View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Nnamdi Asomugha 
Div 1 - Starter

Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
Killwill25 wrote:
It seems impossible for us to get him and Tulloch. I'm now very glad that we did'nt sign Atogwe or Jarrad Page. We are now in a position to set up our secondary for the long term future. I really hope we draft a CB ealier than we did last year.

Can anybody find a reliable list of DB & LB prospects going to the NFL?

Not many DBs coming out with a first-round grade, and so far one LB with a first-round grade, and the only other LB prospect that *might* be worth a first round pick hasn't declared (Ayers).

From Mel Kiper - so take this with a huge grain of salt.

1 Da'Quan Bowers * DE
6-4

Analysis: A possible No. 1 pick with Luck opting to stay in school, Bowers has followed through on his talent. A former top-rated overall recruit. Last week: No. 2

2 Nick Fairley * DT
6-5

Analysis: Fairley simply dominated and has one more showcase game for scouts. He often was a force even while not 100 percent. A top-10 lock currently. Last week: No. 3

3 A.J. Green * WR
6-4

Analysis: Not sure people realize what kind of route-runner he's become. Green has worked hard to become a complete WR. Last week: No. 4

4 Patrick Peterson * CB
6-1

Analysis: An extraordinary athlete, Peterson doesn't just have safety size -- he'd measure up to a lot of RBs. Great total package -- cornerback and return game. Last week: No. 5

5 Prince Amukamara CB
6-1

Analysis: Top marks for instincts, ball awareness and ball skills. It's as if he's running the route sometimes. Immediate starter. Last week: No. 6

6 Marcell Dareus * DE
6-3

Analysis: A solid penetrator; pass-rush skills trump run-stopping performance thus far. Best suited at 4-3 DT, needs to show consistent effort to scouts. Last week: No. 7

7 Robert Quinn * DE
6-4

Analysis: Great natural pass-rusher, solid athlete, serious motor. Still raw with time off, but scouts love his natural ability. Last week: No. 8

8 Blaine Gabbert * QB
6-5

Analysis: Strong arm, good mobility, prototype in terms of physical skills. Ranked all year in my top QBs. Jumps with draft declaration, improved stock. Last week: NR

9 Von Miller LB
6-3

Analysis: Miller proved that he's more than a sack artist this season. He showed coverage skills to go along with known pass-rush production. Edge burner. Last week: No. 9

10 Ryan Kerrigan DE
6-4

Analysis: Led nation with 26 tackles for loss and became impossible to block, even against double-teams. Ideal as a 3-4 OLB but possible at DE in a 3-4. Last week: No. 14

11 Akeem Ayers * OLB
6-4

Analysis: Exceptional athleticism makes him versatile. Ideal every-down 3-4 OLB who can rush the passer and cover. Top coverage skills of any OLB so far. Last week: No. 16

12 Cam Newton * QB
6-6

Analysis: He has size and athleticism, but also underrated accuracy. Extends plays; good patience. Lacks experience and any time in pro-style scheme. Last week: No. 12

13 Julio Jones * WR
6-4

January 10th, 2011, 4:38 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know how accurate the stats are, but I heard on the radio that in the past two season, Asomugha has only had 23 passes completed on him. That's 23 passes in 32 games.

That's beyond incredible. It will be interesting to see just how much money he commands. I don't know if the Lions would be willing to pay that much. I can see him expecting $15M per season, minimum.

January 10th, 2011, 7:10 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I don't know how accurate the stats are, but I heard on the radio that in the past two season, Asomugha has only had 23 passes completed on him. That's 23 passes in 32 games.

That's beyond incredible. It will be interesting to see just how much money he commands. I don't know if the Lions would be willing to pay that much. I can see him expecting $15M per season, minimum.

I agree. And as much as I would absolutely love to have him, im not getting my hopes up just to be let down the first day of the Free Agency period. Speaking of, when does free agency begin this year?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 10th, 2011, 7:58 pm
NFL Veteran

I'm game for me some Asomugha.

I would normally pass this off as fan banter, but seeing how our draft position has effectively taken us out of the Peterson/Amakamura sweepstakes, I'm down for taking an elite shut down corner, then pray Akeem Ayers falls to us.

Over.

kds... Free Agency starts when the as yet to be drafted and signed new CBA says so.

January 10th, 2011, 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

m2karateman wrote:

The stats are pretty accurate. As far as a contract, he can expect $15m but he won't get it. That's starting QB money, not CB. There are already articles in the Oakland (CA) papers explaining why Asomugha's contract was allowed to void.

A shutdown CB is worth a lot, but not that kind of money.

January 10th, 2011, 9:26 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

DisgruntledFan wrote:
What's Revis making now with his contract? I'd imagine that we'd have to pay comparably unfortunately. Although one thing I wonder about is how much his contract could sort of "come back down to earth" considering how much Oakland over-paid him and set up such an exorbitant contract to begin with. I have to wonder how much he'd want to continue playing for a a "rebuilding team" after being on an equally struggling team for so long, but at least the end of this season went a long way to show Detroit's potential.

Revis's contract is 4 years $46 million

Nnamdi would require at least $12 mil per year but he is worth it. Schwartz will have to really sell the Lions if he wants him because Nnamdi wants to play for a winner like the Jets (he likes Rex Ryans aggressive style defense) or the Packers (he would love to play with Woodson).

The main problem for him will be finding a winner thats willing to pay $12 million a year to get him. The Pack owner is stingy with the checkbook abd the Jets couldn't afford to put another huge chunck into a corner position even with Cromartie becoming a Free Agent this year (Revis making $11.5 million/year, and they just spent their 1st rounder last year on Kyle Wilson but he only makes about $2.5 million/year - That would be minimum $26 million on just 3 corners!)

So a up and coming team like the Lions could sell him with a aggressive defensive plan with a strong defensive minded head coach and young defensive talent like the potential defensive rookie of the year. Its not to far of a stretch to think we have a lot of key elements that would draw his attention. We just have to pay. But like I said, he is worth it!

January 10th, 2011, 11:30 pm
RIP Killer

Meechigan89 wrote:
The Pack owner is stingy with the checkbook

The fans are stingy? You mean Ted Thompson?

January 11th, 2011, 8:52 am
Walk On

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... t_l_2.html

we have to land this guy

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

January 12th, 2011, 1:57 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Some would say we dont need super corners with a Defense focused on Dline, just decent LBs and CBs. O)ther say a single CB can be made less relevant by switching the sides of your best receivers. But IMO, even at 12 mill x 4-5 years, you take him. You have him always cover their best WR a la Revis, and you count that the best receiver for each opponent is going to be severely limited. Draft another CB to compete/replace houston, use A Smith as Nickel, and let Jack Williams, Brandon MacDonald and Aaron Berry fight over Dime/Depth spots. Draft a LB and sign a Mid level LB (better than petersen and follet this past year) and our D would transform. Thats 2 FA, 2 Draft Pics.

January 12th, 2011, 3:23 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Head Cheerleader

It would be great to have him, but another way to look at it is if he signs with a team that drafts ahead of us maybe we can draft Peterson or Prince.

January 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm
Div 1 - Starter

overmier10 wrote:
It would be great to have him, but another way to look at it is if he signs with a team that drafts ahead of us maybe we can draft Peterson or Prince.

Not sure that would happen. By all accounts this draft is really short on talent, and if Peterson or Prince are still on the board and a team has already gotten Asomugha, they might very well draft either DB and have two monster CBs, especially since it looks like the CBA won't happen without a rookie pay scale.

January 13th, 2011, 11:17 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

May I be the first to say that I'll pass on Asomugha? He'll turn 30 this summer and most CBs begin to decline at that point. I know that there are exceptions like Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, and others, but $15M per year or so is too much of a risk to take IMO. I could see it if the Lions were a CB away from reaching the Super Bowl, but they're not. Sorry.

January 14th, 2011, 10:36 pm
slybri19 wrote:
May I be the first to say that I'll pass on Asomugha? He'll turn 30 this summer and most CBs begin to decline at that point. I know that there are exceptions like Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, and others, but $15M per year or so is too much of a risk to take IMO. I could see it if the Lions were a CB away from reaching the Super Bowl, but they're not. Sorry.

I'm in the same boat... TWO quality, younger, FAs for the same price please!!!

January 15th, 2011, 1:00 am
Walk On

slybri19 wrote:

No, but they are a CB away from the playoffs.

In the playoffs, every team has a chance.

I want Mayhew to put the best possible team on the field, I don't see the point in not signing him because we're "not good enough." We don't have so many holes anymore so that isn't an issue. Look at the names you mentioned- Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson. I think it's safe to say Nnamdi is in that category, but of course that awaits to be seen.

One could assume the cap will be raised from last year. If that's the case, money will not be an issue. That gives us four of the best players in the league at their respective positions (besides Stafford, who could be there someday). That is how you build championship teams. If we sign Nnamdi and have a good draft, we very well could be in the discussion come playoff time. We would have one hell of a nasty defense, and we all know what the offense is capable of.

My main point- this team is no longer in "rebuilding" mode. It's time to be competitive, and he gives us the best chance at being such.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

January 15th, 2011, 3:18 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

thegodjr wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

No, but they are a CB away from the playoffs.

In the playoffs, every team has a chance.

I want Mayhew to put the best possible team on the field, I don't see the point in not signing him because we're "not good enough." We don't have so many holes anymore so that isn't an issue. Look at the names you mentioned- Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson. I think it's safe to say Nnamdi is in that category, but of course that awaits to be seen.

One could assume the cap will be raised from last year. If that's the case, money will not be an issue. That gives us four of the best players in the league at their respective positions (besides Stafford, who could be there someday). That is how you build championship teams. If we sign Nnamdi and have a good draft, we very well could be in the discussion come playoff time. We would have one hell of a nasty defense, and we all know what the offense is capable of.

My main point- this team is no longer in "rebuilding" mode. It's time to be competitive, and he gives us the best chance at being such.

Disagree about " this team is no longer in "rebuilding" mode. " The LB unit is a question mark all across the board. We haven't seen a full seasons of work from Levy at MLB, and the other two spots are wide-open. The secondary has only one solid player in Delmas. In my opinion we are totally in a building mode in regards to the back seven. This doesn't mean I'm not in favor of pursuing Asomugha, quite the contrary. Feel he would elevate the play of the secondary. Don't feel age is a concern, he's only 30, in his prime. Woodson (34) and Bailey (32) still perform at high levels. Wasn't Woodson the defensive player of the year the previous season?

January 15th, 2011, 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next