View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Hoke Named UM Coach 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Hoke Named UM Coach
I'm not overly enthused with this hire, but ateast DickRod won't be back. Like many others, I was hoping for Harbaugh with Les Miles as my second choice. It's too bad that they couldn't have fired Rodriguez last year and hired Harbaugh or Brian Kelly then, but it is what it is. Regardless, I'll support Brady Hoke and give him the benefit of the doubt for atleast a year and a half like I did DickRod. Hopefully, he won't display utter incompetence in all facets of the game like the previous coach did though. If he does, I'll turn on him just as fast.

January 11th, 2011, 10:03 pm
RIP Killer

I wish I could take credit for this:

Quote:
The Hoke Pokey:

You put your DickRod in... you take your DickRod out. You put a losing record coach in and you pay him a high amount...

January 11th, 2011, 10:07 pm
Modmin Dude

Freep wrote:
Posted: Jan. 12, 2011
More signs that, even from afar, Brady remained a Michigan Man
By MARK SNYDER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

New Michigan football coach Brady Hoke loves the school and the football program.

He always has — and it’s the reason during his job interview at San Diego State that he told his athletic director how important Michigan was to him.

Talk to enough people about Hoke and everyone says they respect him and most say they love him.

It’s his loyalty and deep passion for the players and U-M that sticks with them years later.

Hoke’s connection to Michigan is long and personal.

That’s one reason he was excited about the scheduled game this fall, bringing San Diego State to Michigan Stadium on Sept. 24. It’s a place he cares about deeply and, at the time, he didn’t know that he’d ever coach there again.

(His previous trip, with Ball State in 2006, nearly derailed Michigan’s undefeated season two weeks before the 1 vs. 2 meeting with Ohio State. Ball State entered the game 3-6, but the Wolverines barely won, 34-26. Hoke’s squad then won its last two games.)

Past Michigan players’ connection to him is not just lip service.

Last summer, Hoke attended the Griese/Hutchinson/Woodson charity golf dinner in Ann Arbor. The dinner and weekend benefited the construction of the new Mott Women and Children’s Hospital, among other U-M hospital-related charities. Most people in attendance were alums, former football players or people strongly connected to the school.

Yet Hoke, who is not an alum of the school and was eight years removed from even being an assistant coach, was there. He flew across the country to show his former players support. He stood in the back of the room at the dinner and enjoyed a Michigan moment, with no desire to be the center of attention.

This summer, though, it will be a different experience at the gala. His job title will place him in the front of the room, as the new face of Michigan football.

Contact Mark Snyder: msnyder@freepress.com. Read more in his blog at freep.com/wolverinesblog and follow him on Twitter @freepwolverines.

Read more: More signs that, even from afar, Brady remained a Michigan Man | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20110112/S ... z1ApwvcfSq

January 12th, 2011, 11:54 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I like what I'm reading, especially the comments on him from former players. I also like that he's a strong recruiter.

If anything, I'm glad UofM will have an exciting offseason because it looks like the Lions and the rest of the NFL won't have an offseason, period. #-o :-({|= :crybaby:

January 12th, 2011, 12:47 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Articles like that are my problem with the Hoke hire.

Who cares if he's a "Michigan Man"? Sure its nice, but that should never be the primary reason why you hire someone.

The whole thing reminds me of Alabama post-Bear Bryant--chasing some kind of mythical coach who's going to replicate the past.

I'll support the guy, and I hope he wins and wins big. I just don't like the direction the program has taken, and I question his ability to get top recruits. "I love Michigan! You should love Michigan too!" is not an effective recruiting speech to an 18 year old kid in Florida or California.

Considering that he may not have a QB next year, Ill be shocked if we win more than four games.

January 12th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Head Cheerleader

Did Hoke say yesterday in his press conference that he is still going to run the 3-3-5 defense?

January 13th, 2011, 8:28 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

overmier10 wrote:
Did Hoke say yesterday in his press conference that he is still going to run the 3-3-5 defense?

Yes he did and that is one of my concerns with hm. He said people basically didn't understand the scheme, that it will work int he B10, and you'll see variations off of it. If he can coached it up to work, then I'll shutup, till then I'll be a critic against it.

January 13th, 2011, 8:45 am
RIP Killer

Holy crap... really? So what is the benefit if he is going to run the same crappy system as RR? At least RR ran a fantastic offense... I might be joining the "Oh crap" bandwagon after that statement. Unless he equals or beats RR offense, he's gonna be just as bad or worse.

January 13th, 2011, 10:31 am

steensn wrote:
Holy crap... really? So what is the benefit if he is going to run the same crappy system as RR? At least RR ran a fantastic offense... I might be joining the "Oh crap" bandwagon after that statement. Unless he equals or beats RR offense, he's gonna be just as bad or worse.

That is the way I understood what he said in his presser, I'll try to find a direct quote on the question on the 3-3-5 later on, got to run out for awhile.

January 13th, 2011, 11:01 am
Head Cheerleader

The principle of 3-3-5 might work when your playing against speed/smaller passing teams. In the Big 10 not so much. Your substituting a DT for a Nickel back basically. I like the fact he said he's keeping it since I'm a buckeye fan and I'm sure Wisconsin loves it as well.

He'll do better than RR just for the fact that he cares more. However next season could be bad if he tries putting Denard under center for the majority of the snaps.

January 13th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Hoke defended the 3-3-5 defense, an alignment that drew a lot of criticism during Rodriguez's tenure. "People need to be educated on what that defense is," Hoke said, adding that it can work in the Big Ten. "There are multiple ways to play it with the personnel you have on the field.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

January 13th, 2011, 12:54 pm
RIP Killer

I hope that means like having one of the DB's the size of a LB and close to the box...

January 13th, 2011, 1:01 pm
steensn wrote:
I hope that means like having one of the DB's the size of a LB and close to the box...

That's what I took from it. It sounded to me like Hoke was more praising a 3-4 system that utilizes a safety as one of the LBs. As long as we can stop the run I don't care how many DL, LB or DBs are on the field, but if we can't stop the run they better damn well make some adjustments. That's what pissed me off last year. We would keep doing the same damn thing over and over again, not stop anyone, and wonder why we lost games... I still can't believe that William Campbell can't get his fatass on the field. 6'5 350lbs. of beef would seemingly do wonders toward busting up an opponents run game.

January 13th, 2011, 2:37 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:

That's what I took from it. It sounded to me like Hoke was more praising a 3-4 system that utilizes a safety as one of the LBs. As long as we can stop the run I don't care how many DL, LB or DBs are on the field, but if we can't stop the run they better damn well make some adjustments. That's what pissed me off last year. We would keep doing the same damn thing over and over again, not stop anyone, and wonder why we lost games... I still can't believe that William Campbell can't get his fatass on the field. 6'5 350lbs. of beef would seemingly do wonders toward busting up an opponents run game.

Hoke is a DL coach by trade, maybe he'll be able to motivate Campbell who seemed to be lost in RR system. The last thing I heard about the kid was that they were going to move him to guard on the offensive side of the ball but that could change with the new HC. You're right though about stopping the run and making the adjustments, all seemed to be irrelavent the last few last year.

January 13th, 2011, 3:03 pm
RIP Killer

If that is the case, it is NOT the same 3-3-5 that RR ran, which is good. It would require a hybrid position, OSU has that and calls it the STAR position in the nickel. We actually used a converted LB, Tyler Moehler (guy who got punched out and lost a season), for that position and it worked well. Doesn't seem that much different and allows for flexibility. The only difference being that you take a DL out and move them to a hybrid LB/Safety.

January 13th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next