View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Offensive Tackles 
Team MVP

Post Offensive Tackles
Just thought id bring this topic up since I've seen several mock drafts having us take an offensive tackle. Now, I understand mock drafts hardly mean anything at this point, and I know that its been stated that the offensive tackle class is weak this year.

I've seen several mock drafts with us taking Nate Solder, OT Colorado. Now, for ordinary people like myself, we're limited to pretty much just YouTube stuff during the offseason. But from what I've seen from many, many plays of him and a little bit during Senior Bowl practices, I just dont understand what these anyalysts see in this guy. I cant count the number of times i've seen Solder get burned off the edge by your average DE.

Maybe its just me, but I dont see anything special about Solder, or any offensive tackle in this class (other than Carimi).

If we're picking below 20 or so, MAYBE i'd understand. But to take him at 13 is just way too high in my opinion.

If offensive tackle was a HUGE need, i can maybe see it. But i just dont think it is. We allowed what, the 6th fewest sacks this year?

I know Backus isnt getting any younger, but taking a tackle that high in this years tackle class seems a bit desperate doesnt it?

Thoughts?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 3rd, 2011, 5:33 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Offensive Tackles
I'm not crazy about any OTs either and don't think the Lions need to reach for one in the first round at all. I still want to see what Fox can do at this point as well. Biggest OL need is RG cause Peterman was a POS last year.

Now if their was a solid value OT there at 13 then I'd be fine with the pick, I just don't see it yet but a lot can still change between now and the draft.

February 3rd, 2011, 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm with you guys. Nobody in this OT class seems really good, and I absolutely don't understand the love for Solder. I saw a couple Colorado games, and he just didn't stand out for me. Everything I've read of him during the Senior Bowl week, from several different sources, was that he wasn't really impressive. Castonzo was the one at the practices that I gathered was the most consistent blocker, while Carimi showed the most athleticism amongst the top tackles.

I read someplace that this past season Stephen Peterman played on a bad ankle for the entire year. He apparently injured it in the first game of the season, and the coaching staff allowed him to play on it since it didn't require surgery. Still, given that he's suffered a couple injuries in the past couple years, a little insurance would be nice. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions nab a guard in round three.

Basically, in the first two rounds we have to get either a LB or a CB with one of those picks. I have serious doubts the CBA will be finalized by the draft, so the Lions can't count on getting quality starters for either of those spots. Trouble is, in round one I can foresee Von Miller already being gone, and I think Akeem Ayers would be a reach. Brandon Harris? Some consider him a reach at 13, and that may be true. I'd prefer him over Ayers at that spot though.

February 3rd, 2011, 8:00 pm
Stadium Announcer

I'm with you guys on this weak ot class. I agree Harris over ayers but at thirteen both are reaches. I think if we can't move up to secure Amukamara, we need to move down or select bpa non qb not that there are any top 15 players that are qbs lol. I'd much rather see us take Ryan Kerrigan than either of the listed players.

February 3rd, 2011, 8:27 pm
Team MVP

B
ZAndrews81 wrote:
I'm with you guys on this weak ot class. I agree Harris over ayers but at thirteen both are reaches. I think if we can't move up to secure Amukamara, we need to move down or select bpa non qb not that there are any top 15 players that are qbs lol. I'd much rather see us take Ryan Kerrigan than either of the listed players.

I'm pretty high on Kerrigan myself. Some believe he is strictly a 3-4 guy, but I feel differently. I watched him several times during the season and came away impressed almost every time. I am actually starting to really like Cameran Jordan, but they're saying the same about him too. Overall, I see two good "football" players.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 3rd, 2011, 8:52 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

The most intriguing tackle prospect, IMO, is Tyron Smith from USC. He played some RT this year, and played well against Cameron Jordan, whose draft stock is soaring. He's only about 290 now, so he's not ready to play yet, but he's very athletic and if he can maintain that athleticism while gaining 15-20 lbs, he could be a very good LT. Problem for the Lions is that they won't be able to get him in the second round (well, maybe) and with the uncertainty over the CBA, they may need to reach more for positional need instead of BPA.

Costanzo and Carimi are the two tackles that I think are the most ready to play in the NFL from the get go.

February 10th, 2011, 10:36 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne, I'm right there with you. I think by draft time Tyron Smith will be the first OT off the board, but not to the Lions.

I have to believe that Smith is likely working out and adding weight so that once the Combines happen he will be more in the 300-310 pound range, which teams will feel much better about. Of all the tackles available, I think he has the most upside and the most athletic talent. He's still raw, but he has the skill to play on the left side in the NFL. If he can show that athletic skill at 300+ pounds, teams will be more apt to take him, and he may go to Dallas with the ninth pick.

February 11th, 2011, 10:50 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

While I think Smith will go higher in April then he's projected to now, I don't think Dallas will be the landing spot. I could be wrong, but Doug Free played pretty well this year and is still young. I think if anything, Dallas would take someone like Carimi and have him play RT. Mark Colombo is garbage and on his way out. They seem to like BIG lineman in Big D. Everything's bigger in Texas? Carimi fits that bill more so than Smith.

February 11th, 2011, 12:02 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
While I think Smith will go higher in April then he's projected to now, I don't think Dallas will be the landing spot. I could be wrong, but Doug Free played pretty well this year and is still young. I think if anything, Dallas would take someone like Carimi and have him play RT. Mark Colombo is garbage and on his way out. They seem to like BIG lineman in Big D. Everything's bigger in Texas? Carimi fits that bill more so than Smith.

I'm not saying that they will take Tyron Smith, but if he works out very well his stock could increase to the point that they'd at least consider it. Doug Free did play well, but Smith is still raw enough that they could take him and start him on the right side, and allow him to develop and eventually slide to the blindside. Free did well, but I think he's better suited to be a right tackle in the long run. If Dallas doesn't take a tackle in round one, they certainly won't have a shot at Carimi or any of the upper tier tackles in round two. Jerry Jones has shown a propensity for reaching when he likes a player. If he gets to liking Tyron Smith, they might pull the trigger on him.....or at least move down a few spots and take him while getting better value.

February 11th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Stadium Announcer

Draft "gurus" all tend to overlook offensive linemen. At least until April when they suddenly are "moving up the boards" yet have done nothing new.

If the Lions don't protect Stafford and he keeps getting injured the future is not so bright.

By the time the draft comes there will be an OT well worth pick 13.

March 1st, 2011, 1:23 am
RIP Killer

CaliforniaCheez wrote:
Draft "gurus" all tend to overlook offensive linemen. At least until April when they suddenly are "moving up the boards" yet have done nothing new.

If the Lions don't protect Stafford and he keeps getting injured the future is not so bright.

By the time the draft comes there will be an OT well worth pick 13.

Quarterbacks get hit, that's a fact. It is just as much the quarterbacks responsibility to protect himself as it is for the offensive line to protect him. The first injury last season was not the fault of Stafford. Backus accepted responsibility for that hit. But the fact is that Backus played pretty well last season, and the offensive line as a whole was better than average in pass protection. Stafford's second injury was 100% his fault. He held onto the ball too long, then when he scrambled and got tackled he turned himself to fall onto that shoulder. HOW IS THAT THE FAULT OF THE OFFENSIVE LINE? I have seen other quarterbacks get hit harder and not suffer an injury. Stafford has to learn to protect himself. Until THAT happens, it won't matter how good our offensive line is, you can't hold off the defense forever. The Lions have more critical needs than at the offensive tackle position, and there are players who will be available at those other spots who will be a better value than ANY offensive tackle in this draft.

Tyron Smith is raw, and has little experience playing the left side.
Nate Solder lacks upper body strength and punch, and is overrated.
Anthony Castonzo is consistent, but not impressive by any stretch.
Gabe Carimi lacks ideal athleticism and quickness of feet.

Smith is the only one who could be worth a top ten pick, in my opinion. That said, if a player at another position falls to the Lions with greater value on their draft board, the Lions better not reach for Smith. They already pulled that reach stunt when they took Gosder Cherilus. How'd that work out?

March 1st, 2011, 10:48 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
Smith is the only one who could be worth a top ten pick, in my opinion. That said, if a player at another position falls to the Lions with greater value on their draft board, the Lions better not reach for Smith.

You're contradicting yourself here. Either he's worth a top ten pick, or he's a reach at thirteen. Can't be both.

I for one am not crazy about taking a RT in hopes of converting him. But then, I have no idea about the process of tackles adapting to the pro game.

March 1st, 2011, 1:09 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Smith is the only one who could be worth a top ten pick, in my opinion. That said, if a player at another position falls to the Lions with greater value on their draft board, the Lions better not reach for Smith.

You're contradicting yourself here. Either he's worth a top ten pick, or he's a reach at thirteen. Can't be both.

I for one am not crazy about taking a RT in hopes of converting him. But then, I have no idea about the process of tackles adapting to the pro game.

Read what I said again. First, I said Smith could be worth a top ten pick, I didn't say he was a top ten lock. There's still some questions to answer and some things to look at in that regard. Secondly, I said that the Lions shouldn't reach for Smith IF there is a player of greater value available to them at their pick. I don't want the Lions to skip over a player at another positiion, because they feel OT is a higher value position. You don't pick positions, you pick players. I have NEVER agreed with the idea of ranking a player higher due to the fact that he plays a premium position. When a team sets up its draft boards, they may grade a player out a little higher based on that particular guy playing at a position of need. But they shouldn't grade the player higher because he plays OT versus CB or LB.

March 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Read what I said again. First, I said Smith could be worth a top ten pick, I didn't say he was a top ten lock. There's still some questions to answer and some things to look at in that regard. Secondly, I said that the Lions shouldn't reach for Smith IF there is a player of greater value available to them at their pick. I don't want the Lions to skip over a player at another positiion, because they feel OT is a higher value position. You don't pick positions, you pick players. I have NEVER agreed with the idea of ranking a player higher due to the fact that he plays a premium position. When a team sets up its draft boards, they may grade a player out a little higher based on that particular guy playing at a position of need. But they shouldn't grade the player higher because he plays OT versus CB or LB.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

March 1st, 2011, 3:41 pm
Veteran General Manager

Wayne Fontes wrote:
The most intriguing tackle prospect, IMO, is Tyron Smith from USC. He played some RT this year, and played well against Cameron Jordan, whose draft stock is soaring. He's only about 290 now, so he's not ready to play yet, but he's very athletic and if he can maintain that athleticism while gaining 15-20 lbs, he could be a very good LT. Problem for the Lions is that they won't be able to get him in the second round (well, maybe) and with the uncertainty over the CBA, they may need to reach more for positional need instead of BPA.

Costanzo and Carimi are the two tackles that I think are the most ready to play in the NFL from the get go.

And neither one of them would push Backus out of a job. I wouldn't touch an OT in this draft, with your hands. LOL.

March 1st, 2011, 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next