View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:12 pm



Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2010-11 bowl schedule 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
TCU has proven they deserve in a BCS conference. Now they are and they can compete for the big game. Yes, in the system you don't get a lot of surprise teams jumping in, but you also have really good matchups. If you want to contend, play the big boys, end of story. You say I'm not recognizing stuff, but you guys are as well, ignoring basics. The regular season is the proving ground, earn it there. A playoff doesn't add the security of a champion you act like it does... you simply ACCEPT it as such.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 5th, 2011, 12:30 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
A playoff doesn't add the security of a champion you act like it does... you simply ACCEPT it as such.


I do because it is ten times a better system of determining who the champion than one game played by two teams hand picked by humans and computers.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 5th, 2011, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
I wish I could find it, but I remember seeing an article once that examined the records and teams from each year for something like 10 years, and they figured out that an 8 team playoff was the way to go. It was something like no teams from outside the top 8 rankings had any legitimate claim to being the best/one of the best teams in the country. Then, you let those 8 teams play it out, winner is the champion. That kind of system makes the most sense to me.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


January 5th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
A playoff doesn't add the security of a champion you act like it does... you simply ACCEPT it as such.


I do because it is ten times a better system of determining who the champion than one game played by two teams hand picked by humans and computers.


It only tells you of those X teams, who was able to survive with the most favorable schedule. Why make those games in a playoff more important than a regular season? Why can't the regular season be the same proving ground as the first few rounds of a playoff? What is the difference?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 5th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
A playoff doesn't add the security of a champion you act like it does... you simply ACCEPT it as such.


I do because it is ten times a better system of determining who the champion than one game played by two teams hand picked by humans and computers.


It only tells you of those X teams, who was able to survive with the most favorable schedule. Why make those games in a playoff more important than a regular season? Why can't the regular season be the same proving ground as the first few rounds of a playoff? What is the difference?


Because it is one and done as opposed to perhaps one, unless it was a good loss at a good time of year.

What is better to watch, an NFL regular season game or a playoff game? Easy answer, just like an easy answer to fix the problem with college football.

The College Subdivision Championship is being played in my hometown of Frisco, TX. Take a look at their website:

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/

I'll give you a preview of what it says (do to their playoff system) "Where championships are earned, not given!"

Funny and true...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 5th, 2011, 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Wouldn't know, when was the last time the Lions have been to the play off :shock: HAHA!

An NFL playoff game because the regular season games are made semi null because of playoffs. The playoffs eliminate the importance of a single NFL game. That is why college games are so awesome. Somehow an OSU fan living in California is invested in watching Oregon vs whomever to see if they can jump a spot or so. It moves the excitement and playoffs to the regular season.

You're assumption that playoff games are more exciting is based on the fact that the playoffs nullify the regular season excitement. Just because the NFL playoff game is more exciting than the NFL regular season game doesn't mean he same thing. You make no point with that at all...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 5th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 5th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Really? You honestly think that because in a sport where they have playoffs the playoff games are more exciting that that is a reason to have playoffs... really? You're gonna bang your head over that fallacy?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 5th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
Really? You honestly think that because in a sport where they have playoffs the playoff games are more exciting that that is a reason to have playoffs... really? You're gonna bang your head over that fallacy?

The reason we're banging our heads is because you just don't get it. I swear, its like talking to a wall :rolleyes:

Let's try a different route...
Why do you think that having NCAA Div 1/FBS/BCS playoff will make the regular season games less exciting???
Is that the ONLY reason you're opposed a playoff system? If not, what else?
Do you really believe that the current system defines a true, unbiased Champion? Why or Why not?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 5th, 2011, 4:07 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
By the NFL example it is only obvious that the regular season becomes less exciting. Bang oyu head all you want, I get what you are trying to say, you just can't materialize it and admit is only opinion, not actual fact.

Let me ask you, is a playoff game or regular season game more exciting in the NFL? I think that is the easiest YES I've ever made for anyone but a Lions fan since we do not know any different. If you think the NFL season games are just as exciting as the regular season games, then that is our disagreement. I cannot say that, it isn't that I do not get it it is that I cannot see how they are even close. When I see GB and the Bears games on playing for a division title, even though both are going to the playoffs I'm not that excited. When Auburn is facing Arkansas or Alabama, I'm VERY interested even if I am not a fan of either team. That loss is JUST like a playoff game and has DIRECT implications for their chance of being champions of NCAA football. Every game matters, where in the NFL a couple loses... oh well, not big deal. Just win a good amount and you get your shot. I can quote Pablo of all people after every MSU loss as "Oh well, we only care about March." Either there is an admittance to playoff games being more important or there is not... Can't be both.

I'm NOT going to re-list the list of reasons I gave for not going to a big playoff. Again, I would be ok with a 4 team playoff to appease OPINIONS that a playoff is somehow more fair, but I still contend reasons for regular season games importance, student athlete effects on the student part, injuries, traditions, etc. They are all back there, reread if you want. There are many reasons....

Do I believe the current system defines a true unbiased Champion? Just as well as any playoff. The playoff discounts MONTHS of games for a handful or less of games. This means they are simply champions of that tourney at that time. But what about the rest of the year? Most of it has to do with the machups and playing styles of teams and when they play them. Team one might beat team two, but team three has better matchups to team 1 but lost to team two because that is how they got put in the bracket. A totally different outcome is almost 100% likely with a reshuffle of the brackets. That ensure a champion only if your definition of champion is winner of that bracket in that situation. Why is that better than a mass of humans pitting the final 2 teams? I see no distinction eliminating the wins and loses earlier in the year for a one time shot in a playoff system... how is that more valid? One can say, well you have to beat other conferences... well one doesn't get to play all conferences, you only play who lines up in your bracket. That doesn't expose yo[u or pit everyone against each other like is intended. One loss and you are out... no matter that you even beat the same team earlier a week. There are lots of problems... no one seems to want to admit it.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 5th, 2011, 5:24 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
For reference:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14147

This is what happens when you go to playoffs...

"Snore, wake me up in March"

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 6th, 2011, 11:14 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Evidently a ban isn't a ban:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/n ... id=5991593

Cam Newton's dad to be at bowl game.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 6th, 2011, 11:36 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
I can quote Pablo of all people after every MSU loss as "Oh well, we only care about March." Either there is an admittance to playoff games being more important or there is not... Can't be both.


A playoff game is more important, not even debatable. And you are taking a quote from me comparing a non-conference basketball game in a sport where there are 30+ regular season games and a 68-team playoff system - please don't try to apply that to NCAA football because you can't unless you shorten the seaosn to 10 or less bball game and a playoff with 8 teams or so.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 6th, 2011, 11:41 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Ok, so what is your point then? If am playoff game is more important than a regular season game, how is implementing playoffs NOT going to kill the importance of regular season games? You made my point for me with your question an answer... in the NCAA right now, every single regular season game is the same importance as a playoff. How is that not something to consider?

Again, you are taking negative side effects of a playoff system and using it as a REASON to have a playoff system!? It's circular reasoning...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 6th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
For reference:

http://lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14147

This is what happens when you go to playoffs...

"Snore, wake me up in March"



You cant compare basketball to football. I dont watch PRO basketball games much till the playoffs. why? cuz every game doesn't matter like it does with football. In college hoops they play what...50 games or so? in football it's 12. EVERY GAME MATTERS. and if there is a playoff scenario it would only likly include only 8 or 16 teams. every game matters. THATS the difference.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


January 6th, 2011, 12:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.