View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Free Agent Wish List 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Free Agent Wish List
Some players I think the Lions should show interest in as free agents. These are not the marquis players at the position, but guys that the Lions may be able to afford:
RBs
DeAngelo Williams - He may not be retained in Carolina, and word has it he wants out. He'd be a good compliment to Jahvid Best, and would allow the Lions to say bye-bye to Kevin Smith.

Jerious Norwood - He has not been used a bunch in Atlanta, so there's still plenty of tread left on the tires. A low to the ground runner who I think can be very effective as a second back.

WRs
Mike Sims-Walker - I don't know if the Lions would be willing to pay him what he may be asking for, but he'd be solid as a third receiver.

Devin Aromashadu - Definitely not the skills to be a full time guy, but I like him as a possession style receiver with Burleson moving to the slot when Devin comes in.

OGs
Harvey Dahl - Not a big name in most households, but he's part of the reason why Atlanta has one of the best rushing offenses year after year. Plenty of mean streak.

Jonathan Goodwin - The Saints have plenty of players that they have to re-sign, so Goodwin may not be among their priorities. Can play either guard or center as a starter.

DEs
Cliff Avril, Turk McBride - Avril should be a priority, but McBride should get an offer as well. Re-signing them should be first on the agenda, then go looking elsewhere.

Anthony Hargrove - Remember that the Lions supposedly were looking at Hargrove last year. He can be an improvement over Andre Fluellen as a swing player.

LBs
Stephen Tulloch - I agree that the Lions will make a run at him, but I doubt it will be like what Schwartz did with KVB last season. He could play inside or outside.

Ben Leber - He doesn't get a bunch of recognition in Minnesota, but he's a smart player who doesn't get over-aggressive. Solid tackler with so-so cover skills.

Tavares Gooden - I think he could play any of the three spots, and would certainly be an improvement over who we used on the outside this season.

CBs
Chris Houston - straight up, the Lions can't afford to let him walk. I know he may want a ridiculous contract, but I think if the Lions make him a more than fair offer he could take it rather than risk the market telling him he's worth less.

Eric Wright - I doubt the Browns let him go, but he'd be a really good addition to our secondary if he decides he's had enough in Cleveland.

Jonathan Joseph - It's expected that the Bengals will re-sign him and that he isn't expected to ask for an outrageous sum because he wants to stay in Cincy.

S
Nobody of interest, because most of the free agents I see are run support style safeties with limited cover skills. I would prefer to see the Lions go after a coverage safety to compete with Spievey and Phillips in camp.

Last edited by m2karateman on January 9th, 2011, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 8th, 2011, 8:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Damn good rundown m2. As far as Goodwin, that is an excellent target because of his ability to immediately compete with/replace Peterman at Guard, ut could also Backup Raiola or replace him (depending on his age) as Raiola gets older. Our current C backup is dedicated to the position, doesnt play any other position, and IMO isnt good enough to replace Dom as our Future Center either. Basically a waste of a roster spot.

January 8th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Atlanta will do all they can to hang onto Dahl but it would be nice to get him. Maybe the same story with Deuce Lutui at Arizona.

January 9th, 2011, 2:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Add Asomugha to that list, whose contract is confirmed Voided.

He immediately becomes #1 to me, and worth upwar4ds of 8 million/season for 5 years.

January 9th, 2011, 6:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

He was making over $16M last season. What makes you think he would sign for half that???

January 10th, 2011, 11:27 am
conversion02 wrote:
He was making over $16M last season. What makes you think he would sign for half that???

He did say "upward of $8 mill", but I agree... He's not going to sign for less than $10mill per. Revis makes more than $11 million per year, and Samuel makes over $9mill per. I can't see him signing for less that Samuel. Personally, I would rather have two FA's for that price or slightly more. $13 mill per should land us two really nice FAs. I think this team already has too many over-paid players, and too much high priced talent.

January 10th, 2011, 11:53 am
RIP Killer

Either way, there's cheaper, GOOD alternatives out there. This team isn't 1 shutdown CB away from the superbowl, they shouldn't spend $15M+ a year on that guy.

This team is a GOOD MLB and a GOOD CB away from contending for the playoffs. That can be found with $15M per year.

January 10th, 2011, 1:02 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
Either way, there's cheaper, GOOD alternatives out there. This team isn't 1 shutdown CB away from the superbowl, they shouldn't spend $15M+ a year on that guy.

This team is a GOOD MLB and a GOOD CB away from contending for the playoffs. That can be found with $15M per year.

Agreed. If the Lions were that one piece away, and had the money under the cap, you throw the deal out there. I'd be calling his agent, if I were Mayhew, but I don't believe they should offer a kings ransom to one guy, using special teamers and backups (sound familiar?) to fill in the rest of the holes. Even if we get two starters out of the draft, we'd still be short in some areas. I'd rather re-sign Chris Houston at a far more reasonable price.

January 10th, 2011, 3:19 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Agreed. If the Lions were that one piece away, and had the money under the cap, you throw the deal out there. I'd be calling his agent, if I were Mayhew, but I don't believe they should offer a kings ransom to one guy, using special teamers and backups (sound familiar?) to fill in the rest of the holes. Even if we get two starters out of the draft, we'd still be short in some areas. I'd rather re-sign Chris Houston at a far more reasonable price.

If anything, he may have helped us by lowering what Houston can get in FA.

January 10th, 2011, 5:03 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

It could go either way. If Asomugha gets a huge amount per year, Houston may be able to say "well I deserve at least 75% of that amount per year...." or something like that. Asomugha may actually push the market up.

January 10th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Div 1 - Starter

houston isnt a very good #1 corner, he would be a good #2. he is a seviceable corner but he is nothing special. i would be all for nnamdi. we need some cover corners that can press. with our pass rush and a couple good corners we wouldnt give qbs many options. also with nnamdi being the eraser he is it would prevent teams from running max protection because they would need that other man out running routes.

January 10th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

It could go either way. If Asomugha gets a huge amount per year, Houston may be able to say "well I deserve at least 75% of that amount per year...." or something like that. Asomugha may actually push the market up.

You're right--I was thinking of the opposite scenario...
Houston: "I want ---- million"
GM: "WHAT?!?! That's Nmadi money!"

January 11th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Heisman Winner

I thought I read somewhere that the Raiders will be voiding more contracts this offseason as well. I think Michael Bush is on that list. He might fit nice as the other half of the Lions' RBBC with Best...

January 12th, 2011, 10:25 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I recall that as well. Bush is probably going to be a target to be re-signed by the Raiders, but with a coaching change you never know. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Honolulu blue, but he's had an injury history, and I'm not sold that he can stay healthy, just like JB.

January 13th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Varsity Captain

Asomough
Greenway
TO or Breaston
Chris Houston
Deangelo Williams
Mankins?

Pacman Jones

January 18th, 2011, 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next