View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Julio Jones 
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: Julio Jones
Ok what receiver in the mid to late rounds has even half the tools/potential Julio Jones has. There are none. However linebackers that produce are often found in the later rounds.

February 1st, 2011, 10:39 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

WR is a need but it isn't the most pressing need by a long shot. I think most of us would agree on that. Having a stud #2 is a real luxury, although some teams have been successful having a pair of 1st/2nd round WRs on the field at the same time.

With that said, what the Lions really need is a true slot WR. Yes, Burleson CAN play slot but he is perfectly capable as a #2. He's been a #2 most of his career and has been relatively productive in that role. He's not among the "top" #2s in the league but he can do everything a #2 needs to do. So why spend a high draft pick on a #2 when you have a decent #2 on the roster already? Slot guys can be found much more easily, and that is the wrinkle that the offense is missing right now.

A short WR (under 6') without long speed won't go in round 1, but that guy could be a great fit in this offense. Someone with quick feet, good hands, and great intelligence. Wes Welker and Lance Moore were both undrafted, both are 5'9", and either would be a great fit in the Lions' offense.

So on one hand, yes, Burleson could move to slot and a big rookie like Jones could play opposite Calvin. It wouldn't be an inconceivable strategy. But if you can find a legit slot WR through free agency or the later rounds, then leave Burleson #2 and the offense will still be noticeably more dynamic because of what the slot guy can do. And then they can use the high draft pick on a position of greater need.

February 2nd, 2011, 1:10 am
Stadium Announcer

The lions philosophy is to draft talent not need. Maybe 2 years from now Calvin is gone and Julio Jones is a pro bowl wr but we passed him up because at the time we weren't happy with our linebacker situation. And now we are stuck with an average talent instead of a star. I agree with you that we are not one or two pieces away from the super bowl and that is the reason I think we need to take the top player regardless of position.

February 2nd, 2011, 1:41 am
Player of the Year - Defense

We aren't losing games because of our offense. If the close games we lost actually pointed to one thing, it was lack of a true short distance back, not a #2 or #3 receiver. We've lost the majority of our games due to a poor and inadequate back 7. Our secondary didn't perform half bad at times, but nowhere close to consistent.

For a decade, we drafted need over talent and that put us in the position we were just 3 seasons ago. Talent over need makes the team better, and if they take a receiver in the first over a Von Miller or Brandon Harris, then we're going to be under .500 for another decade. According to your thinking, Stafford's only got 4 more years on his contract so we have to take Cam Newton because he might just be a pro-bowler and Stafford could be gone. Calvin WILL leave if we continue to put a bad product on the field. The BPA with common sense approach points to defensive back 7 all the way, possibly a DE if they feel Avril needs someone to push him and someone that could replace KVB down the road, or they don't feel Avril is worth what he's demanding. No where in any form of common sense does taking a reciever in the first round make sense.

You work your roster based on what you have now, not what you might or might not have in 2 seasons. CJ will decide to stay or not depending on how we do the next 2 seasons. Looking for his replacement now would make me seriously lose faith in the front office, and I guarantee I wouldn't be the only one.

February 2nd, 2011, 2:03 am
Mr. Irrelevant

I don't think you have to worry about the Lions taking Jones over Von Miller. I don't believe anyone was suggesting that they should. If they took a lower rated LB or CB (Ayers or Harris) to satisfy the need I would be perplexed, because that goes against the BPA philosophy. I highly doubt they would take Jones if there are others rated equally as high on their board that play a different position.

February 2nd, 2011, 9:00 am
Team MVP

ZAndrew81, havent you learned what taking a WR in the first DOESNT do for you team? Like mentioned before, our offense isnt the problem.

If you ask me, I think getting a starting linebacker would help this team much more than adding a wideout.

And like Mwill2 said, if we need ANY wide receiver, its a slot receiver. That can had later in the draft.

If we are gonna draft on talent, not need, I would rather take Mark Ingram. One, I think he is more talented, and two, it would improve our running game. Yes, our RUNNING GAME. Something that actually needs to be improved, not our passing game.

Would it be nice to have Julio Jones? Of course. But where the current state of the Lions is right now, id say it would almost be a waste of a pick if you ask me.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 2nd, 2011, 11:43 am
RIP Killer

I'd take Ingram over Jones...

February 2nd, 2011, 1:02 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

steensn wrote:
I'd take Ingram over Jones...

Have to agree. Bolstering the O-backfield would make more sense. Jones is a fine talent, but excels at the run after the catch on short to medium routes. We already have Burleson, who in my opinion is best suited for the slot. We need a 3rd rec. who can stretch the field, can be a threat for the long ball.
Actually I would be surprised if the Lions were to take either of those guys. Think they would look at DE or Tackle first, providing that a trade back doesn't happen.

February 2nd, 2011, 2:12 pm
Position Coach

njroar wrote:
We aren't losing games because of our offense. If the close games we lost actually pointed to one thing, it was lack of a true short distance back, not a #2 or #3 receiver. We've lost the majority of our games due to a poor and inadequate back 7. Our secondary didn't perform half bad at times, but nowhere close to consistent.

I think the lack of a run game lost us aa few games. Not much clock control to keep the defense off the field. We won when we ran the ball well

February 2nd, 2011, 3:38 pm
Stadium Announcer

I wasn't suggesting takin Jones over miller. I think he is way more talented than ayers or Brandon Harris. If somehow v miller or p Amukamara fall into our laps at 13 they have to be the pick. An elite talent at a position of need is a no brainer. I don't think Harris or ayers is an elite talent. I don't know if I'm sold on Ingram however I think it is the same argument as JJ. Rb is not a strong need. We took Best last year and Smith and Morris are capable backups. Running back is also not one of the most important positions in the game. Look at the top running backs in the NFL and look how there teams fared. AP 6-10 CJ 6-10 Foster 6-10 Jackson 7-8 Gore 5-11. And when was the last time a team won the super bowl with a top back. That being said if the coaches believe Ingram is an elite talent and there are no elite lbs dbs o-line then I have no problem taking him or a guy like jones.

February 2nd, 2011, 3:41 pm
Team MVP

ZAndrews81 wrote:
I wasn't suggesting takin Jones over miller. I think he is way more talented than ayers or Brandon Harris. If somehow v miller or p Amukamara fall into our laps at 13 they have to be the pick. An elite talent at a position of need is a no brainer. I don't think Harris or ayers is an elite talent. I don't know if I'm sold on Ingram however I think it is the same argument as JJ. Rb is not a strong need. We took Best last year and Smith and Morris are capable backups. Running back is also not one of the most important positions in the game. Look at the top running backs in the NFL and look how there teams fared. AP 6-10 CJ 6-10 Foster 6-10 Jackson 7-8 Gore 5-11. And when was the last time a team won the super bowl with a top back. That being said if the coaches believe Ingram is an elite talent and there are no elite lbs dbs o-line then I have no problem taking him or a guy like jones.

Im not "suggesting" taking Ingram, but if I had a choice between the 2, it would definetely be Ingram. You say Smith and Morris are capable backups. Smith cant stay on the field due to injury. And when he is on the field he isnt THAT great anyway. And if the reports are right about him telling Miami "come get me", why would you want a guy like that on your team anyway?

As far as Maurice Morris goes, ya hes a decent backup (at best), but the guy is 31. You think hes gonna be around forever?

Now, our passing offense was 12th in the league. That aint too bad. Our only "need" is a slot receiver, not an upgrade at the #2 spot. Like some have mentioned, a guy like Lance Moore can be had in FA. That would make our receiving core closer to "top notch".

We were 23rd in the league in rushing. Just those 2 stats should end the debate. But to continue, Ingram is instantly better than Morris or Smith. Now, we have TWO starting caliber running backs. We can pretty much say that running backs is a position of strength now.

Like KillWill25 has said, a lack of a running game is what cost us some games. Definetely not a lack of a passing game.

Like i said, im not SUGGESTING we take Ingram. I hope we can get a quality LB or CB at 13. Heck, i wouldnt argue against trading up to get one. And id absolutely love to trade down, who wouldnt.

But if Jones and Ingram are sitting there and those two are graded equally, and theyre gonna go BPS, then that is the reason i wouldnt hesitate to take Ingram.

Just my opinion.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 2nd, 2011, 11:28 pm
Stadium Announcer

I think you are misunderstanding me. I would be happy with the Ingram pick or the Julio Jones pick. I like Jones better but I just don't want us reaching for a guy at a position of need when you have elite talents elsewhere. I would love if we traded up our 1st n 3rd and could secure Amukamara. I think he is a special player. And a 3rd rounder is a small price to pay. We could even trade back in the second to pick up a third round choice. If we took Julio Burleson could play the slot. If we take Ingram we would have a solid one two punch. I just don't Like to see people say it has to be a linebacker or a corner. I used to be one of the people who said oh we need to select this position or that position. In 09 before the draft I wanted Stafford Oher Laurinitus as picks 1-20-33. When we picked up Pettigrew and delmas over the players I mentioned I was disappointed. I felt that we needed a lt and mlb. However our front office deemed those players more talented and I feel great about those decisions now. I would love if we went all defense and o line but only if it's bpa. I don't want a second tier lb/cb(ayers/Harris) over a top tier wr/rb/de(jones/Ingram/Kerrigan). The only negative thing I think about Ingram is that I'm not sold he is the top rb in the class. I think I like LeShoure from Illinois better but it's the same argument. A rb over back seven defense.

February 3rd, 2011, 12:05 am
Position Coach

What about taking a chance on a guy like Willy Parker in FA? He'd be cheap and has something to prove plus he had this whole season off.
@Zandrews81, I'd also prefer Mikel Leshoure over Mark Ingram.

February 3rd, 2011, 2:00 am
NFL Veteran

Killwill25 wrote:
What about taking a chance on a guy like Willy Parker in FA? He'd be cheap and has something to prove plus he had this whole season off.
@Zandrews81, I'd also prefer Mikel Leshoure over Mark Ingram.

Parker over the hill.

Agree on Leshoure.

February 3rd, 2011, 6:32 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The lack of running game has very, very little to do with the backs. We could have Adrian Peterson on this team, and I think we'd be marginally better in the run game....all due to the blocking. Toward the end of the year the running game started to come together. I think the offensive line needs some continuity and I think the game plans need to work more to the teams strengths. Let's face it, early on in the 2010 season, the blocking assignments were getting missed and the play calling was very suspect and poor. Something must have occurred after the Buffalo game, because suddenly Linehan started to call things differently, and it helped. It almost seemed like the blocking assignments were made easier or whatever.

That said, if we were forced to make a choice between Ingram and Jones, I'd take Jones. I just don't think Ingram is going to be an impact NFL back. I would prefer LeShoure over Ingram for our offense, but at 13 that's a reach. Jones, I think, would have a greater impact on our offense. But again, I'd do whatever I could to trade down if all other options were off the board. If no trade down is available, you take the BPA, pure and simple. Between Ingram and Jones, it's Jones to me. However, I can't imagine there won't be any other players that are available that can't be considered at that spot beyond those two.
As for Maurice Morris, his being 31 years old doesn't matter. He hasn't been used a ton in his career, and therefore he's likely to be able to play longer than a bell cow style back. I think he showed just how effective of a player he can be at the end of the season. He's more than just "decent backup" material. Starter? No. But a player I'd consider a quality backup for our offense.

February 3rd, 2011, 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next