View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 12:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Crabtree's Holdout 
Pro Bowl Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I still think that they'll get a deal worked out with San Fran this season, but if not Crabtree won't be able to command millions of dollars after the first round, and he's simply too good to pass on in the second round for teams that are despirate at WR.

This is more or less what I figured would happen. I'm really surprised that he didn't get more cash, and kudos to SF for not caving in and giving it to him!

I agree. It's great to see a team tell a new player what's going to happen rather than what the rookie tell the team by holding out. No rookie should ever be able to do that.

That being said, San Fran was helped by where Crabtree was picked. Nobody in the league was going to support a receiver at #10 getting more than one taken at #7 or wherever Heward-Bey was chosen.

October 7th, 2009, 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Footsoldier32 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I still think that they'll get a deal worked out with San Fran this season, but if not Crabtree won't be able to command millions of dollars after the first round, and he's simply too good to pass on in the second round for teams that are despirate at WR.

This is more or less what I figured would happen. I'm really surprised that he didn't get more cash, and kudos to SF for not caving in and giving it to him!

I agree. It's great to see a team tell a new player what's going to happen rather than what the rookie tell the team by holding out. No rookie should ever be able to do that.

That being said, San Fran was helped by where Crabtree was picked. Nobody in the league was going to support a receiver at #10 getting more than one taken at #7 or wherever Heward-Bey was chosen.

That's not necessarily true... There is support for someone getting the same salary as someone drafted higher than they were at the same position... Matt Lienart comes to mind... Though it wasn't the same position I think Reggie Bush did a very similar thing. I don't think it is limited to the Rb/Qb spot either... but rather, more of a position... "they took X, my guy is better than X, don't punish me because they drafted poorly... PAY ME!!!" seems to be the mentality.

October 8th, 2009, 5:34 am
RIP Killer

I hope Crabtree breaks his leg the first time he steps out onto the field. After all the bad press coming out of Cleveland, and now this, I have concluded that this guy is a tool and doesn't deserve the privelege of playing in the NFL.

October 8th, 2009, 8:27 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

PFT wrote:
Crabtree will never see $40 million over six years
Posted by Mike Florio on October 15, 2009 10:53 AM ET
We've picked up some more details regarding the Michael Crabtree contract, which has been characterized as having a maximum value of $40 million over six years.

And, as expected, Crabtree will never earn $40 million over six years, because if he does enough to earn the $8 million in year-six escalators he also will have done enough to void the sixth year.

Still, the contents of the "superescalator" package (as the NFLPA is describing it) are remarkable. On three occasions in the first five years of the deal: (1) Crabtree must participate in 80 percent of the snaps on offense; (2) Crabtree must qualify for the Pro Bowl; (3) the 49ers must win 14 games; and (4) Crabtree must be named Super Bowl MVP.

Three times in five years.

And, actually, it's three times in four years, because there's no way he'll participate in 80 percent of the snaps this year.

Meanwhile, two Pro Bowls in four years will wipe out the sixth year of the deal.

As one source said, "Why bother even putting the $8 million escalator in the contract?"

The answer is simple. Because it introduces the figure of $40 million into the conversation regarding the deal, which will help agent Eugene Parker persuade future recruits that he wanted a $40 million deal for Crabtree -- and that he got it.

Also, we're told that a whopping $15 million in escalators hinge upon 90-percent participation in all voluntary offseason workouts, which is part of what some are calling the "diva clause."

Moreover, of the $17 million in guaranteed money, $6.395 of it is guaranteed for injury only.
So if the 49ers decide that Crabtree is a bust, they can avoid more than $10 million in supposedly guaranteed cash.

Bottom line? The raw dollars in the deal are good -- if Crabtree sticks around long enough to get them. If he doesn't perform well or if he doesn't fully commit to the offseason program each and every year, the financial exposure reduces dramatically.

Basically, this allows Eugene Parker to tell college kids that he got $40M for the 10th pick in the draft, when he technically didn't. I just hope that most future draft picks see through his bullshit and won't hire him.

October 15th, 2009, 11:59 am
Post Re:
slybri19 wrote:
Basically, this allows Eugene Parker to tell college kids that he got $40M for the 10th pick in the draft, when he technically didn't. I just hope that most future draft picks see through his bullshit and won't hire him.

Sly, look at the bigger picture though... BMW got what?... $25 Million, with much less guaranteed for the same draft slot? Looking at the deal in total, given the talent and ego of the player, and given what talented egomaniacs love (challenges that other people don't think they'll meet) it seems like a good contract for all. Obviously Crabtree thinks highly of himself, and he likely wanted that contract with those seemingly ridiculously high escalators. The team had built in protections for its end, and Crabtree thinks he can reasonably meet his end of the deal.

And for both teams... Who cares is one part of the K voids the other? If a 6th year is voided due to fulfilling the escalators the Crabtree will be a top 10 WR, he'll get paid like a top 10 WR, and it becomes a non-issue/benefit for Crabtree. I don't see this is a "gotcha" to Crabtree/Eugene Parker, I see it more of a reasonable deal that does allow Parker to promote himself.

I can't stand most of the "high powered" sports agents, and he's one that I would put into the people I hate category, as well as Drew Rosenhous (Sp?), and Scott Borez (Sp?)... but they must be doing something right...

January 4th, 2011, 1:34 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Crabtree's Holdout
Wow...

January 4th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Modmin Dude

From a year and a half ago? Really? :confused: ](*,)

January 4th, 2011, 1:58 pm
TheRealWags wrote:

I think Sly likes the CBA, salary cap, player contracts, and clauses more than he likes the actual game of football! Are you really surprised?

January 4th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

I think Sly likes the CBA, salary cap, player contracts, and clauses more than he likes the actual game of football! Are you really surprised?

That may be, but YOU were the one to resurrect this thread :wink:

January 4th, 2011, 2:23 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

That may be, but YOU were the one to resurrect this thread :wink:

Ha... It was still on the first page, and for some reason showed up as being "unread," don't know how that happened. I thought his post was new...

January 4th, 2011, 2:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

lol. blast from the past. \:D/

January 4th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4