View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Flying at the speed of Mock 1. 
Veteran General Manager

Post Flying at the speed of Mock 1.
Free Agents: I am only guessing the Lions free agents plus 1 other that I think will happen.

QB Marc Bulger Signs with the Cardinals
LB David Harris Signs with the Lions
CB Johnathan Joseph Signs with the Lions
WR Steve Breaston Signs with the Lions
WR Plaxico Burress signs a 1 year vet minimum contract with the Lions to try to get his career back on track.

Trades:

Eagles trade QB Kevin Kolb to The 49ers for pick # 45 and pick # 76.
Minnesota gets into the bidding and drives the price up.

Round 1:

1. Carolina - Blaine Gabbert, QB-Missouri - The NFL is a QB driven league.
The Panthers don't have a viable starter. So, they draft 1.

2. Denver - Nick Fairley, DT-Auburn

3. Buffalo - Da’Quan Bowers, DE-Clemson

4. Cincinnati - A.J. Green, WR-Georgia

5. Arizona - Robert Quinn, DE-North Carolina

6. Cleveland - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB-Missouri

7. San Francisco - Patrick Peterson, CB-LSU

8. Tennessee - Ryan Mallett, QB-Arkansas

9. Dallas - Marcel Dareus, DT/DE-Alabama

10. Washington - Cam Newton, QB-Auburn

11. Houston - Akeem Ayers, OLB-UCLA

12. Minnesota - Corey Liuget, DT-Illinois - I have to explain this one.
Pat Williams Retired. BIG HOLE TO FILL.

13. Detroit - Prince Amukamara, CB-Nebraska - Lions considered trading up to get Prince.
But, they sat tight and got their man.

14. St. Louis - Julio Jones, WR-Alabama

15. Miami - Mark Ingram, RB-Alabama

16. Jacksonville - Jake Locker, QB-Washington

17. New England - from Oakland - Von Miller, OLB-Texas A&M

18. San Diego - Jonathan Baldwin, WR-Pittsburgh

19. New York Giants - Nate Solder, OT-Colorado

20. Tampa Bay - Cameron Jordan, DE-California

21. Kansas City - Rodney Hudson, C/OG-Florida State

22. Indianapolis - Anthony Castonzo, OT-Boston College

23. Philadelphia - Brandon Harris, CB-Miami (FL)

24. New Orleans - Adrian Clayborn, DE-Iowa

25. Seattle - Curtis Brown, CB-Texas

26. New England - Ryan Williams, RB-Virginia Tech

27. Atlanta - Allen Bailey, DE-Miami (FL)

28. Baltimore - Mike Pouncey, C-Florida

29. Chicago - Tyron Smith, OT-USC

30. New York Jets - Cameron Heyward, DE-Ohio State

31. Pittsburgh - Gabe Carimi, OT-Wisconsin

32. Green Bay - Jimmy Smith, CB-Colorado

Round 2:

33. New England - from Carolina - J.J. Watt, DE-Wisconsin

34. Buffalo - Derek Sherrod, OT-Mississippi State

35. Cincinnati - Rahim Moore, S-UCLA

36. Denver - Kyle Rudolph, TE-Notre Dame

37. Cleveland - Torrey Smith, WR-Maryland

38. Arizona - Stefan Wisniewski, C-Penn State

39. Tennessee - DeMarcus Love, OT-Arkansas

40. Dallas - Brandon Burton, CB-Utah

41. Washington - Stephen Paea, DT-Oregon State

42. Houston - DeAndre McDaniel, S-Clemson

43. Minnesota - Christian Ballard, DE-Iowa

44. Detroit - Bruce Carter, OLB-North Carolina

45. Philadelphia - from San Francisco - Michael Leshoure, RB-Illinois

46. Denver - from Miami - Ras-I Dowling, CB-Virginia

47. St. Louis - Ryan Kerrigan, DE-Purdue

48. Oakland - Benjamin Ijalana, OG-Villanova

49. Jacksonville - Leonard Hankerson, WR-Miami (FL)

50. San Diego - Shane Vereen, RB-California

51. Tampa Bay - DeMarco Murray, RB-Oklahoma

52. New York Giants - Martez Wilson, ILB-Illinois

53. Indianapolis - Drake Nevis, DT-LSU

54. Philadelphia - Mark Herzlich, OLB-Boston College

55. Kansas City - Justin Houston, OLB-Georgia

56. New Orleans - Mason Foster, OLB-Washington

57. Seattle - Sam Acho, DE-Texas

58. New England - Marcus Cannon, OT/OG-TCU

59. Atlanta - D.J. Williams, TE/FB-Arkansas

60. Baltimore - Jeremy Beal, OLB-Oklahoma

61. Chicago - Marvin Austin, DT-North Carolina

62. San Diego - from New York Jets - Shereece Wright, CB-USC

63. Pittsburgh - Jurrell Casey, DT-USC

64. Green Bay - Orlando Franklin, OT-Miami (FL)

Round 3:

65. Carolina -Randall Cobb, WR-Kentucky

66. Cincinnati - Christian Ponder, QB-Florida State

67. Denver - Greg Jones, ILB-Michigan State

68. Buffalo - Pat Devlin, QB-Delaware

69. Arizona - Niles Paul, WR-Nebraska

70. Cleveland - Quinton Carter, S-Oklahoma

71. Dallas - Stephen Schilling, OG-Michigan

72. New Orleans - from Washington - Muhammad Wilkerson, DT-Temple

73. Houston - Ricky Stanzi, QB-Iowa

74. New England - from Minnesota - Lance Kendricks, TE-Wisconsin

75. Detroit - Dontay Moch, OLB - Nevada

January 21st, 2011, 3:54 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Flying at the speed of Mock 1.
Id love for that to happen. Do you think we can actually sign all those guys?

As far as Plaxico goes, a lot of people would probably say they want nothing to do with him. But me, Id sign him to a 1-year "trial" in a heartbeat.

I think your mock is pretty good. But I just cant convince myself that Prince will slide to us. I cant really see Ayers going that high either. BUT, ive been wrong before. I hope to God Prince falls.

And if he does fall, I just know its our luck someone will trade up and really screw us over.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 21st, 2011, 4:18 pm
QB Coach

I think Harris hits the market with the Jets having several players to re-sign and I hope we make a run at him. I'd love to have him here. Breaston is a possibility too, but with just signing Burleson last season I dunno if we make a splash into the upper tier of WR talent in free agency. Joseph is going to re-sign with Cincy or get slapped with the franchise tag (if their is one). I think Plax signs with the Ravens or Bengals.

As far as the draft, it would be awesome if Prince fell that far I just don't see it. I know they took a corner first last year but Houston's secondary was awful this season so they may go to that well again. If Rogers leaves the Skins they need a corner. Dallas always needs help in the secondary.

I see Bruce Carter going later due to injury, possibly into the later third round.

I'm starting to come around on the idea of us trading down into the 20's and taking either Brandon Harris or Jimmy Smith and getting an extra third round pick. Then we can focus on LB in the second and oline/safety in the third.

January 21st, 2011, 7:24 pm
RIP Killer

Even if Jonathan Joseph, David Harris and Steve Breaston all make it to FA, there's no way the Lions are able to land all of them. They'd be LUCKY to get one. As mentioned before, I don't think Joseph gets out of Cinci, and Harris will get re-signed by the Jets. The Jets have already said that retaining him is a major priority for them. Breaston? I don't think he'll stay in Arizona, but will likely be wanting to move closer to his home in Pennsylvania. I could see the Jets or NE making a run for him. I don't see him coming to Detroit, because Breaston will want to be the #2 receiver, I think, rather than a #3.

January 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
NFL Team Captain

Could happen, but unfortunately it is highly doubtful.

Here is what I would like to see happen at least through the 2nd round:

Re-sign Houston, Sign Nmandi from the Raiders.

Draft Von Miller (OLB) in rd1 and Bruce Carter (OLB) in rd 2.

BPA the rest of the way.

Now that is how you pipe dream!!! :mrgreen:

January 23rd, 2011, 12:03 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

A little more realistic but we'd still be starting 2 rookies at LB. I would hope they bring in a starter at LB in FA.

January 23rd, 2011, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

Here's maybe a little more down to Earth look at what could happen:

Lions Free Agent losses and cuts:
QB Drew Stanton
RB Kevin Smith
DE Turk McBride
DT Andre Fluellen
LB Julian Peterson (released)
S C.C. Brown
CB Brandon McDonald
LB Jordan Dizon (released)
WR Bryant Johnson (released)
WR Derrick Williams (released)

Lions Free Agent signings:
LB Ben Leber
CB William Gay
DE Mark Anderson
RB Mewelde Moore
CB Chris Houston (re-sign)
DE Cliff Avril (re-sign)
OT Corey Hilliard (re-sign)
LB Landon Johnson (re-sign)

Free Agency:
The Lions will push to re-sign two important parts of the defensive improvement of 2010, and that would be Cliff Avril and Chris Houston. I think Avril would like to stay in Detroit, but is going to command some pretty good coin to do so. I think the Lions will find a way to pay him. Chris Houston seems more likely to bolt in free agency, but I think Mayhew and Schwartz can convince him that he's an integral part of the teams future, and that future looks to be on the brink of success. Unless another team is willing to break the bank to sign Houston as a number one corner, I think he ends up taking an offer from the Lions. Another player the team will have to consider re-signing is Jerome Felton. While he isn't a prototypical full back, Felton is a jack-of-all-trades style FB that I think can do well if the Lions find a way to use him more effectively. Felton has said he wants to see the ball more, and I hope the Lions strongly consider that idea, since Schwartz has said he wants to be a successful running team. I think Kevin Smith is done in Detroit. His injuries do this team no good, and they must move on without him. I'd like to see the Lions re-sign Corey Hilliard and Landon Johnson, both set to be free agents and ideal players for backup and spot starting duty.
There are a number of free agents from other teams I'd like to see the Lions pursue, but I think the players I have listed as being signed are realistic expectations. Ben Leber is a very good strong linebacker, who gets overshadowed in Minnesota by Chad Greenway and E.J. Henderson. The Vikings are going to have to sign Chad to a new agreement, and I think they allow Leber to move on. He'll have a solid shot at a starting strong side spot, with only Bobby Carpenter as a legitimate contender for that spot. It should be an interesting camp battle between those two. I believe the the Steelers will be signing Ike Taylor to a new contract, and that could leave William Gay as odd-man out in their free agency plans. Gay is a pretty good corner, not outstanding and certainly not a number one corner, but he would certainly be a welcome addition and would push for a starting job. Mark Anderson will want out of Houston, as he is a 43 DE and will be looking to return to a team running that scheme. He would be a decent situational player for the Lions, and could replace Turk McBride on the roster, if Turk leaves. Lastly, Mewelde Moore would be an excellent replacement for Kevin Smith, if Moore decides his time in Pittsburgh is over. Moore is a good third down back, and hasn't been abused over the years in either Minnesota or Pittsburgh. I'd like to see the Lions make a run at a couple inside offensive linemen, but I don't know if they'll land any of starting caliber.

DRAFT:
1 - CB Brandon Harris
Some may think 13th overall is too high, but he's not that far removed from Peterson or Amukamara in his abilities. If those two guys go top ten, as expected, I think Harris is an OK choice here. Akeem Ayers and Von Miller are projected as more 34 OLBs than 43 OLBs, and I don't think taking a square peg to put into a round hole in the first round is a smart move.

2 - LB Mason Foster
I like Quan Sturdivant, but if the Lions are able to get Leber prior to the draft, they need to look at the weakside spot. Foster has the skills and speed to play weakside more so than Sturdivant, as well as play inside in a pinch.

3 - S Deunta Williams
His injury may scare some teams off, but this kid has the size to be a SS and the speed/range to be a free safety. I think he could fall and be available to the Lions here, and he'd be competing with Amari Spievey in camp for a starting job.

4 - WR Cecil Shorts
Shorts is from Mount Union, a small school, but was impressive at the Shrine Game practices prior to getting injured. Chances are that he will re-establish his rising stock at the Combines. He has good size, good speed and good hands. All that's needed is for him to work on route running and crisper breaks in his routes. He'd be an improvement over Stone Hands Bryant Johnson.

5 - OC Brandon Fusco
Another small school (Slippery Rock) prospect that could emerge as an NFL quality talent during the Combines (if he's invited, I think he is). It's reported from a number of scouts that he plays with good technique, and should greatly improve with NFL level coaching.

6 - NO PICK
It's been reported that the conditional pick we gave to Atlanta for Chris Houston is now a sixth rounder due to his playing time, or whatever conditions were met. They will get the pick we received from Philadelphia as part of a 2009 draft day deal. Our original sixth rounder goes to Seattle for DE Lawrence Jackson.

7 - LB Mike Mohamed
This pick will be late in the round, as this is the pick we got from the Jets for Kevin O'Connell. Our original 7th rounder goes to the 49ers as part of the Shaun Hill trade.
At this point, you just basically pick names out of a hat. There's no telling who might be available. Mohamed isn't a big name linebacker, despite playing at USC, but seemed to have made a small impression at Shrine Game practices. Could be a solid backup on the inside.

January 24th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:

QB Drew Stanton
RB Kevin Smith
DE Turk McBride
DT Andre Fluellen
S C.C. Brown
CB Brandon McDonald

LB Ben Leber
CB William Gay
DE Mark Anderson
RB Mewelde Moore
DE Cliff Avril (re-sign)

Free Agency:
The Lions will push to re-sign two important parts of the defensive improvement of 2010, and that would be Cliff Avril and Chris Houston. I think Avril would like to stay in Detroit, but is going to command some pretty good coin to do so. I think the Lions will find a way to pay him. Chris Houston seems more likely to bolt in free agency, but I think Mayhew and Schwartz can convince him that he's an integral part of the teams future, and that future looks to be on the brink of success. Unless another team is willing to break the bank to sign Houston as a number one corner, I think he ends up taking an offer from the Lions. Another player the team will have to consider re-signing is Jerome Felton. While he isn't a prototypical full back, Felton is a jack-of-all-trades style FB that I think can do well if the Lions find a way to use him more effectively. Felton has said he wants to see the ball more, and I hope the Lions strongly consider that idea, since Schwartz has said he wants to be a successful running team. I think Kevin Smith is done in Detroit. His injuries do this team no good, and they must move on without him. I'd like to see the Lions re-sign Corey Hilliard and Landon Johnson, both set to be free agents and ideal players for backup and spot starting duty.
There are a number of free agents from other teams I'd like to see the Lions pursue, but I think the players I have listed as being signed are realistic expectations. Ben Leber is a very good strong linebacker, who gets overshadowed in Minnesota by Chad Greenway and E.J. Henderson. The Vikings are going to have to sign Chad to a new agreement, and I think they allow Leber to move on. He'll have a solid shot at a starting strong side spot, with only Bobby Carpenter as a legitimate contender for that spot. It should be an interesting camp battle between those two. I believe the the Steelers will be signing Ike Taylor to a new contract, and that could leave William Gay as odd-man out in their free agency plans. Gay is a pretty good corner, not outstanding and certainly not a number one corner, but he would certainly be a welcome addition and would push for a starting job. Mark Anderson will want out of Houston, as he is a 43 DE and will be looking to return to a team running that scheme. He would be a decent situational player for the Lions, and could replace Turk McBride on the roster, if Turk leaves. Lastly, Mewelde Moore would be an excellent replacement for Kevin Smith, if Moore decides his time in Pittsburgh is over. Moore is a good third down back, and hasn't been abused over the years in either Minnesota or Pittsburgh. I'd like to see the Lions make a run at a couple inside offensive linemen, but I don't know if they'll land any of starting caliber.

DRAFT:
1 - CB Brandon Harris
Some may think 13th overall is too high, but he's not that far removed from Peterson or Amukamara in his abilities. If those two guys go top ten, as expected, I think Harris is an OK choice here. Akeem Ayers and Von Miller are projected as more 34 OLBs than 43 OLBs, and I don't think taking a square peg to put into a round hole in the first round is a smart move.

2 - LB Mason Foster
I like Quan Sturdivant, but if the Lions are able to get Leber prior to the draft, they need to look at the weakside spot. Foster has the skills and speed to play weakside more so than Sturdivant, as well as play inside in a pinch.

3 - S Deunta Williams
His injury may scare some teams off, but this kid has the size to be a SS and the speed/range to be a free safety. I think he could fall and be available to the Lions here, and he'd be competing with Amari Spievey in camp for a starting job.

4 - WR Cecil Shorts
Shorts is from Mount Union, a small school, but was impressive at the Shrine Game practices prior to getting injured. Chances are that he will re-establish his rising stock at the Combines. He has good size, good speed and good hands. All that's needed is for him to work on route running and crisper breaks in his routes. He'd be an improvement over Stone Hands Bryant Johnson.

5 - OC Brandon Fusco
Another small school (Slippery Rock) prospect that could emerge as an NFL quality talent during the Combines (if he's invited, I think he is). It's reported from a number of scouts that he plays with good technique, and should greatly improve with NFL level coaching.

6 - NO PICK
It's been reported that the conditional pick we gave to Atlanta for Chris Houston is now a sixth rounder due to his playing time, or whatever conditions were met. They will get the pick we received from Philadelphia as part of a 2009 draft day deal. Our original sixth rounder goes to Seattle for DE Lawrence Jackson.

7 - LB Mike Mohamed
This pick will be late in the round, as this is the pick we got from the Jets for Kevin O'Connell. Our original 7th rounder goes to the 49ers as part of the Shaun Hill trade.
At this point, you just basically pick names out of a hat. There's no telling who might be available. Mohamed isn't a big name linebacker, despite playing at USC, but seemed to have made a small impression at Shrine Game practices. Could be a solid backup on the inside.

I would be livid if the Lions picked Foster if Hilzrich (sp), Jones, or Carter were still on the board. I wouldn't mind Harris, but after doing some research I am beginning to think he is a reach at #13. I believe that spot will be a DE. I don't think Williams will be there in the 3rd, but he would be a good pick. Love the Shorts pick. Don't care about anything after that, give me Haynesworth for our 5th and 7th.

Your FA moves have me scratching my head. We don't need Gay, we need a #1 and he isn't that. He would be good depth, but we have good depth at CB. Leber is IMO no more than an average player and tier 3 lb talent in FA. Again, he would be good depth but we have good depth in that position. Moore at 5"11" 209 and will be 29 this upcoming season. He is no more than a #3 and would rot behind MoMo and Best.... we need a bruiser at RB and there are a few available. I know you have us losing McBride, but I would prefer us to give Young the 3rd DE spot and see what he's got with a very limited role. Also, I would like to see the interior OL addressed with something other than a 5th round pick.

All in all, your draft is okay but I am not satisfied with your FA. We need starters in the back 7, not depth. Houston, Smith, Berry and Williams are capable. Smith may very well be the best nickel in the league. Berry had promise before he got hurt and I believe the Lions want to see what he can do (didn't they put him on IR?). At LB we have Palmer, Carpenter, and Johnson as capable backups. We just need 2 starting OLB's. Leber would start, but is not starting quality IMO. He flourished in Minnesota because he played with the likes of Henderson, Greenway, Williams x2, Allen and Edwards. He is by far the weak link in that front 7.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

January 25th, 2011, 3:10 am
RIP Killer

Understand that I am not going from a "reach for the stars" point of view. I can sit here and prognosticate all day that the Lions are going to sign the top available FAs at all their positions of need, but is it realistic to believe that will happen? I have taken a more "down to earth" approach, as I said early in my post. These were not moves I WANT the Lions to make, just moves I think are LIKELY and would still improve the makeup and talent on the roster.

I understand that William Gay is not a true shutdown number one corner. I would prefer the Lions were able to sign Asomugha, but I don't believe they will. Still, paired with Chris Houston he would give the Lions at least a starting caliber corner, something Alfonso Smith proved he is not. It would also allow the Lions to bring Brandon Harris along slowly, rather than putting him out there to be victimized. Brandon Harris had one poor half of football in the Hurricane's bowl game, and people are ready to reduce his draft stock, totally ignoring how well he did for the entire season, and even the other half of that ball game. Come draft time, I think he works his way back up into top 15 contention. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

As for Leber and Moore...Leber is better than what people give him credit for, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings do everything they can to re-sign him. He doesn't get a ton of press, but he's better than anyone we have on our roster right now, Levy included. Moore is 29 years old....so what? He hasn't been used a ton, and therefore still has plenty of tread on the tires. He may not be a bruiser, but he can get the tough yards when needed, is a good receiver out of the backfield, and is also a good pass protector. My preference is that the Lions re-sign Felton and use him more as the power back in short yardage situations.

As for the interior line, I would like to see the Lions get Jonathan Goodwin from the Saints. I doubt they'll be able to re-sign him, unless he's determined to stay in NO. He can play either guard or center, and is damn good at either.
However, I don't know that the Lions will go after him with any seriousness. Word has it that Peterman struggled this season because he had a foot injury. The coaches knew it, but made no move to replace him.

As for the other draft choices, I would prefer Mason Foster over Mark Herzlich for two reasons: 1. Herzlich's medical history is difficult to overlook and, 2. Foster is far more athletic and better suited to play WLB in the NFL. Already draft scouts are talking about how good Foster looks at OLB in the practices down in Mobile. One scout said he was far and away the most fluid linebacker on either squad, and was getting praises constantly by the coaches.
On a side note, it was said that Von Miller was looking very good in coverage assignments, playing in the 43 vanilla defense they are running. Because he weighed in at just 237 lbs., some scouts think he will fall off the radar of teams running a 34 defense. In my latest mock, I have him going to Houston at number 11. If he's available, I would like to see the Lions take him over Brandon Harris, with the Lions taking Davon House in round two.

January 25th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is a fan of Foster but I actually think he might end up being a SLB or even MLB. Most people watched the Huskies the past couple seasons to see Locker but Foster was the guy that always drew my attention. In the end he's such a good LB he can succeed at any LB position he's asked to play.

As far Herzlich goes I wouldn't sell him short because he battled cancer. Yes he has a rod inside his leg but if anything it has probably strengthed it. A chance of his cancer coming back is only like 3% and that decreases with every year that passes. As the season progressed you could see him getting his strength and quickness back after missing last season. I like Herzlich because he plays with passion, instinct, and an attitude.

I'd love for the Lions to maneuver to get an extra 2nd rounder and draft both Foster and Herzlich. I know the Lions like Levy at MLB because his ability to call the plays but he can do that at WLB, Brooks spent his career with the Bucs at WLB calling the plays. With Levy at WLB the Lions could work both Foster and Herzlich at MLB (both have experience there) and then put the other one at SLB to compete with Carpenter.

January 26th, 2011, 8:00 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:

QB Drew Stanton
RB Kevin Smith
DE Turk McBride
DT Andre Fluellen
S C.C. Brown
CB Brandon McDonald

LB Ben Leber
CB William Gay
DE Mark Anderson
RB Mewelde Moore
DE Cliff Avril (re-sign)

Free Agency:

DRAFT:
1 - CB Brandon Harris

2 - LB Mason Foster

3 - S Deunta Williams

4 - WR Cecil Shorts

5 - OC Brandon Fusco

6 - NO PICK

7 - LB Mike Mohamed

DRAFT:
1 - If they can't trade back, then I really like Miller, think he can play in either system and be successful. If he's not there then BPA regardless of position.

2 - I've seen Foster play in a couple of games last season, and although he was around the ball a lot, overall was unimpressed. Think Sturdivant would be a better pick. If they get Miller in the 1st, hope they will be looking at corners (Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams) noticed you mentioned Davon House, have read some great reviews on him. Would be OK with any O-linemen, which has been ignored for far too long.

3 - I like the idea of Deunta Williams, but think he will fall farther than here. Actually, was hoping that Bruce Carter could fall this far, I'd be willing to gamble a 3rd. If he's gone, guard, safety or 3rd receiver. Tyler Sash,SS-Iowa or Titus Young,WR-Boise are a couple that I like.

4 - This is where I would think about Deunta Williams if they haven't addressed safety. Others I like here, Moffit or Will Rackley-guards, Rashad Carmichael-CB.

5, 6, 7. - BPA's - Have to see who slips through the cracks.

I won't speculate on what happens in or to our FA's. Would like to have Houston back. Don't feel that any of our FA's our irreplaceable.

January 26th, 2011, 10:09 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Understand that I am not going from a "reach for the stars" point of view. I can sit here and prognosticate all day that the Lions are going to sign the top available FAs at all their positions of need, but is it realistic to believe that will happen? I have taken a more "down to earth" approach, as I said early in my post. These were not moves I WANT the Lions to make, just moves I think are LIKELY and would still improve the makeup and talent on the roster.

I understand that William Gay is not a true shutdown number one corner. I would prefer the Lions were able to sign Asomugha, but I don't believe they will. Still, paired with Chris Houston he would give the Lions at least a starting caliber corner, something Alfonso Smith proved he is not. It would also allow the Lions to bring Brandon Harris along slowly, rather than putting him out there to be victimized. Brandon Harris had one poor half of football in the Hurricane's bowl game, and people are ready to reduce his draft stock, totally ignoring how well he did for the entire season, and even the other half of that ball game. Come draft time, I think he works his way back up into top 15 contention. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

As for Leber and Moore...Leber is better than what people give him credit for, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings do everything they can to re-sign him. He doesn't get a ton of press, but he's better than anyone we have on our roster right now, Levy included. Moore is 29 years old....so what? He hasn't been used a ton, and therefore still has plenty of tread on the tires. He may not be a bruiser, but he can get the tough yards when needed, is a good receiver out of the backfield, and is also a good pass protector. My preference is that the Lions re-sign Felton and use him more as the power back in short yardage situations.

As for the interior line, I would like to see the Lions get Jonathan Goodwin from the Saints. I doubt they'll be able to re-sign him, unless he's determined to stay in NO. He can play either guard or center, and is damn good at either.
However, I don't know that the Lions will go after him with any seriousness. Word has it that Peterman struggled this season because he had a foot injury. The coaches knew it, but made no move to replace him.

As for the other draft choices, I would prefer Mason Foster over Mark Herzlich for two reasons: 1. Herzlich's medical history is difficult to overlook and, 2. Foster is far more athletic and better suited to play WLB in the NFL. Already draft scouts are talking about how good Foster looks at OLB in the practices down in Mobile. One scout said he was far and away the most fluid linebacker on either squad, and was getting praises constantly by the coaches.
On a side note, it was said that Von Miller was looking very good in coverage assignments, playing in the 43 vanilla defense they are running. Because he weighed in at just 237 lbs., some scouts think he will fall off the radar of teams running a 34 defense. In my latest mock, I have him going to Houston at number 11. If he's available, I would like to see the Lions take him over Brandon Harris, with the Lions taking Davon House in round two.

Since Miller weighed in a 237, and considering Houston will now be running a 3-4, Im guessing Miller might not go to Houston now.

Id be all for Von Miller if he can cover, which apparently hes looking good in coverage. Because thats one thing that really pisses me off is a linebacker that consistently blows coverage.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 26th, 2011, 11:30 am
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:

I appreciate your modest attempt to not bring all the big names in, I just believe it was a little too modest. Look at what the Lions did last year- and this year they look much more attractive. We will probably make 1 or 2 good to great splashes in FA and all those moves I see are tier 3 FA's.

Also, with the amount of CB's and LB's hitting FA, the Lions will realistically be able to do much better. If the class was weak I would understand those selections. I think Johnathan Joseph and Stephen Tulloch is far more likely than Gay and Leber, and both are tier 2 FA's.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

January 26th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

liontrax wrote:

DRAFT:
1 - If they can't trade back, then I really like Miller, think he can play in either system and be successful. If he's not there then BPA regardless of position.

2 - I've seen Foster play in a couple of games last season, and although he was around the ball a lot, overall was unimpressed. Think Sturdivant would be a better pick. If they get Miller in the 1st, hope they will be looking at corners (Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams) noticed you mentioned Davon House, have read some great reviews on him. Would be OK with any O-linemen, which has been ignored for far too long.

3 - I like the idea of Deunta Williams, but think he will fall farther than here. Actually, was hoping that Bruce Carter could fall this far, I'd be willing to gamble a 3rd. If he's gone, guard, safety or 3rd receiver. Tyler Sash,SS-Iowa or Titus Young,WR-Boise are a couple that I like.

4 - This is where I would think about Deunta Williams if they haven't addressed safety. Others I like here, Moffit or Will Rackley-guards, Rashad Carmichael-CB.

5, 6, 7. - BPA's - Have to see who slips through the cracks.

I won't speculate on what happens in or to our FA's. Would like to have Houston back. Don't feel that any of our FA's our irreplaceable.

The talk now, after folks have seen him at the Senior Bowl is that Miller will be long gone by #13; we might have to trade UP to get him!

January 27th, 2011, 9:46 pm
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
The talk now, after folks have seen him at the Senior Bowl is that Miller will be long gone by #13; we might have to trade UP to get him!

But by whom. With his low weight he's kind of been taken off the radar of some teams running a 34. While it's been said he's looked good in coverage and getting to the ball, I've also heard he's struggled to shed blocks, which he'd have to do more of as a 34 OLB. I don't know about you, but I'd rather face a TE trying to block me than a OT most days of the week.

I do agree that his draft stock has risen, but many of the teams picking ahead of us have greater needs than OLB, either in a 34 or 43.

1. Carolina - will take a DL unless a QB pops out at them during the Combines
2. Denver - No need for a rush OLB-either a DL or CB
3. Buffalo - likely to go with a DL or QB
4. Cincy - have spent high picks on LBs, and will likely go CB or WR
5. Arizona - could be in the market, but need a QB desperately.
6. Cleveland - might be interested since they are probably going to switch to a 43 under Jauron
7. SF - QB, CB, possible to go with Miller as replacement for Lawson or Haraylson
8. Tennessee - Likely to be a QB, but could go DL or CB if one falls
9. Dallas - no need for rush OLB
10. Houston - where I thought he may go, until his measured weight.
11. Washington - No need
12. Minnesota - could consider Miller, but need a QB, DT, DE....many other more critical needs.

I'm not saying he'll definitely be there, but with 7 of the 12 teams ahead running a 34, plus most of them in need of QB help, I don't know he won't be there. Of course, this is all related to no picks being traded, which is not realistic. However, if there is no CBA in place, I think high level trades will be reduced since no players can be involved.

Just a guess. Besides, if the Lions miss out on Miller in round one, I am beginning to like the idea of them taking Mason Foster in round two. I've heard nothing but positives about him from the Senior Bowl, regardless of who is doing the reporting. Sounds to me like he would be a good player at WLB.

January 27th, 2011, 10:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next