View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 12:03 am



Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Crabtree's Holdout 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: March 6th, 2006, 1:29 am
Posts: 2490
Location: The Terrordome
Post 
Footsoldier32 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I still think that they'll get a deal worked out with San Fran this season, but if not Crabtree won't be able to command millions of dollars after the first round, and he's simply too good to pass on in the second round for teams that are despirate at WR.


This is more or less what I figured would happen. I'm really surprised that he didn't get more cash, and kudos to SF for not caving in and giving it to him!


I agree. It's great to see a team tell a new player what's going to happen rather than what the rookie tell the team by holding out. No rookie should ever be able to do that.


That being said, San Fran was helped by where Crabtree was picked. Nobody in the league was going to support a receiver at #10 getting more than one taken at #7 or wherever Heward-Bey was chosen.

_________________
"If you worry about what the fans say, you’re going to be sitting with them."
-Jim Schwartz


October 7th, 2009, 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I still think that they'll get a deal worked out with San Fran this season, but if not Crabtree won't be able to command millions of dollars after the first round, and he's simply too good to pass on in the second round for teams that are despirate at WR.


This is more or less what I figured would happen. I'm really surprised that he didn't get more cash, and kudos to SF for not caving in and giving it to him!


I agree. It's great to see a team tell a new player what's going to happen rather than what the rookie tell the team by holding out. No rookie should ever be able to do that.


That being said, San Fran was helped by where Crabtree was picked. Nobody in the league was going to support a receiver at #10 getting more than one taken at #7 or wherever Heward-Bey was chosen.


That's not necessarily true... There is support for someone getting the same salary as someone drafted higher than they were at the same position... Matt Lienart comes to mind... Though it wasn't the same position I think Reggie Bush did a very similar thing. I don't think it is limited to the Rb/Qb spot either... but rather, more of a position... "they took X, my guy is better than X, don't punish me because they drafted poorly... PAY ME!!!" seems to be the mentality.


October 8th, 2009, 5:34 am
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9981
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
I hope Crabtree breaks his leg the first time he steps out onto the field. After all the bad press coming out of Cleveland, and now this, I have concluded that this guy is a tool and doesn't deserve the privelege of playing in the NFL.


October 8th, 2009, 8:27 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
I thought this was funny:
PFT wrote:
Crabtree will never see $40 million over six years
Posted by Mike Florio on October 15, 2009 10:53 AM ET
We've picked up some more details regarding the Michael Crabtree contract, which has been characterized as having a maximum value of $40 million over six years.

And, as expected, Crabtree will never earn $40 million over six years, because if he does enough to earn the $8 million in year-six escalators he also will have done enough to void the sixth year.

Still, the contents of the "superescalator" package (as the NFLPA is describing it) are remarkable. On three occasions in the first five years of the deal: (1) Crabtree must participate in 80 percent of the snaps on offense; (2) Crabtree must qualify for the Pro Bowl; (3) the 49ers must win 14 games; and (4) Crabtree must be named Super Bowl MVP.

Three times in five years.

And, actually, it's three times in four years, because there's no way he'll participate in 80 percent of the snaps this year.

Meanwhile, two Pro Bowls in four years will wipe out the sixth year of the deal.

As one source said, "Why bother even putting the $8 million escalator in the contract?"

The answer is simple. Because it introduces the figure of $40 million into the conversation regarding the deal, which will help agent Eugene Parker persuade future recruits that he wanted a $40 million deal for Crabtree -- and that he got it.

Also, we're told that a whopping $15 million in escalators hinge upon 90-percent participation in all voluntary offseason workouts, which is part of what some are calling the "diva clause."

Moreover, of the $17 million in guaranteed money, $6.395 of it is guaranteed for injury only.
So if the 49ers decide that Crabtree is a bust, they can avoid more than $10 million in supposedly guaranteed cash.

Bottom line? The raw dollars in the deal are good -- if Crabtree sticks around long enough to get them. If he doesn't perform well or if he doesn't fully commit to the offseason program each and every year, the financial exposure reduces dramatically.

Basically, this allows Eugene Parker to tell college kids that he got $40M for the 10th pick in the draft, when he technically didn't. I just hope that most future draft picks see through his bullshit and won't hire him.

_________________
Image


October 15th, 2009, 11:59 am
Profile
Post Re:
slybri19 wrote:
Basically, this allows Eugene Parker to tell college kids that he got $40M for the 10th pick in the draft, when he technically didn't. I just hope that most future draft picks see through his bullshit and won't hire him.


Sly, look at the bigger picture though... BMW got what?... $25 Million, with much less guaranteed for the same draft slot? Looking at the deal in total, given the talent and ego of the player, and given what talented egomaniacs love (challenges that other people don't think they'll meet) it seems like a good contract for all. Obviously Crabtree thinks highly of himself, and he likely wanted that contract with those seemingly ridiculously high escalators. The team had built in protections for its end, and Crabtree thinks he can reasonably meet his end of the deal.

And for both teams... Who cares is one part of the K voids the other? If a 6th year is voided due to fulfilling the escalators the Crabtree will be a top 10 WR, he'll get paid like a top 10 WR, and it becomes a non-issue/benefit for Crabtree. I don't see this is a "gotcha" to Crabtree/Eugene Parker, I see it more of a reasonable deal that does allow Parker to promote himself.

I can't stand most of the "high powered" sports agents, and he's one that I would put into the people I hate category, as well as Drew Rosenhous (Sp?), and Scott Borez (Sp?)... but they must be doing something right...


January 4th, 2011, 1:34 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Crabtree's Holdout
Wow...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 4th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12239
Post Re: Crabtree's Holdout
From a year and a half ago? Really? :confused: ](*,)

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 4th, 2011, 1:58 pm
Profile
Post Re: Crabtree's Holdout
TheRealWags wrote:
From a year and a half ago? Really? :confused: ](*,)


I think Sly likes the CBA, salary cap, player contracts, and clauses more than he likes the actual game of football! Are you really surprised?


January 4th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12239
Post Re: Crabtree's Holdout
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
From a year and a half ago? Really? :confused: ](*,)


I think Sly likes the CBA, salary cap, player contracts, and clauses more than he likes the actual game of football! Are you really surprised?

That may be, but YOU were the one to resurrect this thread :wink:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 4th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Profile
Post Re: Crabtree's Holdout
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
From a year and a half ago? Really? :confused: ](*,)


I think Sly likes the CBA, salary cap, player contracts, and clauses more than he likes the actual game of football! Are you really surprised?

That may be, but YOU were the one to resurrect this thread :wink:



Ha... It was still on the first page, and for some reason showed up as being "unread," don't know how that happened. I thought his post was new...


January 4th, 2011, 2:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2293
Post Re: Crabtree's Holdout
lol. blast from the past. \:D/


January 4th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.