View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mayhew's comments 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Mayhew's comments
This paragraph taken from today's Free Press article: Though Mayhew wouldn't talk specifics about his team's off-season priorities -- "You guys have been watching football for a long time, I think. There's some things that jump out at you probably, but I wouldn't confirm or deny what our needs are," he said -- it's obvious the Lions have needs at linebacker, defensive back, No. 3 receiver and running back.

We all know we need a #3 receiver, but I thought it interesting he mentions RB. Does anyone think Ingram or one of the other top backs could be an option in the 1st?

January 6th, 2011, 9:37 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Mayhew's comments
liontrax wrote:
This paragraph taken from today's Free Press article: Though Mayhew wouldn't talk specifics about his team's off-season priorities -- "You guys have been watching football for a long time, I think. There's some things that jump out at you probably, but I wouldn't confirm or deny what our needs are," he said -- it's obvious the Lions have needs at linebacker, defensive back, No. 3 receiver and running back.

We all know we need a #3 receiver, but I thought it interesting he mentions RB. Does anyone think Ingram or one of the other top backs could be an option in the 1st?

hope not. The laughter over our WR drafts is just starting to fade.....we certainly dont need it to start all over again with RB's this time.

January 6th, 2011, 12:44 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The comments you're referring to (RB, WR) were made by the writer Dave Birkett, not Mayhew.

January 6th, 2011, 1:10 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

1. Ingram might be the BPA at #13. He's very talented.
2. The Lions lack a true RB. Best is a quality player, but he's a utility offensive playmaker, not a true NFL RB.
3. Every NFL team needs two quality backs. If they go to 18 games, this will be doubly true.
4. Besides the back 7, the Lion's second biggest weakness is their running game (or lack thereof). This is probably more of an indictment on their o-line, but a quality back would still help.

I'd support taking Ingram.

January 6th, 2011, 1:29 pm
Walk On

Blueskies wrote:
1. Ingram might be the BPA at #13. He's very talented.
2. The Lions lack a true RB. Best is a quality player, but he's a utility offensive playmaker, not a true NFL RB.
3. Every NFL team needs two quality backs. If they go to 18 games, this will be doubly true.
4. Besides the back 7, the Lion's second biggest weakness is their running game (or lack thereof). This is probably more of an indictment on their o-line, but a quality back would still help.

I'd support taking Ingram.

We need help elsewhere. Unless it would be a complete steal (like Ingram in round 2, which is a pipedream) then we should not take a RB in round one. Best may very well be the feature back when we get a line to block (see- Johnson at Tennessee)

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

January 6th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Quote:
We need help elsewhere. Unless it would be a complete steal (like Ingram in round 2, which is a pipedream) then we should not take a RB in round one. Best may very well be the feature back when we get a line to block (see- Johnson at Tennessee)

We can debate need v BPA all day, but ultimately Mayhew's strategy is and always has been BPA. He applies band-aids to the gaping holes in FA, then goes in the draft and tries to get the best young talent.

I think C-Johnson is a unique type of talent. I think Best compares more to Reggie Bush than Johnson. I'm not saying that Best is a bad player or that the Lions shouldn't have taken him. He's been instrumental in putting up a lot of points this season and will be for years to come. I just don't think he can ever really be that run between the tackles kind of back that the Lions need.

January 6th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Modmin Dude

From viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14290&start=0

Quote:
Q. What are the challenges of having the 13th pick in the draft, as opposed to have one of the top two picks like you've had the last two years?

A. Certainly it is more of a challenge to pick at 13 than it was to pick at one or two. But we think we had a great pick at 20 in 2009 with Brandon Pettigrew. And we think we had a pretty good pick at 30 last year with Jahvid Best. So from my perspective, there will be a great player at 13. We just have to identify and draft that player.

Q. Will you be taking the proverbial best player available?

A. We are going to take the best available player, and you have to understand at that point we're taking about a group of players with a similar grade. We will not suspend common sense, but we will take the best player.

January 6th, 2011, 1:59 pm
Walk On

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:

We can debate need v BPA all day, but ultimately Mayhew's strategy is and always has been BPA. He applies band-aids to the gaping holes in FA, then goes in the draft and tries to get the best young talent.

I think C-Johnson is a unique type of talent. I think Best compares more to Reggie Bush than Johnson. I'm not saying that Best is a bad player or that the Lions shouldn't have taken him. He's been instrumental in putting up a lot of points this season and will be for years to come. I just don't think he can ever really be that run between the tackles kind of back that the Lions need.

BPA with need in mind. You won't see us taking a TE or DT, no matter the talent.

Best's use to this team awaits to be seen. We need an OL first

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

January 6th, 2011, 2:10 pm
RIP Killer

I think when a coach or a GM start deciding on best player available, it involves more than just that players talent level or ranking. It also involves need. Each team sets up their own draft boards, and players who are at a position that doesn't pose an immediate need aren't as highly valued.

For instance, when the Lions are picking this season, and both Brandon Harris and Adrian Clayborn are still on the board, and ranked with the same grade on the Lions draft board, in all likelihood the Lions will take Harris.

Another factor is what the Lions feel about depth at a position versus other positions. If they think that the LB position has a deeper well of talent than the CB position, they'll look at using a higher pick on the CB, even if the needs are equal, since they are less likely to be able to get a player of quality at the CB position later on than a LB.

Yet another factor is the needs of the other teams, and what positions they are picking at. One of the reasons stated as to why the Lions moved up to get Best last year was that they felt Minnesota or another team may take a RB, and they also felt a number of RBs were about to start getting picked.

BPA is not strictly based on talent.....or at least it shouldn't be. Best Player Available should be BPA for the good of the team.

January 6th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Mastermind of the Millennium wrote:
We will not suspend common sense, but we will take the best player.

There you have it. Can we finally put the discussion of Mayhew's BPA approach behind us?

January 6th, 2011, 2:25 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Unfortunately not. now we get to discuss what they mean by BPA. See the comment above yours:

I love speculation. :-k

January 6th, 2011, 3:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

I understand the speculation about the RB position. MoMo is 31 and Kevin Smith is coming off of a season ending injury. He did very little for the team this year. Having Best is nice, but we're going to need someone else in that backfield in order to have a balanced attack next season. Ingram, if available, would be a good pick, if the Lions had a starting Sam and Will. If Brandon Harris, Mark Ingram, and Adrian Clayborn are all getting the same grade from the scouts, then what? I think Mayhew and Schwartz realize the need at CB is greater then at RB and will choose accordingly.

January 6th, 2011, 5:51 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

IF and thats a big IF We have locked up a combo of 3 different holes (line LB and DB's) durring free agency I would be happy with that pick. However much I understand BPA, need HAS to be a factor and there are just a few spots we NEED to fill to get over the next hump and get us to the playoffs. Taking a slight increase in one spot and ignoring glaring holes in others does not a team make. There will be a lot of tallent at 13..there HAS to be someone who rates close to equal on the draft board.

January 6th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Div 1 - Starter

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Mastermind of the Millennium wrote:
We will not suspend common sense, but we will take the best player.

There you have it. Can we finally put the discussion of Mayhew's BPA approach behind us?

Yeah...that about wraps it up. He basically said they'll take whoever they have rated as the best player...that makes sense for their team.

January 6th, 2011, 7:18 pm

After looking at some lists of player rankings, it seems that many people are not that high on Ingram anymore anyway. He seems to be consistently ranked in the 40-50 range of total prospects. So taking him at 13 seems rather stupid to me now. I could see the Patriots targeting him at the beginning of the second.

The interesting thing though is that Harris isn't that highly reguarded either...

January 6th, 2011, 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next