View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 9:08 am



Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Nnamdi Asomugha 
Author Message
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3123
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
I don't see any way that he comes here. Sure he wants a big contract, and we could give that to him, but I think he wants to play for a contender. The Pats can always use a good corner. I don't think the Jets are an option because that'd be a lot of money tied up in one spot. Washington tends to lure guys away and they have Rodgers possibly leaving via free agency, creating a void in the secondary.

Just read while I was posting this: It contradicts the idea that he wants to go to a contender but he said he could definitely see himself re-signing with the Raiders.


January 15th, 2011, 2:36 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Posts: 391
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
liontrax wrote:
thegodjr wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
May I be the first to say that I'll pass on Asomugha? He'll turn 30 this summer and most CBs begin to decline at that point. I know that there are exceptions like Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, and others, but $15M per year or so is too much of a risk to take IMO. I could see it if the Lions were a CB away from reaching the Super Bowl, but they're not. Sorry.

No, but they are a CB away from the playoffs.

In the playoffs, every team has a chance.

I want Mayhew to put the best possible team on the field, I don't see the point in not signing him because we're "not good enough." We don't have so many holes anymore so that isn't an issue. Look at the names you mentioned- Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson. I think it's safe to say Nnamdi is in that category, but of course that awaits to be seen.

One could assume the cap will be raised from last year. If that's the case, money will not be an issue. That gives us four of the best players in the league at their respective positions (besides Stafford, who could be there someday). That is how you build championship teams. If we sign Nnamdi and have a good draft, we very well could be in the discussion come playoff time. We would have one hell of a nasty defense, and we all know what the offense is capable of.

My main point- this team is no longer in "rebuilding" mode. It's time to be competitive, and he gives us the best chance at being such.



Disagree about " this team is no longer in "rebuilding" mode. " The LB unit is a question mark all across the board. We haven't seen a full seasons of work from Levy at MLB, and the other two spots are wide-open. The secondary has only one solid player in Delmas. In my opinion we are totally in a building mode in regards to the back seven. This doesn't mean I'm not in favor of pursuing Asomugha, quite the contrary. Feel he would elevate the play of the secondary. Don't feel age is a concern, he's only 30, in his prime. Woodson (34) and Bailey (32) still perform at high levels. Wasn't Woodson the defensive player of the year the previous season?

Levy, Delmas, Spievay, and Houston (assuming he resigns) are all starting next year. That leaves 1 CB and 2 LB spots we need to fill, that is not rebuilding. Maybe "filling the last remaining holes" would be a more appropriate term. Every team has question marks at certain spots, there is no such thing as a "perfect" team.

We have talent at CB, just not #1 talent. Levy is very talented as well, and I believe the coaching staff is happy with Spievay starting next year. He is my darkhorse for next year.

_________________
Image
2011 AAL: Jahvid Best
Rushing: 390 Yards : 4.6 YPC : 2 TD : 65 YPG
Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions


January 15th, 2011, 3:24 pm
Profile
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
liontrax wrote:
Disagree about " this team is no longer in "rebuilding" mode. " The LB unit is a question mark all across the board. We haven't seen a full seasons of work from Levy at MLB, and the other two spots are wide-open. The secondary has only one solid player in Delmas. In my opinion we are totally in a building mode in regards to the back seven. This doesn't mean I'm not in favor of pursuing Asomugha, quite the contrary. Feel he would elevate the play of the secondary. Don't feel age is a concern, he's only 30, in his prime. Woodson (34) and Bailey (32) still perform at high levels. Wasn't Woodson the defensive player of the year the previous season?



I'm with you. This team is far from a playoff contender. We have holes at LB, S, RB, RG, RT, and both CB spots if Houston leaves. To say that our other S spot is set because Spivey played there last year is ridiculous. IMO there are few teams, if any, that could make the playoffs with our line backers and secondary, and we're not one or two players away on either unit.


January 15th, 2011, 3:43 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
I don't know about a "rebuilding mode" as we have some of the main positions covered with fairly young guys......CJ, Stafford, Best, Pettigrew, Sims, Suh, Hill, Avril, Delmas, Levy......that's a pretty damn good start, and what I would say is a solid nucleus. I would say the team is in more of a "stocking" or "re-stocking" mode....looking for the pieces to complete the puzzle. No team has every single position set with a solid starter.....none. All teams, no matter how good, have a couple positions, or more, that have questionable talent starting and playing. But they all have core players that are counted on and who can contribute at high levels.

I would like to see us get our LBs, our CBs, another safety, a legitimate RG, upgrade at the 3/4 receiver spot, maybe a power running back.....but the Lions don't necessarily HAVE to get all of that in place to contend for the NFCN title and get into the playoffs. Nice to have, but not need to have. Now the Lions have to not only look for "upgrades" at the positions mentioned, but also look for future starters at LT, OC, RDE and possibly even at QB if Stafford can't keep himself on the field.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 15th, 2011, 4:04 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7119
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
m2karateman wrote:
I don't know about a "rebuilding mode" as we have some of the main positions covered with fairly young guys......CJ, Stafford, Best, Pettigrew, Sims, Suh, Hill, Avril, Delmas, Levy......that's a pretty damn good start, and what I would say is a solid nucleus. I would say the team is in more of a "stocking" or "re-stocking" mode....looking for the pieces to complete the puzzle. No team has every single position set with a solid starter.....none. All teams, no matter how good, have a couple positions, or more, that have questionable talent starting and playing. But they all have core players that are counted on and who can contribute at high levels.

I would like to see us get our LBs, our CBs, another safety, a legitimate RG, upgrade at the 3/4 receiver spot, maybe a power running back.....but the Lions don't necessarily HAVE to get all of that in place to contend for the NFCN title and get into the playoffs. Nice to have, but not need to have. Now the Lions have to not only look for "upgrades" at the positions mentioned, but also look for future starters at LT, OC, RDE and possibly even at QB if Stafford can't keep himself on the field.


Yeah. But, if Stafford gets hurt again, we can trade our entire draft next year for the #1 pick and take Luck. LOL.


January 15th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Profile
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
m2karateman wrote:
I don't know about a "rebuilding mode" as we have some of the main positions covered with fairly young guys......CJ, Stafford, Best, Pettigrew, Sims, Suh, Hill, Avril, Delmas, Levy......that's a pretty damn good start, and what I would say is a solid nucleus. I would say the team is in more of a "stocking" or "re-stocking" mode....looking for the pieces to complete the puzzle. No team has every single position set with a solid starter.....none. All teams, no matter how good, have a couple positions, or more, that have questionable talent starting and playing. But they all have core players that are counted on and who can contribute at high levels.

I would like to see us get our LBs, our CBs, another safety, a legitimate RG, upgrade at the 3/4 receiver spot, maybe a power running back.....but the Lions don't necessarily HAVE to get all of that in place to contend for the NFCN title and get into the playoffs. Nice to have, but not need to have. Now the Lions have to not only look for "upgrades" at the positions mentioned, but also look for future starters at LT, OC, RDE and possibly even at QB if Stafford can't keep himself on the field.


I understand your point, I just don't see much of a difference between "stocking" and "building." I agree that we've come a long way and we have key positions in place, but we still have a ton of holes to fill. I also agree with you on the positions of need and the positions of luxury upgrades/future consideration.


January 15th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Posts: 391
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
m2karateman wrote:
I don't know about a "rebuilding mode" as we have some of the main positions covered with fairly young guys......CJ, Stafford, Best, Pettigrew, Sims, Suh, Hill, Avril, Delmas, Levy......that's a pretty damn good start, and what I would say is a solid nucleus. I would say the team is in more of a "stocking" or "re-stocking" mode....looking for the pieces to complete the puzzle. No team has every single position set with a solid starter.....none. All teams, no matter how good, have a couple positions, or more, that have questionable talent starting and playing. But they all have core players that are counted on and who can contribute at high levels.

I would like to see us get our LBs, our CBs, another safety, a legitimate RG, upgrade at the 3/4 receiver spot, maybe a power running back.....but the Lions don't necessarily HAVE to get all of that in place to contend for the NFCN title and get into the playoffs. Nice to have, but not need to have. Now the Lions have to not only look for "upgrades" at the positions mentioned, but also look for future starters at LT, OC, RDE and possibly even at QB if Stafford can't keep himself on the field.

Great post :cheers:

So great, I need not respond

_________________
Image
2011 AAL: Jahvid Best
Rushing: 390 Yards : 4.6 YPC : 2 TD : 65 YPG
Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions


January 15th, 2011, 10:45 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I understand your point, I just don't see much of a difference between "stocking" and "building." I agree that we've come a long way and we have key positions in place, but we still have a ton of holes to fill. I also agree with you on the positions of need and the positions of luxury upgrades/future consideration.


My definition is that building includes putting up the foundation, or in the case of a football team, the core. The Lions pretty much have that. Stocking means filling in the pieces. You have to build the grocery store before you can stock the shelves. They have some work to do, no doubt. They still have needs, they have a shortage on talent at CB and LB, everybody knows that. But like I said, every team has weaknesses somewhere. The Lions have at least assembled talent at some key spots.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 15th, 2011, 10:52 pm
Profile
Walk On
User avatar

Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:17 pm
Posts: 391
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I understand your point, I just don't see much of a difference between "stocking" and "building." I agree that we've come a long way and we have key positions in place, but we still have a ton of holes to fill. I also agree with you on the positions of need and the positions of luxury upgrades/future consideration.


My definition is that building includes putting up the foundation, or in the case of a football team, the core. The Lions pretty much have that. Stocking means filling in the pieces. You have to build the grocery store before you can stock the shelves. They have some work to do, no doubt. They still have needs, they have a shortage on talent at CB and LB, everybody knows that. But like I said, every team has weaknesses somewhere. The Lions have at least assembled talent at some key spots.

And that is why we should make a run at Nnamdi

_________________
Image
2011 AAL: Jahvid Best
Rushing: 390 Yards : 4.6 YPC : 2 TD : 65 YPG
Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions


January 15th, 2011, 11:36 pm
Profile
Red Shirt Freshman

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 511
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
slybri19 wrote:
May I be the first to say that I'll pass on Asomugha? He'll turn 30 this summer and most CBs begin to decline at that point. I know that there are exceptions like Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, and others, but $15M per year or so is too much of a risk to take IMO. I could see it if the Lions were a CB away from reaching the Super Bowl, but they're not. Sorry.


I don't think Asomugha will get even close to $10M per year, for the reasons you stated and the fact that his previous contract was an anomaly. If the Raiders wanted to keep him, they could have offered him similar money in a re-worked contract (and that agreement may be in place already, pending a new CBA).

No team that is already a consistent playoff contender is going to blow big bucks on a 30yr-old CB. Those teams tend to build through the draft and mid-range FAs that play their heads off in the system (See Green Bay and New England). Teams that are a player or two away are *not* in need a CB, they usually need a franchise QB and/or some other Offensive skill positions. (Detroit has those covered as starters and are looking for depth).

So right now Asomugha would be a good fit *if* he comes at the right price for the right number of years. That would give the Lions a better shot at getting into the playoffs, while also allowing them to get some young CBs in the mid-rounds over the next few years to start replacing current starters as needed. Ted Thompson in Green Bay has proven to be a master at that, and I think Mayhew had the same smarts and player evaluation skills.

So, if the price is right, absolutely get Asomugha. If Aso has been reading his press clippings too often, then re-sign Houston, coach up Alphonso, and draft as needed.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


January 16th, 2011, 12:40 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
Quote:
I don't see any way that he comes here. Sure he wants a big contract, and we could give that to him, but I think he wants to play for a contender. The Pats can always use a good corner. I don't think the Jets are an option because that'd be a lot of money tied up in one spot. Washington tends to lure guys away and they have Rodgers possibly leaving via free agency, creating a void in the secondary.

Just read while I was posting this: It contradicts the idea that he wants to go to a contender but he said he could definitely see himself re-signing with the Raiders


The Lions ARE a contender if they sign Nnamdi and bring back C Houston then draft A Ayers in Rd 1. It eliminates the need to draft another CB and then in rd 2 and 3 they could presumably pick up a starter at RG, S, or WLB. That would give them an above average defense. Signing Nnamdi is a big IF but thats how much of a game changer he is.


January 16th, 2011, 9:58 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3257
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
I don't see any way that he comes here. Sure he wants a big contract, and we could give that to him, but I think he wants to play for a contender. The Pats can always use a good corner. I don't think the Jets are an option because that'd be a lot of money tied up in one spot. Washington tends to lure guys away and they have Rodgers possibly leaving via free agency, creating a void in the secondary.

Just read while I was posting this: It contradicts the idea that he wants to go to a contender but he said he could definitely see himself re-signing with the Raiders


The Lions ARE a contender if they sign Nnamdi and bring back C Houston then draft A Ayers in Rd 1. It eliminates the need to draft another CB and then in rd 2 and 3 they could presumably pick up a starter at RG, S, or WLB. That would give them an above average defense. Signing Nnamdi is a big IF but thats how much of a game changer he is.



I was just about to type the same thing.

I think if we sign Nnamdi (which i still think is unlikely), and we draft Akeem Ayers in the first round, that immediately fills to major holes, one of them being filled with a player that is arguably the best at his position.

Then that leaves the rest of the draft for Mayhew to work some magic.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 16th, 2011, 10:58 am
Profile
NFL Veteran
User avatar

Joined: September 15th, 2004, 6:02 am
Posts: 1355
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Post Re: Nnamdi Asomugha
It's semantics. I guess you can say we are still in rebuilding mode.

The truth is, we are actually a lot closer to the playoffs than we've ever been before. I mean think about it. The two teams vying for an nfc title are our conference mates. Both of whome we've played down to the wire with. It's a matter of turning the close losses into wins, which they did at the end of the season. By my recollection, we've been competitive to the very end of every game with the exception of the Minny game and the Patriots game (which was competitive to thef first half).

Personel wise, we could use upgrades, but we have decent talent at all starting positions except for a couple of linebacker spots. Even the secondary is what I would consider good, with Houston and Smith back there. Delmas a stud, and Speivey coming into his own. Also excited about Aaron Berry.

We are not that far away, and I expect to compete for a playoff spot next season (if it ever comes.)

_________________
Image
Lion http://www.suh93.com


January 17th, 2011, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.