus money to be prorated over those four years. He'd get a long term commitment, some bonus money paid immediately and would allow the Lions to reduce his impact on their salary cap.

Personally, I don't think Peterson wants to stay here in Detroit. It seems to me (and others) that he just isn't too gung-ho about playing here, doesn't seem all that enamored with the team or coaching staff, and by all accounts would rather play elsewhere, likely for a teaming contending for a SuperBowl now, or far more likely to in 2011. I fully expect the Lions to sit down with Peterson, ask him to redo his contract, him and his agent to refuse, and then the Lions giving him an outright release. Were I the Lions, I wouldn't release him until the day before the season starts and screw him over for being an a**hole, but that's just me. In truth, if the Lions were forced to release him, I'd wait until after the draft so I'd know exactly what players we were able to pick, and then make further free agent signings accordingly. It would also mean Peterson doesn't get paid as well either, since contracts extended to free agents after the draft tend not to be as long or lucrative. It would serve him right for forcing his way out of Detroit.

In the end, per what sly had to say about the Lions cap situation, they may be forced to rid themselves of Peterson because of his salary, even if they were willing to keep him at that rate. If the cap doesn't increase all that much, and a new CBA is reached which includes a rookie wage scale, then that means FA contracts will likely be increased in value and make it even harder for the Lions to sign quality FA players.

If I'm the Lions I also speak to a number of other players about redoing their deals, starting with Stephen Peterman (after JP). He hasn't done anything the past two seasons to justify the contract he was given. I'd also want to have some serious discussions with a few other players too. If some of these guys are serious about wanting to win, and change this team into a contender, now is the time to put up or shut up.

January 2nd, 2011, 2:14 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I agree with M2k here.

There are quite a few decent FA linebackers that will be available this off season. Use the $8M on one of them.

January 2nd, 2011, 3:41 am
Team MVP

I agree with M2K also. Well said.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 2nd, 2011, 9:32 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Now that the Lions have the #13 pick and not a top 5 pick, they won't be AS burdened with the salary of the rookie who comes in. Having the money from JP's contract, plus not having to pay top 5 money, the Lions are going to be in a good spot when it comes to signing a FA. They can utilize the JP money more effectively now that there isn't the Albatross of the 1st rounder.

January 5th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6