View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 2:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 RR Gone? 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: RR Gone?
The Legend wrote:
Free press now saying Harbaugh not coming to Ann Arbor

http://www.freep.com/article/20110103/S ... aching-job

This article is written by Rosenberg who's had a hard on and agenda against UofM athletics the last few years. I didn't read the article in its entirity but I did not see any sources named so this all could be speculation on his part like all the other pundits who are blowing hot air right now. Need to sell newspapers and fill those airwaves up with all the 24/7 news cycle these days. Then this could be posturing from Harbaugh's camp to fuel the negotiating process and to increase his leverage like he really needs it. I think Jim Harbaugh is the only guy who knows what he is going to do and all of us should know by the end of the week.

January 4th, 2011, 9:39 am
grgrundge wrote:
The Legend wrote:

This article is written by Rosenberg who's had a hard on and agenda against UofM athletics the last few years. I didn't read the article in its entirity but I did not see any sources named so this all could be speculation on his part like all the other pundits who are blowing hot air right now. Need to sell newspapers and fill those airwaves up with all the 24/7 news cycle these days. Then this could be posturing from Harbaugh's camp to fuel the negotiating process and to increase his leverage like he really needs it. I think Jim Harbaugh is the only guy who knows what he is going to do and all of us should know by the end of the week.

I think the first offer of $5mill + gets him...

January 4th, 2011, 12:03 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
grgrundge wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I think the first offer of $5mill + gets him...

You could be right, might have to get to the Mack Brown salary range to have any chance in nabbing him.

January 4th, 2011, 12:05 pm
Modmin Dude

FWIW
ESPN wrote:
Jim Harbaugh likely not headed to Michigan
January, 4, 2011 Jan 410:26AM ET
By Adam Rittenberg

We're going to find out a lot about Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon in the coming hours and days.

Brandon's seemingly obvious move with Michigan football -- to fire coach Rich Rodriguez and hire Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh -- appears to be off the board. Colleague Chris Mortensen reports that Harbaugh is more likely to remain at Stanford or take an NFL job than return to his alma mater.

One theory behind Brandon's decision to wait until after Michigan's bowl game to determine Rodriguez's future was he'd be able to pursue Harbaugh after Stanford's appearance in the Discover Orange Bowl on Monday night. The AD appears to be losing the waiting game, as Rodriguez and Michigan's recruits deal with uncertainty and Michigan is now competing with several NFL teams for top coaches.

My belief all along is Michigan should only fire Rodriguez if it could land Harbaugh. The program likely will backslide after a coaching change, and it needs someone to keep fans' spirits high about the future. Harbaugh is that man.

Michigan's horrific bowl performance makes it much more difficult to bring back Rodriguez, a gifted coach but one who hasn't shown the necessary improvement in Ann Arbor. While I still think Michigan can retain Rodriguez and clean house on the defensive staff, most fans wouldn't be pleased.

If Michigan fires Rodriguez, where should it turn? Les Miles? Brady Hoke? Gary Patterson? After watching Patterson last week at the Rose Bowl, I think he'd be a tremendous hire for Michigan, but we'll see what happens.

Stay tuned.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... o-michigan

January 4th, 2011, 12:21 pm
I would only fire Rodriguez if we can land Les Miles, Gary Patterson, or Jim. I'd prefer just meeting JH at his asking price and paying him the $5-5.5 per and be done with it. Honestly, I think the guy is kind of a d-head, but he has the confidence/arrogance, drive, and reputation to turn this team around. I think JH would be happy with a 3 year deal. Bring him in to turn the team around, pay him a boat load of cash, leave the program in a good state, and look for or groom his replacement.

January 4th, 2011, 12:52 pm
RIP Killer

JH is the bomb... he took an awful Stanford team and turned them into one of the best in the country this year... dude has earned a reputation you can't buy. Kids WILL play for him and he will get the recruits needed to turn UM around.

January 4th, 2011, 1:12 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
JH is the bomb... he took an awful Stanford team and turned them into one of the best in the country this year... dude has earned a reputation you can't buy. Kids WILL play for him and he will get the recruits needed to turn UM around.

He also had the best QB since P. Manning to help him out. Too bad a great coach like that won't go to a sinking UofM program. Remember when they used to be good, reminds me of what happened to UofM's bball program or Notre Dames football programs. Crying shame.

January 4th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Yeah, whom he recruited! Without Luck he certainly would not have had the same success though. He won with his guys, increasing his winning % each year as he got his recruits in.

January 4th, 2011, 1:49 pm
Modmin Dude

NFL wrote:
Stanford's Harbaugh quietly emerges as Dolphins candidate
By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Jan. 4, 2011 at 09:35 a.m

League sources expect the Miami Dolphins to make a push to hire Stanford University coach and former NFL quarterback Jim Harbaugh as the Dolphins' next head coach.

The Dolphins have had multiple conversations with Harbaugh about the position, according to a league source.

Harbaugh will begin exploring his coaching options now with Stanford's season complete, and the process is not expected to take long. The University of Michigan, San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos are among the teams that want him, but the Dolphins are quietly evaluating him as well, according to sources.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, along with close friend and adviser Carl Peterson, was at the Orange Bowl Monday night, where Harbaugh coached fifth-ranked Stanford to a convincing 40-12 victory over No. 12 Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

The Dolphins have yet to make any statement on Tony Sparano's future. However, an NFL source told NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche that it will be "hard for Sparano to survive" with the Dolphins. The question now is more about general manager Jeff Ireland's status.

Sparano, who has directed the Dolphins to consecutive 7-9 records after an 11-5 mark in 2008, met with Ross on Monday. Behind the scenes, the Dolphins are trying to determine if they can land a higher profile coach who might be a better fit and play more attractive offensive football.

Harbaugh fits that description and, unlike some other big-name candidates, would not need to bring his own personnel people with him. Harbaugh has some ties to Ireland and likely would be more willing to work with him than he would be some of the less-established entities in the front office in Denver and San Francisco.

Harbaugh also could work with Miami defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, whose unit is coming off a strong performance there.

The Dolphins have not been linked prominently with Harbaugh but there is reason to believe this could come together.

Furthermore, Sparano has been given no timetable as to when a decision on his future with the Dolphins will be made following his talks with ownership and management, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

"That's open-ended right now," the source said.

Harbaugh spent the past week in South Florida as Stanford prepared for the Orange Bowl and has been approached by the Dolphins, according to the source.

It is also worth noting that Ross, who attended the Orange Bowl, is a huge donor to Michigan and like Harbaugh is a Michigan graduate. He is well aware of Harbaugh's accomplishments in football on the field and as a coach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -candidate

January 4th, 2011, 2:29 pm
Modmin Dude

Official that RichRod gone?
Quote:
RT @FOX2News Rich Rodriguez is no longer the Head Coach at the University of Michigan.

http://twitter.com/#!/sbnationdetroit/s ... 7420333056

EDIT: I have been unable to find any more info on this......yet

January 4th, 2011, 3:38 pm
Modmin Dude

Fox Sports Detroit wrote:
RichRod reportedly fired

Rich Rodriguez's tenure as Michigan's football coach is over.

Rodriguez met with athletic director Dave Brandon on Tuesday afternoon for his much-anticipated end-of-season job review and was fired, according to our affiliate station, FOX 2 News in Detroit.

Rodriguez, who went 15-22 in three years with the Wolverines, came to Michigan from West Virginia with a reputation as a great offensive mind. But an inept defense led to his downfall.

Now that Rodriguez is out, what's next?

From the viewpoint of Michigan's fan base, this has turned into a pass or fail for Brandon: Hire Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, a former Wolverines quarterback, or fail.

And, according to some reports, hiring Harbaugh has become the unlikely scenario.

Instead, Harbaugh could be headed to the NFL, possibly the San Francisco 49ers, although this is one of those roller-coaster stories that still needs to play out.

So, if it's not Harbaugh, the next most logical replacement appears to be San Diego State's Brady Hoke, a former Michigan assistant.

That's going to be a huge letdown for the Wolverines faithful, who desperately wanted the favorite son, Harbaugh.

Harbaugh is the home run to them. Hoke will seem like little more than a single to left field.

Harbaugh, 47, has risen rapidly, taking Stanford from 1-11 to 12-1 in four years, to become the hottest coaching candidate around.

Stanford desperately wants to keep him. The 49ers aren't the only NFL team reportedly interested. So are Denver and perhaps Miami.

And, of course, Michigan has been an obvious option. Harbaugh is widely viewed as the Wolverines' savior.

It really is amazing what a difference one year can make in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world of sports. Go back 12 months. Stanford's defense looked a lot like Michigan's defense at the time. Seriously.

The Wolverines gave up 27.5 points and 393 yards per game in 2009; Stanford allowed 26.5 points and 403 yards.

Harbaugh went out and hired Vic Fangio as his defensive coordinator. Fangio was the Baltimore Ravens' linebacker coach and a special assistant to the head coach, who happens to be John Harbaugh, Jim's brother. Fangio previously had been a defensive coordinator in the NFL with the Texans, Colts and Panthers.

Fangio completely transformed Stanford's defense in just a season. The Cardinal ranked No. 22 in total defense and No. 11 in points allowed (17.8 points per game) entering its 40-12 Orange Bowl rout of Virginia Tech.

Fangio helped turn Harbaugh into the finished product who's now in such high demand.

Meanwhile, over in Ann Arbor, Rodriguez remained under fire because his defense continued to regress under Greg Robinson, in his second year as the defensive coordinator.

The Wolverines, statistically, ranked among the 10-20 worst defenses in the nation this season. Michigan gave up an alarming 137 points while losing its final three games to Wisconsin, Ohio State and Mississippi State to finish 7-6 after a 5-0 start.

Jan. 4, 2010

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/01/04/1 ... eedID=3706

January 4th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Modmin Dude

Here's a little more:
ESPN wrote:
Updated: January 4, 2011, 2:46 PM ET
Rich Rodriguez fired, report says
ESPN.com news services

Michigan has fired football coach Rich Rodriguez after his third season ended with a school-record 38-point loss in the Gator Bowl, Fox 2 TV in Detroit is reporting.

The report comes after Rodriguez met with athletic director Dave Brandon earlier Tuesday.

Members of the football team are scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, according to another report out of Ann Arbor.

Michigan's Gator Bowl loss to Mississippi State knocked Rodriguez's overall record to 15-22 with college football's winningest program.

Michigan will owe the coach $2.5 million to buy out the final three years of his contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5988308

January 4th, 2011, 3:53 pm

As expected. Now we will find out if Brandon does the right thing or takes the path of Bill Martin and sets this program farther back then it is now.

January 4th, 2011, 3:53 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Wait, so you're telling me he got two more wins than Rich Rod playing in a significantly worse conference and a longer schedule? Holy poop, get this man to Ann Arbor right now!

Yes, every cannidate has flaws, but Brady Hoke is in no way qualified to coach here. I understand the Michigan traditions and would come cheap, does that make me qualified for the job?

You may know the traditions but how is a 9-4 season longer than a 7-6 season. Based on your mathematical prowess you probably shouldnt be hired for anything and would never now when to go for 2, call timeouts, etc. Besides that your simplistic argument of 7-6 vs 9-4 record is flawed. I guess you are ignoring that SDSU was 2-10 the year before Hoke was hired or that the team had only won 9 games in the 3 seasons before he was hired. SDSU is not a football powerhouse while Michigan was and the squad Rodriguez took over won 9 games the year before a total Rich Rod didnt get to until his 3rd season. Worse conference yes Ill give you that but Hoke's SDSU squad nearly took down Missouri and TCU on the road and also had a tough loss to Utah at home all teams that in the recent past had been blowing out SDSU.

Quote:
And you can't just throwout his losing record. The man had 4 consective under .500 seasons at Ball State, before finally have one good season (also, please note that the following season Ball State went 2-10 perhaps indicating that the outcome of the 2008 season was entirely luck).

Really you cant? Well go look up Auburn's Gene Chizik and his 5-19 career record at Iowa State before he got hired at Auburn. You obviously havent followed but Auburn is undefeated and playing for a title this year. Sometimes its not about the top resume but the perfect fit for the university and in this was Hoke is a lot like Chizik but actually has a much better resume.

Quote:
He has a 12-1 season with Ball State and a 9-4 season with SDSU. His other 6 seasons of coaching have been terrible. If you choose to fire Rich Rod now, then this becomes a critical hire. If you screwup this hire, you risk knocking the program forever out of elite program status and becoming a has-been joke like Notre Dame. I, and I think all other rational football fans, would prefer to keep Rich Rod over bringing in Brady Hoke.

Notre Dame is a joke? That is beyond a bold statement. Brian Kelly is one of the best coaches in college football and will have that team playing for a championship in the next 5 seasons. I agree that this is a critical hire but the UM program isnt going anywhere with Richrod and keeping him any longer is totally irrational. I cannot respect anyone who would agree with you on that one. I have no idea what you have against Brady Hoke but he is a far better teacher and a far more knowledgeable coach than Rich Rodriguez and beyond that a far better fit in the Midwest. RichRod is a nice man and I wish him the best in the future his offense is fun to watch but its definitely time to go.

January 4th, 2011, 7:03 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
You may know the traditions but how is a 9-4 season longer than a 7-6 season

Looking at the schedule, I thought for some reason the 9-4 season didn't include the bowl. My bad.

So, if we follow typical Michigan tradition, which is to discount bowl wins (both Bo and Lloyd had losing records in bowls), then he went 8-4. Wow, one more win than Rich Rod this season. Again, get this man to Ann Arbor pronto!

Quote:
I guess you are ignoring that SDSU was 2-10 the year before Hoke was hired or that the team had only won 9 games in the 3 seasons before he was hired. SDSU is not a football powerhouse while Michigan was and the squad Rodriguez took over won 9 games the year before a total Rich Rod didnt get to until his 3rd season. Worse conference yes Ill give you that but Hoke's SDSU squad nearly took down Missouri and TCU on the road and also had a tough loss to Utah at home all teams that in the recent past had been blowing out SDSU.

Rich Rod inherited a bad team (lost to App St, blown out by Oregon, most of the premier talent left for the NFL) with personnel directly opposite the type he needed to run his scheme which he was hired to install. I really don't want to get into that, because its kind of off topic and its been debated to death already, so I'll just leave it at that.

So your argument is that Hoke is not a terrible coach--he's a mediocre one. Wow, is that what Michigan has become? You're mediocre and you have ties to Ann Arbor, you get the job? Then we are no longer a national power, and as I said, we won't beat OSU for 20 years.

If you're going to hire a small school coach--something I'm not opposed to--you hire the best. You hire a Jim Tressel. You hire a Brian Kelly. Guys that won numerous championships and had way more wins than losses.

You don't hire a guy who's sub .500, who wallowed in crappiness in the MAC for five years before actually doing something, and who turned a bad SDSU team into a mediocre SDSU team.

Quote:
Really you cant? Well go look up Auburn's Gene Chizik and his 5-19 career record at Iowa State before he got hired at Auburn. You obviously havent followed but Auburn is undefeated and playing for a title this year. Sometimes its not about the top resume but the perfect fit for the university and in this was Hoke is a lot like Chizik but actually has a much better resume.

Whether or not Chizik had a worse resume than Hoke is debatle. Chizik struggled at Iowa St, but was a major part of Texas during the VY era. Anyway, its irrelevant. One example doesn't prove anything. There are always exceptions.

Quote:
Notre Dame is a joke? That is beyond a bold statement. Brian Kelly is one of the best coaches in college football and will have that team playing for a championship in the next 5 seasons. I agree that this is a critical hire but the UM program isnt going anywhere with Richrod and keeping him any longer is totally irrational. I cannot respect anyone who would agree with you on that one. I have no idea what you have against Brady Hoke but he is a far better teacher and a far more knowledgeable coach than Rich Rodriguez and beyond that a far better fit in the Midwest. RichRod is a nice man and I wish him the best in the future his offense is fun to watch but its definitely time to go.

Rich Rod's resume coming into Ann Arbor 3 years ago was about a million times more impressive than Brady Hoke's resume is today. And yes, Rich Rod has done a piss poor job, but who knows that Hoke wouldn't do worse? Hoke has no experience coaching in an AQ conference. You cannot assert that he's a better coach than RR, he's done nothing to prove it. In terms of people agreeing with me, mogoblog.com (the premier Michigan Football blog on the internet) agrees with me wholehartedly.

As for ND, I agree that they're on the right track. What I meant is for the last 15 years or so they've done nothing noteworthy and have wallowed in mediocrity living in the shadow of their reputation. If Michigan fails to find the right guy this time around, we're doomed to the same fate.

Quote:
I have no idea what you have against Brady Hoke but he is a far better teacher and a far more knowledgeable coach than Rich Rodriguez and beyond that a far better fit in the Midwest.

I have nothing against Brady Hoke at all. Hoke is perhaps a slightly above average college coach. But I don't want that here. I want the best. (Its more likely that you have a bias--against non "Michigan man" coaches)

Maybe he's a better fit for the Midwest, whatever that even means, I don't know. But I do that he is no way a better coach than RR. Or at least, he has not done anything to prove it.

Who has a better overall record? RR
Who has more bowl appearances? RR
Who has more BCS bowl appearances? RR
Who has put more players in the NFL? RR
Who has consistently played in more difficult conferences? RR

I cannot think of a single category in which Hoke is better than RR. Except work experience with Lloyd Carr. Hoke wins that one.

January 4th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next