View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bruce Carter 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Bruce Carter
Avril is average at best. He's nothing special and his production could be replaced with just about anyone.

Hunter outplayed him last year and McBride has outplayed him thus far. Injured or not, Avril is nothing to write home about and could be replaced with pretty much anyone else.

September 16th, 2010, 10:56 am
Modmin Dude

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a world beater, just that its been one game and its first year with a real mentor (KVB).

September 16th, 2010, 11:05 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Jared DeVries has been in the league for a number of years and was a mentor. Maybe he wasn't the best, but just because the guy can't physically do it doesn't mean he can't teach it to the other guys on the line. Avril has an opportunity to take this job, but he has yet to show that he can truly provide the pass rush threat from the edge.

September 16th, 2010, 11:25 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Anybody see Carter play vs. Rutgers today? Whoa. He is an animal. He showed up everywhere--vs. pass (had a nifty INT return for a TD), vs. run, and he even blocked a punt.

September 25th, 2010, 8:51 pm
RIP Killer

Well, this thread hasn't been commented in for a while, but I supposed based on the last few posts it's worth revisiting.

Avril - I think he quieted us doubters. Yes, I say "us" because I had my doubts as well. Perhaps what Avril needed is someone inside of him to occupy blockers, which he didn't really have in the past. Top that off with his being able to stay relatively healthy, and I feel good about him as a situational pass rusher for this team. Nobody can sneeze at his 8.5 sacks this season.

Carter - His injury was unfortunate, as it seems he was on track to have a monster season. But perhaps that injury can be beneficial for the Lions. I have seen some mocks have Carter going top 20, and others have him falling to mid-second round. I think he gets taken in the first round, but later than he would have been. Hopefully the Lions get a shot at him in the second round, but I don't see it happening. I wouldn't mind him in the first round, but ONLY if the Lions are convinced his injury is fully healed and won't be of further issue. We don't want another Boss Bailey.

January 5th, 2011, 12:49 pm
RIP Killer

Carter in the second due to injury would be sick.

I'll gladly eat crow with you on the Avril thing as well.

January 5th, 2011, 2:02 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Unless Carter can run at either the Combine or his pro day, I think he'll drop significantly. If he's able to run then he could go in the mid-first/second round but if he can't run, he might drop into round 3 or later. There's a lot of time until all of this unfolds, obviously, so much can change.

January 5th, 2011, 9:08 pm
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
Unless Carter can run at either the Combine or his pro day, I think he'll drop significantly. If he's able to run then he could go in the mid-first/second round but if he can't run, he might drop into round 3 or later. There's a lot of time until all of this unfolds, obviously, so much can change.

Word has it he won't be able to run until somewhere about late May, early June, at best. He won't be able to really do any football workouts until August. So I agree that he could fall out of the first round, but I'd be shocked if he falls into the third. His medical reports will be viewed through a microscope to see if there's anything outside the norm during his recovery. Linebackers aren't typically as hampered by this type of injury as RBs or CBs. And I don't believe he's had any previous injuries like this. If he has, then there's cause for real concern.

January 5th, 2011, 10:49 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

Word has it he won't be able to run until somewhere about late May, early June, at best. He won't be able to really do any football workouts until August. So I agree that he could fall out of the first round, but I'd be shocked if he falls into the third. His medical reports will be viewed through a microscope to see if there's anything outside the norm during his recovery. Linebackers aren't typically as hampered by this type of injury as RBs or CBs. And I don't believe he's had any previous injuries like this. If he has, then there's cause for real concern.

I'd be shocked if he didn't fall to late 2nd or 3rd. Same goes for his teammate Deunta Williams, a safety who was carrying a 2nd to 3rd round grade prior to his injury in their bowl game. He and Carter could be steals if they fall far enough, because of the injuries.

January 6th, 2011, 9:25 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

There really isn't any guarantee that Bruce Carter will even be ready for the start of the season. Because of that, I think he'll fall out of the 1st round, but I have no idea how far. I'd imagine that he'll go sometime in the 2nd, but it depends upon his injury status closer to the draft. If the Lions are able to increase LB depth via FA, I'd probably take a chance on him with the 44th pick if he's available. But, if they still have a glaring hole at one of the LB spots, I'd prefer that they select someone who is healthy and will be able to start the season instead.

January 8th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The Lions could always trade back into the tail end of the 2nd round to nab him. If he really won't be ready for the season opener, that's a tremendous gamble.

January 8th, 2011, 2:32 pm
Varsity Captain

with bobby carpenter on the roster drafting bruce carter and waiting for him to get healthy is a no brainer.your getting top 15 talent in the second round .and there is no way he misses the season unless there is a major setback and i really dont see that happening .

April 13th, 2011, 11:38 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I think in the first two rounds you have to get 2 guys who could start day one (if need be).

April 14th, 2011, 11:55 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think in the first two rounds you have to get 2 guys who could start day one (if need be).

I agree....but day one of what season? This is the quandry the Lions are in. If Carter's knee is getting healthy, and there's a chance he can play in 2011 (but not necessarily at the beginning of the season), then it may be worth it to select him. If his knee isn't getting healthier, then I'd pass. BUT, if it seems there will be no 2011 season, and it looks like Carter will make a full recovery, the Lions can take him and let him rehab and then have a healthy beast taken in round two for the start of 2012.

It would seem like he's getting a bunch of interest, which could lead to his being gone by round three.

April 14th, 2011, 12:10 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I agree....but day one of what season? This is the quandry the Lions are in. If Carter's knee is getting healthy, and there's a chance he can play in 2011 (but not necessarily at the beginning of the season), then it may be worth it to select him. If his knee isn't getting healthier, then I'd pass. BUT, if it seems there will be no 2011 season, and it looks like Carter will make a full recovery, the Lions can take him and let him rehab and then have a healthy beast taken in round two for the start of 2012.

It would seem like he's getting a bunch of interest, which could lead to his being gone by round three.

Very true, but I think it's dangerous to make assumptions about the season in late April. Besides, I'm still holding out hope that they'll get this resolved by September.

Interesting side note--here's what Mayhew said on Carter:

Pride of Detroit wrote:
"Talking with our doctors, he is on schedule with his rehab," Mayhew said. "He'd be like where Kevin Smith and Brandon Pettigrew were last year going into camp. If he was with us, (Carter) would be a guy that might start on physically unable to perform list, but he's coming along and moving in the right direction."
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2011/3/25 ... uce-carter

April 14th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next