View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Luck to return to Stanford. 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Luck to return to Stanford.
Another thing that seems to keep getting glossed over here is that Luck himself said, apparently several times:
Quote:
Always said he wanted to stay 4 yrs; next yr would be 4th yr

So now we have some peeps bashing him for showing even a thread of integrity??? Personally I give the kid props. He's doing it the way he wants to and there's nothing wrong with that. Not too mention one of the biggest complaints about star athletes these days is how self-centered and money grubbing they are. IMO its a bit refreshing to hear someone that knows they'll make millions of dollars show some restraint and unselfishness. Also, he's only a sophomore, at least one more year will do him good IMO.

January 7th, 2011, 9:53 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Another thing that seems to keep getting glossed over here is that Luck himself said, apparently several times:
Quote:
Always said he wanted to stay 4 yrs; next yr would be 4th yr

So now we have some peeps bashing him for showing even a thread of integrity??? Personally I give the kid props. He's doing it the way he wants to and there's nothing wrong with that. Not too mention one of the biggest complaints about star athletes these days is how self-centered and money grubbing they are. IMO its a bit refreshing to hear someone that knows they'll make millions of dollars show some restraint and unselfishness. Also, he's only a sophomore, at least one more year will do him good IMO.

Wags - who is "bashing him for showing even a thread of integrity"? I think that comment is simply ridiculous. He said he wanted to stay 4 years. Good for him. I don't care. I simply said why I think it's a dumb move. Dislike my comment all you want, it's not going to change my opinion, nor was I remotely bashing him for staying true to his word.

January 7th, 2011, 10:46 am
Modmin Dude

conversion02 wrote:
Wags - who is "bashing him for showing even a thread of integrity"? I think that comment is simply ridiculous. He said he wanted to stay 4 years. Good for him. I don't care. I simply said why I think it's a dumb move. Dislike my comment all you want, it's not going to change my opinion, nor was I remotely bashing him for staying true to his word.

Convo - These are from this thread:
Quote:
sorry, but dumb decision

Quote:
To be young and foolish

Quote:
he's making a poor decision

Sounds like bashing to me...granted the "integrity" line is my opinion, but bashing nonetheless

January 7th, 2011, 10:52 am
RIP Killer

I don't believe anybody saying it's a dumb choice is "bashing" him at all. I think there's been a lot of dumb choices that the lions coaching staff has made this year, but I'm not bashing THEM, I'm just saying I don't agree with those decisions and state why.

Just because someone disagrees and says why, doesn't mean they're bashing the person.

January 7th, 2011, 10:59 am
RIP Killer

If $ is the only standard, then yes it was foolish. Luckily... $ isn't... it is about things more important. Good head on his shoulders.

January 7th, 2011, 11:06 am
RIP Killer

I've given my reasons why I think it is a questionable move. It's obviously his decision to make, he stood firm to his principals, and I respect him for that. I'm not bashing him, just questioning the advice he may be getting. Remember, he's a young kid yet, and we all know that in that age bracket they tend to make foolish decisions that impact their future. His friends in college, or his girlfriend, or whoever are probably telling him "don't go, aren't you having fun here?", and he thinks about that, and not what this RARE opportunity can do for him for years to come.

When you are a top overall pick in the NFL, unless you crash and burn significantly (David Carr), being that top pick is a bargaining point for the remainder of your career. Even if you are signed as a backup, your agent can use that "honor" as a bargaining point to get more. That can't be overlooked.

And if the money isn't a big deal to him, great. Then why continue playing football in college? I'm sure he's not doing it just for the free education. The biggest single reason to play college football is to get drafted and play in the NFL for big money. Getting drafted first overall is the epitomy of that. The lower you are picked, the greater the chance of the team who took you giving up on you and cutting you. It also makes the chance of another team picking you up afterward far less likely. A team will tend to sign a higher pick over a lower pick, thinking that the higher pick has talent that wasn't used.

So, those are my thoughts. Time will tell if he's making a poor decision or not.

January 7th, 2011, 12:12 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Peyton Manning advised Andrew Luck on returning to Stanford
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 7, 2011, 12:53 PM EST

Before Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decided to eschew the NFL draft, he spoke with another quarterback who surprised people by returning to school when he could have entered the NFL draft and gone No. 1 overall: Peyton Manning.

Andrew’s father, Oliver Luck, was an NFL teammate of Peyton’s dad, Archie Manning. And Oliver told KTAR that their longtime friendship gave Andrew access to Peyton, who told Andrew about his own experience of returning to Tennessee for his senior season in 1997, when he likely would have been the first pick in the draft if he had left school following his junior year.

“Before he made his decision he had a couple of long conversations with Peyton,” Oliver Luck said. “Archie and I played together way back when with the old Houston Oilers, so we’ve known the family, and Peyton’s kind of acted like a mentor to Andrew. So he got advice not just from his old man and his mom, but
some people like Peyton Manning, Eli and others who have gone through it.”

Although Peyton Manning may have just become the NFL’s least popular player among Carolina Panthers fans, it makes sense that the Manning brothers would both advise Luck that things tend to turn out pretty well for highly regarded quarterbacks who decide not to enter the NFL draft early. Luck clearly made a well-informed decision when he chose to put the NFL millions on hold for another year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -stanford/

January 7th, 2011, 3:39 pm
RIP Killer

Well, now that Harbaugh's leaving, I wouldn't say it looks any better in the least bit for Luck.

January 7th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I think the thing most people are forgetting about is that the CBA is ending. I highly doubt any owner is going to sign their rookies before the new CBA with a rookie wage scale is in place. Which means barring a significant injury he will probably make more money next year than he would this season.

January 8th, 2011, 8:24 am
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
I think the thing most people are forgetting about is that the CBA is ending. I highly doubt any owner is going to sign their rookies before the new CBA with a rookie wage scale is in place. Which means barring a significant injury he will probably make more money next year than he would this season.

Only if he gets picked first next year. He's healthy now.....he's almost guaranteed to be the first pick now.......his coach is leaving, now. He's risking money in the future for good times now. It's his decision to make, and he's seemingly made it. And I know there's more to life than just money. But let's face facts, very very few of the players who go into the NFL would do so if it paid like a firefighters or cops salary. Going into the NFL is about the money. It's about the endorsements. And you get more endorsement money being a first overall pick, particularly at QB where you're the face of a franchise. Sounds greedy, but it is what it is.

If he gets hurt, or has a down year ala Locker and doesn't get picked first, he'll be kicking himself when he sees the millions he loses, rookie wage scale or not. And I don't believe for a second that the new CBA will have a scale that will limit the first overall pick to $3M per year average. I could see a cap of $6-8M, but certainly not THAT ($3M per) low.

I still think the difference in value of the contract between the first pick and the second pick will be measured in millions. Maybe not tens of millions, but millions nonetheless.

January 8th, 2011, 9:24 am
Hall of Fame Player

The owner of the Panthers is the guy that was the driving force behind opting out of the current CBA and pushing for a rookie wage scale. Maybe Luck didn't want to play for him.

January 8th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I respect Luck's decision since it's his life and career, but I don't agree with it. I've always thought that if you're projected as a 1st round pick, especially top ten, then you declare for the draft. The main reason is that you never know what will happen the following season. Of course, he could get injured, but there are other factors that could affect his draft stock beyond his control. What if his OL or WRs get decimated by injuries and it reduces his production/effectiveness? What if another QB (or player) emerges who bypasses him on most teams' boards? As the near-consensus first overall pick this year, his stock can only remain the same or go down. It's just too big of a risk to take IMO.

January 8th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

conversion02 wrote:
Well, now that Harbaugh's leaving, I wouldn't say it looks any better in the least bit for Luck.

ya, other than earning a degree from Stanford.

January 12th, 2011, 4:15 pm
Can't he still change his mind up until the 15th?

January 12th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Div 1 - Starter

yup

January 12th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2