View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Luck to return to Stanford. 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Luck to return to Stanford.
Wow, just wow. Mad respect points.

I wonder if this changes everything. It certainly makes the top of the draft shake up, which could cost us a good player that would have fallen.

I also wonder if Harbaugh reconsiders and comes back looking for a national title.

January 6th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Luck to return to Stanford.
sorry, but dumb decision. kid is a lock to be the #1 pick in the draft so his draft stock can't go any higher.

How did this work out for Sam Bradford? Not too bad but still got hurt missed out on one years worth of NFL earnings which for him was big bucks.

How bout Matt Leinart, dropped from #1 pick to #10 - that is also a lot of $.

Just go play for the Panthers and make tons of money son...

January 6th, 2011, 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Some food for thought on this from Peter King:
Quote:
Luck logic: 1 Always said he wanted to stay 4 yrs; next yr would be 4th yr ... 2 Unusual kid. 3.5 gpa in Arch. Engineering. Loves school ...
Luck (cont.) 3 Awful year to come out, not just because of rookie wage scale. Rookies may not even practice w/team till sept.
Luck (cont.) 4 One last thing: My guess is 1st pick in draft gets 5yrs/$15m. Won't be turning down Bradford money, not by a long shot.
I laud Luck. Reminds me of Manning bypassing Parcells' Jets in '97 to stay at Ten 1 more yr. Admire a kid who knows you never get that back.
http://twitter.com/si_peterking

January 6th, 2011, 4:01 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

To be young and foolish......... :-k

Even if there is a rookie pay scale, you miss out on year's worth of earnings and there is no guarantee that you will be the number one pick next year, a lot can happen in one year.

January 6th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

He should just look at Jake Locker. He could have been the #1 pick last year over Bradford but he decided to come back to school, pooped the bed this season, and now will drop quite a way from #1. Possible rookie wage scale notwithstanding, he's making a poor decision. Why not just go back and finish your degree later in life when you're a millionaire? But then again, maybe he realizes he's not mature enough to go play in the NFL and wants to spend another year in college with the Stanford nerds trying to get laid.

January 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

while I will agree that it's not a very sound financial move, I hafta tip my hat to the kid. Look at it from another perspective, think Band of brothers or Frat brother kind of thinking. He's formed a bond with his teamates and that team is on the cusp of greatness (possibly the BCS championship game next year). He knows they dont stand much of a chance of accomplishing that if he leaves. I can certainly get behind the kind of thinking that say's " no, I want to finish what we started here before I move on."

January 6th, 2011, 5:58 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Its all about what he wants...and none of us know what that is. If his priorities are going number one and making lots of money, then yeah this was a bad call. If he's got different priorities though, finishing his degree, enjoying another year of college or whatever this makes sense. You might not agree with his priorities but I applaud him for doing what he wants to do. Of course there's always the possibility that his priorities are going high in the draft and making lots of money and he isn't as bright as everyone thinks.

January 6th, 2011, 7:09 pm
RIP Killer

Tough call if it were me. Kid is obviously smart, doing well in school, could get bit by a rule change with a new CBA. Other hand is that he could go out, get the money, not play, not get paid, lose a year of football, and miss his rookie season with no experience to build on and pull a Mike Williams. I think it is smart football move looking at iffyness of next season.

January 6th, 2011, 7:26 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

I dont think there is any way the the players union will agree to a rookie scale that ensures the first pick of the draft a 5 yrs/15 mill contract. Far, far too much of a drop in pay. I could see something limiting the ridiculous yr to yr inflation of pay to the top few picks or even slotted amounts per pick that maybe are exempt from the overall salary cap (so that the generally weaker teams dont end up in cap trouble). but 5 yrs/15 mill, who was the last No 1 pick to get that much of a lowball offer. I have no idea but 10 yrs ago Mike Vick got 6yrs/61 million. i refuse to believe that the economics of the NFL is in that bad of condition at this point.

January 6th, 2011, 9:31 pm
RIP Killer

I think it's a questionable move. I won't say it's dumb, but questionable advice. I look at it this way, he's practically guaranteed to be the number one overall pick. Whether he gets to practice with his team or not, he's a number one pick in the draft and will have to be paid like it. If he's not able to practice with his NFL team, he can still return to Stanford and take more classes in the summer. He won't be BMOC come September if he's playing NFL football, but so what? He can always finish his degree.

The thing is, he's going to return to Stanford WITHOUT his head coach. That's why it's a questionable move. Will he be able to have the same type of success with a new coach, under a new offense? I wouldn't chance it. Also, if he gets seriously hurt in college, bye-bye contract. If he gets seriously hurt in the pros, hello Stanford with millions in my pocket already.

Knowing that by all accounts you are going to be the number one pick in the draft is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and the reason why most college players play the game. Matt Leinart messed up. Jake Locker messed up. Sam Bradford came very close to messing up. It's just not worth the risk.

January 6th, 2011, 10:24 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The Legend wrote:
I dont think there is any way the the players union will agree to a rookie scale that ensures the first pick of the draft a 5 yrs/15 mill contract. Far, far too much of a drop in pay. I could see something limiting the ridiculous yr to yr inflation of pay to the top few picks or even slotted amounts per pick that maybe are exempt from the overall salary cap (so that the generally weaker teams dont end up in cap trouble). but 5 yrs/15 mill, who was the last No 1 pick to get that much of a lowball offer. I have no idea but 10 yrs ago Mike Vick got 6yrs/61 million. i refuse to believe that the economics of the NFL is in that bad of condition at this point.

I totally agree. In the end, I doubt Luck is sacrificing nearly as much money as Peter King suggests. Regardless, there's all kinds of evidence to suggest that QBs who stay in school for four years end up having an easier transition to the NFL. Luck is smart enough to know that whoever drafts him is going to expect him to be a savior. An extra year will help him be more ready to meet those expectations (exhibit A = Sam Bradford).

January 6th, 2011, 11:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Maybe the NFL is'nt his #1 priority in life. If he's happy where he's at than that's good. I'm sure his family is'nt poor...

January 7th, 2011, 3:08 am
RIP Killer

Pay slotting or not, no way he only gets 5/15. Also, from the sounds of it, he'll be returning WITH Harbaugh.

However, I think it's a dumb move. He can finish that degree any time. It's not hard. I started and completed a MSME in 3 years while working 50+ hours a week. It's not hard. Luck could do it. He could get hurt, his stock will likely drop, especially with a new coaching staff. He'll likely end up with less money.

Practice? Who cares about practice? The #1 overall pick at QB, he's damn near guaranteed to start on whatever team takes him.

January 7th, 2011, 9:07 am
Modmin Dude

conversion02 wrote:
Pay slotting or not, no way he only gets 5/15. Also, from the sounds of it, he'll be returning WITH Harbaugh.

However, I think it's a dumb move. He can finish that degree any time. It's not hard. I started and completed a MSME in 3 years while working 50+ hours a week. It's not hard. Luck could do it. He could get hurt, his stock will likely drop, especially with a new coaching staff. He'll likely end up with less money.

Practice? Who cares about practice? The #1 overall pick at QB, he's damn near guaranteed to start on whatever team takes him.

:shock:
While he might be able to finish that degree anytime, if Harbaugh goes back to Stanford they'll have a shot a the National Champ (well, at leat a little shot....) and that doesn't happen every year. Heck, he may never get the chance to play for a Champ in the NFL so why not give it at least one more shot???

January 7th, 2011, 9:30 am
RIP Killer

A lot of IFs vs a lot of guaranteed money.

IF Harbaugh comes back
IF Oregon doesn't dominate again next year (which they most likely will)
IF he doesn't get hurt
IF they get another top recruiting class
IF they don't lose key players to the draft

January 7th, 2011, 9:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next