View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mayhew's comments 
League MVP

Post Re: Mayhew's comments
liontrax wrote:
This paragraph taken from today's Free Press article: Though Mayhew wouldn't talk specifics about his team's off-season priorities -- "You guys have been watching football for a long time, I think. There's some things that jump out at you probably, but I wouldn't confirm or deny what our needs are," he said -- it's obvious the Lions have needs at linebacker, defensive back, No. 3 receiver and running back.
We all know we need a #3 receiver, but I thought it interesting he mentions RB. Does anyone think Ingram or one of the other top backs could be an option in the 1st?

Learn to read, Mayhew did not say the bolded line above the writer did. those are the needs that whoever wrote the article thinks the lions should address.

January 6th, 2011, 9:14 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Legend wrote:
liontrax wrote:
This paragraph taken from today's Free Press article: Though Mayhew wouldn't talk specifics about his team's off-season priorities -- "You guys have been watching football for a long time, I think. There's some things that jump out at you probably, but I wouldn't confirm or deny what our needs are," he said -- it's obvious the Lions have needs at linebacker, defensive back, No. 3 receiver and running back.
We all know we need a #3 receiver, but I thought it interesting he mentions RB. Does anyone think Ingram or one of the other top backs could be an option in the 1st?

Learn to read, Mayhew did not say the bolded line above the writer did. those are the needs that whoever wrote the article thinks the lions should address.

Yep, your right, my bad. So, I thought I'd post this article. Notice it reads Mayhew said. I had read this one prior to the one I posted, and assumed the Free Press writer Dave Birkett was quoting Mayhew as well. Number 12 on the list, combined with Birkett's article, lead me to think he might address the RB position in the draft.

Quote:
Posted by Tim Twentyman (The Detroit News) on Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM
GM Martin Mayhew talks about the future of the Lions

A few tidbits for you from today's sit-down with Lions GM Martin Mayhew and the Lions beat writers.

1. Ndamukong Suh will not play in the Pro Bowl on Jan. 30 in Hawaii because he's having shoulder surgery on Jan. 10. Mayhew would not tell us which shoulder or when he hurt it.

2. Mayhew said he had a nice conversation with linebacker Julian Peterson on Monday and thanked him for his last two years of service, but the team would bring him back next season. They'll likely release him the first chance they get, which is the day after the Super Bowl. Peterson is owed $8 million last year.

3. Mayhew said he's still formulating a plan for the roster at a lot of different positions and that the kicker spot was one of them. This upcoming training camp could be the first in a while that K Jason Hanson has true competition. Likely from Dave Rayner, who was 13 of 16 on field goals filling in for Hanson this year. Mayhew certainly has a lot of respect for Hanson, though, calling him a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.

4. Mayhew has no doubts about Matthew Stafford and said both he and the team doctors don't think the shoulder injuries will be an ongoing problem.

5. "No one was more excited to see Drew Stanton perform the he performed this year than I was," Mayhew said. "Having watched him the first couple year's kind of flounder and not really having an opportunity to make a real contribution. He's made a lot of improvement over the years. With not knowing what the system (CBA) is going forward and not knowing what years it takes for free agency, it's still a process what we do with those guys." Stanton is in the final year of his four-year rookie contract. Mayhew did say that his one knock on Stanton was his injury history and that he didn't like seeing Stanton hurt again this season.

6. Mayhew said he's preparing for every eventuality when it comes to the uncertainty of the collective bargaining agreement. He's done more preparation than in season's past and has a plan for every possible scenario. He said the Lions are very prepared for any system that's implemented. That also includes a possible late start to the season.

7. Corner Chris Houston is very valued by Mayhew. He said that the team is preparing to tender him or make him an offer when the new rules are in place. "He's a guy we definitely want back," Mayhew said.

8. It will certainly be more challenging picking at No. 13 than at No. 1 or No. 2. But Mayhew made a great point when he said he thought the team made a great pick at No. 20 (Brandon Pettigrew) in 2009 and at No. 30 (Jahvid Best) this year. "There will be a great player there at No. 13; we just have to find him."

9. Mayhew said that the Lions will still take the best player available at No. 13; "Using some common sense."

10. The waiver wire pickup that most exceeded Mayhew's expectations this year was Stefan Logan. "He was even better in our scheme and our system," Mayhew said. "He should have been a Pro Bowler as a returner in my opinion."

11. Mayhew also said that rookie DE Willie Young would have probably started for the Lions in the 2009 season but didn't see a whole lot of time this season because the guys ahead of him played so well. Mayhew said he likes the development of both Young and T Jason Fox in their rookie seasons.

12. Even with a number of backs on the roster, Mayhew said the running back spot was still in flux and he's still very much evaluating that position group.

13. Asked about the job he did as GM this year: "I've got a lot of work to do," he said. "We won six games this year. I don't care where you come from, six games is six games. We need to win more games than that. I have a lot of work to do."

January 7th, 2011, 9:13 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Quote:
Posted by Tim Twentyman (The Detroit News) on Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM
GM Martin Mayhew talks about the future of the Lions

4. Mayhew has no doubts about Matthew Stafford and said both he and the team doctors don't think the shoulder injuries will be an ongoing problem.

5. "No one was more excited to see Drew Stanton perform the he performed this year than I was," Mayhew said. "Having watched him the first couple year's kind of flounder and not really having an opportunity to make a real contribution. He's made a lot of improvement over the years. With not knowing what the system (CBA) is going forward and not knowing what years it takes for free agency, it's still a process what we do with those guys." Stanton is in the final year of his four-year rookie contract. Mayhew did say that his one knock on Stanton was his injury history and that he didn't like seeing Stanton hurt again this season.

7. Corner Chris Houston is very valued by Mayhew. He said that the team is preparing to tender him or make him an offer when the new rules are in place. "He's a guy we definitely want back," Mayhew said.

11. Mayhew also said that rookie DE Willie Young would have probably started for the Lions in the 2009 season but didn't see a whole lot of time this season because the guys ahead of him played so well. Mayhew said he likes the development of both Young and T Jason Fox in their rookie seasons.

12. Even with a number of backs on the roster, Mayhew said the running back spot was still in flux and he's still very much evaluating that position group.

13. Asked about the job he did as GM this year: "I've got a lot of work to do," he said. "We won six games this year. I don't care where you come from, six games is six games. We need to win more games than that. I have a lot of work to do."

My comments on the comments:
4. While I believe exactly what Mayhew says here, the reality is that even if it were otherwise, he wouldn't tell anyone.

5. Again, I agree that Stanton has an injury history, but to be perfectly honest, which of our QBs didn't get hurt this season? Stafford-twice, Hill-twice, Stanton-once.

7. I'm glad to see Mayhew saying that he wants Houston back, and is seemingly willing to fight for him via tendering an offer or making a contract offer of quality to him. He shouldn't be paid Revis money, so if Chris asks for that, I'd tell him "happy hunting, and if you get it I'm happy for you, but if you don't, come back and let's talk".

11. I hope he's being honest about both Young and Fox, because it would be nice to have another situational pass rusher like Avril in Willie Young, and Lord knows we need depth at offensive tackle with an eye on a possible new starter for the future at both spots.

12. I actually agree with Martin here. Smith has ended the past two seasons on IR. I don't think he'll be back. Morris was excellent during his time, but I don't think he's a full time starter. Best may not be durable enough to carry the full load. I still say we need a power back to share carries. Felton should be kept, Brown should be cut, and a late round pick can be used on a bruiser. The Jags got Rashad Jennings in the 7th round, the 49ers got Anthony Dixon in the sixth round, the Bucs got Blount as a UDFA....the Lions should be able to pull off something like that as well.

13. I'm happy to see that he's sees the six wins as just that. The winning streak is a good sign, but it still equates to 66% of the total wins on the season.

As has been said many times, Mayhew has done a phenomenal job. There are still some question marks regarding certain players, not all signings have worked out, but I think he's one of the better GMs in the league right now. He's active and he's intelligent. He isn't giving away the farm on FA signings, and he's gotten the better of everyone on trades. Houston, Roy Williams, Corey Williams, Lawrence Jackson, Rob Sims, Shaun Hill, Alfonso Smith, Kevin O'Connell.......and I know there's more, we came out ahead on every one of those moves.

January 7th, 2011, 11:27 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I couldn't be more pleased with Martin Mayhew so far. I know "the streak" means nothing for next year, but I think we could all see the improvement in the Lions from 0-16 to where they were at late this season.

I really think Mayhew is in a position to make himself look like a draft genius at the #13 pick.
If you look at the mock drafts from last year's draft at this time and the mock drafts the day before the draft, they are drastically different. We're going to have to see the numbers from the combine to find out who will drop at #13 after they have an off-day and run a bad 40 time. Someone always falls from top 5 to the second round every year. If Bowers craps the bed, much like players like Boldin, on draft day and he's there at #13... If he's the real deal and makes the defensive line an even better unit, Mayhew will have done what no other Lions GM has done.
There WILL BE players that fall and get taken early and there will be players that can contribute that will be undrafted. The on-the-job-training for Mayhew is over. I fully expect another draft with results that are even better than the previous two. I feel like the Lions have stepped out of the JV of the NFL or have big potential to be a playoff team. This goes for players AND front office. If Mayhew gets the right players in this draft, the Lions could contend for the NFC North... This year.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

January 7th, 2011, 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Blueskies wrote:
After looking at some lists of player rankings, it seems that many people are not that high on Ingram anymore anyway. He seems to be consistently ranked in the 40-50 range of total prospects. So taking him at 13 seems rather stupid to me now. I could see the Patriots targeting him at the beginning of the second.

The interesting thing though is that Harris isn't that highly reguarded either...

I wouldn't be surprised if Ingram rockets up the charts again with an impressive pro-day. My sentiments of Best, the running game, and drafting a true NFL RB echo your earlier thoughts of Ingram. If not Ingram, any other RB that happens to be the BPA falls to #13, I'd take him in a heartbeat. He would have to be a value for me to be happy about a RB over a LB or CB or S, but I would be happy as hell if a quality, true NFL RB fell to us.

January 9th, 2011, 11:49 pm
Div 1 - Starter

there is no doubt in my mind that if ingram is there at 13 he is the best available player, but then again i would say the same about the 10 spot

January 10th, 2011, 9:24 pm
RIP Killer

vankman79 wrote:
there is no doubt in my mind that if ingram is there at 13 he is the best available player, but then again i would say the same about the 10 spot

If Mark Ingram is still on the board at #13, and the Lions feel he is the best player available, I'm hoping they trade down. I really don't think the Lions need to burn yet ANOTHER round one pick on an OFFENSIVE play maker. Enough is enough. I've been satisfied (not overjoyed) with their last couple drafts, but there are too many other positions that need attention, and Mayhew could probably make out like a bandit if he were to trade down. The Lions took a big step towards making their defensive respectable last year. Now it's time to make them an intimidating force. No receiver, no QB, no running back....defense or offensive line with that first pick, PLEASE!

I can't say I'm sure what team would be willing to trade up....Miami is likely interested in Ingram, but do they think that the Rams would take Ingram? Otherwise, they have no reason to move. Other teams who could want a RB like Ingram would be the Pats, the Giants or the Saints. I'm sure the Packers would like him as well, but I don't see them moving up 13 spots (possibly) to get him.

I know many folks think that Peterson and Amukamara will be off the board when the Lions pick, but one of them, likely Prince, could fall to us at #13. Many of the teams drafting ahead of us have needs along their defensive lines, QB or at receiver. They may forego taking a CB in favor of someone at one of those spots. It wouldn't surprise me to see three or maybe four QBs go ahead of our pick, and possibly two or three receivers. Couple that with three or four DLs and maybe a rush OLB for a 34 team, and you've burned those first 12 picks easy.

Just thinking out loud.....

January 11th, 2011, 11:15 am
RIP Killer

Good thoughts m2k... I agree that if Ingrahm falls, we should trade down because he is BPA as vankman said. I'd love to see us nab some extra picks to step back a few spots if that happens. But I cannot tell you how tempting it would be to nab him...

January 11th, 2011, 11:23 am
Team MVP

Man i just dont want the temporary excitement I would get if we drafted Ingram. I dont wanna be all excited, then after a couple games into the season think to myself, "Ahh..maybe we SHOULD have drafted...".

Like the previous posts say, NO to Ingram or TRADE DOWN.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 11th, 2011, 11:35 am
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Man i just dont want the temporary excitement I would get if we drafted Ingram. I dont wanna be all excited, then after a couple games into the season think to myself, "Ahh..maybe we SHOULD have drafted...".

Like the previous posts say, NO to Ingram or TRADE DOWN.

If I thought Ingram was the second coming of Adrian Peterson, then I'd say "TAKE HIM" and not look back. I just don't think Ingram is as good as Peterson, and don't think he'll be that impact style RB in the NFL.

January 11th, 2011, 11:57 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

O think Ingram will be a durable workhorse back (think mendenhall). Could we use him, sure.. but I think KS and MM can handle the regular duties for another year.

What if Prince and Ingram are there. I say take prince and be happy he fell. And I do agree its possible m2, now that i look at who is making the picks ahead and their needs.

Fairley just made himself the #1 pick last night, so thats a step in the right direction.

January 11th, 2011, 3:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Agree with many of the previous posts about Ingram. Sure, it would make for an exciting backfield duo, but makes no sense moving forward in the rebuilding of the Lions. I do hope he is there as possible trade bait. Same goes for Peterson and Amukamara. Take the extra pick and draft a CB later.

January 11th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Div 1 - Starter

if prince is there then he would be bpa, and i would say nab him. m2k seems to think that amukamara or peterson could still be there. I dont think theres a chance. I think everybody forgets that there is a lack of quality corners in the league. for that reason i believe corners are gonna hold a premium in this draft. look at the teams that draft before and after us that could use a corner. if you wait for a corner in this draft its gonna be too late. also some teams could lose or be unsure about 1 of their corners due to free agency and where they are at in the new cba if they have not settled on it. so unless 1 of them 2 guys have a bad combine i dont see them slipping that far. but who knows, i have seen stranger things happen on draft day, its hard telling what may happen.

January 11th, 2011, 3:41 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

vankman79 wrote:
if prince is there then he would be bpa, and i would say nab him. m2k seems to think that amukamara or peterson could still be there. I dont think theres a chance. I think everybody forgets that there is a lack of quality corners in the league. for that reason i believe corners are gonna hold a premium in this draft. look at the teams that draft before and after us that could use a corner. if you wait for a corner in this draft its gonna be too late. also some teams could lose or be unsure about 1 of their corners due to free agency and where they are at in the new cba if they have not settled on it. so unless 1 of them 2 guys have a bad combine i dont see them slipping that far. but who knows, i have seen stranger things happen on draft day, its hard telling what may happen.

I know the current player rankings reflect there lofty status as possible top ten picks, but it's way too soon to make the assumption it will stay that way. Personally, I would rate Amukamara higher based on games I've seen. That's just my take. Even if one them is still there at 13, doesn't necessarily mean they are BPA. I guess at that point you decide if need is more important. I expect Mayhew to address the needs prior to the draft, so it isn't an issue.

January 11th, 2011, 4:22 pm
RIP Killer

On a similar topic, anyone know why Brandon Harris has suddenly taken a nose dive in player rankings? At one time I've seen him listed as a possible top 15, easily top 20 pick, now I'm seeing some places have him going at the end of round one, or later.

I know that there was a winter exhibition against Notre Dame where he supposedly looked pretty bad......but we're talking about an exhibition.

Anyways, in regards to Amukamara falling to 13, if it happens you take him. You don't trade down and hope to get a CB later on. That's insane. Our secondary needs help, and waiting would be foolish. It's been 13 years since the Lions have selected a CB in the first round (unfortunately it was Terry Fair, one pick BEFORE Randy Moss). The Lions have largely ignored the position, and this is where it got them. We have the line to pressure, now we need the cover guys to make the QB pay for his mistakes.

There are some that contend getting a "shutdown" corner is impossible, because the league has made it that way with their rules against downfield contact, even if it's incidental. However, I am of the opinion that it makes getting that style of corner even MORE important. It means that you have to look for a guy who has awesome technique and athletic skills, as well as incredible instincts. They are few and far between. Personally, I don't know that any of the corners in this draft are a combination of all that, but they could develop into something very good.....certainly better than what we have right now, particularly if Houston leaves in free agency.

January 11th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next