View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New NFL Playoff Rule 
RIP Killer

Post New NFL Playoff Rule
Why couldn't they just go with the NCAA overtime rules!?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ortCat=nfl

It makes sense to eliminate FG to win it right away... but dang dude... confusing.

January 6th, 2011, 6:56 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: New NFL Playoff Rule
steensn wrote:
Why couldn't they just go with the NCAA overtime rules!?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ortCat=nfl

It makes sense to eliminate FG to win it right away... but dang dude... confusing.

Prolly for the same reason the NCAA doesn't go to an NFL playoff system :wink:
Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

January 6th, 2011, 8:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

College playoff system is retarded. Its exciting, so fans like it. but hmm, lets remove Midfield Defense (since its RZ only) and Special teams other than the FG entirely from overtime?

Play 60 minutes of hard nose football, followed by an abortion of pseudo football in sudden death. No thanks.

January 7th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
College playoff system is retarded. Its exciting, so fans like it. but hmm, lets remove Midfield Defense (since its RZ only) and Special teams other than the FG entirely from overtime?

Play 60 minutes of hard nose football, followed by an abortion of pseudo football in sudden death. No thanks.

I actually agree with this. I've always felt that the teams should be forced to start at the 50. Make them get at least a first down or two before they are within reach of a FG.

Personally, I like the idea of doing the coin flip, kickoff...then after EACH team has had a possession, the first team to score wins. Not just for the playoffs, but for the season as well. If the team getting the ball first scores a TD or FG, then the other team is given their chance to tie. After that, if it is a tie score....sudden death. If you win the coin flip, you still have something of an advantage, but not nearly as much as you had before.

January 11th, 2011, 12:13 pm
RIP Killer

I like a mix of the college and NFL, none is perfect, but at least in the college it is more fair. Start at the 50, sounds good to me... but that is a small change to make a pretty darn good system compared to extending the period.

January 11th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
I like a mix of the college and NFL, none is perfect, but at least in the college it is more fair. Start at the 50, sounds good to me... but that is a small change to make a pretty darn good system compared to extending the period.

:shock: :D

January 11th, 2011, 12:36 pm
RIP Killer

Compared to first one to score wins... you seem to like to "not" say things to derail threads a lot...

January 11th, 2011, 12:44 pm
Modmin Dude

Nope, just testing my theory that some peeps just have to have the last word LOL 8)

Besides, its another Lions payoff-less off-season, just what the heck am I supposed to do? :shock: :lol:

January 11th, 2011, 12:46 pm
RIP Killer

It is the Lion's real season, pre-draft/pre-FA... this is the best time of year.

And on a discussion board.. the point IS to discuss silly. Bad place to test it out when we are all here to discuss...

January 11th, 2011, 12:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Ironically, this is the year they implemented changes , and look how the regular season overtimes turned out.

The lions were 1 of the only teams to end the game in OT on th3e 1st posession the entire year. WHen they moved the Kickoff back it made a much bigger impact than I would have suspected.

January 11th, 2011, 3:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

So far we haven't had any overtime games, but it has been close. I wonder if it happens today or during the Super Bowl if the NFL will be happy with the results. Most definitely the team that gets the short end of the stick will complain. Hopefully it's the Bears that get the shaft. Even the Jets could get hosed too and I wouldn't complain.

January 23rd, 2011, 2:01 pm
QB Coach

Wayne Fontes wrote:
So far we haven't had any overtime games, but it has been close. I wonder if it happens today or during the Super Bowl if the NFL will be happy with the results. Most definitely the team that gets the short end of the stick will complain. Hopefully it's the Bears that get the shaft. Even the Jets could get hosed too and I wouldn't complain.

How could a team get the short end of the stick with these rules? If a team drives down and scores a TD, they should win. Otherwise, both teams will get at least 1 shot. Seems fair to me.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 23rd, 2011, 2:20 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I still think it's bull. Why should the team not win if they kick a field goal? You win the toss, you drive down the field, kick a field goal, and they don't win? WHY DIDN'T THE DEFENSE STOP THEM FROM SCORING! This is what bothers me about this rule. The idea behind the rule change is that the teams should get an equal chance at the ball. Fair enough. But why should a team get penalized for kicking a field goal? If they drive 90 yards and take 7 minutes off the clock, is that not enough to warrant a win?

January 23rd, 2011, 2:40 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
It better not happen in the Super Bowl or there will be many pissed off fans.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

January 23rd, 2011, 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

I say play 15min "quarters" until a team has the lead at the end of the "quarter" or 1/5 or 1/6 or 1/7 and so on.
To me that would be fair.

Frok.

January 24th, 2011, 12:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next